Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you think an extension should be given?
Yes 381 64.36%
No 211 35.64%
Voters: 592. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2020, 14:50   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FADA wants to sell BS4 cars till 31st May, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
AFAIK - BS6 decision and cut-off date was announced in January 2016.

I'm not sure if dealers or even manufacturers should have waited for the last date to do all these registrations - Corona or otherwise!
Absolutely agree here, it was not an overnight decision. Manufacturers had a long duration to fix this issue, they sat on it till the last minute to arm-twist the government to give leeway. Manufacturers dumping stock is nothing new. The majority of the fault surely lies with the manufacturers not planing it right so that they and their dealers don't end up in this situation.

My vote is NO
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 15:18   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Absolutely agree here, it was not an overnight decision.
My vote is NO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
AFAIK - BS6 decision and cut-off date was announced in January 2016.

!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
While this virus thing was unprecedented, the manufacturers were notified well in advance of the migration. It was manufacturers' job to keep a tab on production and clearing up of inventory well before time.

The kind of pandemic we are witnessing today is due to the exploitation of nature and the environment. We will only further contribute to the ever deteriorating environment by allowing an extension to sell BS-4 vehicles. SC will be the best one to judge on it though. My Vote will be NO!

That's what I was wondering too!

Corona is a very poor excuse for allowing BS-4 to be sold beyond the deadline. I am not in favour of the 10% rule (Doesn't matter even if it is totally illogical to be given at the first place).

And I am surprised how so many members supported BS-4 extension and voted for a YES!
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 16:20   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
And I am surprised how so many members supported BS-4 extension and voted for a YES!
If the scenario was cut off date for manufacturers, the poll response would have been inverse. I would have said NO. But the culprit here is the source not the channel.

Anyway for businesses March end is when they book a lot of expenses to get depreciation benefits and all. Now that was gone due to corona pandemic. And with the FY 2019-20 not extended, businesses plans for last week of march go for a toss.
Old 1st April 2020, 16:51   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

This may have been posted by someone, but still:

The government is also to blame here. They could have introduced BS-6 fuel from March 1st. If they had done this, then it would have been a transition period. Govt delayed the supply of fuel and manufacturers were working basis the fuel supply.

If this transition was implemented, we would not have had this situation at all.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 17:29   #155
BHPian

I bought a Honda Activa 5G and paid full payment on 21-March. Dealer has immediately paid the road tax and insurance before the lockout was announced. Only registration number was not allotted. Looks like they allocate specific days for dealers in our RTO for registration. Our dealer has the slot on 26-Mar(Thursday), but lockout was announced before that.

I was wondering what will happen to the vehicle for which we have paid full amount and road tax, insurance was also paid before 31Mar20 incase if SC judgement didn't come in favour. Good that it came in favor. If not company will refund or it will be a loss to the customer?
Old 1st April 2020, 18:18   #156
BHPian

Everyone saying that cut off dates of manufacturing should have been decided or whatever should understand that the Honourable Supreme Court can only effectively control something like registration which comes under the government of India purview.

It was a fair decision back and more than fair even now.

Given the fact that manufacturers had years of knowledge about BS4 vehicle sale cutoff date it shows the blatant disregard they showed for Indian Authorities & as such the decision by Supreme Court is apt and should be fully acceptable.
I cannot say that if dealers play a role in this, but manufacturers surely are the culprit & should not even ask for respite.

Last edited by aviral2122 : 1st April 2020 at 18:25.
Old 1st April 2020, 22:59   #157
Senior - BHPian

Looks to me like the manufacturers decided to manufacture BS4 vehicles well into Feb and expected the dealers to sell a few units at a discount. The coronavirus pandemic threw a wrench in the plan and the dealers have been put under the bus. The government should have temporarily reduces excise duty on BS6 for the first three months of 2020 to encourage a faster transition.

I wish the SC comes with a sensible decision for the dealers. Either let the dealers register the cars in the company name or let them sell it to end customers with higher taxes? I don't see a way that SC can get the manufacturers to take back the stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
A more sensible judgement by the Supreme Court would have been to put a last date to the manufacturing of BS4 cars.
Some manufacturers would have ramped up production to maximize production by the deadline. No the right move in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Somewhere the judgement makes it feel running a business in India is a crime.
I hope it is not the case where dealers have to bear huge losses. We've come a long way after the License Raj in '91. But we need good laws for consumer protection.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 1st April 2020 at 23:00.
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:24   #158

Hi

Will the bs6 apply even for imported used cars? All of these used cars are imported by NRI returning to india from abroad and are owning the cars abroad. Does anyone have any idea about bs6 applicability on this section of importers? Kindly shed some light if you any information. Thanks.
Old 3rd April 2020, 01:34   #159

I notice a lot of members saying that court should have deadline on manufacturing and not sale. I think that would have met the same fate as manufacturers would have then sought an extension sighting reasons like non-availability of a minor part or a certain number of vehicles being "almost" ready.

Another argument being presented is the crashing of the RTO's servers. That's not really a fair claim. Every server/ website is designed to handle a certain traffic[IT Expert members can shed more light here] and any server will crash when the system is overwhelmed.

I do empathise with dealers when they are forced to by manufacturers to pile up stock . But when I did visit several showrooms in Delhi NCR for a car in March, the situation was very very different. One maruti salesman simply refused to sell the car if I didn't buy everything else along with it. He was adamant that I HAD to pay for everything on his "price sheet" !! Another Hyundai dealer was willing to offer only ₹20k discount on a venue.

It's a NO from my side. Regards.
Old 13th April 2020, 14:40   #160
BANNED

Whose BS-IV stock is it anyway
Quote:
The riddle of the BS-IV stock is increasingly getting confusing. Interestingly, half the stock has vanished amid the ongoing lockdown as all stakeholders beg the legal corridors to liquidate their BS-IV stock skeleton that has been haunting the industry for the past several weeks.
FADA wants to sell BS4 cars till 31st May, 2020-screenshot_20200413-etauto-originals-whose-bsiv-stock-anyway-et-auto.png
Quote:
Now the mystery remains how come there’s so much difference in the total number of vehicles in two main stakeholders of the Indian automobile industry that are highly connected. In India all the vehicles are sold through the brick & mortar franchise dealership stores as the online or digital sales are almost negligible, almost a trickle.

While the SIAM and FADA refused to comment on the subject due to its sub-judice nature, the larger issue remains who will bear the brunt of the existing stock.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 14:44   #161
BHPian

Seems like FADA has moved on from BS4-BS6 shift related challenges and approached government to seek support to improve their cash flows and sustain their operations until the situation improves. Their letter to Governments reads “The current situation can lead to an existential situation for many of our members and their employees. The majority of them are small scale family-run businesses with no financial sustenance for such a crisis after already having gone through a tough period in the past 15 months.”

Some of the requests are:

1. A complete waiver of interest on all categories of loans for the lockdown period
2. Extending a four percent interest subsidy for a period of nine months post the lockdown
3. Allow 20 percent additional overdraft on sanctioned credit limits for a period of six months
4. Salary of Employees for the lockdown period should be paid through ESIC

Hope government does respond and come up with a relief package to address some of these.

Source: https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...-modi/75119626

Last edited by camitesh : 13th April 2020 at 14:52. Reason: Added more details
camitesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 10:14   #162
BHPian

Can members here advise if RTOs are open in any of their states? My agent here in Delhi says they arent operational but my car dealer (from another state) called specially to inform that some under the table transactions are happening at RTO Uttrakhand and Noida.

I am waiting to get my BS4 vehicle registered at RTO Delhi. So information will be helpful. Thanks.
Old 25th April 2020, 11:00   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Drives View Post
Can members here advise if RTOs are open in any of their states? My agent here in Delhi says they arent operational but my car dealer (from another state) called specially to inform that some under the table transactions are happening at RTO Uttrakhand and Noida.
Many dealers here in Rajasthan registered left over vehicles in their dealership’s name. But this happened only in the last week of March 2020, when the RTOs were not open (so some under the table deal happened for sure). But I haven’t come across any case here where they got their vehicles registered after 31st March. The RTOs are certainly not open here.
Old 25th April 2020, 11:42   #164
Team-BHP Support

Most of the states (or maybe all) are now online. I don’t think anyone needs to worry about registration of a car which was invoiced in March and has a temporary registration number. These days even Temporary numbers are possible via Vaahan site.

The only way to have a back dated invoice is possible if any particular state has allowed temporary registration off-line in which case it won’t be difficult to change name of buyer in the dealership records and issue a back dated temporary slip.
Old 28th April 2020, 18:58   #165
Senior - BHPian

DC Gurugram just now twitted this.

FADA wants to sell BS4 cars till 31st May, 2020-screenshot-1672.png
mukeshgoel is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks