Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2021, 07:23   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Expecting 50K-1Lakh premium over regular CRETA variants. Sad about people who have just bought petrol SUVs in the segment.
Don't think it will have such a narrow price margin. If you are thinking on the same lines as Harrier and Safari pricing, this is a different scenario here. Harrier itself was overpriced for what it offered (Not that Creta is vfm, but Creta is a mammoth success) and therefore Tata had to play carefully with Safari.

Only other petrol SUV in the segment is Hector. I am pretty sure the owners are very happy for their purchase. The car delivers space,comfort, practicality, and features splendidly. I also feel it's way better built than the Korean Creta twins (can't judge the alcazar right now)
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 07:42   #257
Senior - BHPian

re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Nice job Hyundai! 2.0L motor will be having crazy power to weight ratio by SUV standards, 0-100 less than 10s says that.

Lighter than TUCSON by nearly 400KG, performance and efficiency will be similar to Elantra
I dont think the Tucson weight is between 1650-1750kg. The Creta itself is between 1250-1362kg. The difference would be about 200-250kg tops, and the Alcazar would be heavier by around the same margin I guess- so almost equal to the Tucson. But the petrol engine has been tweaked by just a wee bit from 152 to 156 ps.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 08:32   #258
BANNED

From looking at what all is on offer, a good 1.5 to 2 lac price difference will be there, at least for petrol trims.

My experience with 2.0 Nu: Driven this motor quite a bit in Elantra (Very creamy motor I must accept), and I must accept that this engine is actually the best balance between the performance and fuel efficiency, the FE it offers is better than Skoda TSi and Honda i-VTEC both, and I am talking this based on the real world driving experience. The low end is good (BTW, I haven't seen a single Hyundai petrol with poor low end like i-VTEC), mid range is decent, and top end - well, it's a medium bore VVT petrol
  • Low end is good, driveability is bound to be good - it is a 2.0l motor
  • 160 ps means fun is there on the tap, the 1.4 turbo may have a lot to like, but remember that the 2.0 Nu is going to carry you at 140 kph on an expressway, while still delivering the better FE than the turbocharged petrol motor, turbo petrols love drinking fuel after all. I will any day and every day pick this against -600 cc turbo petrol, specially if I have to drive a manual - the big petrol motors offer exception fun with a manual gearbox in fact.
  • No DCT means higher reliability, the well tried and tested 2.0 petrol with TC is indeed the combo to go for

So, as compared to 1.5l NA Petrol, this is not just Creta+2, it is a proper upper segment car altogether with a similar appearance. Once the engine is upgraded so well, the entire vehicle gets upgraded; I being an engine guy, a better engine in itself is everything for me. A good engine means all other features just become gimmicks, nothing can entertain you better than a good engine after all.

Coming to diesel:
Now this one is for fuel economy conscious in case of Alcazar. Will offer just adequate performance and good FE. Diesel always has the torque advantage, and same will go with this one too. The biggest pain for a driver is inclines and stop-go traffic, if the low end is well tuned, I don't see anything wrong with diesel too. We had older Innova churning out 105 bhp and 200 nm of torque, the only advantage Innova had was of displacement. Now if Hyundai can tune the low end better, this one will be adequate enough to live with.

But yes, with 2.0 Nu petrol, I guess that there will be a very narrow price gap between the petrol and the diesel now. This part interests me more now!

Looking at entire spec sheet, I repeat my words again:
"If priced well, Hyundai is going to cause disruption with this product. They have a winner in hand - in every manner"

So well thought out and so well rounded products get launched once in a few years. Alcazar has something for everyone:
  • 7 seats + small boot - Check (Safari has no boot, so is Hector+)
  • 5 seats + big boot - Check
  • 4 Captain seats - Check
  • Hyundai peace of mind - Check (forget the few reported cases, still better than Tata or MG)
  • Performing petrol - Check
  • Efficient Diesel - Check
  • Long list of features - Check
  • Class leading fit and finish - Check (That's Hyundai's forte)

If you are standing on a Hyundai dealership floor with 22-23 lac in account, you just say what you need - Hyundai will offer in Creta or Alcazar, just don't talk about safety ratings though

Last edited by VKumar : 7th April 2021 at 08:44.
VKumar is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 08:47   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

My experience with 2.0 Nu: Driven this motor quite a bit in Elantra (Very creamy motor I must accept), and I must accept that this engine is actually the best balance between the performance and fuel efficiency, the FE it offers is better than Skoda TSi and Honda i-VTEC both, and I am talking this based on the real world driving experience. The low end is good (BTW, I haven't seen a single Hyundai petrol with poor low end like i-VTEC), mid range is decent, and top end - well, it's a medium bore VVT petrol
  • Low end is good, driveability is bound to be good - it is a 2.0l motor
  • 160 ps means fun is there on the tap, the 1.4 turbo may have a lot to like, but remember that the 2.0 Nu is going to carry you at 140 kph on an expressway, while still delivering the better FE than the turbocharged petrol motor, turbo petrols love drinking fuel after all. I will any day and every day pick this against -600 cc turbo petrol, specially if I have to drive a manual - the big petrol motors offer exception fun with a manual gearbox in fact.
  • No DCT means higher reliability, the well tried and tested 2.0 petrol with TC is indeed the combo to go for

So, as compared to 1.5l NA Petrol, this is not just Creta+2, it is a proper upper segment car altogether with a similar appearance. Once the engine is upgraded so well, the entire vehicle gets upgraded; I being an engine guy, a better engine in itself is everything for me. A good engine means all other features just become gimmicks, nothing can entertain you better than a good engine after all.
This is just the perspective I was searching for on the petrol engine. Thank you so much. I hope the Elantra you are referring to was automatic and not manual?

What kind of in city fuel efficiency have you seen the 2.0 automatic deliver in the Elantra please? I would assume the Alcazar being a little heavier and therefore will give a little lower than that.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 09:32   #260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
This is just the perspective I was searching for on the petrol engine. Thank you so much. I hope the Elantra you are referring to was automatic and not manual?
I have a manual Elantra in my circle, in fact the car was bought after my suggestion only. Additionally, one more friend from another forum (Allhyundaicars @ TheautomotiveIndia) also has an Elantra, he too had a long discussion with me before going for it, and he is also happy with the decision.

Coming to automatic Elantra: I have driven the new model - the one that looks weird; for around 200 kms, like any other Hyundai or Toyota - it's a conservative gearbox. so don't expect it to offer blasting performance (Still will go faster than most of the things under 25 lac), but it will offer decent FE and last really long.

The thing is, when you have a 2.0l petrol motor, the inherent power of the motor itself is enough to make you feel good about it. I belong to another school of thought, while everyone praises diesels - I am against these small displacement diesels. They got good starting torque, but if you are in third cog at 1200 rpm in a diesel, press the accelerator and the response is zilch! You need to keep them above 1600-1700 rpm always if you want immediate response from engine, while for a good petrol, all you need to do is just make it move, and then you can cover entire route at 1500 rpm itself, and it responds at any rev too. So, I am a high displacement guy.

Quote:
What kind of in city fuel efficiency have you seen the 2.0 automatic deliver in the Elantra please? I would assume the Alcazar being a little heavier and therefore will give a little lower than that.
I have seen the following figures in an Elantra petrol myself, that too multiple times:
Calm or light footed driving:
City: 8-9 kpl
Highway: 16-17 kpl (trust me man, this engine delivers)

Heavy footed driving:
City: 6-7 kpl
Highway: 11-12 kpl

Here City means moderate to dense traffic. And the heavy footed driving FE is what actually impressed me. this car delivers 11-12 kpl in the kind of driving where I have never seen the Civic, or Laura (1.18 lac kms ownership experience) deliver even 9-10 kpl. If you are driving with a light foot or even moderate foot with short shifting, this engine delivers the FE that is well comparable to any 1.5l motor. I tell you man, there are very few motors which pack both, serious performance as well as decent FE, based on what you demand - this is one of them.

See, low end of 2.0 is not like a diesel, but it is a 2.0l motor, the inherent power and torque is more than enough, it's just say exactly before it starts moving, that when you feel a bit of nervousness, but as the wheel starts moving, its decent. Normally, having a bigger and more powerful motor delivers better FE as well as better driving comfort in heavier cars as compared to small but underpowered ones.

Alcazar will definitely deliver lower FE than Elantra, especially on highways - aerodynamics. Best example: City Vs BR-V FE. Their FE is literally poles apart

Drive it - to believe it!

Last edited by VKumar : 7th April 2021 at 09:34.
VKumar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 11:42   #261
BHPian

0-100 in less than 10 sec. Wow . Who cares about fuel efficiency with such performance.

This looks like a game changer product. Will definitely shake up the SUV as well as the premium MUV segment. This will definitely take sales away from Innova/Hector/Safari etc.

Only fly in the ointment could be a perception of ( or actual ) poor safety. Also hope the rear suspension is not bouncy when lightly loaded.
Old 7th April 2021, 11:58   #262
BHPian

Sid Patankar feels that the Alcazar will be a premium offering:
https://twitter.com/sidpatankar/stat...48234217590793
Old 7th April 2021, 12:15   #263
BHPian

Any news on the Alcazar getting 360 degree camera or front parking sensors?
Old 7th April 2021, 12:25   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthmadhava View Post
- My mother's first question on seeing the car, when we went to hometown, was to show the boot. She has a question for Hyundai - why don't you reduce the huge bonnet size and add that to the boot?
So Hyundai has bigger engines planned under that 'huge' bonnet for the 'Creta family' of cars.

2L NA Petrol:
  • +Largest NA petrol offering in the segment.
  • +Great power and good torque ratings. Will be a Fast motor. 0->100 in less than 10 Sec.
  • +MT and AT at launch.
  • +NVH is going to be very good, mostly class leading in a segment dominated by Diesels.
  • -Large NA petrol will mostly lack the 'punch' and fuel efficiency of 2.0 L Turbo Diesels from FCA and Mahindra.

1.5L VGT Diesel:
  • -Adequate performance. Smallest Diesel engine in the 7 seater segment.
  • +MT and AT at launch.
  • +NVH will be as better than other diesel counterparts.
  • +Better fuel efficiency in lower load scenarios.
  • -Strictly for the fuel-efficiency conscious.

While we are waiting for tougher competition to enter the Mid-SUV segment and disrupt the Korean monopoly, Hyundai is planning an offensive at a segment higher for another cash grab.
Alcazar will come with 7 seats, longer wheelbase, more engine-transmission options and all the segment first kind of features of Creta and some more.

And I do not expect them to price it much lower than Harrier-Safari twins:
  • May be a lakh lower than respective Safari variant because its 2.0L Petrol and not a 2.0L Diesel. Harrier is going to be in a bit of a spot here.
  • Hyundai is never going to price it too close to Creta and Tata's pricing has given them a wide range to play with.
  • Hyundai might place the 2L Petrol top end at a lakh below Safari top end.
  • Naturally, they are going to price 1.5L D same as their petrol offering since its a smaller motor, which ends up giving them insane margins and numbers for that smallest diesel in town
  • More number of variants and engine options gives Hyundai a large playing field (price-range). This might eat in to Creta/Seltos as well.
  • Only thing that might make Hyundai go a bit conservative in pricing at launch is the presence of Harrier-Safari twins with great 2L Diesels in a competent package wrapped in great looks and road presence.
  • If Alcazar can pull of the 'Road presence' part of Safari design, Hyundai might go all out for an even-more-premium positioning.

Quirky looks of Creta seem to have gone well with masses, and it does grow on you. Sales charts are on fire for Creta, some dealers having reportedly sold off even their display/test-drive cars because of the huge demand.

We are waiting for competition in the market against any particular OEM's monopoly. Its true for dominance of Creta-Seltos, Innova, Fortuner etc.
But unfortunately, none turns up with earnest disruptive efforts to give that well rounded alternative. While we are still waiting for Skoda's Kushaq to be properly unveiled, Hyundai will most probably start deliveries of Alcazar before June (April end launch confirmed?). Mahindra has still not decided at a launch window for upcoming XUV 500. Market research by Hyundai is outstanding. Time to market is breath taking. Koreans are on a product launch onslaught and are eating up segments. If there is sales in a segment with good margin, they have something planned in that segment. Hopefully, the product is durable and safe.

Q1. Since Hyundai is able to add a 2L Petrol motor under the hood, is it technically possible to add the 2L Diesel within it too (or the turbo needs more space)? Is Hyundai holding off the diesel motor as Tucson's USP?

Q2. On a related note, if Hyundai is not able to scale up Creta production to meet demands, how will they allocate capacity for Alcazar?

Last edited by srikanthmadhava : 7th April 2021 at 12:30.
srikanthmadhava is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 12:26   #265
Senior - BHPian

Is there any link for the global launch today? What are the timings?

I am surprised that a simple search does not throw up any links. I would have expected just the opposite!

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 7th April 2021, 12:52   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Advance safety; no elephants this time around, eh?!

Attachment 2141594
This body shell image shows some members on the roof. Does it mean the Alcazar will not have a panoramic sunroof, or any sun roof at all? That would be a dampener if being positioned as a premium offering.
Bh.P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 12:55   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
As per SVP’a twitter post, this is more of a camouflaged preview akin to the one done by Skoda. Also, for sure they’ll be under embargo as usually is the case with such media events.

Usually Sirish, from evo shares a lot of stories on his insta handles. However, that is not the case today.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 12:58   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post

I am surprised that a simple search does not throw up any links. I would have expected just the opposite!
Media drives (car will be camouflaged) have begun, but no cameras/mobiles are allowed. Embargo ends on 9th April.

Edit: Looks like there is a global debut today.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th April 2021 at 13:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 13:13   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
These 7 seaters remind me of cars like the Swift being slapped on with a boot to make the Swift Dzire
While internally I agree that there are compromises, I am pleasantly surprised to see that the integrations have been done in a way that is very good looking on the outside - the most recent example being the Safari.

However as you mentioned though they are seven seaters on paper, some compromise between luggage space and capacity would have to be made to carry full capacity. One other thing I like is that the third row in the new offering are not just an excuse but surprisingly usable unlike third row offering of yore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Hyundai Alcazar Specifications :

The Hyundai Alcazar will get an extended rear overhang and 2760 mm wheelbase.
Hyundai Alcazar gets a larger 2-litre 156bhp petrol engine which gets 6-speed manual & automatic (no DCT). Diesel is the 1.5 with VGT puts out 115bhp and gets a 6-speed auto option
This is a naturally aspirated unit right? I would have thought Hyundai would have taken the chance to introduce a GDI unit especially since the Germans are going to town with the 2.0 TSI. But it's good to see that a 6 speed manual is still on offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Media drives (car will be camouflaged) have begun, but no cameras/mobiles are allowed. Embargo ends on 9th April.
Bummer! Anyway will wait from the tidbits from the drives today.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 14:11   #270
Senior - BHPian

Alcazar seem to have a sweet, well proportioned side profile. I will not be surprised if this is amongst the spacious car in segment. While the 1.5L diesel might lack outright punch of Safari/Hector plus, FE will be a big draw for many. If Hyundai prices well, Tata/MG should be worried, XUV500 will only make it worse.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks