Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2021, 15:26   #661
BHPian

Re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Will Hyundai offer different choice of colour for the interior or only the Cognac colour?
Old 19th June 2021, 15:59   #662
BHPian

Re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Hyundai has updated their Mobis website with official accessories for Alcazar, those interested can visit the site.

https://hyundaimobisin.com/products/...sories/alcazar
Old 19th June 2021, 16:21   #663
BHPian

So basically a 4 seater creta taking on all the boys in the segment. I wouldn't call this a Safari/Hector plus rival. You can consider it more a Harrier/Hector rival. But the Alcazar will happily take on all 4 of them. Frankly I was really bummed at the 1.5 litre diesel mill and even gave my frank opinion on the same a couple of days back.
But then I went back and lamented on this vehicle's dimensions and what it really offers aside from the marketing hype.

I'll pick the 6 seater variant for this discussion because that's the the one with all the bling.

So let's say a typical family of 5 are going for a vacation in a Creta, average weight per person is 80 Kgs, and they all bring luggage worth 20Kgs, so that's (5×80)+(5×20) = 500 Kgs.

Now the Alcazar comes in weighing a "hefty" 80 kgs more than the Creta, but targeted at a family of 4 looking to travel in a lot more comfort, so let's keep the same weight ratio, however this family decides to carry more luggage to attend more parties at their destination so they carry 25 kgs of luggage each, so now we are at (80×4)+(25×4) + 80(extra weight compared to creta) = 500 kgs.
Let's assume some day you decide to use all your 6 seats and put two kids in the back seat, so now it's moving 6 people albeit now the luggage carrying capacity is greatly reduced, so it kind of balances out. Unless you install a roof carrier which let's face it not many people would do.

That in a nutshell is whom I think the Alcazar will really appeal too, if one looks at it just as a people mover, unfortunately it might pale in comparison to its rivals, however if one sees it as a luxury 4 person mover then well with all the bling on offer (Ventilated sets, 360 camera, centre console for the middle row etc ) it turns out there is no real competition at all.

And with the above calculation for reference, turns out in most scenarios the alcazar will run about town just as the Creta/Seltos do. But I do understand it's bad marketing, nobody wants to believe that they just spent 23-24 big ones on a puny 1.5 Litre engine, and for that you have the 2 litre petrol. And let's face it with the price difference between the two being basically nil, people who buy the petrol mill will be those who genuinely want a petrol car, unlike other times when some of us buy a petrol car simply because it's 2 Lacs cheaper than the diesel counterpart.

Hope the above analysis makes sense to some of the prospective buyers.

Thanks,
Armaan

Last edited by armaan_singh : 19th June 2021 at 16:25.
armaan_singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 17:20   #664
Senior - BHPian

Today i have checked Alcazar again to check the space with all 3 rows up in a 7 seater.
All my earlier observations are right even in 7 seater. My parents felt the interior space is moderate in the 2nd row seats even compare to Fiat Linea and complained about seat cushioning size as well, not referring to the soft or hard cushioning. 3 Adults can't be seated along each other in the second row comfortably.
Apart from all rave features, it will not be practically suitable for people who plan to buy a car for 6 members + luggage space.
Finally I have cancelled the booking of Alcazar and awaiting delivery of Tata Safari XZA+ Adventure Persona 7 seater.
aks_karthik is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 17:33   #665
Distinguished - BHPian

1.5L CRDI Alcazar review. I know he is not the best reviewer, but till media embargo ends will have to suffice on this.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
How does this YouTube channel get to post their review of the Alcazar? I thought that the embargo was till 25th June.
He has taken the car for reviewing from a dealership and not Hyundai’s media fleet, so if dealerships have started test-drives anyone can post their review on it.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 19th June 2021 at 17:37.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 17:34   #666
BHPian

How does this YouTube channel get to post their review of the Alcazar? I thought that the embargo was till 25th June.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th June 2021 at 18:00. Reason: YouTube link shared above.
Marauder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 19:31   #667
BHPian

A 6-7 seater is not a mass market car in India for now. Either you have a large family to tow or you are in the travel industry. So in my understanding Hyundai has positioned the Alcazar to be premium family car and excluded the travel industry by going ahead with such a pricing and a standard panaromic sunroof for eg. thereby negating any roof mounting carriers for extra luggage.

As pointed out and what I experienced while physically checking out the Alcazar, the 3rd row is namesake for adults and I wonder how can manufacturers claim something to be a 6 or 7 seater when actually its hardly usable for adults with avg dimensions.

I think its going down the same route like the overpriced new i20 which is no longer enjoying the kind of sales numbers it used to have in the past.
purb_du is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 19:53   #668
AKB
BHPian

I had pre-booked an Alcazar in the hope of getting an early delivery. Today went to see the car in real life.

One word - Disappointed. This is a personal state of mind since I am 185cm tall and was looking for a vehicle which can seat me well and also let me family sit well in the second row of the seat.

My observations:

1. Car looks great from outside. The front 2/3rd of the car are best. The last 1/3rd look like MUV. This is in contrast to how Safari looks
2. If the driver's seat is pushed back all the way, the second row seat has space equal to an A320 Indigo seat, just enough but nothing more than that. This may not be concerning for some, but it was for me
3. The third row of the seats is unusable. Only way third row is usable is if first row and second row are on the 'front most' slide setting. Even in that case it is best for children younger than 10 years
4. I felt claustrophobic in the cabin. This may be a function of my size but in general buyers should not expect a roomy feeling. The feeling is same as one gets while sitting in a City/Creta
5. The bells and whistles are great. But the core of a car for me are (1) Engine (2) Space (3) Design - Internal and External. All three are important to be addressed. Space failed for me on Alcazar

My current cars provide me better solution:

1. My Ciaz provides unparalleled rear seat comfort and space (for its price). I wanted to upgrade my Ciaz to Alcazar since Ciaz is grossly underpowered. But with Alcazar the space for second row will go down
2. My other car Baleno CVT is equal to Alacazar in space. So no gain on that front.

In summary, I am disappointed that my excitement has evaporated . 4.5 M is just not enough for the vehicle.

I am sure Alcazar will sell well. but it is not for me. I will cancel my booking

Last edited by Sheel : 21st June 2021 at 18:54. Reason: Minor typo.
AKB is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 20:56   #669
BHPian

Here are my observations after having a look at the Alcazar:

1. The car looks much better from the rear than the Creta! Though I hated the rear look of the Creta before, the rear design is slowly growing into me!

2. The interiors definitely felt premium and looks like an expensive luxury vehicle inside!

3. While I felt the first row and second row comfortable, then here comes the spoilsport, which is the third row! To be honest, I felt the third row in the Alcazar poor in terms of space and the under-thigh support in the third row is nowhere close to the Innova even after pushing the middle seat to the maximum and the vehicle, which I sat was a 7 seater one! In fact, I felt its cheaper sibling, i.e, the Creta, felt better than the Alcazar in terms of comfort! It might be weird to compare a 5-seater car with a 7-seater car, but one has to accept the truth!

After having compared the third row of the Alcazar with the Innova, I felt the Innova still better in terms of the comfort in the third row and no people mover vehicle can beat the Innova in terms of third-row comfort and under-thigh support, period!

The Alcazar is a good vehicle, no doubt, but what I felt is, if Hyundai could've focused much on the third-row comfort instead of giving a huge set of features and plonked in a 2.0 Diesel of Tucson over 1.5 Diesel engine of Creta, it would've been a winner and can make the Safari and the Innova Crysta run for its money and we could have bought this one as the replacement for our Innova with eyes closed!

In my POV, instead of spending 24L on this one, which the third-row isn't comfortable, I feel its better to go for the Innova Crysta GX AT if the third-row comfort or 7-seater is a necessity and costs the same as Alcazar Signature(O) AT and in fact, its cheaper than the Alcazar top version by just a few thousands of rupees and will have peace of mind as well, being a Toyota!

If 7-seater is not a necessity, then I would recommend going for it's cheaper sibling, i.e, the Creta, which felt better than the Alcazar in terms of rear-seat comfort and though the Creta runs on the same Diesel engine as the Alcazar, the Creta will be more eager to drive, thanks to it's less weight, which is 80 Kgs lighter than the Alcazar! And, the Creta SX(O) AT is cheaper by 3L than its sibling as well!

The only advantage of the Alcazar apart from the huge list of features is the fuel efficiency, which gives much better than the Crysta!

No wonder, the Alcazar will sell well, thanks to the Hyundai brand! But, I've realized that it is not a worthy upgrade from the Innova, which the third-row seat comfort is still the best!

Now, waiting for the TD of the Alcazar Diesel AT, which will be arrived in another few days as per the sales guy!
car_guy1998 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 23:47   #670
BHPian

Hyundai vehicles are becoming pricey nowadays!!
Nothing new and exciting. For me Alcazar looks like a longer Creta.
I would prefer Tata Safari over Alcazar for the proper SUV feel and better diesel engine.
But when it comes to petrol engine the Alcazar would be an obvious choice.
Ranjith812 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 00:08   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Here are my observations after having a look at the Alcazar:

no people mover vehicle can beat the Innova in terms of third-row comfort and under-thigh support, period!
Marazzo has more space in the third row than the Innova.

Quote:

The only advantage of the Alcazar apart from the huge list of features is the fuel efficiency, which gives much better than the Crysta!
Alcazar will be much more polished and refined than the Crysta. Crysta has just about average NVH. Hyundai cars shine in NVH. Also Crysta at 4.73 meter may be just too long for many. Alcazar at 4.5m is just perfect for our crowded cities. For manual variants the Crysta's cultch is pretty cumbersome. Hyundai makes one of the lightest clutches in the industry.
JediKnight is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 12:42   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Hyundai makes one of the lightest clutches in the industry.
Agree with this part, but not for too long. There are horror stories of Hyundai clutches going kaput in a few thousand kms!! And I am not even talking about the Diesel cars; even the Petrol vehicles clutches go bad. Saying this cause I’m a victim of this issue and numerous other ‘Hyundai niggles’.

I would rather be OK with a slightly heavier clutch which will serve me for atleast a lac KMS then a lighter one going bad at say half of that!

The failures / niggles seen in a Toyota vehicle, especially the Innova is relatively lesser compared to a Hyundai.
ashvek3141 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 13:36   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Agree with this part, but not for too long. There are horror stories of Hyundai clutches going kaput in a few thousand kms!!

I would rather be OK with a slightly heavier clutch which will serve me for atleast a lac KMS then a lighter one going bad at say half of that!
I'd be surprised if any car in India can last for one lac km without a clutch overhaul. Our traffic and road conditions are such. I mean you can stretch by few thousand km on hard clutch but in my personal experience of car ownership in last 13 yrs, the best life I could get was 30-35k km before taking a call to go for overhaul rather than living with hard clutch or worst-- getting stranded by total failure. I am referring to Bangalore traffic.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 20th June 2021 at 13:37.
Old 20th June 2021, 14:36   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I'd be surprised if any car in India can last for one lac km without a clutch overhaul.
My 2011 MS Swift ZDi, 114k KMS on odo is running on a factory clutch. Apart from regular maintenance which is done at the annual service; never ever has been the gearbox opened.
I can still say that it is surely good for another 10-15k kms minimum.

As a matter of fact, my Creta’s clutch became terribly hard @ 45k kms, and this being a Petrol Creta. I got it replaced soon after.

There are numerous stories on a dedicated thread of Hyundai’s poor quality. Again, I am referring specifically to the Hyundai cars. If Hyundai doesn’t give a crap about the pathetic braking of the 1st gen Creta considering it to be a safety aspect; I wonder what else is improved by Hyundai in last 5-6 years!
ashvek3141 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 14:52   #675
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I'd be surprised if any car in India can last for one lac km without a clutch overhaul.

I am referring to Bangalore traffic.
~ 145k kms on the stock clutch, and 55k kms on the first replacement going strong - that has been my experience with my non-Hyundai diesel car so far! And yes, Bangalore.

Hyundai has the softest clutch action, but definitely the most number of complaints from BHPians on premature clutch failures too. You can see some of those complaints compiled in this post.

For a Hyundai to be used in heavy traffic - I'd simply pick the AT (Torque converter AT, to be specific) as a no-brainer considering clutch replacement is not covered under warranty.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (21) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed