Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2020, 12:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Tata Harrier 1.5L turbo-petrol might be coming

According to Autocar India the Tata Harrier Petrol will be launched before the festival season.
Quote:
we can now reveal that the final product will come sometime before the festive season. The Harrier petrol will come powered by Tata’s new 1.5-litre, direct-injection turbo-petrol engine. Basically a four-cylinder version of the 1.2 Revotron turbo found under the bonnet of the Nexon, the engine is likely to put out power in excess of 150hp.
Quote:
The 7-seat derivative of the Harrier, the Tata Gravitas, will also sport the same engine.
Quote:
As with the Nexon unit, this new 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine will come with drive modes. Tata will also have an automatic version of the Harrier and Gravitas petrol available at a later stage – it’ll come with paddle shifters and there’s even the possibility of a ‘Sport’ mode. Smooth progression and improved fuel efficiency will be the biggest challenges for Tata.
source - https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ng-soon-416461
safari_lover is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 12:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: Tata Harrier 1.5L turbo-petrol might be coming

Never knew they were that close to having the petrol engine production ready. So both our homegrown manufacturers now have got good petrol engines to serve their higher end spectrum of cars.

The question is how many people will be interested in buying a 1.6 ton petrol SUV. But then MG managed decent numbers for petrol DCT. So may be there is a market.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 12:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Why is this slightly downsized to 1500cc? The Nexon 3 pot engine is a 1.2, so the 4 cylinder version should be a proper 1.6. Considering the very fair job Tata has done with the Nexon turbo petrol, I expect them to go all out for the flagship Harrier. MG’s mild hybrid system with DSG will continue to be a differentiator, so Harrier will need every extra BHP to stay in the game and play the specifications war.
Old 6th March 2020, 12:59   #4
BHPian

Hectors Petrol Engine is a hugely underpowered engine which performs even worse with the Auto. If Tata can provide a half decent engine with adequate power it will work well.
rkv_hunter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 13:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
Hectors Petrol Engine is a hugely underpowered engine which performs even worse with the Auto. If Tata can provide a half decent engine with adequate power it will work well.
I am surprised that most say the same about Hector AT. It has a DCT and still it's not exciting to drive. Ditto with older Ecosport which also had DCT but wasn't as good as Polo TSI DCT. Goes to show that it is the engine which matters more than the type of AT gearbox the engine is mated to.

About Harrier AT, the gearbox is good and proven. The engine's reported 150 BHP should propel it with some elan. The only other thing they need to work on is to make sure the FE doesn't dip too low.
Old 6th March 2020, 16:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians. Please read my post (no 525) from the Harrier official review thread. I have already mentioned this long back that Harrier petrol is NOT coming before 2022.

Even the first beta engine has not been fired up yet and this ceremony is expected to take place in the next few months. This is a brand new direct injection(a Tata first) engine and Tata needs to put in a lot of testing before it finds it's way in the OMEGA platform.

This engine is expected only once the CAFE norms kick in and will come mated to Tata's inhouse developed 7 speed wet clutch DCT.

Don't know what the guys at Autocar are smoking these days. First they got the wheel size of the BS6 Harrier wrong and now this.

I request mods to close this thread till any concrete info is available on the same. And rest assured, I will be the first person to share such info with the bhpians.

Last edited by ram87pune : 6th March 2020 at 16:23.
ram87pune is online now   (57) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 16:59   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
I have already mentioned this long back that Harrier petrol is NOT coming before 2022.

This engine is expected only once the CAFE norms kick in and will come mated to Tata's inhouse developed 7 speed wet clutch DCT.
Thanks! I myself was quite skeptical of the news. "Rumour" tag added to the thread title. Tata has bigger fires to fight right now.

Have never been a fan of relatively small turbo-petrols putting out big horsepower & powering heavy vehicles. All of them drove pretty lame (including the Compass 1.4L AT). There is hardly a case for it, especially when you consider the sweet, sweet, sweet 2.0L FCA diesel engine on offer.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 17:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Never knew they were that close to having the petrol engine production ready. So both our homegrown manufacturers now have got good petrol engines to serve their higher end spectrum of cars
You'll never know what our homegrown makers will let loose on unsuspecting Indians, they have engines add a cylinder and let loose and the first batch buyers would be the guinea pigs and then 'bugs' can be sorted out one by one. I wonder why they aren't so good at bringing out automatic variants?! Lesson: Don't buy the fresh products from either of them.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 6th March 2020 at 17:18.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 17:26   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have never been a fan of relatively small turbo-petrols putting out big horsepower & powering heavy vehicles. All of them drove pretty lame (including the Compass 1.4L AT).
+1

TATA Motors also has to keep in mind that the next generation Mahindra XUV 5OO, will be coming in with the new mStallion T-GDi unit with an announced 190 HP and 380Nm of torque!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 18:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

A puny 1.5L engine in a 1.8 tonne vehicle is not going to help matters.

At the end of the day, torque matters, and anything less than 300NM for a vehicle of this size and weight is simply insufficient.
The lethargic Hector Petrol is a live example.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 20:44   #11
BHPian

Is it just me or you guys think that a 1.5 litre turbo petrol will be really under powered to move a heavy SUV like the Harrier ? I have driven the MG Hector with the 1.5 litre petrol & it really struggles to move , situation will probably be same for future Harrier turbo petrol owners .
drift2race is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 21:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is hardly a case for it, especially when you consider the sweet, sweet, sweet 2.0L FCA diesel engine on offer.
Except that in NCR and surrounding markets, diesels have fast become taboo. Heck I'm seeing Petrol Fortuners now on the road! And the NCR is quite a sizeable market in itself. I hope TML launches the petrol with a mild hybrid/hybrid- will give them brownie points and also help bump up torque.

Given what they have done with Nexon EV, they have shown signs of having matured in applications of battery tech.
himanshugoswami is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 00:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Confirmation from a source from the plant - no Harrier petrol prototypes running around yet. No dedicated team for the same, either.

Work on petrols has slowed down after the BS6 compliance of the 1.2L, 120BHP one under the Nexon's hood.

A separate team is handling the tuning of the turbo petrol option for the Altroz.

As for ACI, this is from the same month, but last year:- https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-engine-411806

So, ram87pune is correct.
RavenAvi is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 12:57   #14
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier 1.5L turbo-petrol might be coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Why is this slightly downsized to 1500cc? The Nexon 3 pot engine is a 1.2, so the 4 cylinder version should be a proper 1.6. Considering the very fair job Tata has done with the Nexon turbo petrol, I expect them to go all out for the flagship Harrier. MG’s mild hybrid system with DSG will continue to be a differentiator, so Harrier will need every extra BHP to stay in the game and play the specifications war.
Tata could reduce stroke to make displacement 1.5L while keeping each cylinders volume same.

Quote:
Have never been a fan of relatively small turbo-petrols putting out big horsepower & powering heavy vehicles.
Considering how puny 1.2L 3-pot turbo petrol (110bhp, I haven't driven 120bhp yet) is able to propel 1.3 tonne Nexon easily, I see no reason why 4-pot 1.5 turbo petrol will not be enough for 1.7 tonne Harrier. Agree economy and city may not be for enthusiasts, but sport mode should not only be fast but also refined too. Still Tata never managed the fuel delivery spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Confirmation from a source from the plant - no Harrier petrol prototypes running around yet. No dedicated team for the same, either. Work on petrols has slowed down after the BS6 compliance of the 1.2L, 120BHP one under the Nexon's hood.
A separate team is handling the tuning of the turbo petrol option for the Altroz.
Thank you for the update. However, this context is the precise reason that Tata could never lead the market. Everything is allowed to made public. Why Tata? Why can't you ensure none of your staff utters a word outside and let other take? This is corporate discipline. See how MSIL put all weight and muscle when a service lapse incident was caught in dashcam by BHPian. We don't come to know Hyundai engine power figures and structural details until close to launch.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th March 2020 at 20:40. Reason: Typo corrected
Capricorn is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 20:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier 1.5L turbo-petrol might be coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Confirmation from a source from the plant - no Harrier petrol prototypes running around yet. No dedicated team for the same, either.

Work on petrols has slowed down after the BS6 compliance of the 1.2L, 120BHP one under the Nexon's hood..
Could you find out if the new autobox that's coming with the Altroz turbo auto combo will make its way to the petrol Nexon as well ?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th March 2020 at 21:18. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks