Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2020, 09:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bought a used car, transferred the ownership online! New digital experience from the RTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Like you say, may be the vehicle details were not digitised by the previous RTO. But our fellow member hserus's Scorpio isn't very old and TN14 is a recently opened RTO.
2015 Scorpio and it had a smartcard RC so it was definitely digitized.
Old 22nd March 2020, 15:09   #17
BHPian

Re: Bought a used car, transferred the ownership online! New digital experience from the RTO

This was the procedure thats followed in AP and TS since a long time. This sure makes your life easy. The problems started when they started adding Aadhar details in the form which used to pop an error every now and then saying there is already a vehicle on this aadhar. So what? am I not supposed to have a second car? However, I managed to find a work around for it.
Old 12th April 2020, 01:24   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Like most of my fellow citizens, I also believed that going to a Government office to get any work done was a tedious process, requires multiple visits and is not worth the time and boy was I proved wrong! Recently I transferred ownership for my car and I did it mostly from my computer.
  • I did a PUC test on my way to the RTO to submit the documents. By the time I reached the RTO, the PUC test and the certificate where already updated on the RTO's portal and mParivahan app also displayed the PUC validity date. It is seamlessly centralised. PUC test in Chennai Adyar costs Rs 200 (Rs 60 is the stipulated fee and Rs 140 is the service charge for the same). I got this done at Chennai Mandaveli for Rs 80 (Rs 60 is the stipulated fee and Rs 20 is the service charge for the same). Both the centres are well equipped and also add the car licence plate image into the PUC certificate.
Great info and comes at the apt time for me as I just purchased a pre-owned car and yet to do the name transfer. Couple of questions.

1. I already have the Form 29 & 30 signed up by the seller. Does it still make sense to select the online option or walk into the RTO ( Thiruvanmiyur in my case where I want to re-register from the current Meenambakkam RTO)?

2. Why the PUC costs are different? Do they do it in RTOs or some other places like the fuel pumps - I know the IndianOil pump (near the mosque at Adyar Bus station) does PUC. Were you referring to the same place?

3. Do I need to get a VIN engraving as well in either approach (direct walk in or online)?

Bhpian hserus manages to do ownership transfer by himself for his pre owned cars and swears by the TN07 RTO and them being nice and efficient.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 12th April 2020 at 01:36.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 08:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
1. I already have the Form 29 & 30 signed up by the seller. Does it still make sense to select the online option or walk into the RTO ( Thiruvanmiyur in my case where I want to re-register from the current Meenambakkam RTO)?
You will anyway have to make the payment online so select the online option for transfer after you get an noc from Meenambakkam to transfer to Thiruvanmiyur. If the parivahan site allows you to pay to the Meenambakkam then that works even better.

Keep the form 29/30, delivery note etc signed by the seller and fill those. Just attach the payment receipt and appointment slip that the site gives you on top of the forms.

You need to have a tracing of the VIN anyway regardless of online or offline application.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 08:43   #20
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Great info and comes at the apt time for me as I just purchased a pre-owned car and yet to do the name transfer. Couple of questions.

2. Why the PUC costs are different? Do they do it in RTOs or some other places like the fuel pumps - I know the IndianOil pump (near the mosque at Adyar Bus station) does PUC. Were you referring to the same place?

3. Do I need to get a VIN engraving as well in either approach (direct walk in or online)?

Bhpian hserus manages to do ownership transfer by himself for his pre owned cars and swears by the TN07 RTO and them being nice and efficient.
Congrats on your Fiesta swiftnfurious.

1. If you know the seller and if you think you can get their signatures again on the Form 29 and 30, then opt for a completely online application as it reduces clerical level spelling errors in data entry. All data (yours) is keyed in by you and all the RTO staff has to do it approve the same. This was one of the main reason for me to opt too do it myself as I have this OCD towards spelling and formatting.

2. As per RTO, Rs 60 is the charge for the test. They really don't bother about the additional charges levied by these service centres. Yes, I'm referring to the same IOC bunk in Adyar where it is more of a monopoly in the business. There are no other PUC centres nearby Adyar, Thiruvanmiyur. I went to the one in Mandaveli, that's opp the bus terminus and near the RTO where I was to submit the documents. If you drive past Mandaveli or Mylapore, it is 2 mins job to get this done there.

3. I took the online route and the list of documents does not include the VIN engraving. Prior to that, I had asked for my used car dealer to process the name change, and all they wanted was my signature on the forms and one address proof photocopy. They for sure didn't have access to pencil etch the VIN from my car. You can refer to the documents required on this portal and if your RTO staff is asking for anything over and above (which they wouldn't) the prescribed list, all you need to do is, show them this website.

Yes, I agree with Mr Suresh, the TN07 RTO staff are polite. My interactions were more with TN06 RTO staff and they were polite too. A senior citizen who had come to the RTO before me as he lost his driving licence and had no photocopy of it nor remembered the DOB on it (those days when multiple DOBs were common), the RTO staff patiently did a complete check on the database with multiple spelling options of his name, PIN code etc. After no results turned up, he took him through the complete process to re-apply and ensured the person understood it completely. The RTOs are definitely going through a transformation in public relations.
tud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 10:41   #21
BHPian

Nice to know. Is the ownership transfer online possible in Telangana, Andhra too? Can inter state cars also be registered liked this?
Old 12th April 2020, 11:19   #22
BHPian

Fantastic thread - wasn't even aware that we finally have a chance to break the vicious circle of agents and corrupt officials to a certain extent. OP - big thank you and cheers!
Any chance that the portal also allows re-registering vehicles outside a state/ shows the balance of road tax (to be paid or returned) etc?
Someone mentioned about the RTOs being listed if NOC is availed for the respective centers. How exactly will this happen?
For e.g., if I buy a vehicle from Bombay and want to re-register/clear the tax for Bangalore (Karnataka), how would the NOC process work?
katoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 12:05   #23
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Nice to know. Is the ownership transfer online possible in Telangana, Andhra too? Can inter state cars also be registered liked this?
Yes, you will have to select the appropriate state after choosing between Delhi and Other states on this page. Interstate transfers are also possible. The first step would however be the NOC application (again available online).

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
Fantastic thread - wasn't even aware that we finally have a chance to break the vicious circle of agents and corrupt officials to a certain extent. OP - big thank you and cheers!
Any chance that the portal also allows re-registering vehicles outside a state/ shows the balance of road tax (to be paid or returned) etc?
Someone mentioned about the RTOs being listed if NOC is availed for the respective centers. How exactly will this happen?
For e.g., if I buy a vehicle from Bombay and want to re-register/clear the tax for Bangalore (Karnataka), how would the NOC process work?
Well I haven't had the chance to re-register an out of state vehicle, the parivahan portal does explain in detail about the formalities.

To re-register an out of state car, login with your car regn number, chassis number and OTP and choose Apply for NOC. Submit relevant documents and display the vehicle for inspection and obtain the NOC. This is the job of the seller.

The buyer has to log in and follow the process listed in the first post. The only difference being the selection of RTO from the other state. Based on the invoice value of the car, the website would display the tax to be paid.

Note - This is my understanding of the other state ownership transfer process based on the information provided on the parivahan portal.
tud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 11:11   #24
BHPian

Hi, I have a related question for which I've been getting conflicting answers on this forum and Google in general. It would be great if someone can help.
I have a company leased car registered in gurgaon. Now I'm foreclosing the lease and want to transfer the car in my name. I have residence proof of delhi.
I understand that I would need to pay the road tax again in delhi at some depreciated rate (the rate is also not available online) but is there a refund that happens for the tax paid in gurgaon. In my case, while the leasing company had deposited the tax, it was recovered from me only finally as part of the lease. If there is no refund, am I not paying the road tax twice.
Any help will be appreciated
Old 31st May 2020, 11:37   #25
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsoboy View Post
I have a company leased car registered in gurgaon. Now I'm foreclosing the lease and want to transfer the car in my name. I have residence proof of delhi.
I understand that I would need to pay the road tax again in delhi at some depreciated rate (the rate is also not available online) but is there a refund that happens for the tax paid in gurgaon. In my case, while the leasing company had deposited the tax, it was recovered from me only finally as part of the lease. If there is no refund, am I not paying the road tax twice.
Any help will be appreciated
A hassle free process will be to re-register your car in Gurugram itself. It is just a simple ownership transfer. In this case there is no issue of you paying tax for the car or deal with the issues of claiming any refund. It's a simple process and can be done online. In your case though based on your issue with address documents, you will need an agent to help you out.

Next option is to re-register your car in Delhi. It involves getting an NOC from Gurugram, pay pro rated tax at Delhi RTO when you apply to transfer ownership and re-register the car. Now for the tax refund you will have to go back to Gurugram RTO with proof that your car ownership has changed, taxes have been paid in Delhi and then claim for a refund. At this stage you may also need additional signatures and NOC from the leasing company. Again, you only need a competent agent to handle it.
Old 31st May 2020, 18:09   #26
BHPian

Excellent thread, very informative.
I just wanted to know, since you transferred the vehicle from TN07 to TN06 does it mean that you got a new number with TN06 on the number plate?
Old 7th June 2020, 14:15   #27
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Excellent thread, very informative.
I just wanted to know, since you transferred the vehicle from TN07 to TN06 does it mean that you got a new number with TN06 on the number plate?
Thank you for your kind words. Ownership change within the same state does not require a change in licence plate. I still drive with the TN07 plates and it is absolutely legal.
tud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 12:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

I have a peculiar problem

I have purchased santro through company lease and got registered in Electronic city RTO (KA51)
Now that company lease is over, I want to transfer ownership to my name.

But the issue is, when I try to fill details to make online payment, it gives an alert that

"Your RC BOOK is active in two RTOs. Contact respective RTO as per your requirement" RTO CHANDAPUR AND RTO ELECTRONIC CITY

I don't understand why my RC BOOK is active in these two RTOs?

Secondly, what is the process to get this sorted? What are the documents required?Any pointers will surely help

My only hope is, they won't ask my parents marriage certificate(both my parents are no more) and my second child s birth certificate (I have only one child)

Last edited by gkveda : 11th June 2020 at 12:50.
Old 15th June 2020, 18:25   #29
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I Bought a Wagon R AMT in March. The car was on finance and the original RC was sent to RTO for HP removal so the original RC was not presented when I bought the car. But I did get the application receipt and I validated the same on the Vahan Portal. I gave my documents to the dealer for ownership transfer ang get the RC in one go. The problem is there was a delay of few days from the dealer and the agent and the lockdown was announced. The dealer has been consistently saying that the ownership transfer is already applied in the RTO but I only see HP termination on the Vahan Portal. I bought this car for my dad. I renewed the insurance under my name since I thought within a week or two I would get the RC. My question is what happens if the car is damaged? I am assuming insurance wouldn’t be valid since the RC is still under original owners name and insurance under my name. And if I am right what are the options I have now. The car has been lying idle for over 4 months now and my father has to manage without a car. Please help with your valuable suggestions.

I still have to pay 35 K to the dealer which I didn’t pay due to unavailability of the RC.

Last edited by nik0502 : 15th June 2020 at 18:26.
Old 15th June 2020, 18:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

He will also be interested to close the sale and get his 35,000

A lot of RTO work is backlogged but you have a valid point about your insurance not being too valid without a transfer in place.

Ask dealer or the RTO agent for the application paperwork that he submitted - there should be a receipt for the transfer fee, with a tracking ID. You can look up your application from the Vahan portal then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
The dealer has been consistently saying that the ownership transfer is already applied in the RTO but I only see HP termination on the Vahan Portal. I bought this car for my dad. I renewed the insurance under my name since I thought within a week or two I would get the RC. My question is what happens if the car is damaged? I am assuming insurance wouldn’t be valid since the RC is still under original owners name and insurance under my name. And if I am right what are the options I have now. The car has been lying idle for over 4 months now and my father has to manage without a car. Please help with your valuable suggestions.

I still have to pay 35 K to the dealer which I didn’t pay due to unavailability of the RC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks