Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th March 2020, 13:05   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Which car trends do you miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
1. Ashtray inside the car. Please.
1. I was about to mention regarding the ash trays. Anyone remember or have seen those highly detailed chrome finished ashtrays on rear doors, rear center arm rests or dashboard.

2. Multi-Link rear suspension setups vanishing from few segments.
3. Hydraulic Steering setup. EPS systems has improved and mostly won't make you miss hydraulic setup in many implementations, however, they don't fail to feel artificial at some point or other.
4. Double wishbone setups.
5. Dedicated clocks. Especially analog ones.
6. I am afraid, we might miss analog intrument clusters sometimes in the future.
7. And of course, general set of cars are becoming too round and curvy nowadays. those combination of straight lines and bit of curves used to be so elegant.
8. Engines getting smaller. Though adding turbo helps the situation in the power front, however those small engines have a different inherent sound (not talking about the exhaust sound). Even Polo GT TSI engine sounds very ordinary while crossing a hump or over uphill when it tries to catch up its breath.

Nowadays, cars feel more like appliances and commodities rather than something special, something a bit more serious.

Last edited by arighna.dutta : 11th March 2020 at 13:26.
arighna.dutta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 13:59   #32
BHPian

1.Engine sound. Especially the sound of Premier Padmini. I love it

2. Column mounted gear stick below the steering.

3. Build quality of old cars

Above all, I really miss Ambassador Car on which I learned how to drive. Still feel very sad when seeing those getting rusted in many government office garages.
Old 11th March 2020, 14:05   #33
BHPian

I miss the trend where cars used to be cars - no fancy electronic gizmos and touch screens. As someone has rightly pointed out, with computers (or ECU) controlling all vitals of the car, cars have become tablets on wheels. Smarter cars are making drivers dumb in my opinion (does not apply for all of them though)
Old 11th March 2020, 14:33   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I miss the trend of "reasonably-priced cars". The top Dzire variant now costs 11.xx lakhs in Mumbai, while its 17 lakhs for the City . When the heck did that happen?

Cars overall are way too overpriced in India today. Manufacturers can blame the external factors all they want for slowing growth rates, but their ridiculous price hikes are also a contributor.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 14:57   #35
BHPian

Honestly, pretty much every missing trend mentioned in these posts are still available in one or more new cars. Well except maybe hidden headlamps.

What people want are these things in cars of their choice. Which is not exactly fair to an evolving market is it?

One common ask seem to be clean lines? VW is still going strong with that. But we complain about them trying to peddle 10 year old designs

As for physical buttons, we may not have the 100 button fascia of an 80's bimmer. But we cannot ask for a cutting edge touch screen infotainment system and then cry that there are no physical buttons. Even the latest Volvos come with a lot of buttons and get a lot of flak for it too. Ford has it too. So does Jeep. Every car I've sat in, except maybe a Tesla has enough and more physical buttons.

We're lucky that in india we get age old hand me down models with manual transmissions and real handbrakes etc. The rest of the world is crying for that.

The one thing I actually miss are real petrolheads. People who buy a car for its character. For the feel. For the association. For the capability. Not just for mileage. And definitely not for resale value.

There are many petrolheads. On this august forum as well. But just not as many as the world would like.
Tassem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 15:15   #36
BHPian

Big 4 cylinder engines in mainstrean cars.

All manufacturers are moving towards turbocharged 3 cylinder engines instead of 4 cylinder ones. These 3 pot engines are even moving up the price chain with cars like the Vento, Venue already adopting them and many others expected to use them. While they are good enough for city runabouts like an Alto or a Kwid, they are not refined enough to be used in anything in the C segment and above. When used in naturally aspirated form like in the Altroz they just can't push around the weight.
rahulcmoulee is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 16:09   #37
BHPian

I miss the time when ICE was all about music and you could get aftermarket ones with great hardware and simple interface. This was the time when ICE theft was quite a rage all over Mumbai.

These days the ICE feel has watered down thanks to Big Screens with Android Auto, Apple Carplay and how everything can be handled from the touch screen. I personally love the feel of buttons and how you can operate them without looking at the screen.

I remember owning a simple pioneer system in my getz along with a tomtom navigation system and it was a very enjoyable experience I must say.
Old 11th March 2020, 16:26   #38
BHPian

Big Proper mechanical engines
These days manufacturers are offering puny engines with big turbos and stuff. Don't know about the reliability of these engines in the long run and the cost of maintenance and repairs of these.
For instance the VAG group has ditched the 1.5 diesel altogether and is turning to a 1 liter turbo petrol. They already have lots of issues with their over engineered cars . God knows how this will workout. Same with other manufacturers as well.
#ABTorquey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 16:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I miss the trend of "reasonably-priced cars". The top Dzire variant now costs 11.xx lakhs in Mumbai, while its 17 lakhs for the City . When the heck did that happen?

Cars overall are way too overpriced in India today. Manufacturers can blame the external factors all they want for slowing growth rates, but their ridiculous price hikes are also a contributor.
Curious if this is specifically an automotive trend or a more general one due to inflation.
Old 11th March 2020, 16:51   #40
BHPian

Low window line is fast disappearing, even the Discovery lost its trademark profile
Which car trends do you miss?-screenshot_20200311164301.png

Analogue 3D dials
with lovely needles pivoted are getting extinct too
Which car trends do you miss?-screenshot_20200311164718.png
GeeTee TSI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 16:51   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Agreed. The seltos in India with a 1.4 turbo petrol is more expensive than the seltos in the one in Australia and it comes with a 1.6 T-GDI, lane keep assist, auto emergency braking, heck it even has all wheel drive. And it costs less than 21 lacs on road.
Pick any international model and the results are the same!
ron82x3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 17:44   #42
BHPian

I miss:
1. Thumb operated Horns on steering which can be used without taking your hands off. (I have small hands)
Which car trends do you miss?-strng1.jpg
Also,
2. Tactile buttons, buttons which you can feel and use while keeping your eyes on the road. I don't want to drive a wheeled-touchpad.
3. Analogue instrument cluster (atleast the tachometer)
4. Engine sound; makes you feel the machine.

Image courtesy:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...r-padmini.html (The Journey with our Premier Padmini)
jkaushik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 17:57   #43
BHPian

The car trend I miss the most is INTERACTIONS.

In my childhood, we all used to have loads of conversations between the occupants. And then all of a sudden the silence once it was a Ghat Section

Unfortunately, due to these times, nowadays, hardly anyone talks. Everyone is on their phone and only the driver is left to suffer and get bored. No wonder the accident rates have gone up (I am assuming).

What I would give for all gadgets to stop working as soon as people enter my car for them to look up and spend some quality time with family while enjoying an outing.

Besides, all these gizmos within the cars also are very distracting for the driver. I nearly had a bump while I was trying to park. Between the side mirrors, overhead mirror, the rear view camera screen and the parking sensors display, things do get very overwhelming. Gone are the days when we used to just turn our necks and perform a parallel park, alas.

Cheers.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 19:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

For expensive cars - a proper metal roof instead of the glass panoramic nonsense. I don't think any cars in the BMW/Merc/Audi/Volvo/Lexus lineup have a normal roof anymore.

I know everyone goes gaga over them but all it does is make the AC work harder, decrease passenger headroom and add one extra thing that will malfunction.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 19:55   #45
BHPian

I really miss "THE CAR". What I mean is with more and more connected car features, android auto, apple car play, electronics meddling with vehicle stability, AWD systems that are controlled by electronics are making cars less of car more of computer.
I had bought a brand new 4runner in 2017 which literally did not have any electronics. People said it is old and asked me why am I spending $40K on it. I was happy buying "CAR" minus electronics. But sadly the new gen 4runner is having all the it.
Now in India I bought a Duster, again they asked the same question but I am happy just with Android Auto / Carplay minus all other gimmicks.
CarBot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed