Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2020, 11:08   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buy a car now or wait for Coronavirus to pass?

Actually i recommend just waiting another month, and you will absolutely get much better deals. Sorry if i am raining on someone else's economic woes.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 11:19   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Actually i recommend just waiting another month, and you will absolutely get much better deals. Sorry if i am raining on someone else's economic woes.
You are right, cost of life comes before cost of business.
Jaan hai toh jahan hai.

Unfortunately every individual and organization is bearing the economic brunt of this viral onslaught.
Old 21st March 2020, 12:18   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
Is it best to wait it out or should I go ahead with the purchase?

A car is not an essential purchase. Now it is the time to keep yourselves, your family and the community safe from exposures and situations that are not absolute necessities.

If you happen to avail yourselves of a loan, please suffer the interest for a month or two. It is better that exposing yourselves and others to this virus. If you are getting a good offer now, please remember that better deals and even better deals will come by your way. We buy cars because we need, we use & we love them, and not because some company is offering us a good deal.

Let us all adhere to every instruction from our health & civic authorities and listen carefully to what our leaders like the Hon. Pradhan Mantriji and the Hon. Chief Ministers of our States say.

Stay safe, stay blessed, waiting to hear a happy car purchase experience from you once the pandemic passes.

Last edited by Yeldo : 21st March 2020 at 12:19.
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 15:13   #64
Senior - BHPian

Im in a similar dilemma. I just sold off my XUV after having driven it for over 4 years and was ready to buy an AT Harrier. My plan was to buy it in the first week of April. Now with this sudden upheaval, am not sure spending 21 lakhs is the wisest thing to do. The flip side is that the only car I have to use right now is an Ignis that I will be sharing with my mother. And given that I do a lot of inter city drives between Delhi and Chandigarh, this is not gonna be a pleasant time! the Ignis has its qualities, but being a comfortable highway cruiser for a six footer is definitely not one of those
Old 21st March 2020, 16:28   #65
BHPian

In these times, I sincerely hope the Regulatory bodies, offer a month or two extension to Car dealers and Auto companies to offload their respective BS4 inventories and hopefully it will be a win win situation for us all.
Old 27th May 2020, 16:22   #66

Is it really a Buyers market now amidst COVID 19 ?

Mod note: Moved to an existing thread with a similar conversation. Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post after getting the coveted T-BHP membership, forgive me for any newbie mistakes during post.

I am scouting for a new car iwithin a budget range of 6-8 lakhs for one of my close relatives. They are senior citizens and are going to be chauffeured around, so a car with more focus on comfort is what we are looking for. During this purchase scout, some of the myths I had are getting busted, which I wanted to share with the community and take an opinion on.

I know a lot of people are talking of how it is a buyers market out there due to COVID 19 now. From my experience till now, I do not see any discounts being offered to lure customers at all ! Here are a few examples I considered -

1. Hyundai Aura -
Zero cash discounts, Zero Loyalty Bonus, Zero Exchange Bonus.
Reason given by salesperson - It is a newly launched car, it is doing good volumes !

2. Renault Triber -
Zero cash discounts, 10K exchange bonus offered for Old car.
Reason given by salesperson - Other car manufacturers price their car higher and give a discount, Renault has already done that in Ex-Showroom price hence we are transparent.

3. Suzuki Swift Dzire -
Zero cash discounts, Zero Exchange Bonus, 10K worth accesories thrown in.
Reason gievn by salesperson - With BS6 cars, we have stopped giving discounts.

I am yet to check on Tigor, but these three cars, I have checked with more than one dealership and the price quotes are same. Is it really a myth that a lot of discounts are being given, or am I not able to negotiate better ?

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th May 2020 at 16:35.
Old 27th May 2020, 16:38   #67
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is it really a Buyers market now amidst COVID 19 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_valak View Post
I am scouting for a new car iwithin a budget range of 6-8 lakhs for one of my close relatives. They are senior citizens and are going to be chauffeured around, so a car with more focus on comfort is what we are looking for. During this purchase scout, some of the myths I had are getting busted, which I wanted to share with the community and take an opinion on.

I know a lot of people are talking of how it is a buyers market out there due to COVID 19 now. From my experience till now, I do not see any discounts being offered to lure customers at all ! Here are a few examples I considered -
My take, discounts are going to be less in the category you are looking in. Since this is the most likely segment where sales are going to catch up, due to people opting for personal transport.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 18:07   #68
Senior - BHPian

Even the 20 lakh category is not seeing much discounts. Dealers and companies have written off the next two quarters so there isn’t too much sales pressure right now
Old 27th May 2020, 23:08   #69
BHPian

The only thing which has gone up after the lockdown is follow up calls from dealers. I got called by BMW, MG and a bunch of other companies I had given my details too.

Surprisingly, none of them are talking about any discounts and it doesn't seem like there will be any big discounts currently.
Old 22nd June 2021, 08:15   #70
BHPian

Advice Needed | Buy a new car now or wait for improvement in the Covid situation

Hello BHPians,
We plan on buying a new car; However, there is one problem that we are facing.

Car Decided-
The car we have decided is a Diesel Manual Innova Crysta in the GX variant.

Background-
We are planning to sell our Innova in a few weeks. We had considered a few options and narrowed down to the new Innova Crysta.

Problem:

Since many doctors/experts have predicted another covid wave, should we go ahead and buy the car right now (by August)?
or
Should we wait for the third Covid wave to die down (that would probably be end of this year or start of next year) and then buy the car?

Note for Mods - Dear Mods, Would it be possible to add a Poll to this thread, it would be very helpful?

Thanks in advance
Warm Regards,
Namit S.
PetrolHead2272 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 15:17   #71
BHPian

Re: Advice Needed!

I would suggest to wait for a few months at least. If you have a car in running condition then waiting makes sense.

If the 3rd wave did hit us then the car would be sitting idle for a couple of months at least.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 15:32   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Advice Needed | Buy a new car now or wait for improvement in the Covid situation

If your current car does not have any issues, then waiting till December would be fair.

December can see some discounts.

But since you are replacing the Innova with a Crysta, check if your dealer is giving you a good offer. If the offer is good enough, then you can still go for it at that time.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 15:50   #73
BHPian

Re: Advice Needed | Buy a new car now or wait for improvement in the Covid situation

If your planning to replace you Innova with Crysta then I think waiting does not make big difference. It's not like Toyota is going to throw a huge discount or launch a facelift. A small advantage might be that your waiting period might be a bit less.
shashi792 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:36   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead2272 View Post
The car we have decided is a Diesel Manual Innova Crysta in the GX variant
If your going for an Innova itself, the sooner you buy the better

Those things will only get expensive over time and the chances of a discount being offered will be nil. The only downside is that you wont be able to drive the car much. But then the strength of the innova has always been about passenger comfort over driving pleasure. With the coronavirus no one can say about anything for sure. If finances are okay do go ahead with the purchase
TrackDay is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:07   #75
BHPian

I am also in a similar situation, stuck with a 9-year-old vehicle (thankfully still trouble-free) and wanting to upgrade for the last 1.5 years.

I have decided to wait till at least Oct-Nov, by when we would have 70-80% vaccine coverage in India and some kind of certainty would emerge which is required to make a big (mone-wise) decision for peace of mind to enjoy the new material possession.
Gsynch is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed