Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2020, 10:27   #46
BHPian

Re: Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?

I own a Nexon diesel AMT and yesterday i test drove Nexon EV. Apart from the usual EV benefits what i noticed is what a difference in overall experience a smooth transmission and refinement makes to the same car. While my AMT Nexon feels just adequate for city use, I just loved the EV experience due to its Non AMT automatic and obvious refinement! So, i really wish that Tata brings those non AMT automatic tech in all of their cars to make them best in class.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 5th July 2020 at 10:29.
46TheDoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 13:41   #47

Looks like tata motors launching Nexon DCT in next 3 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?-screenshot_20200830133859.jpg  

535dinesh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 14:24   #48
BHPian

I hope it's the oil cooled DCT and not the dry type. This way we can remain stuck in traffic jams without praying for the transmission to not heat up.

I wish Tata doesn't screw up here because they've been mostly right with Nexon
jasjotbains is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 17:13   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
I hope it's the oil cooled DCT and not the dry type. This way we can remain stuck in traffic jams without praying for the transmission to not heat up.

I wish Tata doesn't screw up here because they've been mostly right with Nexon
Just shift into N whenever the car is stationary for more than 10 seconds- no issues will crop up with DSG/DCT
himanshugoswami is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 20:03   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
I hope it's the oil cooled DCT and not the dry type. This way we can remain stuck in traffic jams without praying for the transmission to not heat
I'm using a dry DCT in Ford Aspire for last 5 years and 50,000 Kms. I'm not a sedate driver by any means, just as mentioned you need to keep it in N at traffic/long stops. The only issue about Tata's DCT is it is not used in many vehicles and it's reliability is unknown. But if DCT is coming to Nexon, it would be on top of my list when I look for a new car along with Altroz DCT. I couldn't find any issues with Nexon mechanically or comfort wise, only the back isn't to my taste.
The Rationalist is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 20:17   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Just shift into N whenever the car is stationary for more than 10 seconds- no issues will crop up with DSG/DCT
Seriously that's it? I've heard people blaming these DCT for heating up, turns out it may be a case of bad driving skills. Who knew.
jasjotbains is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 20:22   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I'm using a dry DCT in Ford Aspire for last 5 years and 50,000 Kms. I'm not a sedate driver by any means, just as mentioned you need to keep it in N at traffic/long stops. The only issue about Tata's DCT is it is not used in many vehicles and it's reliability is unknown. But if DCT is coming to Nexon, it would be on top of my list when I look for a new car along with Altroz DCT. I couldn't find any issues with Nexon mechanically or comfort wise, only the back isn't to my taste.
What about driving in the hills where gear shifts will be frequent? Suppose over a long-ish stretch of hills? That's where you can't have your car giving up on you for any reason.

As for the Nexon's back, I've found that a very simple mod makes it look very acceptable. A fellow BHPian has done it and imo it looks great. I've posted about this elsewhere as well. Link to the original post - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4565649 (Tata Nexon : Official Review)

Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?-new-black-rear-side-nexon-copy.jpg
RoadMonkey is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 20:34   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
What about driving in the hills where gear shifts will be frequent? Suppose over a long-ish stretch of hills? That's where you can't have your car giving up on you for any reason.
I'm using Aspire in my home state of Kerala, my parents are in Wayand a hilly place, have to climb 12 Kms up the hair pin curves to reach the top. I have taken it many times there and haven't found any issue. I don't think that there are more steep roads that one encounter frequently. One's used to DCT, it's difficult to be satisfied with most auto boxes, except few like Amaze CVT in budget segment. Haven't tried higher end one's so won't comment on that. A 5* star vehicle with DCT is icing on the cake for me. I can't ask anything more from any manufacturer. It's close to perfection, isn't it? In early 2002 when I drove my friend's Indica, I hated Tata for such a crude car and never thought I will ever think about buying a Tata.
The Rationalist is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 21:11   #54
BHPian

Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

Have been doing this on all my Cars. From 1989 Nissan Pintara in Australia to Honda Jazz Cvt now. I learned how to drive on a Corolla in Aus and the 2 things I still remember (taught during driving class) for Auto car is, Shift to Neutral when at a red light and release the brakes when turning the wheels at stand still (especially during three point parking).

Last edited by tazmaan : 30th August 2020 at 21:12.
tazmaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 12:06   #55
BHPian

New teaser image.
This one is quite confusing though.
No exhaust so could this be an EV with added range?
The variants has alloy wheels, rear wiper and defogger which suggests it being higher variant but the stick type antenna negates it.
What is it?

Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?-whatsapp-image-20200831-11.04.01-am.jpeg
DriveOnceMore is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 17:21   #56
BHPian

If it's a DCT then I really hope that it's a well sorted DCT gearbox from TATA which has undergone heavy internal testing.

I just don't want TATA to get a bad name anymore. The only way to gain market share is through good products, because your A.S.S guys are not gonna help you any ways, do it yourself!
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 17:24   #57
BHPian

Nexon was Bang-on from the day one.
Hope tata brings in 4x4 feature for nexon which opens up a new category.
ash22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 17:33   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
New teaser image.
This one is quite confusing though.
No exhaust so could this be an EV with added range?
The variants has alloy wheels, rear wiper and defogger which suggests it being higher variant but the stick type antenna negates it.
What is it?
I think it is a DCT variant because Tata is not likely to leave the Blue colour theme for the EVs. But, i will be one happy person if I am wrong here and it is the Long Range EV as I am actually awaiting it!
46TheDoctor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 17:44   #59
BHPian

Going by the picture's theme I hope this is a long range EV!
Old 31st August 2020, 18:19   #60
BHPian

I do not understand why manufacturers are hell bent on DCT these days.

The regular TC type gear boxes are no bad and are quick enough in gear shifts. Turbo engines + TC is the best combo IMO. You have fun of turbo and peace of mind of a TC gearbox.

No doubt, DCT shifts the gear a fraction of a second quicker compared to a TC, but does that really make sense when one has that 'dct failure' thought always at the back of the mind, especially while driving in peak traffic/ hills?
And I personally, when driving an AT car, don't want to use my left limb and shift to N, unless stay is for over a minute. Its not as convenient to do as it is to say, 'just slot it into N'! I like to have a 'fully' automatic experience.

Just drive a last gen Creta AT or current Ecosport AT, and I am sure no one will have any issues with gearshift times!

And, people who buy sub 15 lac cars are not necessarily rich or have multiple cars at home, so reliability becomes an important factor. DCT/ DSG makes sense if you have at least two cars at home. Otherwise, it is sort of a gamble.

I would enjoy a hilly drive peacefully in high torque diesel + TC combo, rather than a DCT car.

Last edited by Mynameis : 31st August 2020 at 18:22.
Mynameis is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks