Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2021, 21:08   #706
BHPian

Re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket03 View Post
of upgrading from a previous generation Innova.

In simple words, this car is in my eyes, a competitor for Maruti Ertiga, XL6, Marrazo etc. Even though it is priced similar to XUV 500, Hector, Innova etc, it is nowhere in these cars' league, except in terms of equipment on offer.

At it's price point, at least in my case, buying a MT 7 Seater GX Crysta makes more sense. I have a tendency to extract the most out of cars at this price point and thus in the long run, 2 lakh rupees price difference does not make a difference.
You are absolutely right. In fact I am surprised that you say you want to upgrade from an Innova and are considering the Alcazar which is definitely a downgrade. Just because it has 7 seats and a pano sunroof doesn't mean it is a contender even.

As has been inferenced by many BHPians from time immemorial who own Innova's and who want to upgrade. 'The only upgrade to an Innova is another Innova (the Crysta)'
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 23:37   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Found one interesting picture of the 1st Gen Creta next to an Alcazar.

7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-6af6103f7353445d982ccfbabaaf91f5.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 00:10   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

Attachment 2169892
This is astonishing to say the least that a car(The Creta), that too the previous generation of the current vehicle from which Alcazar is derived, has much more road presence than the derivative(Alcazar) which is considered longer, wider and "more spacious"(really? The 3rd row is spacious?).

Also, I cannot wrap my head around the awkward rear design language of the Alcazar, which on one end reminds of the Endy, and at the same time gives me the MS Brezza vibe.

Futhermore, I still cannot fathom how Hyundai aims to rival it against the bigger and more powerful cars(read diesel variant) such as Hector and Harrier. Not stating Marazzo or XL6 as the Alcazar prices shift north towards the aforementioned, half a segment higher, cars.
Moto_Bear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 02:16   #709
BHPian

Hope all are doing well, I am posting after a long time.

The one company which seems to be directly benefitting from Hyundai's new pricing strategy is TML.

Be it Altroz, Harrier, or Safari. I think Tata played smartly with pricing and has forced Hyundai to raise the bar in pricing, because in pursuit of becoming luxury brand and not being seen as a peer to Tata, Hyundai is forced to raise the prices and is playing on features and its perception on reliability and quality. And, in this this game though it is able to provide all the gizmos but is found lacking in the essentials department like Space and Engine Power in the 6-7 seater diesel version of Alcazar.

I haven't seen Alcazar in person but from the pricing, diesel engine specs and the space point of view it seems it has left people wanting for more.
Now a potential buyer who is looking for 5 seater and occasional 7 seater will cross shop between Alcazar and other options like Safari, Hector plus, XUV 5OO, and Crysta and will leave Hyundai showroom without looking at Creta at a first glance.

Humans tend to want for more if they see their favorite company not offering a product as per the perception created. Its a love and hate story with the most loved/favorite brand. Earlier (before Alcazar) potential buyer would have sacrificed 2 seats and directly bought Creta and would have pushed the 7 seater purchase to another 4-5 years.

Now the story is different, this will either push Creta sales further or effect both Creta and Alcazar sales.

Next 2-3 months (once the Covid situation improves) will be interesting to see the numbers of Creta, Alcazar, Safari, Hector plus and Crysta. It may also benefit XUV as it may pull some sales from Hyundai.

Take care all.

-PK

Last edited by pk_del : 23rd June 2021 at 02:21.
pk_del is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:07   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
I have clearly mentioned the criteria is solely based on Third row comfort.
3rd row of Alcazar may not be good but I see strong bias against Tata whereby it is put behind even Ertiga and Triber both of them having far less space than Safari. Even Marazzo barely manages to get same space as Safari. Simply because it is Tata, it does not become bad.
abhijet.sen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:10   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

Attachment 2169892
Cars are parked in tilted condition and camera is near to Creta. This is not a good picture to actually compare rather I say people are being tricked to see Creta as bigger than Alcazar. If locations of both the cars are swapped and angle of photo is kept exactly what it is now, it will make Alcazar look much bigger.
abhijet.sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:24   #712
Distinguished - BHPian

New Gen Creta Vs. Alcazar!

7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-e4yi3emxoaa85bo.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:38   #713
BHPian

I finally confirmed the same model which I had pre-booked - Petrol AT 6 seater. Like I mentioned in this thread couple of days back, limited 3rd row space continues to be a problem. But my other observation of cabin not being airy were put to rest after I made a second visit to the showroom and spent more time in the display car.

Making the buy call was a tricky one. Parents, wife and kids loved the car. They do not mind the 3rd row space limitations and asked me to focus on driver seat + drivability and leave rest of the decision to them. Point taken.

Sales person mentioned the delivery will happen in about 10 days. Clock starts now.

I was looking for 6/7 seater since last year. Pre-booked the Safari on Feb 4th and cancelled the booking on Feb 23rd after its prices were announced. And now I was going through similar decision points with Alcazar. Confusion in decision making process get amplified due to multiple factors. For example, Safari lacks boot space, not a great infotainment system, diesel only option and the risk of Tata dealership experience. Alcazar does not have any of these problems but has its own share of other challenges.

Going through the expert reviews was extremely helpful but also confusing. On a lighter note, reviews reminded me of a short story that someone at work told me - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chicken_and_the_Pig

All said and done, I felt it is a good choice to make. This will be my first AT car. My first 6 seater vehicle. First >90 bhp. First with sunroof. First with ventilated seats. And many other firsts.

Will post detailed pics and review of the car in couple of weeks from now.
vkivaturi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:10   #714
BHPian

I am awaiting the review on this forum and then will take a call to convert my booking into purchase. Dealer is not yet sure about when will they get test drive vehicles!

I did check the display car though and while the 3rd row is just for kids, overall but feature wise it sure is loaded to the gills. Another consideration is on longer drives with luggage packed in it will just be a 4 seater car for a family of 5!
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:04   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotil View Post
Another consideration is on longer drives with luggage packed in it will just be a 4 seater car for a family of 5!
You will be better off with Creta if Hyundai is your preferred choice. Otherwise Seltos, Hector and Harrier can also be considered.

Any of these options will be cheaper than equivalent 7 seater. Folding of seats is are largely not required (at least for seating in the rear seats though you might fold them if boot space is required to be extended).

You have much better managed and bigger boot space without needing to fold the seats.
abhijet.sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:19   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijet.sen View Post
You will be better off with Creta if Hyundai is your preferred choice. Otherwise Seltos, Hector and Harrier can also be considered.
Not a preferred choice really. Upgrade to a 7 seater is a key consideration and hence I was waiting for Alcazar, looks like now I will have to wait for XUV700 or pay a visit to Toyota to check out Innova Crysta.
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:29   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotil View Post
Not a preferred choice really. Upgrade to a 7 seater is a key consideration and hence I was waiting for Alcazar, looks like now I will have to wait for XUV700 or pay a visit to Toyota to check out Innova Crysta.
If money is not a consideration, Kia Carnival has loads of space even more than Innova. However, space in Safari as well as MG Hector Plus is not bad only tad lower than Innova Crysta and both come at significant price difference against Innova.

As far as family of 5, prefer a 7 seater layout over 6 seater. 7 seaters option usually has drop down table in middle seat, which is not their in 6 seater. Although you will miss out in captain seats. But captains seats in these cars don't have big enough hand supports.
Old 24th June 2021, 09:59   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
There are 5 specific things that make XL6 / Ertiga have probably the best 3rd row seats
Would suggest everyone to try traveling in the 3rd row of XL6 once before buying other 6/7 seaters. At least you will know what you are going to miss
Exactly. Whenever I took test drive of a new/old Hexa, Marazzo, Safari, Innova, and recently even Carnival - the person providing the test drive said this without fail:

"See how comfortable the third row seat is - UNLIKE Ertiga!"

So I thought it's only me who finds Ertiga third seat comfortable.

Now... If only Ertiga had a better safety rating.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 11:54   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Now... If only Ertiga had a better safety rating.
Another severe shortcoming of the Ertiga/XL6 twins is super poor sound insulation. You hear everything inside and once you get to highway speeds the road/wind noise is excessive. Maruti is cleverly cutting costs in places which are not visible to the eye.
Old 24th June 2021, 22:13   #720
BHPian

A video comparison between the Alcazar and its cheaper sibling, i.e, the Creta!
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed