Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2020, 15:09   #31
BHPian

Re: Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
The company is Punch Powerglide.

Quoting from Team BHP official review:
Oops! Looks like both are different firms with eerily similar names. Thanks for the clarification, I stand corrected.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 15:09   #32
BHPian

I don't think there is any point in speculating and bashing Tata on the basis of speculations. People raised their eyebrows when there was news of Tata launching a proper AT in the Harrier, but it has been working well and seems reliable from whatever I have read. From the days of Zest, there has been a drastic improvement in the overall quality of Tata cars. Nexon is a very important product for them and they would test any new gearbox / engine iterations thoroughly well before the cars hit the showrooms. Even they have realized that in todays day and age of social media, anything good or bad gets spread like wild fire, and more often than not, the bad spreads really fast.

Till the day media cars get driven and folks give initial impressions, we can only speculate. And till a time when there are many of these new iterations running on road having covered a lot of niggle free kms, we can only hope the engineers at Tata did their job really well.

On the pricing, which car is value for money in recent times? The Skoda Rapid Rider variant ! Most of the cars have touched new pricing levels. As features get added and the "Premium" tag gets more and more diluted, we the customers will face the pricing shocks of today's cars.
Dieselritzer is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 15:23   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.iyer95 View Post
And yes, I too would prefer Tata to come up with a similar well-tuned torque converter rather than a DCT for the Nexon.
Do that and you get a car that offers at least 80-85% of what a Harrier offers, at a price just over half of the Harrier. Not to mention - twice the mileage. (In the diesel side of sales I mean.)

I don't think many business leaders at TML-PC will approve this combination. Unless of course they don't mind the Harrier AT appearing overpriced!

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st July 2020 at 15:26.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 15:36   #34
BHPian

You are right about the DCT being far better than the current AMT in the Nexon.
But, as per the current pricing the top petrol auto models of Venue and Nexon petrol pretty much cost the same. Now it would be safe to assume if the dct came in and replaced the amt the prices would still go up by 75k (this is my guess). Would people still pick the Nexon over the Venue in large numbers then ? I'm sure there will be buyers, my question is just how many.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if say around the festive season Hyundai would launch the fully loaded 6 airbag variant of the Venue auto. If memory serves, they had done that in the previous gen creta facelift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
With DCT, Nexon will move to the segment. With a proper automatic gearbox, there is practically no difference between what Creta offers in the next segment. Space and Engine power-wise, Nexon is very close to Creta base and mid models anyway.
Precisely, atleast the chauffeur driven crowd would an instant go for the Creta. But then again they wouldn't care about the auto gearbox I'm assuming.

This also begs the question, if Mahindra were to bring the aisin TC for the XUV300, what kind of pricing would they go for given that the current diesel amt touches 15 lacs on road already. For 16.5 lacs one can get the seltos diesel auto.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd July 2020 at 20:21. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks.
Old 2nd July 2020, 19:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Punch Powertrain - Looks like an interesting, efficient, and economical (most importantly) DCT solution.

It’s supposed to be a wet multi-plate clutch, so should hopefully be reliable too.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 20:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

I'd rather have them work with a TC or a CVT from Aisin or ZF. Don't get me wrong, I want Tata to succeed and I wish to be proven wrong.
Ditto here. DCTs/DSGs troubled every cars they sat in. I don't know why some manufacturers still make them and I am even more surprised why some people buy them knowing fully well which way things will go. It's only matter of time. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Toyota or Honda don't have any DCT/DSG cars in their line-up. Right?

As it is, Tata cars get lots of undue flak over smallest of issues. Imagine the blame Tata cars will get in case of a DCT failure , even though Tata are not makers of that gearbox. They should just stick to TC, CVT.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 04:25   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Do that and you get a car that offers at least 80-85% of what a Harrier offers, at a price just over half of the Harrier. Not to mention - twice the mileage. (In the diesel side of sales I mean.)

I don't think many business leaders at TML-PC will approve this combination. Unless of course they don't mind the Harrier AT appearing overpriced!
DCT is the popular buzzword now. Pretty sure having one will be a plus point for ordinary buyer. They might not pick Nexon if another similar priced car has dual clutch auto.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 05:59   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Ditto here. DCTs/DSGs troubled every cars they sat in. I don't know why some manufacturers still make them and I am even more surprised why some people buy them knowing fully well which way things will go. It's only matter of time. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Toyota or Honda don't have any DCT/DSG cars in their line-up. Right?
I think only the dry clutch DCTs end up being troublesome - like the DQ200 in VAG cars, DCT in Hyundai Venue etc. These dry clutch DCTs heat up in slow moving traffic.

In the VAG cars, the wet clutch DCTs are known to be very reliable. If Nexon comes with a wet clutch DCT, it may prove to be a reliable and fast gearbox.
graaja is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 08:25   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
DCT is the popular buzzword now. Pretty sure having one will be a plus point for ordinary buyer. They might not pick Nexon if another similar priced car has dual clutch auto.
That's true, the OP that I was responding to, suggested TC AT instead of DCT in the Nexon and Altroz. My post is related with that, not DCT.

Agree with you that the Nexon DCT is inevitable. At least in petrol version.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 09:23   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow, good old torque converters seem to have died out in the sub 20L urban segment. We have Maruti peddling it’s decades old 4speed TC in Ciaz and Baleno. And then we have Hyundai with its 6 speed TC for the Verna, Creta and Seltos diesels. Rest, everyone else has moved to AMTs, CVTs and DCTs. This is rather surprising as torque converters are a most robust and reliable transmission, well suited to Indian conditions. And they are usually cheaper and less complex than DCTs.
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:32   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Somehow, good old torque converters seem to have died out in the sub 20L urban segment. We have Maruti peddling it’s decades old 4speed TC in Ciaz and Baleno. And then we have Hyundai with its 6 speed TC for the Verna, Creta and Seltos diesels. Rest, everyone else has moved to AMTs, CVTs and DCTs. This is rather surprising as torque converters are a most robust and reliable transmission, well suited to Indian conditions. And they are usually cheaper and less complex than DCTs.
Whilst TCs are reliable and cheaper than DCTs they are inherently inefficient machines and hence give lower fuel economy which is a very important point of consideration for Indian buyers especially in the small car segment.
AMTs are cheaper than TCs, DCTs and CVTs are more efficient than TCs which is why I think they have struggled especially in the small car segment.
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

Agreed, this engine and DCT gearbox combo on the Nexon could be a match made in heaven. But I would rather TML heeds to the proverb 'why fix something that ain't broken'. Unless TML is nearing the end of contractual agreement with the AMT supplier.

They should currently focus on pushing the Altrozs, Tigors and Harriers out of the showroom. Unnecessary R&D expenditure will lead nowhere. As for the enthusiasts and Tata loyalists, they are dwindling at a rate faster than the endangered tigers in our country.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 3rd July 2020 at 13:42.
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:21   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Unnecessary R&D expenditure will lead nowhere.
Same engine gear box combination will be used in altroz and the HBX mini suv. So it is not unnecessary R&D for sure
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:24   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
Same engine gear box combination will be used in altroz and the HBX mini suv. So it is not unnecessary R&D for sure
Considering the HBX is going to fight more in the WagonR - Swift segments, I'd be surprised if it gets a DCT. AMT makes more sense for better segment distinction.
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

A combination of planetary gear and fixed ratio gear means that the main clutch is operated only for a start from dead stop, and the belt clutch for the planatary does the intermediate shifting, and will be far more reliable than two clutches.
The current dual clutches are un reliable due to compact size and concentric design.
The 12 speed i shift dual clutch used in Volvo trucks and buses is known to complete its 30 Lakh km life with two or max 3 services.
Longitudinal layout, lower redlines and not getting stingy on space is important part of efficient design. Truck and bus makers follow it, but rules and conditions make car makers do the opposite.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks