Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 15:27   #91
BHPian

Re: Is your car rattle-free?

Rattles ..

My 2010 Altis is the home to an adult Texas Rattlesnake. Now I agree that it has been driven only over bad roads since over 2 years, but still the rattlesnake should've been a baby and not an adult, since the roads are so bad that we've to crawl in the 1st gear at many places. There are rattles inside steering box, the suspension is bad enough to produce rattles and there are bigger ones near the rear parcel tray area.

As compared to the Altis, our earlier, old IDI Indigo was rock solid. I was a newbie when we bought the Indigo and therefore I was a bit careless and fast. Still it did not rattle. The paint quality was also better than the Toyota.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 16:11   #92
BHPian

My 2011 i20 (now sold) was rattle free till the day I parted ways with her at 62000kms and 9 years later. When I first bought her, I was amazed by how silent and rattle free a car can be, especially after having driven my dad's 2008 swift petrol till then. It was a day and night difference between what was essentially 2 cars from the same segment (at that point in time).

My i20 took us to through all kinds of roads and to all the 5 south Indian states with aplomb. Never once did she complain or let her feelings known by squeaking or rattling even when not babying her (which was almost always).

My wife's current Alto K10 of 2017 vintage is a rattle king. I enjoyed driving this machine for the first few months especially since it was an AMT and it felt like a baby in comparison to the i20. But now, I make it a point to happily hand over her keys to my wife who doesnt mind rattles as much.

I cant even drown rattles on this thing with music. The doors start rattling with the slightest beat.

Last edited by racer_ash : 9th March 2020 at 16:13.
Old 10th March 2020, 15:12   #93
BHPian

My 2001 Opel Corsa was rattle free. After nearly 8 years of use though, the aftermarket Blaupunkt audio system loosened and was causing quitesome noise.
On the other hand the Vento 2012 model has lot of rattles right from day 1; doors, handrest and few more which VW has not been able to fix at all.
Old 10th March 2020, 19:35   #94
BHPian

2009 Ford Figo, 2013 Honda City V and 2016 Ford Endeavor: All have been rattle-free, which is all the more surprising given the state of roads in Namma Bengaluru. The occasional rattle I get from the City or the Endeavor is human induced such as when the passenger exits the vehicle without letting the seat belt retract fully or loose coins and such.
jfk1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 20:14   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
..I am a believer that a vehicle should drive like it came out of the showroom throughout its life time with adequate maintenance! ...
The retro/early Fiat Palio that I had for 12+ years with almost all brazilian parts was completely rattle free throughout and always felt like it was carved out of a single block of metal/material. Everything so tight and solid and very well put together to behave like one piece.
It drove like very much in the quote above with a yearly once service at authorized center as per the manual.

During the only breakdown it had a year before its sale, the tow rope was tied to the front suspension member and the front of the car was lifted up completely squeezing/crushing the lower part of the bumper. After reaching the destination, after lowering the car and removing the tow rope, the lower part of the bumper just slowly flexed back slowly and regained its shape and form like a miracle. The towing guys were shocked and in awe of the bumper's quality and strength. Just a nostalgic memory now

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th March 2020 at 20:21.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 13:05   #96
BHPian

Nexon is disappointing in this regard. I have few mild rattles (when going over rough patch) which has not been attended to by TATA for the last 5 times i complained.

I heard Ecosport is more robust in this space. Can any ecosport owner confirm if their cars rattle
Old 11th March 2020, 13:21   #97
BANNED

Creta (Oct 2017 & 75,000 kms done) - Rattles are from the parcel tray only. Rest is put well together. Planning to do some jugaad to arrest the rattle.
Old 11th March 2020, 13:59   #98
BHPian

I own Hyundai i10. In the last ten years of ownership, it was probably rattle free for 6 months in total. Door pads, front console, suspension, every part of the vehicle is rattle ready. Have spent so much money to fix these rattles over time, only to get replaced by other rattles.
Raghuwire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 14:20   #99
BHPian

2018 Grand i10: Tail gate rattles on every uneven surface. Sometimes while turning at speeds as well. Complained about this twice. SVC applied an insulation tape. They did not even identify where the rattle originated from.

2019 Santro AMT: no rattles as of now (touchwood)

2013 i10 (sold): could not find a panel that did not rattle in the 6 years our ownership.
Old 11th March 2020, 14:35   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
I own Hyundai i10. In the last ten years of ownership, it was probably rattle free for 6 months in total. Door pads, front console, suspension, every part of the vehicle is rattle ready. Have spent so much money to fix these rattles over time, only to get replaced by other rattles.
Hi Raghuwire,
Sorry to hear about your ordeal with i10.

I too own a i10, a 1.2 sports variant from 2013 make.
But, In my case the rattles have remained far off from my car.

The only rattles I faced were : (last year)
1. Parcel tray noise - Fixed
2. Front left door - issue was with speaker - Fixed
3. Front wheels - issue was with caliper pins - Fixed
And none of the above or new issues have come up again.

My i10 sees equal amount of Bangalore traffic, highways, village and rough roads. And even after covering 84k KMs and 7 years, it still fells tight and good as it was on day one.

So, in your case, did the Hyundai A.S.S try to resolve the issues? If so, what answer do they have, when the issue/rattles reappear?

I know how it feels to live with rattles, that too after spending so much of time and money.
DLC5005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 19:29   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
I own Hyundai i10. In the last ten years of ownership, it was probably rattle free for 6 months in total.
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
2013 i10 (sold): could not find a panel that did not rattle in the 6 years our ownership.
2010 i10 (Sold) - Surprising to hear rattle issues with i10. I had i10 Magna AT from 2010 to 2018 and drove for 21k kms before selling it. It was totally rattle free and did not face issues even with parcel tray.

2018 Yaris - It has been rattle free till now, touchwood. Not even a single squeak though my running is low and have covered just around 7.5k kms.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 11:03   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post
Hi Raghuwire,
Sorry to hear about your ordeal with i10.

I too own a i10, a 1.2 sports variant from 2013 make.
But, In my case the rattles have remained far off from my car.

The only rattles I faced were : (last year)
1. Parcel tray noise - Fixed
2. Front left door - issue was with speaker - Fixed
3. Front wheels - issue was with caliper pins - Fixed
And none of the above or new issues have come up again.

My i10 sees equal amount of Bangalore traffic, highways, village and rough roads. And even after covering 84k KMs and 7 years, it still fells tight and good as it was on day one.

So, in your case, did the Hyundai A.S.S try to resolve the issues? If so, what answer do they have, when the issue/rattles reappear?

I know how it feels to live with rattles, that too after spending so much of time and money.
Hey. Maybe I bought a lemon. But maybe the Bangalore roads added to the faster degradation of the car. We have driven around 65000 km in 10 years, which is not much. Regarding Hyundai A.S.S, it's really expensive. All my services have cost on an average 8k or over in the last 4 years. So, now in last 2 years, I have decided to live with rattles. It's just was too expensive for me now. Have been pushing the purchase of a new car for a while now. I hope to make the jump soon.

Funny thing, a respected BHPian told me it was my driving style, so we did multiple trips in my car and he analysed my driving style, and in the end said, I got a lemon!!!
Old 12th March 2020, 11:35   #103
Senior - BHPian

No rattles on a 2012 Vista that has done 1,58,000 kms. It's a truck that I use with basic maintenance and cleaning. I don't baby my vehicles. Services when due, interiors once or twice a year (the beige is a pain to maintain), and a wash every week.

The rattle kings I had were the Gyspy King, probably the Sumo and Ambassador.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 13:49   #104
Senior - BHPian

Rattles can be a pain, even minor ones. Especially if you can't identify the source & fix it.
My 2005 BalenoLXi has thankfully been rattle-free, inspite of being used on bad roads (the Chennai OMR while it was being built/laid) & having had a few hits on the rear & left side. I had made the below post when the car was just 2 years old. 13years later the Black Beauty still remains rattle-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
No squeak/rattle anywhere. And that talks a lot about the car because, of my 40kms daily commute, 12kms are on almost nil roads or real bad roads. The only rattle heard in the car is from the rosary hanging on the IRVM.
Old 15th March 2020, 16:19   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Good topic!

So advice to all people chasing rattles, if any mechanic says "Kholke dekhna padega kya awaaz hai! (Need to open and see where the sound comes from)".

KHOLNA MAT! (DO NOT OPEN)
Yeah i wish i had heard this advice two years ago, when i was desperate to fix a sound coming from the instrument cluster of my Tiago ( 2016 ).

Took it to Hyson Motors and first three times they ignored my complaints and pretended like they fixed it and the fourth time, when i started pestering them, they resorted to fix pieces of thermocoal between the cluster corners, and it was when i found out about it and expressed my displeasure that they finally opened the dashboard to try and fix it.
And alas, that was what killed everything. Initial sound came back after a few weeks but along with that, i got a lot of bonus rattles, my dashboard became loose on the right side ( i could push it in with my hand ) , squeaking and creaking noises everywhere.

If i encounter a pothole on the road, i hear a loud thud inside from the dashboard probably because it is not properly fixed.

After a while i got fed up with the service center geniuses and i learned to live with it.

Worst decision I've made in a long time, to allow the service centre gems to touch my dashboard, atleast i learned my lesson.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks