1.Overdrive 211 23.92%
2.Autocar India 576 65.31%
3.BS Motoring 95 10.77%
Voters: 882. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2004, 19:52   #16
Team-BHP Support

If you wanna magazine with lot of mush, go for OVERDRIVE.
Wanna know more about auto world? It's AUTOCAR for you???
Old 26th May 2004, 21:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rudra Sen @ May 26 2004,18:22)]If you wanna magazine with lot of mush, go for OVERDRIVE.
Wanna know more about auto world? It's AUTOCAR for you???
Lol, the return of the adman....

.... well said Rudra, well said.

Revv
Old 26th May 2004, 21:35   #18
Team-BHP Support

Autocar India is the only Indian automag that I buy. However, I do glance through the others from time to time.
Old 26th May 2004, 21:40   #19
BHPian

Voted for BSM. I really dont care abt test drives of the latest cars. I buy what i like. Dont need to rely on what the mags say. I guess they all say good things abt cars they test just to get that fat advert contracts.
Like GTO said, u can make out the guys at BSM are fanatical abt their love for cars ad bikes unlike the chaps at the other mags who look like they are paid by the number of pages they fill. A recent edition of bsm had this comparison between suvs and cars which had me in splits. Also the January edition was something of a surprise package to celebrate their 5th year. Something which no other mag will do. When i buy a auto mag, i am actually looking out for something that will make me treasure that book forever. Not something that i will give to the raddiwala after 3 months. This is what is happening to most of the recent editions of both ACI and OD. They no longer find place on my shelf for long. But i have a Sept 1996 edition of topgear which i have read more times than all the editions of 2003 aci put together.
You guys must have noticed in earlier editions of autocar. They used to promise to publish some fantastic reports from their foreign counterparts and then conveniently leave them out. Less said abt OD the better. I think they r a bunch of hypocrites led by a dictator called adil. But i still subscribe to OD to get hold of the 1:18 model car they give with a long time subscription. So the mags come 'free'.
Like S350 says, all need improvement. Waiting for the day when we get Topgear off the shelves.
Old 1st June 2004, 14:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

AI is good for their figures, and devote quite a few of their pages to technical articles, so it makes for good reading. But my favourite is BSM. the most passionate group of car guys around, others dont even come close when it comes to putting your passion on paper. the only mag that i pick up regularly. OD, well, what can i say, just plain puts me to sleep, and not many car mags do that, so they must be special.
Old 1st June 2004, 15:19   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]OD, well, what can i say, just plain puts me to sleep, and not many car mags do that, so they must be special.
Old 1st June 2004, 16:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Talking abt errors from the magazines,
This month's BSM talks about JEEP do they even know most dealers said a no at the jaipur meet cuz it seems DCIL wanted to price it above 30L!

Also one of them mentions (Overdrive) E270CDI is rip off pricing,
Do they even know anything abt prices when they pass such comments?
Old 2nd June 2004, 23:26   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

i prefer autocar than overdrive
overdrive is very much biased toward tata.
auto car too is biased to hyundai but still if you overlook their verdit and only read theremaining story you will be able to decide for your self as only you know what you want in an automobile.
yes i do agree that they are biased towards the new cars in the seg. but like i said , apart from the verdict , everything else they say is not biased.
Old 2nd June 2004, 23:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yes ii agree on the biasing factor. I hate it when that happens. Its totally disheartening
Old 6th June 2004, 13:32   #25
SLK
Senior - BHPian

... lol.... If everyone says ACI..... then how is Overdrive largest selling?... something like Hyundai?... everyone here would say no no to it... and still sells!!!

BTW I am for ACI!
Old 6th June 2004, 19:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

SLK,
I feel that Adil himself buys most of the copies so that it becomes the largest selling mag. (no offense Adil if ur reading this)
Old 6th June 2004, 21:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

I may be the only one here who would pick OD over ACI. Not for it's articles, not for it's news but for the technical page after every road test.

No other mag comes close to OD on this front. As far as articles go, i don't really read much of them, as different people have different opinions about the car. I make my own impressions after i test the cars myself.

As for the exotics that i have no chance of driving, i'd rather read articles on the net.

I only pick these mags if there is any interesting road tests available.

They're all good in their own way and people with different needs will opt for their desired mags. None of them are perfect though.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 7th June 2004, 00:22   #28
F50
Senior - BHPian

Im with u Shan2nu im OD suscriber from past 2 yrs n i'll renew with OD as well
Old 8th June 2004, 01:33   #29
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Paper quality wise. pics wise i feel ACI is the best. But their road tests are not as detailed as OD.
BSM is the best when you wanna know how what a true auto enthusiasts is.
Old 10th June 2004, 23:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

i think overdive is the better one when it cums to some tech details.
most of the info in the tire talk dept is sometimes wrong as i have seen many times when people ask for tire upgrades ,the diameter of the tire is given wrong in autocar.
satya
Closed Thread

Most Viewed