Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 22:24   #1
BHPian

Tata ordered to pay 3.5 lakhs over misleading mileage figures in ad

Tata to say tata to 3.5L over a misleading 25Kmpl claim in 2011 ad for the Indica.

Unsurprisingly, when I searched the forum to see if this was shared, multiple cases of Tata being in the limelight for misleading customers popped up. Looks like some habits do die hard.

In the latest (excerpt from Livemint) The National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) directed Tata Motors to pay compensation of ₹2 lakh to Kolkata-resident Pradipta Kundu and asked it to deposit ₹1.5 lakh towards punitive damages with the state consumer welfare fund.

Source: https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...413707699.html

Anywhere else, this would've snow balled into a class action suit.
Tassem is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 02:03   #2
BHPian

re: Tata ordered to pay 3.5 lakhs over misleading mileage figures in ad

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 6th March 2020 at 07:27.
imranstael is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th March 2020, 07:32   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata ordered to pay 3.5 lakhs over misleading mileage figures in ad

Guys, this is a BOGUS judgement from a clueless NCRDC. The Tata Indigo had an ARAI rating of 25 kmpl; we all know those are under "ideal conditions", but all manufacturers brag about this number in ads. If the customer & court want to pull someone up, it should be the ARAI - Link to thread (CR4 engine now makes the Tata Indigo an ARAI kpl topper!):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Remember the recently launched Indica eV2 (Link to thread)? The same engine now gives the Indigo the title of "India's most FE sedan".

High Points

- 25 kpl mileage (ARAI) now on the Tata Indigo e-CS VX too.

- Powered by the CR4 engine from the Indica eV2. 69 BHP @ 4000 RPM and 140 Nm of torque starting at 1800 rpm. Note that the CR4 is a tuned variant of the erstwhile DICOR.

- Among other things, Tata claims to have reduced the kerb weight of the car. The Indigo (just like the Indica eV2) should have the same anti-stall feature too, that helps while climbing inclines.

- The inflated price is going to raise a lot of eyebrows. The Indigo e-CS VX is priced at Rs. 580,339 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi) for the CR4 diesel. The Manza Quadrajet - a superior car in every way - starts at only 36,000 more (616,397 ex-showroom Delhi). Who is handling the market positioning at Tata again?!

Last edited by GTO : 6th March 2020 at 07:34.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 07:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata ordered to pay 3.5 lakhs over misleading mileage figures in ad

Quote:
Guys, this is a BOGUS judgement from a clueless NCRDC. The Tata Indigo had an ARAI rating of 25 kmpl; we all know those are under "ideal conditions", but all manufacturers brag about this number in ads. If the customer & court want to pull someone up, it should be the ARAI
Thanks for the update, GTO. I was about to suggest the same and was searching the forum for the relevant information. Companies generally use ARAI figures in their ads from times immemorial. No wonder, there's an appeal against the NCRDC's decision by the company.
discoverwild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 08:50   #5
BHPian

How can they deliver such a judgement? Isn't ARAI responsible for this? If the same process is followed, all OEMs can be booked for claiming outrageous FE numbers for all their products. Complete lack of understanding has been shown by NCRDC
I hope Tata challenges this judgement wherever possible.
tarik.arora is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 08:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, this is a BOGUS judgement from a clueless NCRDC. The Tata Indigo had an ARAI rating of 25 kmpl; we all know those are under "ideal conditions", but all manufacturers brag about this number in ads.
I will beg to disagree here. While one is free to quote the ARAI numbers, they should equally loudly claim them to be under ideal conditions. This has been reflected in Maruti's training as well. While the salesperson will say the FE, emphasis must be given to clarity thats its just a benchmark to compare with other cars and real world FE will be different.
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 09:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I will beg to disagree here. While one is free to quote the ARAI numbers, they should equally loudly claim them to be under ideal conditions..
It's almost always available in fine print at the bottom of any ad. Isn't it?
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 11:05   #8
BHPian

Normally, I'd be with you on this. But one look at this ad and you'll understand the customer's frustration. They do flash the "Certified by Arai" for a second. But repeats 25 over and over again. And the entire campaign was as "India's most fuel efficient car"

Quote:
Guys, this is a BOGUS judgement from a clueless NCRDC. The Tata Indigo had an ARAI rating of 25 kmpl; we all know those are under "ideal conditions", but all manufacturers brag about this number in ads. If the customer & court want to pull someone up, it should be the ARAI - Link to thread (CR4 engine now makes the Tata Indigo an ARAI kpl topper!):
Attached Thumbnails
Tata ordered to pay 3.5 lakhs over misleading mileage figures in ad-screenshot-20200306-11.03.20-am.png  

Tata ordered to pay 3.5 lakhs over misleading mileage figures in ad-screenshot-20200306-11.03.04-am.png  

Tassem is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 17:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, this is a BOGUS judgement from a clueless NCRDC. The Tata Indigo had an ARAI rating of 25 kmpl; we all know those are under "ideal conditions", but all manufacturers brag about this number in ads. If the customer & court want to pull someone up, it should be the ARAI
Fully agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I will beg to disagree here. While one is free to quote the ARAI numbers, they should equally loudly claim them to be under ideal conditions. This has been reflected in Maruti's training as well. While the salesperson will say the FE, emphasis must be given to clarity thats its just a benchmark to compare with other cars and real world FE will be different.
ARAI is government entity who is sole authority to make their testing reports to be used as benchmark. They use their methodology to come at fuel efficiency figures. People or manufacturers have no right to say under ideal conditions because it is none of their business neither they have any control over it. Tata is correct at showing their figures as fuel efficiency as is done by all other manufacturers. I have seen n number of such ads, sadly only Tata is victimised.

ARAI must be pulled in by someone (why not Tata themselves) in court for absolutely flawed way of vehicle efficiency testing that never translates into reality and also a wastage of public money.
Capricorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 18:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

On one hand, you have egregious scams like those of Skoda which take forever to be resolved in our legal system. On the other, you have no-merit complaints like this being upheld.

It says a lot about the state of our judicial system and the quality of those in positions of power there.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 22:14   #11
BHPian

I think the practical way would be to fine the car companies on error rate of MID. For eg. my Nexon shows a FE of 19.9 on MID but the tank full method shows 16.7. This is standard error of about 20% across 30 odd fill up.

My Brio had a error rate of .8-1 kmpl at max. No clue why Tata cannot project correct numbers.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 09:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is something similar to claiming that a car rated 5 stars by safety agency like NCAP should never suffer much damage in the event of an accident. The company would have openly advertised the 5 star rating and claim that they have made a very safe car. However, the onus lies on the customer to go read the test conditions that NCAP used. If he expects the same results while driving at 120 kmph, then who is really at fault?

This case looks similar. The same car can return single digit FE numbers in b2b city traffic while offering almost double of that on a sedate highway drive. Which number should the company advertise?
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 21:11   #13
BHPian

I won't say anything about the verdict given by NCRDC, although I feel sad for the car company that they have to bear the compensation.

We are living in a world where fairness cream companies live long and prosper whereas car companies are doomed.
I guess here on every car company is liable to pay fine for each car sold.

I really don't understand, if it's not the way to advertise the fuel efficacy, then how exactly it's supposed to be? Maybe cars company should start giving range of fuel efficacy figure for example 6 to 24 KMPL, 4 to 20 KMPL etc. For car companies, this seems to be the best solution to avoid any such case in the future.

Last edited by gjnnbagal : 9th March 2020 at 21:16.
Old 10th March 2020, 00:05   #14
BHPian

I think we have a good case here for Kona and Nexon EV. How much can we claim for the mental agony and torture of getting stranded in a Kona with a dead battery at 350KM while my destination was at 450KMs?
Holyghost is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks