Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 13:50   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier 1.5L turbo-petrol might be coming

It's best if Tata sources their engines from outside, especially petrol. If not source engines at least hire some petrol engine expertise from vendors like Cosworth, Yamaha etc.

The sourced Fiat engine and Hyundai gearbox is one of the biggest strengths of the OmegaArc platform.

Rather than plough a lot more money into IC engines, Tata should look to focus resources into localising and improving their EV ecosystem. Domestic production/sourcing of electric powertrains, batteries etc.

If they continue with a single minded focus to lower costs, increase range and improve quality; more Indians will be willing to part with their hard earned money in order to own a Tata EV. While I agree my experience on this matter is simply anecdotal, there are plenty of prospective buyers who are currently sitting on the fence whether to take the plunge into EV or specifically Tata EV ownership.

Winning them over should be a priority for TML.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 20:45   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
It could be that or maybe they're experimenting some sort of hybrid tech for the petrol? A person couple replies above mentioned the problems associated with owning a big petrol suv and how tata should look to implement some sort of hybrid tech to their petrol version.

I think it is that. Maybe they really want to make some money off the petrol Harrier instead of just a few sales from Delhi (and anywhere else with the 10 yr rule). A 160 hp hybrid petrol with liveable mileage figures (hopefully 12+ kmpl) would, in my opinion, give them more sales figures than a retuned 200+ hp version to one-up the XUV.
Their annual report does indicate that strong hybrids is an active area of research and investment. However a 1.6L turbo petrol in a vehicle as heavy as Harrier was ludicrous from tge word go, with or without the XUV700.
aditya79india is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 21:08   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Their annual report does indicate that strong hybrids is an active area of research and investment. However a 1.6L turbo petrol in a vehicle as heavy as Harrier was ludicrous from tge word go, with or without the XUV700.
I honestly want Tata to keep building and working on a hybrid version. I am absolutely ecstatic to see it. Heck, Toyota and Honda already have hybrid tech with them, maybe Honda might launch an HRV in the near future wit hybrid tech in it. Tata must do it before them!
Whosoever launches a hybrid petrol SUV between 15-25 (ex showroom) will see big sales.

Toyota
Honda -
Rohan1511 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 10:47   #64
Vmv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan1511 View Post
I honestly want Tata to keep building and working on a hybrid version.
Whosoever launches a hybrid petrol SUV between 15-25
Absolutely agrees with your point
That will be great USP and will help TATA to achieve mileage & power factor too.Honda City hybird likely to launch in India. So if they can develop a hybird engine they will keep up with the 2022 - 2023 competition better.
Vmv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 15:27   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
We all know that Tata was developing a brand new 1.6 turbo GDI petrol engine to power the Harrier twins and it was supposed to be launched by 2023. Now with the arrival of the XUV700s petrol engine and its insane power figures, Tata has been forced back to the drawing board as they simply cannot compete with 200 bhp power figure of XUVs petrol engine as their own engine was going to produce around 160 odd bhp.
Even with a Petrol launch, most of the sales are expected to be of Diesel variants. Today Tata sources the 2.0L diesel from FCA. Why not source the 2.0L petrol from Mahindra?
Tata will save money developing an all new engine which will anyway not be a big seller and can have the variants out earlier.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 17:25   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Why not source the 2.0L petrol from Mahindra?
Tata will save money developing an all new engine which will anyway not be a big seller and can have the variants out earlier.
And why would M&M sell it to their arch rivals and if they do then trust me TML sales will pick up and M&M sales will come down . No way M&M will even think of this even in their wildest dreams!
searacer932 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 01:27   #67
BHPian

On a recent visit to the TASS, I asked my service advisor about the next new launch he is expecting and he mentioned Harrier petrol, though as per him it is at least 6 months away if not more. Not sure what to make out of this because as per the scoop from @ram87pune it is at least 2 years away.
Old 27th December 2021, 15:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

Tata Harrier, Safari spied; Turbo petrol versions?

Camouflaged test mules of the Tata Harrier and Safari have been recently spotted testing. It's been speculated that these could be turbo-petrol versions of the SUVs.

Name:  2022tataharriersafaripetrolsuvspied1747x420.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  105.5 KB

Rumours suggest that Tata might introduce a 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine in the Harrier and Safari. The engine could be paired with either a manual or an automatic transmission. The introduction of a turbo-petrol engine option would allow Tata to compete with the MG Hector and Jeep Compass, both of which offer petrol engine options.

Name:  2022tataharriersafaripetrolsuvspied3747x420.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  119.1 KB

At present, both the Harrier and Safari are powered by an FCA-sourced 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 168 BHP and 350 Nm. It comes mated to a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission.

Name:  2022tataharriersafaripetrolsuvspied2768x576.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  141.3 KB

Source: Rushlane
TusharK is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 16:05   #69
Senior - BHPian

This is just a typical clickbait article from Rushlane. There is no evidence of these mules using a petrol engine at all in the link. This is just the imagination of someone at Rushlane.
padmrajravi is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 07:49   #70
BHPian

I dont see the point of camouflage if its only an engine change. Must be some other changes too in terms of cosmetics. Guess will get to know if I will regret my purchase of first batch Safari pretty soon!
racer_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 08:20   #71
BHPian

I agree with what a lot of fellow members here are saying. Spending precious resources to develop an all new petrol engine for their big cars will just turn out to be an endless money pit. Only people with negligible yearly mileage and/or Delhi NCR folks might bother with the petrol SUV at all, the real numbers come from the diesels in that size of vehicles. So instead of wasting resources for a segment with low figures, they should just source a petrol engine from somewhere for the time being and instead focus unconditionally on improving their EV tech. Because, considering all factors such as dealer network, charging stations etc, they are one of the best passenger EV manufacturers in the country currently, if not the best. They have a slight headstart now before the Chinese and the Koreans flood the market with cheap EVs, which will cause a hit. They should have a solid gameplan so as to shift their entire line-up to Electric propulsion over the next 5 years.

A Harrier Electric with 500-600 kms of range and decent power figures, maybe in the 170-180 HP mark would be absolutely fantastic. Charging infrastructure is improving at a respectable rate (atleast that's the case for my area), we can expect exponential improvements in this decade compared to the last decade, similar to how fast mobile tech has evolved in the last decade compared to the 2000s. I wouldn't be needing such a big car anytime soon, considering the constraints of living in a busy city but what would be ideal for me is an electric Altroz with the option of an extended battery pack, maybe 300-350 kmn real world range would be just fantastic.

Last edited by SaiSW : 28th December 2021 at 08:32.
Old 28th December 2021, 17:08   #72

This is probably the ongoing test for RDE (Real Driving Emissions), which will soon be applicable nationwide, and hence the OEMs are preparing their defenses.
We can expect a few cosmetic changes with this new release, but no solid news has been received about the Petrol variant.
Potatopoco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 17:50   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Tata Harrier, Safari spied; Turbo petrol versions?
In light of the 2 litre 200 hp mStallion engine which the XUV700 is offering, a 1.5L engine would be grossly underpowered (especially in torque), and effectively dead on arrival.
Old 28th December 2021, 20:27   #74
BHPian

If they do introduce a petrol variant, the Fiat engine’s oil filter placement issue will not be relevant and they may send it for NCAP ratings to get it labeled as a 5 star car ( probably). So this whole petrol exercise may not be focussed on getting much numbers but getting the rating to help compete with the XUV as well as shore up some sales against the other petrol competitors.

I know these ratings wont be valid for the diesels but how many would bother to check? It will be plastered on every advertisement. These kind of promotions are not unheard of.
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 20:45   #75
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians.

As I had mentioned earlier, Tata has completely stopped the development of their 1.5 turbo petrol engine and are now developing a bigger 2.0/2.2 litre engine to have a better chance of competing with the XUV700's stupendously powerful MStallion engine. The launch timeline for the 1.5 engine was in Q1 of 2023 but now with this new development, it seems that the launch is likely to be pushed to around 2024 which will likely coincide with the arrival of mid cycle refresh for the Harrier twins.

And don't get your hopes high about the GNCAP performance of the petrol variant of the Harrier twins as even though they won't have the dreaded oil filter intrusion issue, they are not likely to score anything higher than 4 stars as the chassis of the twins itself is heavily watered down from its Land Rover donor. But keeping fingers crossed and praying that Tata finally puts in efforts to make the twins 5 star rated albeit for the petrol variant only.

On a side note, even if the twins come out with a 4 or 5 star rating at the GNCAP, anyone who has even basic knowledge or enthusiasm for automobiles will ask them "What was stopping you for all these years from getting the twins tested?" and it would be interesting to see Tata's reply to the same.

Would update this thread once I get additional and concrete info from my sources.

Last edited by ram87pune : 28th December 2021 at 20:46.
ram87pune is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks