Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2020, 19:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier 1.5L turbo-petrol might be coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankarG View Post
This is a welcome news. Harrier is a commendable product and petrol version will also cut the price by a 1 lac or so.
I am seriously considering this. My Fusion is going to end its life in approximately another one years. If they can keep the base model pricing with in 12L (Ex-showroom) then it can be a winner.
arin_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 21:17   #32
BHPian

It has been mentioned in several harrier threads that the harrier petrol will not come until 2022. These are just clickbait articles to gather interest. Bhpian ram87pune has iterated several times that we will not see prototype and test mules till next year. Till then it's better to ignore such misleading articles.

I request mods to close this thread till we get concrete info about the same.
Babruvahanaaaaa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 21:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

For the size and weight of the Harrier ( presuming it will still weigh north of 1500kg in the petrol avatar), a 1.5 litre engine will be just about “ adequate “. Diesel will still appeal to those who want the lower variants for cheaper operating costs and petrol will not satisfy the requirements of enthusiasts. It will be in a no-mans-land so to speak. They should have atleast a 1.8 or 2 litre engine with 160-180 bhp and 280-300 NM of torque.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 14:29   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Guys this is just a normal diesel BS6 prototype. Turbo petrol is still atleast a couple of years away. There is no need to speculate by posting photos of different prototypes because there is still a lot of time till the petrol ones start running on our roads.
I find your inputs to be always helpful!

Is there any possibility of AWD in Harrier in the near future as per your sources? Because that variant will be very desirable for myself.
Old 11th December 2020, 08:22   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

With Petrol constituting more demand (the popular Nexon records 65-70 percent sales from petrol variants) TATA is now readying the Harrier Petrol variant for a 2021 launch:

Quote:
Powering Harrier petrol will be a new 1.5-litre, direct-injection turbo petrol motor that will be capable of dishing out more than 150 hp of max power. This will be essentially a four cylinder version of the existing 1.2 Revotron turbo petrol motor that powers Nexon compact SUV. Harrier petrol is expected to be offered with both manual and automatic transmission options. This new engine will also be used for Tata Motors Gravitas SUV.

Rumour: Tata Harrier 1.5L turbo-petrol might be coming-2021tataharrierpetrolspied1600x338.jpg

Rumour: Tata Harrier 1.5L turbo-petrol might be coming-2021tataharrierpetrolspied2600x338.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th December 2020 at 08:24.
volkman10 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 08:53   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
With Petrol constituting more demand (the popular Nexon records 65-70 percent sales from petrol variants) TATA is now readying the Harrier Petrol variant for a 2021 launch:

Attachment 2091435

Attachment 2091436

Link

That's a good move especially for people from Delhi NCR. People like me can now buy Harrier too without having second thoughts. An adequate petrol engine is a must have in today's times.
sarav100 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:13   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Since petrol SUVs are slowly becoming popular, Tata should take their time and build a 2L turbo petrol rather than fit a 1.5L turbo petrol with ~150bhp. Mahindra XUV500 is coming with a 180-190bhp 2L petrol, harrier needs to compete with these figures. Hope the Tata’s 1.5L is better than the MG Hector’s 1.5L turbo petrol!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

My biggest gripe with Tata is that their engines are always just about adequate, nothing more, never special.

I can feel the product planning department is being helmed by an elderly uncle.... someone like my dad.

Young engineer:'Sir naya engine 200+ bhp daal de?'
Product planning Uncle: 'nahin beta, kyun itna power? 150 kaafi hain. Hamare zamane mein Safari only had 90, 200 is too much. Public 150 se khush hain!'

shortbread is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
My biggest gripe with Tata is that their engines are always just about adequate, nothing more, never special.

I can feel the product planning department is being helmed by an elderly uncle.... someone like my dad.

Product planning Uncle: 'nahin beta, kyun itna power? 150 kaafi hain. Hamare zamane mein Safari only had 90, 200 is too much. Public 150 se khush hain!'

Add 1500 cc mein tax bhi bachega

CARDEEP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 10:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

True to a certain extent, especially w.r.t. the altroz. BUT, with the harrier BS6, the 170 bhp diesel is one heck of a motor. when I drive it in sport mode, this car is a beast. I have shown a clean pair of heels to many a vehicle that are significantly more expensive.
himanshugoswami is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 11:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
True to a certain extent, especially w.r.t. the altroz. BUT, with the harrier BS6, the 170 bhp diesel is one heck of a motor. when I drive it in sport mode, this car is a beast..
I will also vouch for that . In sports mode passengers can clearly feel that surge . I hardly used sports mode in my entire ride of 9000 km
greyhound82 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 14:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
True to a certain extent, especially w.r.t. the altroz. BUT, with the harrier BS6, the 170 bhp diesel is one heck of a motor. when I drive it in sport mode, this car is a beast. I have shown a clean pair of heels to many a vehicle that are significantly more expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
I will also vouch for that . In sports mode passengers can clearly feel that surge . I hardly used sports mode in my entire ride of 9000 km
I humbly disagree with you. The diesel has 350 Nm of torque which is needed to pull a 1.7 ton beast. All the 1.5L/1.4L turbo petrols in the market make 250 Nm at best.

Tata's 1.2L revotron makes 170 Nm and isn't the best in its own class. I don't understand how adding one more cylinder to it would make it competitive at 22L. If revotron is so good, then why is Tata developing an all new 1.0L turbo petrol for Altroz? Tata's engine selection is simply beyond my understanding.

I'm just hoping the rumour stays a rumour and the new XUV 500 with 2.0L turbo petrol will bring some sense to Tata. I love the Harrier, but even after being in market for almost 2 years it still lacks a good petrol engine and an automatic option (even with diesel) in the mid trim (XT/XT+).

Last edited by YD14 : 11th December 2020 at 14:46. Reason: Changed incorrect engine name
YD14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 14:34   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YD14 View Post
Tata's 1.2L revotorq makes 170 Nm and isn't the best in its own class.
Correction here - Tata's 1.2L petrol is named as revotron and not revotorq. Apart from XUV300, most others in the segment pack turbo petrol with torque figures around 160-175 Nm and pack solid mid range punch. The revotron turbo motor may not be the most modern motor but never felt the Nexon to be underpowered or just adequate.

Quote:
I don't understand how adding one more cylinder to it would make it competitive at 22L.
Everything depends on the power to weight ratio. If that ratio is good, it will be good enough. Will wait and see how it fares. Can't pass a judgement now. MG has similar 1.5 petrol (and weighs nearly 1.7 tonnes in its diesel manual variants) and more than 50% of its sales are petrols. Also, petrol option will definitely lower the starting price to around 15-16 lakhs on road for the Harrier.

Quote:
If revotorq is so good, then why is Tata developing an all new 1.0L turbo petrol for Altroz? Tata's engine selection is simply beyond my understanding.
The upcoming turbo petrol in the Altroz, it is not an all new 1.0L, rather a detuned version of the Nexon engine to facilitate the use of 5 speed manual.

Quote:
even after being in market for almost 2 years it still lacks a good petrol engine and an automatic option (even with diesel) in the mid trim (XT/XT+).

Last edited by klgiridhar : 11th December 2020 at 14:51.
klgiridhar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 15:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I humbly disagree with you. The diesel has 350 Nm of torque which is needed to pull a 1.7 ton beast.
Disagreeing on Sports mode performance ?
Old 11th December 2020, 15:39   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgiridhar View Post
Correction here - Tata's 1.2L petrol is named revotron and not revotorq.
Thanks for pointing out; corrected it.

Quote:
Apart from XUV300, most others in the segment pack turbo petrol with torque figures around 160-175 Nm and pack solid mid range punch. The revotron turbo motor may not be the most modern motor but never felt the Nexon to be underpowered or just adequate.
My opinion is only based on online reviews and my conclusion is that its better than most but Hyundai's 1.0L turbo just has a bit more responsiveness and smooth. But its strictly my opinion from second hand knowledge, so its credibility is definitely low.

Quote:
Everything depends on the power to weight ratio. If that ratio is good, it will be good enough.
This is point I wanted to make and may have not been successful in it. With a 1.5L turbo petrol the best one can hope is 250 Nm of torque and with 1.7 ton weight of Harrier the torque to weight ratio just won't be enough, unless Tata can produce a miracle.

Quote:
The upcoming turbo petrol in the Altroz, it is not an all new 1.0L, rather a detuned version of the Nexon engine to facilitate the use of 5 speed manual.
Apologies for my lack of knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Disagreeing on Sports mode performance ?
Nope not on that one.
YD14 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks