Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 11:11   #1
BANNED

Mahindra Marazzo 1.5L petrol coming soon

Mahindra Marazzo 1.5L petrol coming soon-marazzo1.5tgdi.jpg

It will be the first model to be powered by Mahindra’s all-new 163hp, 1.5-litre four-cylinder turbo-petrol engine; Mahindra and Ford’s midsize SUVs will also get the engine.
Quote:
The Mahindra Marazzo line-up is set to expand with the arrival of a petrol-powered version in May 2020 – the Marazzo BS6 diesel will arrive before this, featuring a rejigged variant line-up. Powering the Marazzo petrol will be a 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine from Mahindra’s new mStallion engine family. Revealed at Auto Expo 2020, the new mStallion motors comprise turbocharged, direct injection petrol engines with displacements of 1.2 litres (G12), 1.5 litres (G15) and 2.0 litres (G20). The high-tech engines feature integrated exhaust manifolds, off-set crankshafts, 250 bar fuel-injection rail systems and dual-mass flywheels.

The 1.5-litre TGDI (turbocharged gasoline direct injection) engine slated for the Marazzo petrol makes an impressive 163hp and 280Nm of torque. The G15 engine is, in essence, a four-cylinder version of the 130hp, 1.2-litre three-cylinder G12 unit that will be offered on the Mahindra XUV300 from April 2020 onwards. A 6-speed manual gearbox be offered as standard and there will be an Aisin-sourced 6-speed automatic as well.
Source
wheelguy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 13:25   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra Marazzo 1.5L petrol coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post

It will be the first model to be powered by Mahindra’s all-new 163hp, 1.5-litre four-cylinder turbo-petrol engine; Mahindra and Ford’s midsize SUVs will also get the engine.
The power and torque figures of this new m-Stallion petrol engine look impressive, and the fact that it is said to be coming with an automatic also is welcome news. Will this help in reviving the dwindling sales of the Marazzo, though? Not very sure.
Old 9th March 2020, 15:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikipedia87 View Post
The power and torque figures of this new m-Stallion petrol engine look impressive, and the fact that it is said to be coming with an automatic also is welcome news. Will this help in reviving the dwindling sales of the Marazzo, though? Not very sure.
I don't think Marazzo sales are dwindling. It is holding its own and is doing steady numbers for the past few months. It is a great vehicle and more power train options will widen its appeal.
JediKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 15:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Marazzo in its current avataar is by itself a smoothie. Have travelled in it a few times recently and must say it is as refined if not more than the Innova.

This is with the oil burner powering the vehicle. Must be even smoother with a petrol motor in its heart. For sure this vehicle has great potential and even good to buy in the personal ownership segment.
girishglg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 15:50   #5
BHPian

If it is coming in two months from now they should have been busy testing it on the roads. Are any test cars spotted and reported in any website?

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th March 2020 at 13:45. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 9th March 2020, 16:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
If it is coming in two months from now they should have been busy testing it on the roads. Are any test cars are spotted and reported in any website?
One of our members in Sikkim had reported a test mule which wasn't emitting any black smoke at all. Many of us assumed it to be a petrol test car.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 16:15   #7
BHPian

I for one am eagerly waiting for the Automatic of the Marazzo (even if it is a petrol). I test drove one when it was launched and was absolutely bowled over by the presence, space, the refinement of the Diesel and the features it had on offer.

I hope they launch a petrol TC or CVT (no AMTs please) and it also comes with 6 airbags at least in the top end.
racer_ash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 22:11   #8
BHPian

While the engine looks promising and the Marazzo is a nice vehicle, let's just hope the economy is double digits per litre. Anything in single digits may not cut it with people like me who are looking for an affordable proper 7 seater
jasjotbains is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 10:13   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Marazzo 1.5L petrol coming soon

If the XUV300's turbo-petrol is anything to go by, this 1.5L version should be excellent too. The power figures are certainly impressive. However, the Marazzo is a body-on-frame UV weighing 1600 kilos. A high-powered turbo-petrol will be a gas guzzler when just the driver + wife are onboard; with a full load of 7, it will be quite disastrous. IMHO, the beautiful diesel will remain the top choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I don't think Marazzo sales are dwindling.
Marazzo sales are currently "mediocre" at best. About 1000 - 1200 copies / month. IMHO, that is poor, considering the product's strengths, numbers its competitors are doing & the price-band its in.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 11:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The power figures are certainly impressive. However, the Marazzo is a body-on-frame UV weighing 1600 kilos... IMHO, the beautiful diesel will remain the top choice.
GTO, do you foresee BS6 diesel cars being sustainable for private ownership? We have seen Kia Seltos' issues with DPF clogging where the manual calls for high (highway) speed driving on a regular basis to regenerate the filter. Most of us urban users just cannot hope to hit the highway more than once in a few months...I am eyeing the Petrol Marazzo as a potential upgrade.
Old 10th March 2020, 23:14   #11
BHPian

Very much sounds like DoA. Not sure, why Mahindra is even thinking of installing a Petrol engine in a overpriced UV that is 360 degree beaten by Ertiga in most aspects.

Owning a Xylo, I find Ertiga with 1.5L Petrol to be more value for money than this petrol Marazzo. Like GTO said, the weight of the Marazzo will nullify all the Engine specs and its benefits.

Whether Marazzo Petrol bombs or lives depends upon the pricing, and the kind of automatic transmission they might offer. Mahindra has this senseless affinity towards AMT. Mahindra's history with AMT is known to be un-reliable from the TUV days. I am sure, they are going to seal the fate by mating the 1.5 litre petrol engine to a 6-speed AMT.

If by any chance the sun rises in the north, and Mahindra sensibly offers a 6-speed TC automatic with petrol and diesel engines - then it will sell. There is great market - where buyers want the space, proper 7/8 seat , good engine AND proper TC/CVT Automatic.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 07:53   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
GTO, do you foresee BS6 diesel cars being sustainable for private ownership?
All of those are minor initial teething issues, maybe due to BS4 fuel, manufacturer's learning curve, first-time for part vendors etc. If you are very concerned, wait for 6 months & then buy the BS6 diesel version.

Two more points on the petrol Marazzo:

- Because it's a high powered turbo-petrol, I don't expect much of a price difference from the diesel (if at all).

- Its best market might be in Delhi-NCR because of the ban on 10-year old diesels there.

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2020 at 08:53. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 10:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post

Whether Marazzo Petrol bombs or lives depends upon the pricing, and the kind of automatic transmission they might offer. Mahindra has this senseless affinity towards AMT. Mahindra's history with AMT is known to be un-reliable from the TUV days. I am sure, they are going to seal the fate by mating the 1.5 litre petrol engine to a 6-speed AMT.

The engine promises to be a cracker. It will run circles around Maruti’s NA 1.5 litre engine. A good, well-designed GDI Turbo engine would make roughly the same power and torque as an NA engine that is 50% larger. So the Ertiga’s engine should be compared to Mahindra’s 1.2 Mstallion engine and even then the MStallion will win on specs.

I wish they would offer this 1.5 Mstallion on the XUV300 to create a “sport” version.

I doubt they will put an AMT on this car. AMTs make sense in small capacity, low cost applications where cost is paramount.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 11:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I wish they would offer this 1.5 Mstallion on the XUV300 to create a “sport” version..
XUV300 already has a "Sportz" version, but with the 1.2 litre engine.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...suv-india.html
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 13:52   #15
BHPian

Marazzo is a brilliant product from Mahindra no doubt about it. But the sad thing is that both our home companies TATA and Mahindra lack brand image. People don't want to buy their product just because of the badge. They should heavily concentrate to build up a brand image. One of my friend was looking for a sub 20 lakh SUV and simply avoided the Harrier for the badge. Same case with the Morazzo also. People have not yet understood their valuable products.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th March 2020 at 18:06. Reason: Minor typo

Most Viewed