Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th May 2020, 12:52   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Is your car rattle-free?

My Honda City CVT is rattle free; it's 3 years old and so is the Grand i10 belonging to my son, it's 5 years old.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 18:37   #122
BHPian

My 5 year old Swift ZXI sounds like rattlesnake. And company workshop can't guarantee to remove these sounds.
pranjal1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 11:04   #123
BHPian

Our 2008 Chevrolet Spark 1.0 PS - The car being more than 11 years old with 70k Odometer Reading, one of the doors has started rattling. Otherwise, it is a solid and trusty little city car.
Our 2016 Volkswagen Vento 1.2 TSI - This car is 4 years old now but has covered more than 71k. Typical German Build Quality with no rattling whatsoever. Only a slightly annoying noise while braking .
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 00:17   #124

2017 Baleno CVT: Plenty of rattles, from the dashboard to door pads to windows, absolutely everything rattles and the most annoying of them is the handbrake button, but noticeable only when the imperfections on roads are small and sharp, on smooth roads it's fine. No clue how to get rid of these, and I fear if the dashboard is opened to sort these out, it might only become worse. The fact that it has done a mere 30k bothers me even more.

2013 i20 A/T: Absolutely rattle free even after almost 8 years, absolutely love driving this if only it were more spacious.

If anyone has information of a good workshops/mechanics competent enough to solve these issues, please do inform
MotoBlip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 08:38   #125
BHPian

My first Gen, first batch XUV500 has plenty of rattles from the doorpads and windows. I have pointed this out from the very first service and still has not been rectified by the many service centers I have visited. I have spoken with many XUV500 owners of the first gen model and they all face the same issues. One such owner even pointed out that there is no point in even rectifying the rattles as he feels that the first batch of XUV500 were built to a cost and had lots of issues in the debut year. I have since then drove the facelift model of my friend and also the recent one and I was surprised to see the interior quality was much more improved and not a faintest of rattle was heard while I drove them. This just confirms the theory that owner told me that the first batch cars were just so terribly compromised in quality and we were just testing bed for Mahindra to improve their product. Other that the poorly screwed interior parts and quality and the occasional electrical bugs, the mHawk engine makes me forget such flaws easily.
karthick_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 08:09   #126

My 2019 i20 asta option has a rattle from the glovebox area and it's driving me nuts!

Things I have done - applied a felt tape on the two door hinges inside the tray, applied a 'cloth'tape on the inner surface of tray that touches the dashboard. Each time it feels like the rattle has stopped, only to resurface again.

Took it to the service centre and was informed this is normal on our roads!

The weird part is when my wife pushes againt the glovebox lid the rattle vanishes, but felt tape does not elimiate noise when applied on the inner side. I tried to keep the lid open while driving, and new noises are introduced!

Please, if any BHPians can help me out here..
loneagl09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 09:27   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneagl09 View Post
The weird part is when my wife pushes againt the glovebox lid the rattle vanishes, but felt tape does not elimiate noise when applied on the inner side. I tried to keep the lid open while driving, and new noises are introduced!

Please, if any BHPians can help me out here..
I think the problem is not that the "touch point" of one plastic surface rubbing/hitting another is without a softening barrier - the problem is the presence of vibration itself. Instead of focussing on how to "soften" the contact point (which is not helping, since the vibration is strong enough to make a sound 'through the felt material') , focus on the hinge, why does it transmit so many vibration - is the sleeve-over-ball/cylinder that the hinge is, not "tight" enough ?
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 12:31   #128

My Honda City, 2012 model and ran over 98000km, still running smooth and rattle free, but since its 9 years old and wanted an Auto, trying to upgrade.
Raphel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 12:53   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 2019 i20 asta option has a rattle from the glovebox area and it's driving me nuts!

Please check if the spring loaded latch of the glove box keeps the lid closed tightly enough. I think this is what venkyhere is trying to point out.

Also observe if the lid is vibrating on top side (latch) or the bottom side (hinge). If it is vibrating on the bottom side, check if the hinge pins fit loose in the lid.

Make sure that the glove box is empty when you check for the rattles.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 11th July 2021 at 12:55.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 15:41   #130
BHPian

My 5 year old Honda Jazz is still rattle-free, thankfully!
sanchari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 16:12   #131
BHPian

11 year old TATA Manza that I have is still rattle free. I have driven it in all sorts of roads and the cabin has held up very well. Though there are many niggles, and every month something or other will fail, rattle is yet to come.
Old 11th July 2021, 19:15   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I think the problem is not that the "touch point" of one plastic surface rubbing/hitting another is without a softening barrier - the problem is the presence of vibration itself. Instead of focussing on how to "soften" the contact point (which is not helping, since the vibration is strong enough to make a sound 'through the felt material') , focus on the hinge, why does it transmit so many vibration - is the sleeve-over-ball/cylinder that the hinge is, not "tight" enough ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Please check if the spring loaded latch of the glove box keeps the lid closed tightly enough. I think this is what venkyhere is trying to point out.

Also observe if the lid is vibrating on top side (latch) or the bottom side (hinge). If it is vibrating on the bottom side, check if the hinge pins fit loose in the lid.

Make sure that the glove box is empty when you check for the rattles.
Thank you for the quick replies. I wasn't able to test what you suggested until this eveing. I staright up laid upside down beneath the left side of the cosole (after scooting back the passenger seat), and saw there 4 hinges around the lid. I have no idea how to check if the hinges are ok or loose, but I tightened the screw that is recessed. Have attached a pic from the bottom of the left side where two hinges are seen.Is your car rattle-free?-pxl_20210711_131536913_2.jpg
Old 11th July 2021, 20:46   #133
BHPian

Earlier, we had a Grand i10 for 5 years. It was completely rattle free & niggle free. We've driven it on all kinds of roads. It's a well put together car inside out (exterior & interior).
Old 11th July 2021, 22:05   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I staright up laid upside down beneath the left side of the cosole (after scooting back the passenger seat), and saw there 4 hinges around the lid. I have no idea how to check if the hinges are ok or loose, but I tightened the screw that is recessed. Have attached a pic from the bottom of the left side where two hinges are seen.
Yes, the i20 glove box has 4 hinges and one latch encircled in red in the picture below. You can check for play / looseness at these points.

Play in the hinges seems difficult, especially when there are four. But if the hinges are attached to some other member which is loosely fastened, it can rattle.
Attached Images

Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 10:05   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Yes, the i20 glove box has 4 hinges and one latch encircled in red in the picture below. You can check for play / looseness at these points.

Play in the hinges seems difficult, especially when there are four. But if the hinges are attached to some other member which is loosely fastened, it can rattle.
I popped out the lid from both sides and thought the plastic was hitting instead of the rubber on the side hinge. Anyway, the sound is completely gone now. Thanks eveyone for your help! Hope it stays this way

Most Viewed