Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2020, 10:14   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW launches new, cheaper "Sport" variant of the 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
A quick question for the folks who are recommending continuing with RFTs, has anyone of you actually used a PS4S and then compared with RFT or just that you guys are satisfied with RFTs and don’t want to try anything else?
Good question! In my case, no, I have not tried PS4S and only sticking to RFTs. Thus, I definitely do not have the full spectrum of experiences and my comments are limited to what little I have experienced :-)

The reason though, is that in principle I like the idea of RFTs. My usage is mostly highway drives where I like the added peace of mind of the RFTs. Further, given the boot space that the space saver eats, I would like to have the option to go on some trips without the space saver (and I have done that when required in the past). In these cases, RFTs are a great help.

Therefore, my goal was to search for the best tyres within the gamut of RFTs, and I found Michelin ZPs. I am sure the PS4S are significantly better in performance, but for those who have similar constraints as mine, might like the Michelin ZP too as a good compromise.

BTW, on some new BMWs (did I see this on 330i? I don't remember which car exactly), now the OEM tyres are Micheline PS4 ZP! That is the runflat version of the same PS4 we all love. That would be the best of the both worlds!

Sadly, these PS4 ZP are not available in retail market yet. Even BMW dealers don't have these tyres for fitting on the cars. They just come with those tyres in the original kit. That is all. Further, these are not available in the size I need (225/50/R17) anyways. So yes, there are several constraints.

In summary, those with similar constraints as mine will like Micheline ZPs. Else I think PS4S seems like the best option, which unfortunately I have yet to experience :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
+1
I am happy with the ride quality of my 330i on stock RFTs
Great to hear that. Did your car come with the Michelin ZPs? Or are these the same Bridgestone RFTs that were common on all F30s?
Old 16th June 2020, 13:06   #62
Senior - BHPian

Are you guys sure that the new 3 series comes with Michelin ZP run flats on the sport variant? From the images i have seen and some videos on youtube, the sport variant comes with Bridgestone RFT's and only the top spec M sport comes with the Michelin ZP run flats. The michelins have got rave reviews all over the world and i have never experienced them, so they might be great set of tyres. Please try a the same spec car with Pilot sport tubeless and post your views, you would be surprised with the difference they make.

Every one loves the F30 ride on stock run flats because the suspension is set up on the softer side and it is the same reason why the rear bobs/pitches on undulations, unless you have experienced some thing better, i do not think any one can speak great of the stock Bridgestone RFT's. The only reason i would stick with them is for the safety aspect or if you drive late night on lonely highways.

I used Bridgestone RFT's on my F30 (pre lci) for 24k kms and was also extremely happy with the ride initially but changing later to Michelin pilot sport tubeless and using them for 8k kms now, you realise how much of a difference it makes. The rft's give sharp hits to both the ride and suspension, very noisy, wear out unevenly and even the braking performance is better with the pilot sport which grip like a leech, switching to Michelin's- it feels as if the car is just gliding over the road, there is zero harshness or road noise.

The same experience has been over my cousin's F30 LCI M sport we picked up pre owned 6 months back, had done 18k kms on stock 18 inch Bridgestone Potenza run flats. We switched to tubeless and the change in drive characteristics is dramatic. Even the dry grip of Michelin is light years ahead of Potenza rft's and no matter how hard i try, they never squeal and so silent on the road.

Personally, i have not seen anyone who has not been happy after switching to tubeless from run flats. For a new car owner, if one is not sure, it is better to let it be and use the same set of tyres for 18-20k kms. For aggressive drivers, these Bridgestone's wont last beyond 24-25k kms anyways.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 16th June 2020 at 13:09.
coolboy007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 16:28   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

My car came with Bridgestone RFTs and no issues with grip and comfort.
Looks like 2 different discussions happening here :
1. Are RFTs worse than regular tubeless?
My experience is no. RFTs are good.
2. Micheline ZPs and some other tyre patterns are better than Bridgestone RFTs?
I can't comment on this as I have not tried these other tyres.

I have been to Lansdowne and back on Bridgestone RFTs - through potholes of MP, UP, non existent road surfaces in some ghats in UT and nothing happened. Have done numerous NH drives to Mumbai, Ahmedabad at good speeds and didn't face any issues with grip. Urgent braking to allow dogs and cows to jump across and cross the road also worked as expected and car stopped without screeching. High speed flowing corners have been taken without losing any grip.

In fact, complete lack of drama - both from the chassis and the RFTs, can be unnerving

Last edited by anandpadhye : 16th June 2020 at 16:34.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 17:49   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I have been to Lansdowne and back on Bridgestone RFTs - through potholes of MP, UP, non existent road surfaces in some ghats in UT and nothing happened. Have done numerous NH drives to Mumbai, Ahmedabad at good speeds and didn't face any issues with grip. Urgent braking to allow dogs and cows to jump across and cross the road also worked as expected and car stopped without screeching. High speed flowing corners have been taken without losing any grip.
My experience was similar with Bridgestone RFTs. I did not have any issues with grip or braking. I was also happy with the ride quality. However, the one issue I had with Bridgestone Potenza RFTs was the excessive road noise. That was my primary reason for searching for alternatives. And Michelin ZPs solved that issue. They have significantly lower road noise while still offering the same grip and braking as Bridgestone RFTs.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 22:45   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep M View Post
Good move, but disappointed that they had the nerve to remove a simple and essential feature such as apple car play in a 41 lakh car.
I'm not too bothered about Apple Car Play as it does not integrate with your HUD, if your car has one. But dropping tyres size down, removing the basics of what makes a BMW great, i.e. sports seats, etc., is just plain catering to those who wants the brand and don't know too much about the machine.

18' rims with the right camber and toe with a 245 spread and a perfect caster angle, makes this chassis a dream to ride.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...factories.html (Coronavirus: BMW shuts European factories)

I thought our CKD kits came from South Africa of late. Those days of EU kits stopped a years ago. I could be wrong and will stand corrected, if so.

Last edited by ajmat : 20th June 2020 at 23:25.
Old 21st June 2020, 09:55   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
I thought our CKD kits came from South Africa of late. Those days of EU kits stopped a years ago. I could be wrong and will stand corrected, if so.
You may be correct, it’s a big plant

https://www.bmwgroup-werke.com/rosslyn/en.html

Over 85% of all BMW 3 Series vehicles produced at the Rosslyn plant are destined for BMW markets in the USA, Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Australia, Sub-Saharan Africa and Canad

Although this does not say India or exports of CKD Kits but might be true if they have excess capacities after producing built up. Manufacturing and shipping CKD kits is a specialized job and not all production plants maybe equipped.

Though they have limited numbers, going forward it maybe a good idea to allow configuring cars in India with Options.

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st June 2020 at 09:57.
Old 21st June 2020, 10:20   #67
BHPian

Quote:
You may be correct, it’s a big plant

Though they have limited numbers, going forward it maybe a good idea to allow configuring cars in India with Options.
From the very limited information I have, the last EU CKD kits came in 2013 or 2014. It stopped with the 328i which had complete EU specs. i.e. both ORVM have auto dim, windows and roof go up and down from the fob and no 'comfort access'.

Is India the only BMW market where we can't custom configure our rides?
Old 21st June 2020, 13:47   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From the very limited information I have, the last EU CKD kits came in 2013 or 2014. It stopped with the 328i which had complete EU specs. i.e. both ORVM have auto dim, windows and roof go up and down from the fob and no 'comfort access'.

Looks like the 330i is from BMW AG going by this recent VIN:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...ml#post4826043 (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN))
Old 21st June 2020, 13:57   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thanks for this, but I'm not able to see the factory mentioned anywhere. Am I reading something wrong?
Old 21st June 2020, 14:27   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this, but I'm not able to see the factory mentioned anywhere. Am I reading something wrong?
Hi Moontan, I'm a newbie but this is what I read:
http://wiki.bavariantechnic.com/inde...e=VIN_Decoding
Anything starting with W is Germany manufactured. Happy to be corrected!

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st June 2020 at 14:28.
Old 21st June 2020, 15:02   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi Moontan, I'm a newbie but this is what I read:
http://wiki.bavariantechnic.com/inde...e=VIN_Decoding
Anything starting with W is Germany manufactured. Happy to be corrected!
I am not sure if this is completely correct. BMW AG will be the company handling exports in all likelihood even in South Africa and USA besides Europe.

11th digit should be the country code but I can’t match it on my different X5 and 7 series. All begin with WBA though and on M4 it does begin with WBS. On one X5 it’s L which matches with USA but on the other it’s O and on 7 it’s D and on another it’s H.

Either way, it will not matter as it’s a fact that CKD quality is not same like CBU and currently BMW doesn’t get any of the 3 series as a built up unit. Sometime in past few years, they did imported a large lot of 3 and 5 series petrol when diesels were banned in NCR.

Quote:
From the very limited information I have, the last EU CKD kits came in 2013 or 2014. It stopped with the 328i which had complete EU specs. i.e. both ORVM have auto dim,
This is also not correct as I have a 740Li - CBU- Made in Germany and only driver gets auto dim.

Quote:
Don’t know, this is due to the duty structure in India that companies like BMW have to setup local plants but they don’t have enough numbers to produce variants or cars with options. If they can manage the production/ Logisitic challenges, it can give them an edge. I can pay extra for ventilated seats or an upgraded audio whereas another can pay extra for adaptive Dampers or sports seats.

Maybe they gets complete kits ready to assemble and they don’t get individual assemblies.

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st June 2020 at 15:13.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 16:18   #72
BHPian

Quote:

This is also not correct as I have a 740Li - CBU- Made in Germany and only driver gets auto dim.

All cars shipped to the US are CBU. US bound CBU cars, made to US spec, are also manufactured in Germany. The US does not have a BMW assembly plant. I say this because your dealer may have ordered or got a 'deal' on a US spec car and imported it to India. This would worry me as that car could have been sitting around for
while. India does not have safety specs for these cars other than the very rudimentary that they cracked decades ago. India bound CKD kits were all made in Germany and to EU spec till a few years ago when Rosslyn took over most manufacturing for APAC.

Again, this is what I've been told. I have no authoritative source to fall back on. So you may be right.
Old 21st June 2020, 16:38   #73
Team-BHP Support

^^^

Look here

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1547876

I think they removed this from 2017.

Quote:
I say this because your dealer may have ordered or got a 'deal' on a US spec car and imported it to India. This would worry me as that car could have been sitting around for
while.
You mean a car made to US spec that drives on the other side? USA does have manufacturing plant, most X SUV are manufactured in USA but no sedans. Yes, they won’t need a CKD assembly due to free trade with EU.

Don’t worry, my car was invoiced immediately on receipt in India, it was a special order for someone in BMW and gets a rear steering and Heads-up as well sports transmission with paddles despite being a non M variant. It gets exclusive leather as an optional extra but sadly no passenger side dimming mirror.

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st June 2020 at 16:50.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 21:39   #74
BHPian

Quote:
You mean a car made to US spec that drives on the other side? USA does have manufacturing plant, most X SUV are manufactured in USA but no sedans. Yes, they won’t need a CKD assembly due to free trade with EU.
No, my friend, that's not what I meant by US specs. Most APAC cars are manufactured in non EU regions to US specs. US specs involve a high level of customisation that keeps pumping the price up. EU specs are more defined and come with most, if not all (heated seats for one) when they were CKD'd and sent over to our land. A case in point being the N20 engines. EU specs had them at low compression, while high compression for the US resulting in several and very well publicised failures. All N20's here are low compression.

Again, this is what I've been told and learned in the years of owning a N20 block on a 328i.
Old 12th August 2020, 10:59   #75

Since the 330i Sport has been in the market for a few months now any ownership reviews or fresh opinion on M Sport vs Sport variant

Are discounts still available in Blore?

Most Viewed