Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 12:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?

What are you packing under the hood, Mr new Nexon Automatic?

Spotted on the streets of Pune last night by our friendly neighborhood Autospy.

While he noticed that the gearbox was an automatic, he could not have a clear look at the gear lever due to it being dark. It was a completely fresh car, with new & shining camouflage and with seats covered in new plastics.

Both of us suspect that it's the newly-developed DCT box being put through it's paces for the very first time.

Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?-4.jpg

Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?-5.jpg

Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?-6.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 18:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon Facelift spied. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.95 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
What are you packing under the hood, Mr new Nexon Automatic?

Both of us suspect that it's the newly-developed DCT box being put through it's paces for the very first time.
Great news. I had asked you in another thread if the Altroz DCT was going to make its way to the Nexon Petrol. I guess I have my answer !
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 12:04   #3
BHPian

Why do manufacturers have to camouflage the car when they are testing only the mechanical components( i.e. new engine or gearbox) ? Don't they know that such a camouflaged car attracts unnecessary attention? Or is it done purposely to create a buzz about their upcoming developments on online forums ? Or is it a rule to camouflage a car while testing it?
Storm2.0 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 13:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Why do manufacturers have to camouflage the car when they are testing only the mechanical components( i.e. new engine or gearbox) ? Don't they know that such a camouflaged car attracts unnecessary attention? Or is it done purposely to create a buzz about their upcoming developments on online forums ? Or is it a rule to camouflage a car while testing it?
I think manufacturers want to get noticed, that's why.
If they truly wanted to hide, then they can. All the spy pics helps them keep the auto enthusiasts excited.
For example, someone looking for DCT in this category might pause his buying till DCT nexon comes out. Having said that, don't ask me now, isn't it going to affect Nexon AMT sales.
sathya.bhat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 14:56   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

pardon my ignorance but how you do know that this is DCT just by looking at the camouflaged car and from exterior?
DarthVeda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 19:41   #6
BHPian

Did anyone notice Alloy wheels at rear and normal steel wheels at the front?
I hope this does not make in to the final product.
Nexon with DCT will be a nice combination and people who were distancing themselves from Nexon because of AMT will surely have a look once.
itsmb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 20:26   #7
BHPian

Is this dct developed inhouse by Tata? Any details about it?
Old 12th March 2020, 21:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
Is this dct developed inhouse by Tata? Any details about it?

Quoting a post from other thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post

Few things about the upcoming Punch Powertrain's DT1 DCT automatic transmission which is quite different from the regular DCTs:

Punch Powertrain conceived and patented a new way of realizing the dual clutch principle. The second clutch in this new DCT is a normal multiplate clutch, however the first clutch represents an additional planetary gearset ratio that can be engaged between the engine and the transmission. This allows the unit to shift seamlessly between 7 forward ratios, using only 4 gear pairs and one side shaft (similar to MT). This results in a lighter, more compact product, while offering a considerable cost reduction.

Punch Powertrain's DT1 Dual Clutch Transmission is intended for vehicles with maximum engine torque of up to 200 Nm and engine power of up to 110 kW. The large first gear ratio (1:18) is optimized for this application, resulting in smooth accelerations in any circumstance and strong capabilities on inclines. The overall wide ratio coverage of up to 8, enables the transmission to operate with a favorable fuel consumption.
The Manufacturer's page. https://www.punchpowertrain.com/en/products/3/dt1

News link from 2015. https://paultan.org/2015/11/20/punch...proton-models/

Some files I downloaded.
Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?-dt1.jpg

Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?-techsheetdt1punchpowertrain20190325.jpg
jeepster is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 06:25   #9
BHPian

Max input torque of 200NM. Does it mean that DT1 will be used only in petrol models of Nexon? Diesel models will remain in AMT itself.
K_Drive is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 08:01   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?

If RavenAvi suspects it might be a DCT, the odds are pretty damn good . Nexon DCT posts moved to new thread.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 08:18   #11
BHPian

This is what Tata does not need; a DCT to add issues to an almost trouble free product. The Nexon has been a great product for Tata and while it has stood the test of time, the general perception of Tatas after sales service is anyone's guess.

VAG, Ford and Kia have all seen product perceptions dictate fate of excellent product just because of a DCT. It would be a wiser choice to hunt for a normal TC and apply that across petrol and diesel models. Upping the reliability game may win them a bigger war.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 08:28   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
This is what Tata does not need; a DCT to add issues to an almost trouble free product. The Nexon has been a great product for Tata and while it has stood the test of time, the general perception of Tatas after sales service is anyone's guess.

VAG, Ford and Kia have all seen product perceptions dictate fate of excellent product just because of a DCT. It would be a wiser choice to hunt for a normal TC and apply that across petrol and diesel models. Upping the reliability game may win them a bigger war.
+1 to that. With all the issues with heating, premature clutch failures, mechatronic failures etc. seen with DCTs in VAG, Hyundai and Ford cars, it would make more sense if Tata brings a reliable TC to the Nexon.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 08:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. Dual clutch transmissions have been largely ill fated in our demanding and gruelling use conditions. While the technology and accompanying shift quality might be superior in a dual clutch system, reliability is a far more important factor in the Indian market. Consequently, a responsive torque converter gearbox would probably be the more intelligent direction for Tata to adopt.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 10:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
True. Dual clutch transmissions have been largely ill fated in our demanding and gruelling use conditions. While the technology and accompanying shift quality might be superior in a dual clutch system, reliability is a far more important factor in the Indian market. Consequently, a responsive torque converter gearbox would probably be the more intelligent direction for Tata to adopt.
I share your's and graaja's sentiments, but an increasing number of manufacturers are opting for DCTs. I wonder if it's purely for the:
  • Sales brochure - saying that our car has two clutches which makes it ultra-refined - something you won't find in the competition.
  • To be perceived as an innovator - Tata might want to go all-in on the image of being a leader in terms of innovation and tech is concerned, trying to "overwrite" the fact that they were known for barebones cars not so long ago.

Either way, the buyers won't really feel the pinch until a while later, when out-of-warranty expenses for these 'boxes will crop up. I hope I'm proven wrong though!
AnInternetUser is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 10:27   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
True. Dual clutch transmissions have been largely ill fated in our demanding and gruelling use conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
+1 to that. With all the issues with heating, premature clutch failures, mechatronic failures etc. seen with DCTs in VAG, Hyundai and Ford cars, it would make more sense if Tata brings a reliable TC to the Nexon.
Quote:
This is what Tata does not need; a DCT to add issues to an almost trouble free product.
There is one big difference. The DSGs offered by VW, Ford, Jeep and Hyundai/Kia are all dry clutch systems. The PPG brochure for this transmission clearly states that it employs a wet clutch. This one single point can be a game changer when it comes to reliability, as we have seen with the DQ250 and 380 vs the notorious dry clutch DQ200.

This will be the first mass market wet clutch DSG to be sold in India. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 13th March 2020 at 10:51.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (29) Thanks

Most Viewed