Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2021, 15:05   #271
BHPian

re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Overall there seems to be a positive feeling about Hyundai 2.0 Petrol being offered by Alcazar. Hyundai has probably done a good job in marketing 2.0 engine this time around.

I, personally am not happy with the engine options. We are in the era of Turbo petrols and more power. Current aspirations would be to match 2.0 TSI engines of Skoda/VW producing >300 torque and >185PS of power. In comparison to that, this engine is quite pale.

On diesel side also we have 2.0 MJDs doing the duty in many 5 and 7 seater cars. I really hoped Hyundai to offer 2.0 Diesel in this car. Not sure why Hyundai is restricting itself in offering the great combination of 2.0 diesel and 8 speed AT and limiting it only in Tucson (a good product but generation older)

It is like Hyundai saying - No, you won't get our best engine gearbox combination. If you want it, you can only buy that in a gen-older Tucson, and yes, we won't launch new gen Tucson anytime soon either!
Old 7th April 2021, 15:43   #272
BHPian

re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Alcazar seem to have a sweet, well proportioned side profile. I will not be surprised if this is amongst the spacious car in segment. While the 1.5L diesel might lack outright punch of Safari/Hector plus, FE will be a big draw for many. If Hyundai prices well, Tata/MG should be worried, XUV500 will only make it worse.
The wheel base of Alcazar is 276 cm which is more than both Safari and Hector. Should be very spacious.
Old 7th April 2021, 16:09   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
These 7 seaters remind me of cars like the Swift being slapped on with a boot to make the Swift Dzire without actually being built grounds up to address the customer's requirements like true 7 seaters eg Innova (where also the space in the last row is debatable)
In fact this particular conversion of the Creta is much more pleasing to the eyes. Gone is the drooping rear end of the Creta as well as the weird placement of High(?) mount stop lamp. Alcazar looks much more proportionate and the only deal breaker people had with the Creta(looks) might be non existent now with the Alcazar.

Hyundai also seems to have managed the space well as per the wheelbase and initial information. Alcazar does not seem to be a just a Creta adjusted to be a 7 seater.

Last edited by mayank0782 : 7th April 2021 at 16:10.
mayank0782 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:28   #274
Senior - BHPian

I hope there is a top-end version with an automatic, full safety kit and bench seats. As of now, there is a void in the Crysta variants where it is not possible to buy a ZX version with bench seats. For people with toddlers, the baby seat essentially takes up one full chair and we are then left with only 3 seats in the first two rows. Alcazar can convert some Crysta top-end buyers just by fixing this void.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:46   #275
BHPian

I expect ~20-30% people who have already booked the Creta and staring at a 9 month waiting to move their booking to Alcazar if the on-road difference is less than 2 lakhs.

i20 Active(though the changes are much more this time, pricing and purpose as well!) all over again!
InControl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 17:35   #276
BHPian

So if the Alcazar (sorry I always confuse this with Alcatraz) is launching with a 1.5 diesel mill, shouldnt it ideally compete with the Marazzo?

Can someone please help me understand why it should compete with Hector plus? I mean is it an advanced and safe platform? Or is it only to do with the bling associated with a Hyundai?
racer_ash is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 19:48   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
So if the Alcazar (sorry I always confuse this with Alcatraz) is launching with a 1.5 diesel mill, shouldnt it ideally compete with the Marazzo?

Can someone please help me understand why it should compete with Hector plus? I mean is it an advanced and safe platform? Or is it only to do with the bling associated with a Hyundai?
Valid point. It should ideally compete with Marazzo (Diesel powered alcatraz). But the bling is enough for the Aam Junta to consider this over Marazzo.

Personally, Hector/Harrier Diesels sit above the Alcatraz.
07CR is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 19:51   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

Comparison with the Hector plus is to do more with the price range the Alcazar is going to find itself in. It'll be bang within the Hector Plus and Safari range. Marazzo is way cheaper.

No comments on the safety front because I don't know about the Hector's capabilities there but w.r.t features, I think they will be evenly matched.
Old 7th April 2021, 21:30   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai has never been so secretive/creating confusion about any car! They are acting like it's a completely new grounds up built car, whereas it's a car whose wheelbase and rear overhang has been increased only. Rest of the interiors are shared with the Creta anyway. Now some media houses are saying unveil is tomorrow, embargo ends on 9th but that's going to be on a camouflaged car, so when is Hyundai actually unveiling the car? Anyone with concrete info about the unveil?
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 22:05   #280
BANNED

Can someone throw light on what is the embargo referred here?

Can the 1.5L diesel pull 7 adults in uphill with good FE of >15KMPL in highways? Turbo will eat lot of petrol. So narrowing down my choice between 1.5L diesel and 2L petrol? I am not fan of driving beyond 100KMPH in our road conditions.
Old 8th April 2021, 00:25   #281
One
BHPian

Unless something is really off with this car, this has winner written all over it. If it looks different enough from Creta from outside, a couple of lakhs premium will be easily digestible for people short of petrol options Creta upwards till Endeavour range. Not everyone wants a petrol seven seater in the MUV shape of an Innova. That 2.0 engine is a pleasure to drive in Elantra and the Auto box in it is wonderful too.
Old 8th April 2021, 04:20   #282
BHPian

It highly seems like Hyundai might attempt to hit the fleet operators with the Alcazar. For the self driven, the Petrol 2.0 would definitely suffice and the ones who would be chauffeur driven wouldn't care about the diesel engine anyway.

Furthermore, the Innova's 6k units monthly is absolutely astonishing and any sane manufacturer would want a chunk of it, thanks to though lethargic competition & now no diesel in the segment, Hyundai's Alcazar might just hit the chord with the fleet buyers especially with the 1.5 Mill being quite fuel efficient. Furthermore, if the nomenclature of Creta is used for the Alcazar as well then I highly expect the base variants of this new MPV would be priced aggressively with just the basics in place & exactly what the cabbies prefer!

In the end, it's all about business and Hyundai would definitely want to cater to self drive rentals & fleet operators along with private buyers and anyway it's high time that Innova gets some real competition instead of people comparing the same with Ertiga, Lodgy and the likes, Marazzo seems like a typical van and it seems to be one of its biggest drawback even after being a capable product.
Old 8th April 2021, 06:01   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsr_83 View Post
Can someone throw light on what is the embargo referred here?

Can the 1.5L diesel pull 7 adults in uphill with good FE of >15KMPL in highways? Turbo will eat lot of petrol. So narrowing down my choice between 1.5L diesel and 2L petrol? I am not fan of driving beyond 100KMPH in our road conditions.
If the 1.5 diesel has been tuned for better low end response in the Alcazar, then it may do a "decent" job of pulling a 7 pax load during hill driving. In the Creta, the same engine in "comfort" mode is strictly adequate on hills and needs to be slotted to S mode for a sharper response on certain steep gradients. On the highways, again, the engine is linear, smooth in its build up , although it can be somewhat aggressive when put in S mode. But don't expect mind blowing performance. The best part is its fuel efficiency . Between 80-90 kph, it delivers excellent numbers in the 22-24 kmpl range with 2 pax.(I have occasionally experienced slightly more as well !).
To sum up, I am sure that even with a full load of 7 pax, the engine will deliver at least 18-20 kmpl on highways.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 8th April 2021 at 06:04.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 08:17   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
It highly seems like Hyundai might attempt to hit the fleet operators with the Alcazar. For the self driven, the Petrol 2.0 would definitely suffice and the ones who would be chauffeur driven wouldn't care about the diesel engine anyway.
This possibility is quite less not just with the Alcazar but all the 7 seater SUVs. They are primarily intended at the private owner and positioned as such. Positioning it for fleet owners risk diluting not just their brand but the brand of the related 5 seater as well. Also fleet targetted vehicles tend to have simple but durable engines that are easy and cheap to maintain. I don't think these offerings fall into that bracket. You still may have the odd operator buy them.

This requirement might be better served by an MUV itself which I believe Hyundai and Kia would bring in sooner than later.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 8th April 2021, 09:18   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
This is just the perspective I was searching for on the petrol engine. Thank you so much. I hope the Elantra you are referring to was automatic and not manual?

What kind of in city fuel efficiency have you seen the 2.0 automatic deliver in the Elantra please? I would assume the Alcazar being a little heavier and therefore will give a little lower than that.
Hi, if I may add to the discussion as an owner of a 2017 2.0 VTVT SX(O) AT Elantra. This engine and gearbox may not be a VW group TSi but is indeed a balanced bet. Has enough power and grunt (in SPORTS mode) to satisfy the average Joe. The 2.0L NA AT combination in the Elantra returns for me a 9.2 avg FE in Delhi city commutes, on the expressways (eg Yamuna Expressway) it easily returns 14-15 km/l.
docprashant is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks