Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2020, 12:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maharashtra could restrict petrol, diesel supply to citizens

According to a media report, the Maharashtra government could restrict the supply of petrol and diesel to its citizens to keep them indoors during the lockdown.

Maharashtra could restrict petrol, diesel supply to citizens-bsvigradefuel.jpg

It has been reported that the distribution of fuel will not be curbed. Only those providing essential services will get regular supply of fuel, while the rest will get a few litres, so as to not cause any inconvenience.

These measures are already in place in Pune and Nagpur and could be extended to other parts of the state, if people keep neglecting the lockdown orders and keep loitering around for no reason.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 25th March 2020 at 12:10.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 12:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maharashtra could restrict petrol, diesel supply to citizens

The more time passes, more is this lockdown taking shades of the demonetisation fiasco. Different media outlets are carrying conflicting information, there is lack of clarity and panic on the ground and goalposts seem to be shifting. When the PM himself made it clear that all essential services will remain open, we have this piece of news. Whether this is usual media sensationalism or there is some truth behind it, only time will tell. But what seems coming through is that actual tactics haven’t been fully thought out and administrations are making plans on the go.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 13:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The more time passes, more is this lockdown taking shades of the demonetisation fiasco. Different media outlets are carrying conflicting information, there is lack of clarity and panic on the ground and goalposts seem to be shifting. When the PM himself made it clear that all essential services will remain open, we have this piece of news. Whether this is usual media sensationalism or there is some truth behind it, only time will tell. But what seems coming through is that actual tactics haven’t been fully thought out and administrations are making plans on the go.
We are adapting on the go. There can be no real plan for such a large populous country with such diversity. But the good point is that there is community outreach thanks to social media. For example BigBasket, etc. were called for a meeting by commissioner of police in Pune today (during curfew) to work something out to enable those services. All will get sorted out as per need.
ohaak is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 13:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
actual tactics haven't been fully thought out and administrations are making plans on the go.
I hope you will appreciate that not all things can be planned & implemented, especially those needing 3rd party support.

Administration is simply asking one thing - Stay at home, isolate yourself, don't go out and invite the virus to your home - but are people understanding this message? I don't think so.

I just read a post in some other thread where in a member said "I will clean my vehicle, take it out for a spin, and survey what shops are open"! In these times, why does someone need to "survey"?

If restricting fuel to common people makes them stay at home, implement it by all means.
Safety is Param is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 13:50   #5
BHPian

May be slightly off topic but I feel there should be some restrictions on the TV news channels and media houses to stop sensationalizing and distorting any facts and cause panic among public. Play some good movies on these news channels for a few days. I'll prefer that over same old facts being repeated throughout the day.

Ps: I see people are stepping out more out of curiosity after viewing news reports and to kill their boredom. Hence I made the above statement of playing some movie instead of news on news channels.

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 25th March 2020 at 13:53.
Storm2.0 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 14:24   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
May be slightly off topic but I feel there should be some restrictions on the TV news channels and media houses to stop sensationalizing and distorting any facts and cause panic among public. Play some good movies on these news channels for a few days. I'll prefer that over same old facts being repeated throughout the day.

Ps: I see people are stepping out more out of curiosity after viewing news reports and to kill their boredom. Hence I made the above statement of playing some movie instead of news on news channels.
Restrictions on media channels might not happen now, instead we should stick only to the reliable news sources(be it their website, FB or Twitter handles, etc) like:

1) Press Information Bureau of India

2) Doordarshan

3) World Health Organization

All other channels should be used for entertainment purposes.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 16:40   #7
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Restrictions on media channels might not happen now, instead we should stick only to the reliable news sources(be it their website, FB or Twitter handles, etc) like:

1) Press Information Bureau of India

2) Doordarshan

3) World Health Organization

All other channels should be used for entertainment purposes.
To add to this list, for reading news online:
1. Reuters India website
2. Corona virus global live updates - Guardian Live Blog
3. Global Business News - Bloomberg

Side note: Avoid sensationalist news channels and noisy debates. Certain Hindi news channels in particular are known to distort facts to make news more sensational, Zee News is the worst when it comes to this.

Last edited by manson : 27th March 2020 at 10:29. Reason: Deleted blank rows.
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 10:28   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Pumps told to only serve "essential vehicles"

Quote:
The government officials have approached petrol pump owners in Mumbai and asked them to serve mainly essential and emergency service vehicles, sources said. A pump owner said that though there was a directive to issue petrol and diesel to only essential vehicles/workers at the pumps, it would be difficult to identify who is essential and who is not.
Source
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 11:42   #9
BHPian

Wholeheartedly support this move.

We have enough police and municipal vehicles to carry out "surveillance".

Add to that, lack of fuel availability will also curb the unnecessary trips people would seem to make in the name of essential goods shopping. This will also release the burden over cops to deal with unruly ones on multiple wheels.

Hope the authorities iron out all the issues with food/essential supplies delivery men.

On another note, these 21 days are going to make us realise how much we take our freedom and amenities for granted.
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 12:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The more time passes, more is this lockdown taking shades of the demonetisation fiasco.
Possibly worse since demonetization was handled only by one entity, Central Govt. For COVID-19, along with Central Govt there are State Govts, then District Magistrate, and village panchayat who can make their own rules in their jurisdiction. So the rules will vary by region to region.

Last edited by msdivy : 26th March 2020 at 12:13.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 13:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Whats the alternative? Create a Europe like scenario? It has taken thousands of deaths for people there to finally realise the importance of “stay at home”. This is to be treated like a War time situation. Lets thank ourselves that our infrastructure is all intact.
Old 26th March 2020, 13:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I hope you will appreciate that not all things can be planned & implemented, especially those needing 3rd party support.
If restricting fuel to common people makes them stay at home, implement it by all means.
People in the government are paid to plan and implement such things - I am not buying this excuse, sorry. If it was a corporate environment, such failures to plan and implement will result in dismissal (but apparently failures such as the Boeing Max were considered normal - may be the corporate world has learnt from the government bureaucrats).

I hope you will ask your friends in the government to ensure all channels are free on DTH - they could use that windfall from fuel excess charges to fund this! This will ensure people don't hog the bandwidth with OTT services and allow people to work at home with a speedy internet. And of course, it will ensure we are locked on to the entertainment channels - opium of the masses!

Quote:
...actual tactics haven’t been fully thought out and administrations are making plans on the go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
... For example BigBasket, etc. were called for a meeting by commissioner of police...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Play some good movies on these news channels for ...
This is because of the "us" vs "them" attitude that our government officials have. We have seen this in the implementation of road rules, penalties, ... you name it.

Do the police have to be told to allow the likes of BigBasket? Why? I am unable to fathom their way of thinking; but may be the Madiwala vegetable market is a clue - this market is just on the wall of the police quarters and other police offices in Madiwala - probably all that the top officials have to do is ask their peons to go get vegetables, problem solved.

Yes, about entertainment at home - why not allow everyone to watch all the DTH channels for free - funded by the excise hike of course!

Last edited by Sheel : 26th March 2020 at 14:30. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 14:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
People in the government are paid to plan and implement such things - I am not buying this excuse, sorry.
Nobody is selling you anything either!

Government has clearly said that the only option ALL of us have to survive this is to STAY AT HOME - no matter what - STAY AT HOME, maintain Social Distancing.

Now, how is government going to implement this? With people's support, right? What if people still want to step outside for any reason that doesn't qualify as an emergency?

So, yes, restrict fuel supply. Make people stay inside their houses.

If situation worsens, call the Army and let them handle this.

If you so much feel that the government is incompetent and its decisions are unfriendly, better work your way up the ladder and reach a stage where your opinion counts!

Because the government is not discriminating based on who voted for them. My friends in the government are as much working to save you & your family as any other citizen of this country.

It's a question of life and death, and people are still crying here about their morning walks!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 26th March 2020 at 14:26.
Safety is Param is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 14:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Do the police have to be told to allow the likes of BigBasket? Why? I am unable to fathom their way of thinking; but may be the Madiwala vegetable market is a clue - this market is just on the wall of the police quarters and other police offices in Madiwala - probably all that the top officials have to do is ask their peons to go get vegetables, problem solved.
People lack discipline. Seen the videos of people attaching fake milk cans to their two wheelers so that they don't get disturbed? Seen the attitude of people on the streets who don't like their personal freedom being impaired? Traffic signals in Pune when the signal doesn't work. "It doesn't matter if I can't move, he shouldn't move. I am entitled to go first. " These same people will fight and riot if the pandemic spreads and hospital facilities are overcrowded. I don't see a problem in blanket full stop and opening up essential traffic. It isn't easy policing an unruly bunch. Only the salaried middle class are used to taking orders. The rest don't care and only respond to fear.
ohaak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 16:07   #15
BHPian

This is the most absurd thing I have seen to come out of this whole Coronavirus fiasco. Like really? Does this genius government have that much ambulances with such a punctual staff that if there happens to be a medical emergency in the family like heart attack, will people call the ambulance or prefer to take the patient themselves to the hospital? Wow. This is simply buffoon level of thinking from the government.

On top of that, they will keep delivering "small amounts" of oil to everyone still. So what's the point then!

A 100% lock-down could be implemented without such jokes, afterall, Jammu-Kashmir was in lock-down for a long time too, even without coronavirus.
Dr.Mechanic is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed