Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th March 2020, 18:14   #106
AAD
BHPian

Default Re: Is your car rattle-free?

Hi Guys,
I drive Fortuner 2015 Model AT 4x4 which has done 1.22 Lakh Kms till date. If I were to ignore the noise made by stuff that I carry in the Glove Box and other storage spaces, I would say that the Car is 99.9% rattle free. A tribute to the solid build quality of the fortuner.

The only noise (not rattle) that I get occassionally is from the seat latches which hook on to floor anchors of the middle or last row of seats back into its normal resting position. The remedy that the folks at La Kozy Toyota Malad have suggested is to wind insulation tape on the floor anchor hooks so as to eliminate the gap and prevent metal to metal contact. And this remedy typically lasts for about 10k kms.

The other noise that I could not stand was the rubbing noise generated between the seat and back of the last row when it was folded up and latched with the help of Velcro straps. The velcro straps have lost their bite and within a few kms of driving they tend to work themselves loose and the rubbing noise between the seat and the back makes itself heard. This noise is most annoying.

Earlier I would therefore always keep my rear seats in normal position or at most would fold the seat back when needed to load luggage.

About 2 months ago, I fixed 3m Dual Lock re closable fasteners ( a very heavy duty version of the standard velcro strap) which I stitched over the existing straps and since then the rubbing noise has completely disappeared.

I of course maintain my vehicle very well and am the sole driver so perhaps that also helps in keeping my vehicle ship shape. Having said that my Fortuner has been off roading, snow driving, sand duning and worst of all has been driven over bad, monsoon washed roads & highways at high speed over the past 4.5 years.

Still No Rattles. Cheers to that.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 5th May 2020 at 11:32. Reason: Edited to remove double line spacing.
Old 15th March 2020, 21:56   #107
BHPian

Hello

I have a 2013 i10 Sports, and on the rare occasions I keep my subwoofer volume down, the only irritant is a gas leaking noise which comes from the engine south of 2k RPM in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, especially when the car is accelerating.

Now given that my car has had its share of bumps and bruises down under (and that it sounds like a sports car on starting up, with a deep bassy sound), I am considering that it has something to do with my exhaust pipe getting cracked up somewhere.

Apart from that, despite almost 7 yrs and 45k on the ODO and 2 North-South trips, she still sounds (and runs) as if fresh off of the factory floor
Old 16th March 2020, 07:17   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Nexon is disappointing in this regard. I have few mild rattles (when going over rough patch) which has not been attended to by TATA for the last 5 times i complained.

I heard Ecosport is more robust in this space. Can any ecosport owner confirm if their cars rattle
Key point with tata, maybe they probably can fix most rattles but you have to stay at the service centre watching over the work.

And also, even more important than that, if they say that they've to open the dashboard to fix any rattles you might have from that area, SAY NO IMMEDIATELY, unless you want a million other rattles in your car along with the original rattles.

99% of the time, they'll break some clamp or the other and will try to fix the dashboard in anyway to not let their supervisor see this, or maybe the supervisor is also in with the scam.

If possible also avoid the vinyl carpeting ( or whatever it's called, I forgot ), I think they remove the part of the centre console which extends back between the front seats, and they'll probably not fix it like factory finish.

Better to pretend to not hear one or two rattles than have broken clamps and ten rattles.

Last edited by SaiSW : 16th March 2020 at 07:19.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 16:30   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Hello

I have a 2013 i10 Sports, and on the rare occasions I keep my subwoofer volume down, the only irritant is a gas leaking noise which comes from the engine south of 2k RPM in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, especially when the car is accelerating.

Now given that my car has had its share of bumps and bruises down under (and that it sounds like a sports car on starting up, with a deep bassy sound), I am considering that it has something to do with my exhaust pipe getting cracked up somewhere.

Apart from that, despite almost 7 yrs and 45k on the ODO and 2 North-South trips, she still sounds (and runs) as if fresh off of the factory floor
Hi, i have a an i10 too which had the same issue with exhaust. I however enjoyed that bad exhaust for its deep bass and sports car like sound,later my dad got it fixed from a local mechanic, its the only fault i loved in the car. My car also makes a very weird rattling metal sound from the rear of the car when i take sharp turns under acceleration or accelerating the car in a higher gear than the one it should be in, this developed post exhaust repair and i have no idea what it is from(checked my spare tire well too but its not the culprit)
Old 16th March 2020, 19:53   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickshift99 View Post
Hi, i have a an i10 too which had the same issue with exhaust. I however enjoyed that bad exhaust for its deep bass and sports car like sound,later my dad got it fixed from a local mechanic, its the only fault i loved in the car. My car also makes a very weird rattling metal sound from the rear of the car when i take sharp turns under acceleration or accelerating the car in a higher gear than the one it should be in, this developed post exhaust repair and i have no idea what it is from(checked my spare tire well too but its not the culprit)
What exactly did your dad get repaired? Service center says get the exhaust replaced, it will probably cost me 10000 or so. My bumper is done and dusted and my bonnet paint is chipped so I'm planning to claim insurance once I return to Chandigarh.

The rattling sound might be loose tools in the boot, since the car vibrates when in higher gear at low RPM. Also, check for the mounting of the exhaust pipe, whose rubber damper might be improperly fixed which could lead to metal to metal contact.

Last edited by jasjotbains : 16th March 2020 at 19:54.
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 20:19   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
What exactly did your dad get repaired? Service center says get the exhaust replaced, it will probably cost me 10000 or so.
The bendpipe from engine to underbelly is low sprung and is prone to dents and cracks that may even catch rusting after a few years due to scratched bare metal. The local mechanic welded the crack and also added a metal mesh in the exhaust pipe as far as i can recall. The car is super silent now. Thanks for the suggestion, iíll get the exhaust mounting checked
Slickshift99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 22:30   #112
BHPian

Here's my experience about car rattling

Brothers Elantra is pretty much rattle proof even on bad road patches. Hyundai interior fit and finish are indeed admirable.

Father's 6 years old Wagon R has been abused pretty bad, still it rattles less compared to very much pampered ~4 year old Tiago.

My Tiago has dashboard rattle over rough road patches. The rear door started to rattle like a toy after 2 years and service center did rectify it very well (one of the screws got loose over time).
I refrained from dashboard rattling rectification that time because I had seen few Tiago owner regretting the goofed up job by the service center (Poor job outcome as well as praying tool injuries over dashboard panels).
Attached Thumbnails
Is your car rattle-free?-img_20180522_1505181.jpg  

gjnnbagal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 23:25   #113
BHPian

My Punto which is over 9 years old rattles and it's very annoying. Somewhere around the glovebox area, the after market music system and some panels.

I got the 3M acoustic treatment done a few months back, that fixed some issues in door rattles.

Only way to fix this now is to turn up the volume and enjoy the music. I wanted to purchase car this year, thats now indefinitely postponed.
Old 30th April 2020, 18:47   #114
Senior - BHPian

My 7 year old Ritz is rattle free. Heard that its one of the first rattle free cars from the Maruti stable!
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 12:07   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
My 7 year old Ritz is rattle free. Heard that its one of the first rattle free cars from the Maruti stable!
I drove a Ritz for 7 years and yes, it is really well build. But thanks to poor roads, I developed some rattling in the car, and especially a challenge with the front left suspension (I missed a major pothole in waterlogged conditions once) created some heart burns.

This brings me to a bigger question, are any cars in India rattle free after few years of usage?
Old 1st May 2020, 12:47   #116
BHPian

My three year old, 2nd gen Swift is rattle free as of today. I did take care of her well. Never hit a pothole or speed breaker, slowed done in bad and non-existance roads. Inspite of that, there was a rattle in A-Pillar for few days and it disappeared later.
Ponbaarathi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 13:39   #117
BHPian

I will list down my ownership experience (rather rattle experience ) with the cars we owned/own-

1. Alto 2004- It used to rattle on any road imperfection and it used to drive me crazy as a kid (I was 10 & a budding enthusiast) & I always felt that there was some defect with our car, we drove it 93,000kms and then sold.

2. Estilo KB10 2009- I was so happy that the interior was so silent when compared to our alto but that happiness didn't last long as the rattles started creeping in at around 10,000kms and by the time we bid her bye at around 2L km, the car became a rattling queen, she used to rattle even on perfect roads.

3. Tata Sumo 2014- Things were going great, it was pretty decent in terms of rattle until my stupid chauffer toppled it on an empty highway. The guy was driving the car with aerodynamics of a brick at 140kmph and he swerved hard into the divider making the car toppled thrice, thankfully he walked out without much injury but the car took beating. We got rid of the car and the driver since she started rattling like hell after repairs and the guy wasn't trustworthy anymore.

4. Tata Nano- Since we could not afford a new car at that moment we bought a used Nano as a replacement for my mother's Tata Sumo and touchwood even after 45K the Nano is pretty much rattle-free or probably the engine makes such a ruckus that we can't hear rattles

5. Skoda Rapid DSG 2019- In our entire 15-year experience of 5 car ownerships, this is one of the finest engineered cars we have ever bought. Everything is built for a purpose and the car has been to roads/no roads of CG, MP, TL, MH, UP so far and even with 26,000kms on the odo there's not a single rattle. Touchwood! At times the door beading does create cacophony but cleaning and polishing do the job. Fingers crossed, hopefully, it stays this way for the coming years.

This was clicked during one of the drives to the majestic Bastar
Is your car rattle-free?-img_20190930_093216.jpg
sachin_cs is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 15:35   #118
BHPian

My 71k done Suzuki Scross is completely rattling free even after driving it on not-so-perfect city roads all the time. The only rattle that pops up is when the parcel tray slips out of the bracket while opening the boot.

My previous car, the gen 2 Swift which had done 123k kms also was almost free from rattle. It developed a slight squeaking sound near the music system past 100k which was simply ignorable.

It is said that Maruti cars are rattle boxes but my case is exactly on the other side.
northstar* is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 16:13   #119
Senior - BHPian

My Polo GT TSi has a mild rattle near the rear left wheel, which refuses to go away. In contrast, my 2018 Honda City is surprisingly rattle-free.
Old 5th May 2020, 11:30   #120
BHPian

Our 2014 Honda City is completely rattle free. Somewhere after 2years or so the glovebox had started making mild vibrating noise on accelerating but was fixed by the Service Centre. No problems since then. Was rear-ended pretty badly by a Scorpio 3 years back and was repaired satisfactorily.
The car has seen broken and non-existent roads for 50% of its lifetime and not so good the rest. It has been a completely trouble free ownership so far.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 5th May 2020 at 11:33. Reason: Removed smilies used from mobile. Please use the inbuilt smilies.
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed