Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2020, 16:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is a Petrol CVT suitable for driving on steep hills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaanSingh View Post
Thanks, that's what I thought should be the case - as CVTs, in theory should drive in a more optimised RPM+Torque state of tune as compared to the same engine with manual gearbox.

Also +1 for not losing precious time\momentum when clutch is presses\depressed and gears shifted.

Not too worried about fuel efficiency, as these will be occasional trips in my case.
You're welcome. One small correction though. I found City, A-Star and Scorpio ATs better uphill than their MT counterparts. As for Outlander, there is only one variant in India, AT. They never sold MT Outlander in India. So, no comparison with MT variant. BTW, Outlander was very good in hills. May be 2.4 litre engine did the trick.
Old 12th April 2020, 11:22   #32
BHPian

Sir, I'm not a qualified engineer but I would say, going uphill requires more torque than power. I believe Diesel engines justify the purpose. You can very well get a Turbo charged petrol engine but again straining the engine block to get more torque just kills the engine sooner.
Coming to the part about automatics, why do you want to go for CVT! I drive a '16 City, CVT transmission. Coming to the basics, a tiny belt turns the drive shaft. Not mechanical gears. Gears are anyday better than Belts and pulleys. I have personally faced difficulty while driving around hills. No doubt the car performs well but not as good as manual counter parts!
My suggestion would be to get a decent Diesel AT or Torque converter and avoid DCT or CVT. Since DCT is yet to be proven to be reliable on the long run and CVT just does the everyday job easy just like those CVT scooters. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12th April 2020, 11:34   #33
VVN
BHPian

Have a City CVT. Drove it to Ooty and did not face any issues during the climb. 4 of us with decent amount of luggage. Apart from the usual rubber band effect (slightly more during inclines), it seemed effortless.
Old 12th April 2020, 12:05   #34
BHPian

Hi I have an amaze diesel cvt which has a very narrow power band revs to only 4000rpm, how would it fare.
terra85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 12:07   #35
BHPian

I am not sure how urgent you need to make this decision but if I was in your place, I will do the following:
a. rent a zoomcar/ any rental that offer Seltos (I doubt this) but Creta is available(again not sure of the new models which have the same engine spec's and seltos) and take it to hills.
b. drive to shimla/rishikesh and take a test drive of the cvt from the local dealers. If kia isn't present, I will get the creta cvt and see how that performs.
sunnsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 14:13   #36
BHPian

Sorry if this is a bit unrelated to the topic, but I wanted to understand the CVT behavior when going downhill, especially cars like Baleno CVT that don't have any of the Manual gear control options that some Hyundais etc. seem to have, the + - on the gear lever I mean.

How do CVTs handle engine braking downhill? And in a Baleno CVT for example, how would you try and manipulate the engine braking with changes in the road steepness?
Old 12th April 2020, 14:25   #37
BHPian

Anyone drove Yaris CVT on inclines? How does it fare?
Old 12th April 2020, 14:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Sir, I'm not a qualified engineer but I would say, going uphill requires more torque than power. I believe Diesel engines justify the purpose. You can very well get a Turbo charged petrol engine but again straining the engine block to get more torque just kills the engine sooner.
Coming to the part about automatics, why do you want to go for CVT! I drive a '16 City, CVT transmission. Coming to the basics, a tiny belt turns the drive shaft. Not mechanical gears. Gears are anyday better than Belts and pulleys. I have personally faced difficulty while driving around hills. No doubt the car performs well but not as good as manual counter parts!
My suggestion would be to get a decent Diesel AT or Torque converter and avoid DCT or CVT. Since DCT is yet to be proven to be reliable on the long run and CVT just does the everyday job easy just like those CVT scooters. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
Seltos CVT meets most of my requirements, like looks, budget, convenience etc. as it will be driven by other people in the family also at times within the city.

Just wanted to discuss how will it fare on the hills on occasional trips.
Old 12th April 2020, 15:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
Hi I have an amaze diesel cvt which has a very narrow power band revs to only 4000rpm, how would it fare.
This is strange. I have never driven a diesel car. What happens when you push the pedal beyond 4k rpm? Does fuel supply get cutoff?
Old 12th April 2020, 15:53   #40
BHPian

It hits the redline around 4300 I think doesn't rev further, diesels also have turbo lag which to an extent is negated in the CVT , I guess non turbocharged vehicle's are easier to manage.
Old 12th April 2020, 15:58   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Sorry if this is a bit unrelated to the topic, but I wanted to understand the CVT behavior when going downhill, especially cars like Baleno CVT that don't have any of the Manual gear control options that some Hyundais etc. seem to have, the + - on the gear lever I mean. How do CVTs handle engine braking downhill? And in a Baleno CVT for example, how would you try and manipulate the engine braking with changes in the road steepness?
While driving downhill (or steep uphill) in a Baleno CVT, you need to shift to "L" mode:

Is a Petrol CVT suitable for driving on steep hills?-155288.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 12th April 2020 at 16:00.
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 17:24   #42
BHPian

I've driven my Outlander extensively in the mountains without an issue. I would use the paddle shifters at times while going uphill to avoid gear up-shifts, and always on manual when going downhill. Never faced any issues and the brakes were going strong even at 65k.
However, with a car that does not have the option to go manual, I suspect one might struggle to stay in the right band at times and would likely be very dependant on brakes on the downhill parts.
GauravTaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 17:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Main concern is it should not stall or roll-back on hills as that will be a saftey concern.
This should not be of a grave concern unless you shift to N whenever you halt because of incoming traffic. The solution is, you do not remove your leg from brake pedal and hold on to it till you want to drive and remain in D. I do not recollect using N in my CVT Civic till date (only once when the alternator went kaput), it's really no use when you drive. Same applies for Incline drives. Hope this info boosts your confidence on reliable CVT, they are far better than the AMT. In the scenario I described, AMT will let the cars roll back for sure.
spoth001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 19:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

First of all thank you to Team-BHP for accepting me as a member of our great community!

This is my first post and wanted some guidance on buying Seltos IVT Petrol.
This CSUV or cross-over (whatever is the best description) meets all my budget and travel requirements (mostly city) and would be a good match for my next upgrade.

I just have one doubt though, can it climb steep hills like Shimla, Rishikesh etc. for some weekend trips with 5 family members and luggage?
I mean can CVT\IVT chain\belt provide enough torque without belt-slip or wheel-spin over the years?
Or is it prone to this flaw sooner or later due to Physics involved ?

My current car is Hyundai Accent 2010 Petrol and I did not find it to be good on mountains. Specially after stopping due to oncoming traffic and then trying to go up again (lack of torque mainly and wheel-spin if I use high RPM)

Thanks,
MaanSingh

In my experience, you need torque not high revs in any incline situation, specially mountains. Rishikesh tough is very mild. Driven there in a 800 in the 80's & 90's without breaking a sweat

My son has driven my Creta Diesel in the hills in Uttrakhand & Himachal, Never EVER had a problem. my Creta is a 1.6 MT

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 12th April 2020 at 19:46.
Old 12th April 2020, 20:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra85 View Post
Since it's a diesel, I don't feel there would be any issues. Infact that diesel from Honda has almost 0 turbo lag in the low end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks