Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2020, 07:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue gets 1.5L Diesel BS6 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
I wouldnt really be that confident.
While on paper this is certainly an upgrade over the 1. diesel, the 1.6 Creta is a beast.

The new 1.5 Seltos/Creta with 115 BHP cant even hold a candle to the 140 BHP Creta, there's fat chance that this de-tuned 1.5 with 100 BHP will.
Creta 1.6 diesel was 126 bhp; not 140 bhp. It is only the 2020 turbo petrol 1.4 that has 140 bhp.
padmrajravi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 11:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Surprising this is, they have not launched an AT - they could have mated the 6 Speed AT from the Seltos/Creta to this car and made available a Diesel Auto S variant at 9.99 lakhs - that would have been a compelling proposition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Good to see Hyundai upping the game but icing on cake would have been a Diesel AT!
+1 to this

Nexon XZA+ Diesel retails @ 12.5 & XUV 300 W8(O) AMT retails @ 12.69. Now with Venue SX (O) diesel @ 11.4 Lacs, Hyundai has 1.1 lacs buffer to launch the Venue diesel AT which will be superior to the AMTs.

Similar is the case with Ford - Ecosport S diesel retails @ 11.66, even @ 1.2 lacs premium for 6 speed AT they can price it @ 12.86 which is only 17K more than XUV300. A trend diesel AT @ 9.99 lacs will do wonders for Ford. They have the vehicle, engine and the transmission ready.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 12:33   #18
BHPian

Wow!!!!A sub-4m vehicle now costs 16+lakhs. Not long before it breaches the D1 pricing. Just do not any value in these cars any longer, Even with the current equipment list.
arunramaswamy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 13:23   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
+1 to this

Nexon XZA+ Diesel retails @ 12.5 & XUV 300 W8(O) AMT retails @ 12.69. Now with Venue SX (O) diesel @ 11.4 Lacs, Hyundai has 1.1 lacs buffer to launch the Venue diesel AT which will be superior to the AMTs.

Similar is the case with Ford - Ecosport S diesel retails @ 11.66, even @ 1.2 lacs premium for 6 speed AT they can price it @ 12.86 which is only 17K more than XUV300. A trend diesel AT @ 9.99 lacs will do wonders for Ford. They have the vehicle, engine and the transmission ready.
The reason why Hyundai is not launching AT may be because the 6-speed Auto box may have a capacity issue. Remember this box goes into the hugely popular Seltos and Creta Diesel Auto and also Hyundai has committed capacity to TATA to be supplied on the Harrier AT (Also expected to be a hot seller). So all of a sudden, this has become the "National Transmission" and probably they are reserving capacity for the models where they can make maximum profit (typical Hyundai!)

On your other point regarding the Ecosport, Ford's hands are tied. They do not have an appropriate transmission to mate to the DV5 Diesel engine. If they did, they would have launched it years ago. They are not also smart or agile enough to find collaborators (like Hyundai) to source transmission from and launch an AT, like TATA did with Harrier AT with transmission sourced from Hyundai.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 14:19   #20
BHPian

Is it the same Seltos, Creta engine but detuned?

Seriously hate this thinking of Indian automakers to not provide serious power till you hit the D2 segment.
Old 20th March 2020, 16:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
it the same Seltos, Creta engine but detuned?

Seriously hate this thinking of Indian automakers to not provide serious power till you hit the D2 segment.
Yes, it's the same engine.
I think 100hp is good enough for a car like Venue and it also comes with a 120hp turbo petrol engine so I don't think there is any dearth of power in this segment.
Old 20th March 2020, 16:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Is it the same Seltos, Creta engine but detuned?

Not exactly. The Seltos/Creta has the 1.5L block with a VGT. This one makes do with FGT.
Old 20th March 2020, 17:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reason why Hyundai is not launching AT may be because the 6-speed Auto box may have a capacity issue. Remember this box goes into the hugely popular Seltos and Creta Diesel Auto and also Hyundai has committed capacity to TATA to be supplied on the Harrier AT (Also expected to be a hot seller). So all of a sudden, this has become the "National Transmission" and probably they are reserving capacity for the models where they can make maximum profit (typical Hyundai!)
I presume that the transmission to be used on the Harrier, is the one which is being used on the Tucson and not the one on Creta.

The one on the Creta is rated for 230–265 N⋅m.
Whereas the one on the Tucson can handle a lot more than that.
abhishek46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 22:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Because the segment itself is very competitive with each car having it's own strengths.
XUV300 - Excellent to drive, Safest in class, good interiors.
EcoSport - best steering & handling
Venue - Punchy 1.0petrol, now punchy diesel, high quality interiors.
Nexon - Truly VFM, Safety, comfortable ride.
Brezza - Good diesel engine (now gone) & Maruti peace of mind. So, currently other than resale value, Maruti's service & parts availability what else is the Brezza's USP?
Quote:
Brezza's interiors are slightly inferior but others cars are right up there, same thing with features as well,
Brezza's interiors are not slightly, but hugely inferior to the competition. The interiors & features provided in the Brezza do not belong in car that costs 12+ Lacs on road (Zxi MT). I'm not even mentioning the auto since it's way too overpriced. Even the Nexons interiors look like they're from a higher segment compared to the brezza.
Quote:
while the Venue hasn't even been tested. While other 3 have done very well
Venue has 4 stars from the Australian Ncap. Although safety is something we can't speculate on, maybe we can expect 3 stars for the venue in the GNCAP.
Quote:
Coming to the most important part, no matter how good the cabin of Venue is, It's no where close to Brezza in terms of Comfort, Space
Wow! Have you seen the outdated interiors of the Brezza. I strongly suggest you take a drive of both cars back to back. Yes the venue has less space than the brezza at the rear, but it's is still of much higher quality and it is comfortable.
Quote:
so comfort takes priority here and Hyundai's have never been ahead in this department.
My i20 rear seats are not spacious while many claim them to be, in reality after experiencing Baleno and Jazz, the i20 just feels terrible
Sounds like you have a bias against Hyundai. You're right to say the i20 has less space than its competitors, but I have found the i20 rear to provide good under thigh support during long drives.
Quote:
Whichever way you look at it, the Nexon, XUV3OO, Brezza are much more rounded and superior to Venue in each and every way.
Again, disagree with you when you, the brezza petrol is not a superior product than the venue. Only in rear seat space the Brezza is better. The Venue even has a bigger boot than the brezza! (350 L Vs 328 L).
Quote:
I am sure the Venue will face the heat once Maruti launches that fantastic Diesel engine sometime later this year.
I agree with you on this one.
Old 21st March 2020, 00:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
Yes, it's the same engine.
I think 100hp is good enough for a car like Venue and it also comes with a 120hp turbo petrol engine so I don't think there is any dearth of power in this segment.
Sorry I didn't phrase it well, I was bemoaning the lack of power in the Seltos / Creta segment. Going from the excellent 1.6 crdi 126 bhp engine on the Verna to the Seltos definitely has me wanting more.

I will definitely be getting an engine remap as soon as I can
Stribog is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 01:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I didn't phrase it well, I was bemoaning the lack of power in the Seltos / Creta segment. Going from the excellent 1.6 crdi 126 bhp engine on the Verna to the Seltos definitely has me wanting more.
I absolutely agree with you on this.
The current one cannot match the explosive 1.6l engine.
Hyundai/Kia are just after promoting their turbo series of engines!
Old 21st March 2020, 03:40   #27
BHPian

Nice to know that Venue will be getting 1.5L diesel engine.
The 1.4L CRDI was good enough in i20, while the Venue needed a bit more power.

Venue already had good interiors, good A.S.S, features, engine options. But, if only they had managed to get a diesel AT now, it would have been icing on the cake.

So, assuming other contenders will also be getting BS6 diesel few months down the lane (say Brezza with 1.5 DDIS and XUV300 and WRV upgrading their diesel engines to BS6).
That will make all sub 4m SUVs with same engine size !

For diesel engines, let's say:
Venue : 1.5L with 100 bhp
Nexon : 1.5L with 110 bhp
Brezza : 1.5L with 94 bhp
XUV300 : 1.5L with 115 bhp
WRV : 1.5L with 100 bhp
EcoSport : 1.5L with 100 bhp

So that brings a norm of 1.5L engine with around 100 bhp, for the segment. So a good headache for buyers to choose from, interms of engine. With XUV topping the charts with 115bhp.

Each of the contenders has their own set of strengths and weakness. So the user will obviously choose, what suits them better.
Only if Venue and EcoSport had attempted to bring a diesel AT as part of BS6, then it would have been a different game altogether.

PS:
If anyone has the updated price list of Venue (Bangalore) onroad, can you please share it here?
Thank you

Last edited by DLC5005 : 21st March 2020 at 04:00.
Old 21st March 2020, 10:19   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post

So, assuming other contenders will also be getting BS6 diesel few months down the lane (say Brezza with 1.5 DDIS and XUV300 and WRV upgrading their diesel engines to BS6).
That will make all sub 4m SUVs with same engine
Maruti will not be bringing the 1.5 DDiS anytime soon. There are technical challenges to upgrading this engine, it was not designed with SCR or other emission reduction techniques in mind. They will need to find a collaborator to source an appropriate engine from or stay out of the game entirely.
Old 21st March 2020, 10:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti will not be bringing the 1.5 DDiS anytime soon. There are technical challenges to upgrading this engine, it was not designed with SCR or other emission reduction techniques in mind. They will need to find a collaborator to source an appropriate engine from or stay out of the game entirely.
Ok, I was assuming Maruti would surely find some way to get back into competition with diesel engines.

Around half the sales from Maruti stable were from the legendary 1.3 diesel engine.
With the Fiat discontinuing 1.3 engine, expected Maruti to gear up n come up with its own BS6 diesel engine.

So does it mean, Maruti will be out of game in diesel segment longer than expected?
Old 21st March 2020, 11:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post
Ok, I was assuming Maruti would surely find some way to get back into competition with diesel engines....
Slightly off topic here, but Maruti had a golden chance to upgrade 1.3 ddis to bs6 and create IP in the process.
They could have earned a healthy sum in royalty for bs6 tech and fiat could continue laughing itself to the bank with 1.3 multijet platform.
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed