Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 18:53   #16
BHPian

Re: February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Interesting to note is Tata Nexon is maintaining its sales numbers despite steep price hike. I actually thought they will slip but Nexon has maintained its position. They must be making a lot of money on this model. Probably the most profitable
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 19:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

A few things that are evident in the Q4 sales.
  • Skoda is every consistent at 1200 odd units and ensures it is doing better than VW.
  • VW mostly has cleared out the BS4 stocks and hence the spike in Jan 2020 numbers and a lull in Feb 2020
  • Volumes for TATA yet to come from Altroz and Harrier. As usual, they struggle with execution
  • KIA with Sonet will ensure they will cement their place at the 3rd spot and will most probably have a collective market share of 30%. Mind you most of the volumes come from the upper segment and not the bare bone models like Maruti Suzuki.
  • Toyota is a two-product wonder. I hope more models come and give them a tough fight to wake them up from their slumber.
  • Post April it will be interesting to see the Maruti Suzuki numbers. They stuff the cars to the dealerships. It will be interesting to see how this pans out without diesel in the portfolio and dealerships' reaction to this.
nkrishnap is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 20:36   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

70 despatches for Gypsy! As far as I recall, it's available with the 1.3L G series engine which hasn't been converted to BS6. So how is Maruti planning to go ahead with its production is something to watch for.

February 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-screenshot_20200305204310__01__01.jpg

Another thing to note is, Ertiga plus XL6 is at 15668, way ahead of Seltos. XL6 is only petrol offering, what percentage of Ertiga were diesel despatch is something to look at. Or were they all petrol?

Last edited by BoneCollector : 5th March 2020 at 20:44.
BoneCollector is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 21:18   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
70 despatches for Gypsy! As far as I recall, it's available with the 1.3L G series engine which hasn't been converted to BS6. So how is Maruti planning to go ahead with its production is something to watch for.
Maruti Gypsy has been brought back to production after Army came with its requirement, and it has got a special exemption for emissions from Defence Ministry IIRC. Also it can't be sold to civilians. It's being produced only in Army spec in White and Military Green colour.

Maruti had to re-construct its assembly line. Long live the Gypsy.

https://www.news18.com/news/auto/mar...r-2172075.html

Quote:
Indian Army got the waiver from Ministry of Defence to restart the production of Maruti Gypsy even though the SUV doesn't meet emission and safety norms.
Quote:
the Indian Army has sought an additional 3051 units to meet their demand
Leoshashi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 21:30   #20
BHPian

I guess these numbers will rearrange once BS6 timeline goes past and new launches roll out.

BTW, I'm wondering if it's time to accord Wagon-R, the greatest car ever made title.
pannags is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 22:21   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

More insights to the Feb-20 sales data - Here is how the segments fared in Feb’20.

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 7988
Size:  163.3 KB

- Compact Hatchback segment still is in demand

-MUV’s have gain very strong traction and was the segment biggest segment in terms of volumes in Feb’20

-Sedans have suffered tremendously in recent times, no new entries planned in this segment.

- Compact Sedan category has fell drastically and is solely dependent on Maruti Dzire.

-Compact SUVs are slowly nearing Premium Hatchback numbers and may soon overtake them.

-Entry Hatch is Maruti’s forte and over 85% of segment’s volumes is dominated by Maruti models. Did close to 27.8k units in Feb’20 itself (Alto + S-Presso).

-Eeco is sole runner in the Vans segment, though it is a tall order to fill in Omni's space. However Maruti has done a commendable job and now Eeco alone sold over 11k units in Feb’20 and also fared as the 7th best selling car for the month.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 10:25   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Maruti Gypsy has been brought back to production after Army came with its requirement, and it has got a special exemption for emissions from Defence Ministry IIRC. Also it can't be sold to civilians. It's being produced only in Army spec in White and Military Green colour.

Maruti had to re-construct its assembly line.
They may never stop that production line because:

i .The Army orders for Gypsy may come again
ii. The same production line may be used for the Jimny as well
iii. Who knows, the Army may switch to Jimny at a later stage!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 6th March 2020 at 10:26.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 10:56   #23
BHPian

Is it fair assessment then that a lot of manufactures continued with their BS4 portfolio well into February, likes of Skoda, VW, Mahindra etc?

With no announcements of petrol portfolio or BS6 transition for diesels, it appears that cars like Rapid, Hexa, Vento, Kicks etc could be available at good discounts in March 2020
Diesel_Drives is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 11:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
Polo numbers are plummeting, needs a special edition!
Corolla is 0 units, that's surprising, finished bs4 stock and no bs6 dispatches yet?
I believe the Polo BS6 dispatches start this month with the 1.0 L engine. The previous gen petrol, diesel and TSI engines have been discontinued.
Toyota will not be shipping BS6 Corolla anytime soon. They have discontinued the Altis as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Hyundai Elantra - When will you learn that you can't compete with Skoda Octavia and Honda civic ? Make it a segment below Octavia and slightly above Verna, cut off a 3 lac from the pricing and try.
With the Elantra it is Hyundai to blame. If you are a prospective buyer and visit the showroom for a TD, they will in all probability not have a car because Elantra and Tucson TD has been outsourced to a 3rd party. The dealer gets in touch with them and checks if the car is available and then confirms which is most cases not available. I drove the Elantra recently on a recommendation from this forum and found it it to be better to drive than the Civic.
Baddychat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 11:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

I am just wondering - with a 20 lakh rupee car and a 30+ lakh rupee car, Kia is making such massive inroads already, all within the short timeframe that it has been in the Indian market. I cant wait to see how the Kia Sonet will disrupt the market when it is finally launched. That will be a fantastic product, and I expect sales numbers to zoom well beyond the present numbers which Kia has achieved.

On a separate note, cannot help but marvel at the numbers Wagon R has been doing for years and years now, with no signs of slowing down whatsoever. My parents have just picked one up back in my hometown, and this is the second Wagon R that they will own (we had the very first gen in 2001). The new one is certainly a well rounded product, improving on the already wildly successful formula adopted by the first few gen models.
arindambasu13 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 12:14   #26
BHPian

While a lot of it might have to do with the recession in the rural economy, I'm predicting that the Alto will slowly become less popular as people start preferring bigger models like the Wagon R or Swift. Even those who are looking at cars circa 3-3.5 lakhs might prefer to stretch to the base variant of the Wagon R or the Swift or go for a used car.

The winners are Maruti and Kia while Renault has enough successful products to be a 'safe' brand. Hyundai is waiting for the next gen i20, Creta and Verna.

Mahindra's drop can be explained by the following factors - the bolero is dependent on the rural sector which is struggling while the Scorpio and XUV500 could be affected by lack of supplies from China and the fact that their next gen is just round the corner. Also I can't help but feel that the XUV300 deserves to sell more as it is a great product.

Tata's position is worrying as none of their newer products are taking off except the Nexon. Perhaps the Harrier AT could bring in higher revenues (being a premium product) and the Altros EV could draw in some early adopters.

MG ZS EV sold 158 units vs Hyundai Kona EV's 32 units. Given they are priced similarly, MG seem to have taken the lead here.

Ford is chugging along with the (outdated) Ecosport still selling decently well and the Endeavour bringing in good revenues.

Fiat is dead, perhaps we should stop reporting the brand

VW-Skoda desperately needs new products. 2021 is the make it or break it year for VW-Skoda.

Honda like Toyota is a two trick pony brand (city + amaze) but unlike Toyota, these are not high priced products! Don't know how they will survive.

Nissan should probably pack up and give the reins to its more successful french partner.

Last edited by dragracer567 : 6th March 2020 at 12:15.
dragracer567 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 12:43   #27
BHPian

Kudos to Maruti for maintaining the lead despite of all odds. Its evident that their leaders sit frequently to chalk out plans and make sure their lead is maintained. Despite of their decision to back out from diesel engines in their most popular cars they still keep ball rolling with other models by coming up with facelifts, new product launches, new engines, feature updates etc. Result, they still garner 53% of car sales!!

On the other hand there are these global car giants who should actually brainstorm more and see how to get in the numbers. But all we see is meek response in terms of upgrade to BS6 engines. No new product launches, stupid feature tinkering on existing dud models and what not.

Good to see Ford sales a notch higher with Freestyle and Figo getting in some good numbers!! Heavy discounts due to BS6 mandate?? Hoping to see some consistency in their volumes and some better strategies post Ford-Mahindra alliance. Am told the alliance would formalize by April and post that we should be able to see actual impact of the collaboration. Hoping it works well and Ford stays for atleast 10 more years. Selfish interest of a humble Aspire owner!!!

Last edited by Maverick Avi : 6th March 2020 at 12:45. Reason: Typo errors
Maverick Avi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 13:12   #28
BHPian

Quick observations and other than these, I do not see anything interesting:

1. Fortuner jumped a lot for some reason.
2. Kia with 2 products is at #3. I just wonder what will happen, if they launch one more hatchback, a small sedan and another SUV (Kia Rio, Soul and Telluride), they can surely add another 10k to their tally. Thus they + Hyundai at #2 can easily challenge Maruti. In few months time, Maruti set to loose the share and go below 50%. Interesting times between these 3 makers.

Last edited by sgmuser : 6th March 2020 at 13:13. Reason: typo
sgmuser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 13:50   #29
BHPian

I'm tired of saying this, Kia has set the SUV segment on fire with its Seltos. Consistently it is selling ~14K a month that too for a vehicle that is priced at 18-20 lakhs on road. For a brand that entered a few months ago - this is simply the best possible debut anyone can dream of. Suddenly, Creta has very serious competition - let us see how 2020 Creta fares in this market.

Another remarkable feat - Venue has overtaken S-Presso in sales. To be fair, S-Presso is not a failure either. S-Presso is prized around half of Venue. Still Venue beating S-Presso, +Hyundai beating a Maruti with a car that is 3 segments higher is not a small feat. Venue is a great success for Hyundai.

Honda and Ford have similar market share today. Ford didn't raise to Honda's level. Honda dropped to Ford's level. Had we even thought that this will happen?

Maruti:
Brezza, still not selling 2020 petrol model, pushes ~7K diesel units - People who are fond of Maruti and Diesel are up for grabs of the last few remaining Diesel Brezzas. Have to see what verdict will it get when only Petrol Brezzas are on sale. XL6 has cooled down. Ertiga is the national MUV.

Swift and Wagon-R are sales machines. Just their names sell itself. Alto just refuses to die. Baleno is the finest example of - smart packaging and pricing always win. For Seltos to get similar numbers it had to be a world-class car.

Maruti has its biggest test in post-BS6 era market without a single Diesel under its umbrella. This is unprecedented for Maruti since its inception 30 years ago.

Tata:
Sad to see Altroz take a dip - clearly Indians (collectively) care a damn about safety ratings or build quality. This is the state when 2020 i20 is not yet launched. It is just depressing to talk about it. Why should Tata pour so much of R&D $, if all Indians want is "kitna-deti-hai" tin cans? Nexon is holding its ground. Tiago twins and Harrier are getting a refresh - will have to wait and watch.

Hyundai:
Hyundai strongly holds its ~15% market share. Kia has added to its strengths so as a group Hyundai-Kia has carved 20% market share and is the closest competitor to the KING.

Venue, Nios have improved Hyundai's revenues, Next-gen Creta, Elite i20 will only add to the positive beat.

Toyota:
Innova has recovered from its nosedive. We have to see, how it will fare when people warm up to Carnival. Fortuner has recovered as well this month.

Ford:
There has been a slow growth, which it can capitalize on. EcoSport is super steady. Figo family holding its ground. Mahindra, please be smart now on how you run the Ford brand.

Jeep:
Just hanging in there. Not too good, not too bad. They ought to do much better with such a capable product.

MG:
Has taken a dip by half, fire incident effect? Or cooling down of the initial euphoria?

Nissan-Renault-Datson:
Kicks not picking up, Captur in its grave. Duster - the old man chugging slower and slower. Triber, Kwid are like glucose shots. Have to see how long it will last. Datson - I don't know what is their hope.

VW/Skoda:
Skoda is an expert in surviving. Somehow rakes up enough numbers to stay afloat. VW, whats going on?

Mahindra:
Their bread and butter products Bolero/Scorpio have taken a severe beating this month. Marrazzo is stabilized, but please bring on the new XUV500 fast. XUV300 has not delivered even though it is a capable car. (I think Indians hate 5* rated cars). Mahindra was doing quite OK when they had ordinary cars. Again depressing.

Honda:
Amaze is saving the day. I still have no idea why they are bringing the next-gen City while the C2 sedans are declining. And why don't then bring-in HR-V when that segment is booming. I think Honda execs are failing even in common-sense. Honda cars execs must be replaced with Honda 2-wheeler division execs. It is high-time they replace Jazz/WR-V too.

Last edited by manjunathkl : 6th March 2020 at 14:06.
manjunathkl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 17:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjunathkl View Post
MG:
Has taken a dip by half, fire incident effect? Or cooling down of the initial euphoria?
It looks like this is due to Coronovirus.
Their supply chains in China have been severed.

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...0100672_1.html.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks