Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th March 2020, 15:35   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster BS6 launched, but with only the 1.5L petrol (no 1.3 turbo, no diesel)

I called up two renault dealers this morning enquiring about the left over bs4. None available. Did not bother asking about petrol. despite the dated looks and equipment, a bs6 diesel would have still sold well for its ruggedness. Not sure if additional investment makes business sense but with this launch it surely has killed the brand duster.
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 15:54   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster BS6 launched, but with only the 1.5L petrol (no 1.3 turbo, no diesel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
I called up two renault dealers this morning enquiring about the left over bs4. None available. Did not bother asking about petrol. despite the dated looks and equipment, a bs6 diesel would have still sold well for its ruggedness. Not sure if additional investment makes business sense but with this launch it surely has killed the brand duster.
Yes, all the stocks of Duster BS4 are cleared.
Most of the stocks at dealership were cleared last month itself.(Atleast in Bangalore).

My friend wanted to buy a Duster AWD last month.
But the SA at Trident Renault had clearly told that there are no stocks.

The diesel would have still sold, for it's good engine, ruggedness, ride quality. (I myself bought a Duster in December).
We still have huge demand for Dusters, atleast in and around my place (Coorg, Chikmagalur, Sakleshpur the agricultural and coffee estate areas)
Renault should have upgraded diesel engine to BS6.

Though quality, fit and finish, features were still not upto the mark, the Duster(diesel) was the one which used to bring sales to Renault combined with the Kwid. (With Triber being the new entry).

I feel it was the right time for Renault to bring a new facelift, with better quality interiors and safety features.
Along with the turbo 1.3, automatic and diesel engines.

Last edited by DLC5005 : 18th March 2020 at 15:57.
DLC5005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 18:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
No K9K diesel engine.
No AWD
No CVT automatic.
The same old lame petrol engine!

Why does Renault even have a 'register your interest' button on their website for this 8-year old product, which they have now stripped bare of all its selling points?

We need at least one affordable AWD Mini-SUV in India. I hope Renault 1.3L petrol comes with AWD
Old 19th March 2020, 04:14   #19
BHPian

What a stupid news

We were planning to pick up BS4 diesel but put the plans on holds after seeing the turbo petrol. Our i20 is already 9 year old and I am losing interest in Duster day by day. Id rather get Venue or Seltos instead of getting heartbroken by Renault again and again.
Old 19th March 2020, 05:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster 1.3L Petrol @ Auto Expo 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
It is not always about adult protection. Even Child protection is equally important where it just scored 2 stars. ......
I can’t think of any car other than XUV300 south of 20L which scored decently for all the occupants!!! Till the time all the cars sold in India score 5 stars in crash ratings, their makers should be called out at every opportunity! Of course the outcome will depend greatly on the car buying crowd but the rest of the car loving fraternity should keep up their voice!!!
kkr2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 07:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

The lack of CVT turbo option may have to do with the lack of global supply chain more than anything else. No one anticipated a global lockdown in the days leading to the Auto expo, it was more of a China centric phenomenon.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 12:19   #22
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Renault's strategic focus is clearly on the affordable car segment. They seemed to have tooled up for this segment from the spare (and obsolete) prototyping facility in Asia. This was mentioned in one of the articles about Gerard Detourbet who introduced the affordable cars like the Logan (Europe) and Kwid (India).

With the upcoming compact SUV based on the CMF-A (Kwid's) platform, They would have a bread and butter 3-car line-up.

Their main aim is to be in the sub 10 Lac segment for now. The cars in the higher segments Duster/Captur/Lodgy were neither heavily localized at launch nor was the localization increased further in the product cycle. They continue to be more expensive to maintain by 25-40 % compared to home grown products on offer from competitors.
Old 19th March 2020, 17:43   #23
BHPian

About to exit the market is the most affordable and practical AWD in the Indian market.

With the exit of the Duster AWD, following is the current scenario going to be faced by a buyer looking forward to buy a 4x4/AWD vehicle.

The only other affordable 4x4/AWD cars available for sale in India, the Mahindra Thar and Force Gurkha have not launched the BS6 versions yet.

The updated Force Gurkha with the BS6 compliant 2.6L 85 Bhp engine was displayed at the Auto Expo and is expected to go on sale soon.

Mahindra Thar test mules have been doing rounds for quite sometime with no signs of launch anytime soon.

Both of these are capable off-roaders, but they are not practical as a sole family vehicle like the Duster.

The Isuzu D-Max V-Cross has not yet been launched with the BS6 engine and even if launched I doubt it would cater as an everyday car.

The next in line in terms of price is the Hexa AWD which is not a very affordable one and more importantly is going to be exit the market soon.

Mahindra XUV500, which not only had an AWD but also had an awesome AWD/AT combo is also going to miss the AWD in the BS6 update according to recent reports.

So that brings us to the next car price wise, the Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 which is practical in every sense, but is in no way an affordable one to the majority of buyers.

After March 31st, the most affordable 4x4/AWD available in India for quite some time would be the Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 which retails for around 27 Lakh.
Old 19th March 2020, 19:07   #24
BHPian

Out of curiosity, is the 1.5 NA Petrol engine on the Renault 'that' bad ? I feel ~105 bhp and a torque of ~140 Nm should be just enough, no ? Definitely not under-powered. If one can consider the ride quality and space that this car offers.
Old 19th March 2020, 19:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Out of curiosity, is the 1.5 NA Petrol engine on the Renault 'that' bad ? I feel ~105 bhp and a torque of ~140 Nm should be just enough, no ? Definitely not under-powered. If one can consider the ride quality and space that this car offers.

The engine itself might not be bad but in the current avatar, this car is going to be the biggest disappointment of the year. Renault's four step guide on the art of being a killjoy:
  • Grab everyone's attention (at a big event like Autoexpo) by positioning a turbo engine with mouthwatering power figures
  • Tell your Expo team to spread the word that the car is already production
  • Go for a silent update with same old power figures to kill all the buzz and joy. And remind everyone why Duster is in it's current predicament, despite being a hotseller at one point of time
  • Not to forget - Do not upgrade an unsafe and old platform. After all, old is gold and who does not want to feel the adventure of living on the edge everytime they step in their car
I would have nominated this car for TeamBhp anti-COTY, only if there was one

Last edited by warrioraks : 19th March 2020 at 19:48.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed