Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 22:59   #1
BHPian

Buy a car now or wait for Coronavirus to pass?

I am stuck in an interesting predicament currently.

I am in the process of finalizing a car deal and as I type this, corona is slowly but surely making its way into our country.

The dealer has asked me to put up a deposit tomorrow with the promise of delivery on the first Navratra.

Is it best to wait it out or should I go ahead with the purchase?
rahul_jo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 23:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buy a car now or wait for Coronavirus to pass?

You can buy it. Life goes on as usual but just take all necessary precautions. Who knows if the situation eventually will subside by Navratri festival (pray to the almighty).

Only thing you need to consider the finance part; due to this scare the economy will be impacted for sure. Just make sure this purchase is not hurting your finance nor putting any cash goals in jeopardy.

Last edited by bluevolt : 17th March 2020 at 23:28.
bluevolt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 07:47   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whether you are self-employed or an employee, I would recommend waiting. IMHO, the Coronavirus pandemic is just starting off and we don't know how tomorrow will be. This is the time to freeze all big purchases.

Based on your posting history, you are thinking of buying the Endeavour or 330i. Also based on your posting history, you have a ~4 year old 320d. This is the time to "retain" your existing car, not "buy" a new one.

Only exception is if you really, absolutely need a new car, but I don't think that's the case either with you or most people (considering work-from-home, no travel, no social outings etc.).

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2020 at 09:07.
GTO is offline   (104) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 07:55   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Based on your posting history, you are thinking of buying the Endeavour or 330i. Also based on your posting history, you have a ~4 year old 320d. This is the time to "retain" your existing car, not "buy" a new one.

Only exception is if you really, really need a new car, but I don't think that's the case.
You are correct. Currently planning on buying the BS6 Endeavour. Did have the 330i in mind as well to replace my 320d.

However, Bmw isn't offering any substantial discounts on it yet. So have put that on the back burner.

The plan was to take advantage of the 30% depreciation for march car purchases.

No. There is no urgent need for a car currently.
rahul_jo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 08:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
You are correct. Currently planning on buying the BS6 Endeavour

The plan was to take advantage of the 30% depreciation for march car purchase

Don't buy. With uncertainty in terms of work from home/job loss etc no unnecessary spending is encouraged. This is the time to hunker down, cut expenses to the bare minimum and wait for things to get better.
AirbusCapt is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 08:19   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did have the 330i in mind as well to replace my 320d.
This is the time to tighten our belts, buddy. Related thread on why you should retain your 5-year old car.

Quote:
The plan was to take advantage of the 30% depreciation for march car purchases.
You'll get it next year too . Also note that buying a car for depreciation is like spending 20 bucks to save 3. Depreciation is a cost, hence your actual benefit is *your income tax bracket* as a percentage of the depreciation cost.

Quote:
Please hold onto your nice 320d then. Spend 30 - 40 grand on a good remap and spice things up instead.
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 09:31   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is the time to tighten our belts, buddy.
You'll get it next year.
I agree with the general views about spends at this time, whether you are salaried or have a business. No one knows what’s ahead, but certainly, it’s not the end of the world. Depending on whom we speak or discuss, the whole situation/ mood changes. My brother called me from Canada last night and spent a good time telling me how to take care and stop movement and stock essentials, and I got anxious. Then I heard some guys from ICMR explain how this is not yet a community spread in India.

I am not an expert in accounts either, but from whatever I can make out, usually, yearly depreciation is 15% which is 30 % for this Financial year. So if you already have a Tax liability, this 30% can indeed be your net saving on the taxes you have to deposit to the Government. But I can be wrong, and others can correct me.

If the OP also has a tax liability and is shopping in the segment, he should go-ahead with purchase. Not many people have the patience to hold on the purchase of such toys

But my pick will be a BMW over Ford. 3 series is a proper sedan now and once you are used to driving a 3 it will be hard to go to Endeavour especially with that new engine. Diesels are being sold at very competitive prices and will be a better option even with 10 Year NCR rule.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th March 2020 at 09:43.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 10:04   #8
BHPian

Buy only if you are opting for a BS4 due to current discounts and valid to register until 31st March!
AirWind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 10:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

But my pick will be a BMW over Ford. 3 series is a proper sedan now and once you are used to driving a 3 it will be hard to go to Endeavour especially with that new engine. Diesels are being sold at very competitive prices and will be a better option even with 10 Year NCR rule.
I'll be keeping my 3 series and will only let it go if/when I get a decent deal on the new 330i.

Ford is going to be another purchase. As I've always needed a car that is rugged enough to
not make me worry about outstation/poor road situations.
rahul_jo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 10:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would look at it as an opportunity to arm twist the dealer for more discount(Lesser sales)and purchase. All the variations due to Corona are temporary. if there are permanent damages to economy conditions, it is definitely not because of corona. It requires a separate analysis and decision making.

Since this thread is only on Corona related purchase decision, I see an advantage.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 10:25   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'll be keeping my 3 series and will only let it go if/when I get a decent deal on the new 330i.

Ford is going to be another purchase.
In case you have made up your mind on Ford unless you have compelling reasons like Depreciation or immediate needs, better hold and see how the situation develops. Endeavour is an old product so there is no novelty factor to pay the full prices. In this segment, my pick will be Fortuner over the Endeavour, do consider Toyota as well.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 10:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
In case you have made up your mind on Ford unless you have compelling reasons like Depreciation or immediate needs, better hold and see how the situation develops. Endeavour is an old product so there is no novelty factor to pay the full prices. In this segment, my pick will be Fortuner over the Endeavour, do consider Toyota as well.
Fortuner is definitely a great package, however, the ride quality was a little too stiff for my liking. Did not feel as comfortable as the Endeavour plus the interiors of the Toyota are a deal breaker for me.
rahul_jo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 11:06   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm also in a similar soup. Have put my beloved Octavia 1.8 TSI on sale and focusing on a 330i. But getting cold feet.

I also have no real reason to sell my immaculate Octy. PM me for any updates on 330i deals
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 11:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I'm also in a similar soup. Have put my beloved Octavia 1.8 TSI on sale and focusing on a 330i. But getting cold feet.

I also have no real reason to sell my immaculate Octy. PM me for any updates on 330i deals
Yes better to wait it out until they have the juicy 10-12 lac typical BMW discounts. I've been on and off in touch with them for the last 6 months and the best they've offered me so far is 5 lacs off.
rahul_jo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 11:43   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Discounts due to production and supply cuts are going down especially on BS6 models so if you have something already in the pipeline go ahead and purchase it.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks