Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2020, 16:15   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Is your car rattle-free?

1) EcoSport: no rattles but a few squeaks here and there, post every trip to Konkan. A quick visit to the A.S.S. gets this sorted

2) Tiago: there is a factory-fitted rattle on the dashboard. Post several visits to the A.S.S., now we call it a feature, not rattle.

No rattles on a seven-year old i20 and ten-year old City though.

Rattles annoy me terribly so I have a nagging need to get them fixed as quickly as I can. I've spent a significant amount of fuel pointing the rattles out to SAs over exhaustive TDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi'd View Post
My ecosport tailgate rattles like crazy. The worst part is the more I try to ignore the damn thing the more loud it sounds.
Go to an A.S.S. with a Bodyshop and have the manager take a look. Given the weight of the tailgate, the hinges and locking mechanism require minor adjustments to the setting at times. I had that rattle and lived with just getting the tailgate lubricated every few months for six months and then one day, snapped at the workshop manager. The Bodyshop manager came over and within two hours, the problem was fixed. Been three years now.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 16:16   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift - Rattle King
This had rattles, squeaks and all sorts of noises giving the occupants a 7.1 surround sound experience. Even though some of them were fixed, they kept coming back.

Ecosport - Zero
Used the car for only 2 years and the only sound was from the rear shocks when going over sharp potholes.

Creta - Hide n seek rattles
Had absolutely no issues for 3 years. But recently, there's a noise from the seat belt height adjuster section. This comes only occasionally and the HASS couldn't recreate this twice. I really wanted to open the panel and inspect but on seeing the side airbag label, I think of the Swift and think "I have seen rattles that are worse".
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 16:27   #18
BHPian

My Dad's first Maruti 800 rattled.
My Jiju's first Swift rattled.
My first, SX4 Rattled.
My Cousins first Ertiga rattled.
My Uncle's recent XL6 rattles.
My brother's first I20, did not rattle so far.
MercFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 16:56   #19
BHPian

I have owned two cars so far and here are my observations:
1. Etios 1.5
I brought this car used and it was mostly rattle free except when I go over those long perpendicular cracks on the road. Oh boy it used to rattle from everwhere! It was very surprising because it didn't rattle when I go over bumps or small potholes that affect one wheel at a time.

2. Yaris 1.5 CVT
This car is again mostly rattle free in my 6000km ownership. The only annoying sound I hear is the rear seat belt clips hitting the B/C pillar and cause that annoying little rattle. A proper seat belt slot would fix this but for now I either live with it or keep the belt buckled even when there are no rear passengers.
nagr22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 17:14   #20
BHPian

A good topic to be discussed.
I hate rattles and can't live with it for long. Will try to sort it at any cost. The rattles might crop of even in new cars, credits to our indian roads.

Here are my observations and experience of rattles with the cars of our garage.

Our earlier cars:
1. Omni:
Our first car had zero rattles till 75k KMs. Then the squeaks and rattles started. The rattles were mainly from glovebox, rear sliding doors, rear sliding mirrors and IRVMs.
Though few rattles were eliminated by changing IRVMs and glass rubber beadings, few rattles used to crop up again from glove box and sliding doors even after rectifying it. So my father decided to live with it until it was sold.

2. Santro:
This car had few rattles. The left door used to rattle , may be because of speakers. Also another main culprit for the rattle was the aftermarket parcel / speaker tray at the rear. Do whatever the rattles used to crop up again and again.
But overall as a factory spec, it was tight with less rattles.

3. i20 magna:
This was our pre-owned car, bought from my maternal uncle. So was aware everything about this car right from its early days.
Again, as a factory spec, their were zero rattles. But my uncle went ahead with aftermarket reverse camera display and auto cop. The glovebox, A pillars, under dashboard used to rattle too much.
After we bought the car, first thing to do was to put a foam lining to A pillar, refit the reverse camera display, tie all the loose ends and wiring below dashboard, refit the front door panels with new clips.
This had reduced the rattles almost 90% and was used peacefully till it was sold recently.

Coming to the current cars in the garage:
1. Ertiga:
My father's Ertiga has its due share of rattles. After getting the floor laminated, the crew had messed up with the bolt/holder cover at last seats, which has started creating noise. Also the boot cover has its own share.
But my father feels those are negligible and is ready to move with it.

2. i10:
This is the most used car of mine. Has been rattle free 90% of the times.
A few rattles had cropped up recently, thanks to glovebox, rear parcel tray, and front wheels.
All were addressed well in time. Glovebox was removed and refit with taping the hooks, double sided tapes were used for the base of rear parcel tray, and for the wheels the culprit was bake caliper pins. Have changed the complete caliper set for both left and right sides.
So now can confidently say that my car is of zero rattles, that too on a car which is 7 years old and with 80k+ KMs clocked and which sees highways, rough roads and farm roads equally.

3. Innova crystal:
Happy to say there are zero rattles till date in Innova.
Although the car is very less run, we maintain it in top notch.
Hopefully nothing new crops up in future as and when we start clocking more miles.

4. Duster 85ps:
This is our new addition to our garage, which is just 3 months old. Everything seems good and built to last.
But a minor rattle has come up from one of the rear roof lights.
The light was removed by showroom guys while fitting the accessories, the chrome outer lip to front and rear lights.
Seems like they have broken 1 or 2 clamps inside.
Need to recheck this. Will replace the complete light assemt if required, since I cannot stand the rattles.(None of family members are able to identify the noise other than me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardilip View Post
With my experience in dealing with rattling what I understand is, ASS / Service engineers never bother rattling as complaints when raised during regular maintenance service. They seldom try to understand the nature of the problem. Of course they don't fix it as well.
Yes, rightly said by you.
Had raised the concerns for my i10 rattles, but they told it's common. Then I went ahead with DIY method to fix the rattles from glovebox and rear parcel tray.
DLC5005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 17:15   #21
BHPian

Our Ecosport started rattling just 2 days after we took delivery. We searched and searched to find the source of the rattle, but in the end we couldn't. Mysteriously, one day the rattle had gone. What had changed?

We took a water bottle out of the rear seat cupholder that was rubbing against the seat.

Thankfully it has been rattle free since.
Old 4th March 2020, 17:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

My 2004 Ford Ikon 1.6 zxi nxt has no rattles (or squeaks), having clocked slightly above 110k. Earlier in it's life it did manage to experience fair amount of travels to the hills with varying degrees of road surface non-existence. The doors still shut with grace.
Old 4th March 2020, 18:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to the grade 3 roads in Bangalore, my supposedly well-built Polo rattles.

There is a rubbing sound, made by the door weather seals, when negotiating the car over the lunar craters and rain forest challenge certified roads in Bangalore.

There is a taktak noise from the steering column, on going over poor surfaces.
abhishek46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 18:24   #24
BHPian

Yes, my car is rattle free!
And surprisingly, it's a Maruti
I have the current gen Dzire and there are absolutely no rattles. In fact, it's much better than my uncle's Honda City (2014) which rattles a lot.
Even my previous car (MS Dzire 2009) didn't have this issue.
Usually people associate Maruti cars with a lot of rattles but my experience so far has been pretty good.
Nazaar25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 18:39   #25
UMe
BHPian

Looking at most of the comments here about Maruti Cars. Surprisingly, I do not find any noticeable rattle in my Maruti Swift petrol year 2011 manufactured.
That makes me think, what makes a car rattle if it does:

-Is it the number of kms run? Or year of manufacturing?
-Is it the manufacturing defects?
-Is it the workmanship or QC?
-Is it the Bad Roads?

Or, may be in combination!!
UMe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 19:04   #26
mxx
BHPian

I recently sold my Ford Figo (1st Gen). It had clocked close to 1,30,000 Kms and not a single rattle till I sold it.
Cannot say the same for i10 (2007 model year) that I owned before that. Rattles started early, somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000 kms.
Old 4th March 2020, 19:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

2003 Alto - Yes but at that price point, we thought rattles is part of the kit, so never really bothered. I am sure there was lots of it, esp when those tiny tyres ran cross the concrete patched flyovers and bridges!

2005 Swift - First 6 months or so was good but after rattles slowly started creeping in. Dash, door pads, Parcel tray, Glove box, soon the list was endless. By the end of second year, Rattle was its second name.

2008 i10 - Not as bad as swift, but not free of it either. The Rattles somehow was present in the entire dashboard and not on doors or other areas. But have to mention that the Rattles are of really high quality, you can say quite Sophisticated rattles for a hatch back.

2010 Fiesta - Extremely well put; even after i removed the entire Dash and put it back to install a high end custom audio, they stayed well put for most part of its life with me. One or two did crop up here and there, but they were identifiable and fixable . Impressed.

2012 Verito - Too short a period to understand Rattles. 385 Days, 15000 kms but was free from rattles for that time period

2013 Rapid - Was very good and tight till it met with a weird accident. After spending a month at Skoda ASS undergoing body repairs, it became very average. Rattles used to come now and then ! Eventually destiny killed the rattle by drowning the car in Chennai Floods !

2016 Scross - 16 Lac Maruti and Rattles ? You bet ! But have to agree that it was probably the least rattling Maruti south of 16 L. However, it wasnt as good as Creta or Ecosport when it came to rattles

2019 Tiago JTP - After 20 years of driving , this car taught me how to live with Rattles and still not feel perturbed by it. It taught me how to befriend an age-old nemesis. Rattles can come and go any time they want, you have no clue how, where or when ! Beyond a point, you understand its part of life, you make peace by accepting whatever it throws at you.
Mi10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 19:29   #28
BHPian

"Is your car rattle free" ?
- I feel it is both Yes and No. Coming on this in the later part of the post.

And slightly subjective a topic too - as, a non rattle for someone could be equivalent to very stressful noise for someone else leading to depression, while rest of us can find a middle ground.

While most of the previous posts have already covered on how (their) different cars have various degree of rattle, cars from specific brands generally have more rattles than others or how quality construct and use of material makes a difference, I feel two additional aspects which are equally important are:

1. Driving style.
2. Road/Terrains the vehicle is subject to.

apart from the inherent qualities of the particular car.

Among my friends, I have seen so many driving their sedans and hatches with short travel suspensions (relative to Innovas, Dusters) on broken roads of Bangalore and those infamous flyover expansion joints at higher speeds and still hope their cars to be rattle free, which is an impossible feat even for the likes of German marques or similar, beyond a point. There are owners in this very forum itself who have ranted or shown satisfaction w.r.t rattling and noises for the very same brand of car (Maruti Swift iirc), where the driving style was the key difference.

So, I would say, "Yes" my car has rattles if I drive it mercilessly on broken patches, and "No, not all" when driven very carefully across various patches of roads. In general, the car I drive presently inherently does not have rattling issues, but I am sure, if I keep abusing it, it will for sure start making noises at some point or other.

All the other reasons of having rattles are already covered in the previous posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
2003 Alto
2019 Tiago JTP - After 20 years of driving , this car taught me how to live with Rattles and still not feel perturbed by it. It taught me how to befriend an age-old nemesis. Rattles can come and go any time they want, you have no clue how, where or when ! Beyond a point, you understand its part of life, you make peace by accepting whatever it throws at you.
I feel, more than the car, it is the 20 years of driving and the journey from 2003 to 2019 :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
Looking at most of the comments here about Maruti Cars. Surprisingly, I do not find any noticeable rattle in my Maruti Swift petrol year 2011 manufactured.
There we have, another swift owner. I can imagine with how much care you might have been driving your swift on those super smooth Bangalore roads then.

Last edited by arighna.dutta : 4th March 2020 at 19:54.
arighna.dutta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 19:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

All my current and previous cars were rattle-free including M800, WagonR, City, Baleno and now Seltos.

Touchwood though!
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 21:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Considering my Fiesta is 14 years old and my dad's Fiesta is 11 years old, I am pretty impressed with the minimal rattles. Of course, there are a few things here and there, but not too bad overall. My Alto and Esteem, both of which have now been sold weren't as impressive, but overall I was reasonably pleased. Despite driving them in Coorg, it didn't have too many rattles

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks