Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd March 2020, 17:24   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: BMW launches new, cheaper "Sport" variant of the 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
the Sport versions are significantly stripped down and I would hesitate to buy them - imagine spending 60-65 lakhs on a car and getting art leather upholstery
Most of the Mercedes including C, E and till recent past S class never had leather. On the contrary, I find the newer base 3 model interesting. Regarding sports seats, the basic ones are not bad either. There are even better comfort seats that BMW offers on other models so there will be guys cribbing about sports seats.

What they should have definitely retained is Car Play. Itís such a basic utility. Yes, itís wireless and might cost a bit but not too much. Maybe they just want to have a differentiator. Will be interesting to check if you can get as an upgrade from dealership. Most likely hardware should be available.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 19:19   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
What they should have definitely retained is Car Play. Itís such a basic utility. Yes, itís wireless and might cost a bit but not too much. Maybe they just want to have a differentiator. Will be interesting to check if you can get as an upgrade from dealership. Most likely hardware should be available.
Interesting to find out, yes. I understand we need iDrive 7.0 which these 2020 3 & 5 Series cars must be having anyway. Issue is whether BMW will allow activation and/or charge a bomb for it.

Android Auto should be integrated by July as well: https://www.caradvice.com.au/836570/...auto-mid-2020/
Old 18th April 2020, 10:34   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a question on the ride & handling characteristics of the India-spec 330i:

1. Do we get the M-Sport suspension or is it merely a stiffer one compared to the 320D?
2. Do both the M-Sport & Sport variants get the same suspension setup?
3. Will the M-Sport's handling be far sportier with the staggered 18" wheels compared to the Sport's 17" wheels?
4. Are the M-Sport 18" tyres very difficult to get in India?

Any help will be deeply appreciated!
Old 18th April 2020, 14:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

1. Do we get the M-Sport suspension or is it merely a stiffer one compared to the 320D?
3. Will the M-Sport's handling be far sportier with the staggered 18" wheels compared to the Sport's 17" wheels?

I think the 18s will make a difference. M-Sport I have came with Michelin PS4 which I'm sure are hard to get. I am still unable to get the same OEM tires that I got with my 2013 320D till date. They came with Bridgestone Potenza S0001, but in India they still have RE050 the older version. But the performance is very different.
avi_66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 16:14   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had a question on the ride & handling characteristics
Difficult to answer as not many dealerships have actually sold the newer one. Best will be to decide after decoding VIN of both. In the past, BMW didn’t offered M/ active suspension on all M variants.

Quote:
Will the M-Sport's handling be far sportier with the staggered 18" wheels compared to the Sport's 17" wheels?
Technically, most BMWs being RWD, it helps to have a wider wheels in the rear. But you might not notice easily and 17 inches may have a softer ride. Things will be different at higher speeds, handling vise.

Quote:
Are the M-Sport 18" tyres very difficult to get in India?
No, very easy. You can even get Michelin sports4 easily. For RFT, choices might be less but I don’t believe in those ever. In fact, that’s the first and only change I do to any of my new BMW car!

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th April 2020 at 16:16.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 16:46   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

#1. When I was researching for the M-Sport suspension upgrade for my 330i GT, I found that 330i sedan M Sport variant came with proper M-Sport suspensions. Only the GT came with regular suspensions found in 320d GT. But knowing BMW, they may have changed this and the latest 330i M Sport may come with regular suspensions.

#3. Yes. The handling will be far superior with 18" staggered setup compared to 17" wheels.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 18:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are the same in India, i have not seen BMW advertising of a stiffer or different suspension set up for Indian cars, in other countries the M sport comes with a stiffer setup.

Quote:
Yes, there is a difference and you will notice at high speeds and quick direction changes. My cousin just picked up a pre owned F30 320D M sport that came with 18 inch wheels with Bridgestone RFT's and staggered setup, the issue with 18's was that 3 alloys were already bent and we also blew a tyre on our highway trip.

That car does a lot of touring and we were not comfortable with the 18 inch low profile tyres so we downgraded to 225/50 R17 Michelin PS4 as you need to be careful with the size that comes with M sport spec. The ride improved tremendously but the car did loose some of its sharpness and high speed stability, this was a sacrifice he was willing to make.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 20:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing in the BMW brochures/material for the Indian market that states that the M Sport variant gets a different suspension tuning compared to either the 320D or 330i Sport for the 2020 MY. The M Sport package in our market seems to be simply cosmetic updates.

Having said that, the M Sport package does come with different Tire/Wheel package - thinner sidewalls on the 18", for example. That on its own would give you some noticeable difference in ride and handling. Without instrumenting the vehicle, it is hard to give objective numbers obviously, but a simple back to back test drive would let you make a subjective assessment.

18" are harder to find in stock than the smaller wheel sizes, but definitely not really that miserable to find either. I got 18" on both my Endeavor and 330i M Sport, but I didn't have any issues finding options locally in Bangalore.
jfk1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 20:35   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
As for the 18" M Sport alloys, I intend changing over to 17" in my F30 M Sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi_66 View Post
I think the 18s will make a difference. M-Sport I have came with Michelin PS4 which I'm sure are hard to get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Best will be to decide after decoding VIN of both. In the past, BMW didnít offered M/ active suspension on all M variants.

Technically, most BMWs being RWD, it helps to have a wider wheels in the rear. But you might not notice easily and 17 inches may have a softer ride. Things will be different at higher speeds, handling vise.

No, very easy. You can even get Michelin sports4 easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
#1. When I was researching for the M-Sport suspension upgrade for my 330i GT, I found that 330i sedan M Sport variant came with proper M-Sport suspensions.

#3. Yes. The handling will be far superior with 18" staggered setup compared to 17" wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
They are the same in India, i have not seen BMW advertising of a stiffer or different suspension set up for Indian cars, in other countries the M sport comes with a stiffer setup.

Yes, there is a difference and you will notice at high speeds and quick direction changes. My cousin just picked up a pre owned F30 320D M sport that came with 18 inch wheels with Bridgestone RFT's and staggered setup, the issue with 18's was that 3 alloys were already bent and we also blew a tyre on our highway trip.

That car does a lot of touring and we were not comfortable with the 18 inch low profile tyres so we downgraded to 225/50 R17 Michelin PS4 as you need to be careful with the size that comes with M sport spec. The ride improved tremendously but the car did loose some of its sharpness and high speed stability, this was a sacrifice he was willing to make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk1975 View Post
The M Sport package in our market seems to be simply cosmetic updates.

18" are harder to find in stock than the smaller wheel sizes, but definitely not really that miserable to find either.
Thank you everyone! Summarized as below:

18" staggered gives top-notch handling at higher speeds but at the cost of some stiffness. At city speeds, there may not be any appreciable difference.
Costs are much lower for the 17" tyres and choice is wider with Michelin offering it across the counter. 18" choices more dicey
18" rims are also significantly more damage-prone and tyres more prone to blowouts/damage. Highway users can be at risk.

Also referencing a couple of relevant posts by 'haldar siliguri' w.r.t. his E90 330i on the PS4 thread & 'anandpadhye' on his F30 330i
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4630774 (Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4662047 (Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4640774 (BMW silently launches the 330i, priced from Rs. 42.4 lakh)

Purely my opinion, but I actually like the Sport variant's rims better than the more busy-looking M-Sport 18" ones or the very busy Luxury Line 17" ones.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th April 2020 at 08:52. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 21:25   #40
BHPian

Looks like BMW dealers in Bangalore started offering discounts/deals.
The Carwale site shows BMW Deutsche Motoren, Whitefield Bangalore offering 4.99 % interest rate among other benefits.
It's good Bangalore has 2 dealers now. Earlier with only BMW Navnit there was less scope for negotiations.

BMW launches new, cheaper "Sport" variant of the 330i-bmw.png

Last edited by aah78 : 18th April 2020 at 23:06. Reason: Image inserted in-line, spacing. Typos!
nikhil_pon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 08:48   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

The 17" on the Sport looks the best in my opinion!
Attached Thumbnails
BMW launches new, cheaper "Sport" variant of the 330i-screenshot_20200418170017.jpg  

BMW launches new, cheaper "Sport" variant of the 330i-screenshot_20200418165915.jpg  

BMW launches new, cheaper "Sport" variant of the 330i-screenshot_20200418165819.jpg  

Last edited by manson : 19th April 2020 at 23:25. Reason: Typo.
Old 19th April 2020, 09:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
Looks like BMW dealers in Bangalore started offering discounts/deals.
The Carwale site shows BMW Deutsche Motoren, Whitefield Bangalore offering 4.99 % interest rate among other benefits.
The offer being referred to is on the BMW site as well https://www.bmw.in/en/topics/special-offers.html.

You will see that the offer comes with the usual fine print at the bottom of the above mentioned page.
jfk1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 12:08   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk1975 View Post
It is a bit nuanced. If you are looking for M Sport, you could get 5 Lacs off the on-road price for 2020 stock and about 6 Lacs off the on-road price for late 2019 stock. This is assuming that your local dealer has 330i M Sport in stock. If you are going to get one ordered from the factory for whatever reason (color choice of preference, for example), then you are unlikely to get discounts.

If you are a bit flexible, in that price range, the biggest discounts going around are on 2019 3 GT BS-IV Diesels. They are knocking off almost 13 Lacs off of those. All the best.
I contacted BMW Kolkata and the sales person told me they have no discounts for the 330i (either variant ). BMW Delhi person straight away on the phone gave me 3.5 lakh discount without even asking ! I have never bought a car in my life so not sure how this works. Do I need to bargain like a fish market with the sales guy ? Are they not concerned for the dropping sales numbers due to the Corona situation ?
Can anyone help me with BMW Kolkata please? I'll deeply appreciate it.
Old 27th May 2020, 12:51   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambodara View Post
Do I need to bargain like a fish market with the sales guy ?
First thing would be to set your budget and plan accordingly, In my opinion anything in the range of 300k to 600k discount can be considered fair because the car/generation is fairly new.
Old 27th May 2020, 13:13   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambodara View Post
I contacted BMW Kolkata and the sales person told me they have no discounts for the 330i (either variant ). BMW Delhi person straight away on the phone gave me 3.5 lakh discount without even asking ! I have never bought a car in my life so not sure how this works. Do I need to bargain like a fish market with the sales guy ? Are they not concerned for the dropping sales numbers due to the Corona situation ?
Can anyone help me with BMW Kolkata please? I'll deeply appreciate it.
Depends if the dealer has the actual vehicle in stock. That makes them much more reasonable. I suspect Kolkata may not have any ready stock due the the BS change and COVID shutdown. Bangalore folks were readily giving 6L+ but March year-end could have been a prime impetus.

Keep at it and show them the money

Most Viewed