Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2021, 21:55   #451
BHPian

re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

As someone closely associated & running the operations of one of the Hyundai Authorised dealership, I know for the fact that Hyundai made one stupid move i.e they have allocated the 'Signature' variant of Alcazar only for premium dealership formats (i.e to the bigger dealers who do more numbers with more outlets, majority of them have presence in metropolitans only). The smaller dealers would be able to sell Platinum & Prestige variants only. In my opinion, this is something that would confuse potential buyers, causing inconvenience. After all, it's one variant of the same vehicle which is being sold through different dealership. Just for the everybody's information, Elantra and Tucson are also not sold officially through smaller dealers.
Attached Thumbnails
7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-img_20210610_215710.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 11th June 2021 at 06:50. Reason: Typo
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 23:20   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha_Ch View Post
I know for the fact that Hyundai made one stupid move i.e they have allocated the 'Signature' variant of Alcazar only for premium dealership formats (i.e to the bigger dealers who do more numbers with more outlets, majority of them have presence in metropolitans only). The smaller dealers would be able to sell Platinum & Prestige variants only. After all, it's one variant of the same vehicle which is being sold through different dealership. Just for the everybody's information, Elantra and Tucson is also not sold officially through smaller dealers.
Wow , this is something new, didn’t know Hyundai would stoop so low!

Quote:
In my opinion, this is something that would confuse potential buyers, causing inconvenience.
A potential customer would go to another dealer, no confusion there. But the smaller dealer won’t make the same amount of money that the bigger dealer will get by selling the top-end variant! That’s pretty unfair for a smaller dealership.

Hyundai has anyways made the blunder of not providing a 7 seater in the top-end automatic guise.

If Hyundai really wants to sell their supposedly premium cars through bigger dealerships then why not just follow a similar path like Maruti’s Arena and Nexa dealers, why separate one particular variant of one car depending on the dealerships.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 10th June 2021 at 23:23.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 23:33   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
A potential customer would go to another dealer, no confusion there. But the smaller dealer won’t make the same amount of money that the bigger dealer will get by selling the top-end variant! That’s pretty unfair for a smaller dealership.
At some places, a potential customer have to travel over 200Kms to get access to bigger dealerships. Also, smaller dealers won't always loose the deal, in this case they usually order the vehicles from bigger dealerships and things work on margin sharing etc.(which is usually the way followed in the case of Tucson or Elantra). But then, at the end of the day its too much of a hassle and creates confusion for the customers.

Quote:
If Hyundai really wants to sell their supposedly premium cars through bigger dealerships then why not just follow a similar path like Maruti’s Arena and Nexa dealers, why separate one particular variant of one car depending on the dealerships.
Exactly my thoughts, for example Ertiga and XL6 are still different brands and XL6 does have lot of different elements to really stand apart.

Last edited by Aniruddha_Ch : 10th June 2021 at 23:34.
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 10:45   #454
BHPian

Although Car is a strong contender to bring volumes, unavailability of 7 seater AT petrol version and more powerful diesel engine is something which will be missed dearly.

What is the justification of launching a car with no 7 seater petrol AT option? Personally I would alway go for 7 seater version of the car which offers more flexibility of carrying one extra passenger and I am sure there are many customer who think like me.

Also if you compare Tucson, below are the numbers as per Carwale (exShowroom Bangalore)
Tucson GLS 2L Petrol AT - 24,25,000
Tucson GLS 2L Diesel AT - 25,96,000

Price difference is only 1.7L. I am sure it was not difficult for Hyundai to launch 7 seater diesel AT version with ~1.8L lakh premium on 2L petrol AT version. I would have still sold in good numbers.

Sometimes I feel manufacturers underestimate their own products!
SourPai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 10:53   #455
BHPian

This is now like the reservation/class system of the automotive world!
The upper class shouldn't be bothered to mix with the lesser lower class.

Currently the Nexa cars are also sold through the MS Arena dealerships (I got one) since their reach is more than Nexa's!

This is how the customer will be when enquiring for the Alcazar and being provided two different showrooms for the same car!
(translated: are both these different?)

Name:  Screenshot 20210611 at 10.51.06 AM.png
Views: 4828
Size:  524.9 KB
RavSam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 11:13   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
So, there is no 7 seater option for petrol AT? That is blasphemy. Or do they think the petrol AT is not powerful enough to pull that one extra person?
Could it be due to fuel economy reasons?. The 2.0L petrol will be a guzzler and Automatic + additional seating capacity will only make it worse in real world conditions - Hyundai may be trying to sidestep negative perception from the public once customers start reporting real fuel economy values after purchase.

The 1.5L diesel I think will be "just enough" for hauling 7 persons + luggage. The same engine is good on lighter cars such as the Verna which are only required to carry less passengers, with lesser kerb weight also. XUV5OO and Hector+ have advantage when it comes to diesel engine.

Things could get tougher for Alcazar once Suzuki finally brings the 1.5L DDiS in the XL6 at a lower price bracket.
Old 11th June 2021, 11:13   #457
BHPian

Quote:
One lower from top-end variant will also get a sunroof, as seen here fabric seats with panoramic sunroof.

Roof has been carved out over the 3rd row to provide more headroom.

Attachment 2166189

https://Youtu.be/JW0NzotZA2Y
The middle seat looks REALLY narrow in the 6S variant. Is that so?

If not, then I feel the 6S is well looked after with the features aforementioned. Quite a nice sight to see an armrest of this sort in such a car. Hyundai has been consistent in their homework when it comes to giving what the customer wants.

Coming to the way it looks, LOTS has been fixed from the Creta. Even if for a second i managed to digest either ends, the side profile of the Creta would blow it off for me.

The low set taillamps and the inconsistence in flowing and parallel lines have all been fixed in the Alcazar. I think it's gonna work, and wonders so. I don't expect pricing to be an issue since Hyundai is releasing it into a predominant segment, and their homework looks good.

7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-hyundai_creta_suv_gallery_pc_1120x600_8.jpg

7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-hyundaialcazarlaunch.jpeg

An example would be how in the Creta, the line slopes downwards and distorted with the overhang after the quarter glass, whilst the Alcazar flows parallel. The length of the Alcazar has also imparted proportion of sorts. It's these small things that add up IMO

Last edited by Arnav612 : 11th June 2021 at 11:16.
Old 11th June 2021, 11:21   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...they have allocated the 'Signature' variant of Alcazar only for premium dealership formats (i.e to the bigger dealers
Quote:
At some places, a potential customer have to travel over 200Kms to get access to bigger dealerships. Also, smaller dealers won't always loose the deal, in this case they usually order the vehicles from bigger dealerships and things work on margin sharing etc.
Such a relief that Hyundai has thought a solution that they have created in the first place!

Imagine a customer walks into a dealership, completes TD, reviews the brochure and decides to book the 'Signature' variant. That's when the SA asks him to step out, drive another 200 kms and buy the car some place else.

The only reason I can think of having such a structure is to reduce capex load of smaller dealers. The smaller dealers wouldn't have to keep TD cars nor carry stocks/sale targets of these expensive models.

Quote:
Hyundai has anyways made the blunder of not providing a 7 seater in the top-end automatic guise.
Earlier, everyone complained Hyundai didn't offer AT options in the top end SX(O) variants. Took few years but Hyundai fixed it. This should also be fixed some day.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 11:26   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I think the 2.0 NA petrol engine will be a bit of a trick up their sleeve. I am sure this will perform better in terms of linear smooth power delivery in real-world than the turbo engines from Mahindra and MG.
I am sorry but Mahindra's 2.0 L Mstallion kicks a$$. It hurls the 1800Kg Thar Petrol AT from 0 to 100 in under 10 Seconds and its in LOWER state of tune!

Other than that Alcazar seems like an good option in its 2.0 NA Petrol AT guise. But in no way it can hold a candle to XUV7OO with 2.0 Mstallion in 190HP state of tune in terms of performance!

Last edited by buntee90 : 11th June 2021 at 11:29. Reason: typo
buntee90 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 11:35   #460
BHPian

Quote:
As someone closely associated & running the operations of one of the Hyundai Authorised dealership, I know for the fact that Hyundai made one stupid move i.e they have allocated the 'Signature' variant of Alcazar only for premium dealership formats (i.e to the bigger dealers who do more numbers with more outlets, majority of them have presence in metropolitans only). The smaller dealers would be able to sell Platinum & Prestige variants only. In my opinion, this is something that would confuse potential buyers, causing inconvenience. After all, it's one variant of the same vehicle which is being sold through different dealership. Just for the everybody's information, Elantra and Tucson are also not sold officially through smaller dealers.

I don't understand why and how this is supposed to work. Models sold separately makes sense by a premium counterpart dealership. But why just one variant?

Note that the smaller dealerships with already low reach can lose sales even further. And wherein travelling is concerned, most people I know are ready to travel to stockyards for delivery, so I don't think going to another showroom altogether is a problem if it's worth getting the variant you want. On the flip side Hyundai should be working towards popularising all their showrooms instead of catering to select ones.
Old 11th June 2021, 11:45   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPai View Post
Also if you compare Tucson, below are the numbers as per Carwale (exShowroom Bangalore)
Tucson GLS 2L Petrol AT - 24,25,000
Tucson GLS 2L Diesel AT - 25,96,000

Price difference is only 1.7L. I am sure it was not difficult for Hyundai to launch 7 seater diesel AT version with ~1.8L lakh premium on 2L petrol AT version. I would have still sold in good numbers.

Sometimes I feel manufacturers underestimate their own products!
Apt comparison would be the Elantra since it gets the same 2L NA petrol and 1.5L diesel that the Alcazar will be getting.

Ex-showroom prices
Elantra 2.0L petrol SX(O) AT - 20,10,000
Elantra 1.5L diesel SX(O) AT - 21,12,000

For the Tucson 1.7Lakh premium for the Diesel is justifiable considering it’s performance but the same can’t be said about the 1.5L diesel. Max I guess Hyundai can charge a premium of 75k-1L for diesel over the petrol.

Elantra has a difference of 1.02Lakh between the petrol and diesel. And I have a feeling that the top-end Alcazar will have a very similar ex-showroom price as the auto SX(O)’s of the Elantra.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 11th June 2021 at 11:47.
Old 11th June 2021, 12:33   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The timing isn't a coincidence = it is perfectly timed. Hyundai is telling you that instead of buying a 5-seater Skoda Octavia (which is being unveiled as I type this), why don't you instead buy our 7-seater SUV at a lower price.
Exactly, Hyundai's Maruti's knows better how to do business, they sense the nerve before launching products, they prepare better portfolio of variants to be going on sale and they price them sensibly too. Also, they hold their territory, not like Skoda leaving a territory(which they ruled) vacant to be taken over by pricing Octavia in a different segment. No doubt Alcazar is going to be a success for Hyundai again.

Meanwhile, Skoda/VW are busy deciding the pricing for their SUV which will rival Creta/Seltos, Hyundai is working on a Creta facelift. Here comes Kushaq and boom Hyundai says buy our upgraded Creta.

--straight from the heart of a VAG fan
Old 11th June 2021, 12:39   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Apt comparison would be the Elantra since it gets the same 2L NA petrol and 1.5L diesel that the Alcazar will be getting.

For the Tucson 1.7Lakh premium for the Diesel is justifiable considering it’s performance but the same can’t be said about the 1.5L diesel. Max I guess Hyundai can charge a premium of 75k-1L for diesel over the petrol.
Ohh! I am not trying to justify the premium of diesel 1.5L vs Petrol 2.0. I am in-fact aligned to what you are saying.

My point was that they should have launched Diesel 2.0 with premium of 1.8L over their confirmed Petrol 2.0. One argument was that offering diesel 2.0 would make Alcazar very expensive. Tucson price difference just shows that it is actually not the case!

Diesel 2.0 AT with 7 seater would have been my choice and it would have been for many other folks also. Premium of ~1.8L for that variant is totally justified. Opportunity lost I must say.
SourPai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 14:04   #464
BHPian

An Illogical move, imo. Hyundai seems to be implying that small town residents cannot afford the top spec Alcazar, but still making the lower variants available to them. Anybody considering the Alcazar is ready to spend 20-25l, but if he/she's not given the option of a top end version at all, he/she will definitely be miffed. Why let go of potential sales? And what does Hyundai have to lose by making the top model available in tier 2/3 cities?
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 14:28   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPai View Post
Diesel 2.0 AT with 7 seater would have been my choice and it would have been for many other folks also. Premium of ~1.8L for that variant is totally justified. Opportunity lost I must say.
Well said, I also want any 7 Seater Diesel Automatic with a Punchy engine. Alcazar disappointed so many people. Waiting for test-drive vehicles as well as the details about all the variants. 18th June isn't so far.
rpmmachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks