Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2021, 16:24   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Most of the advertisements and visuals put out by Hyundai show the Alcazar from the side profile. While this looks pretty good, my guess is the car is quite narrow for a 7 seater and may look more like an MPV than an SUV in real life.

As for the discussion about weight, and how the NA Petrol engine will handle this, Autocar in its review of the camouflaged version of the Alcazar, says that it is around 150 KG heavier than the Creta : "Being around 150kg heavier than the 1.4 TGDI Creta, the Alcazar is quicker and, in fact, when we finally get to strap our VBOX on it, it could be the fastest accelerating SUV in its class". So, it looks like Hyundai has made the right choice when it comes to the Petrol engine. The 1.4 TGDI Creta did 0-100 in about 9.5 seconds if I remember right and if this car is faster, that speaks very well for the engine. However the large NA engine may not be very fuel efficient and I would not be surprised if the Petrol Auto returns only about 7-8 KPL for city runs and 9-10 on fast highway runs.

The Diesel will be another story altogether. I think the 1.5 U2 CDRI will struggle in this heaver car, especially when fully loaded. The Diesel Auto did 0-100 in about 12.5 seconds in the Creta and here with the Alcazr, this is likely to stretch to 14-15 seconds, making it a very leisurely SUV indeed. The pro will be fuel efficiency, as the smaller engine will make it win over competitors like the Tata Safari and the upcoming XUV 700 that will have larger diesel engines.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 11th June 2021 at 16:36.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 17:02   #467
BHPian

re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Currently the Nexa cars are also sold through the MS Arena dealerships (I got one) since their reach is more than Nexa's!
Completely off-topic but this is a brand new information.
Don't remember reading it anywhere. Is this norm now?
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 17:11   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
I wonder how people book a car without actually seeing and feeling it. Without even a proper media drive, how can anyone put his/ her hard earned cash? I can never imagine doing it.
For booking its only a few thousands, which is refundable. So typically for a car that is going to be a Hit or Miss (expecting success in this case, going by Hyundai recent track record and 'finger on pulse' approach), it's just a loss of interest on booking amount- which would be minuscule. If it's a good vehicle, people would be willing for long waiting periods..

Having said that, I would always decide buying any vehicle only after TD.
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 17:18   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
As for the discussion about weight, and how the NA Petrol engine will handle this, Autocar in its review of the camouflaged version of the Alcazar, says that it is around 150 KG heavier than the Creta : "Being around 150kg heavier than the 1.4 TGDI Creta, the Alcazar is quicker and, in fact, when we finally get to strap our VBOX on it, it could be the fastest accelerating SUV in its class". So, it looks like Hyundai has made the right choice when it comes to the Petrol engine. The 1.4 TGDI Creta did 0-100 in about 9.5 seconds if I remember right and if this car is faster, that speaks very well for the engine. However the large NA engine may not be very fuel efficient and I would not be surprised if the Petrol Auto returns only about 7-8 KPL for city runs and 9-10 on fast highway runs.

The Diesel will be another story altogether. I think the 1.5 U2 CDRI will struggle in this heaver car, especially when fully loaded. The Diesel Auto did 0-100 in about 12.5 seconds in the Creta and here with the Alcazr, this is likely to stretch to 14-15 seconds, making it a very leisurely SUV indeed. The pro will be fuel efficiency, as the smaller engine will make it win over competitors like the Tata Safari and the upcoming XUV 700 that will have larger diesel engines.
The Alcazar that was driven by all auto media journalists was the 2L petrol manual, which is the only engine + gearbox combo that can do the 0-100kmph sprint in less than 10s. Hyundai has advertised it as well "The 2.0 l Petrol MPi engine with 6-Speed Manual transmission, delivers power to conquer with an acceleration of 0 – 100 km/h in 9.5 seconds*."

More than flat-out acceleration, in gear acceleration will be more relevant everyday, so IIRC Hyundai had shared this for the diesel engine and skipped the 0-100kmph because they know it won't be able to match both it's sibling Creta and larger rivals like the Safari:

Timings for 20-50kmph and 60-100kmph have been mentioned for the diesel but no mention of the transmission. So yes with a full load the diesel is going to struggle.
7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-alcazar-diesel.jpg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 11th June 2021 at 17:22.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 17:21   #470
BHPian

Hyundai has managed to turn the ugly duckling in to a (somewhat) beautiful swan! The Alcazar thankfully looks much more palatable than its shorter sibling.

As a use case, I feel this is a better option for small families of 4 to travel long distances in luxury. They don't have to feel guilty when they have to ferry their extended families in and around the town, when the 3rd row of seats will be useful. Also, even with a 3rd row, the vehicle is not bulky and is city friendly! The large NA Petrol + TC combination should provide fantastic driveability and reliability too!

Hyundai have definitely done their homework well
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 18:12   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Completely off-topic but this is a brand new information.
Don't remember reading it anywhere. Is this norm now?
Forgot to add "not officially". Here is how it was done in my case. I went to Arena dealership to check out Swift. Saw an Ignis Test Drive vehicle and an XL6 for delivery.

Upon asking they said that they also own a Nexa dealership around 115 Kms away city so they let customer take TD here and deliver the cars here but billed on that Nexa dealership name.

The process was smooth and I faced no issues.

A lot of people in my apartment have bought (8 Balenos, 3 Ignis, No Swift!, 3 Dzires) from the same dealership.

Last edited by RavSam : 11th June 2021 at 18:14.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 22:03   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Timings for 20-50kmph and 60-100kmph have been mentioned for the diesel but no mention of the transmission. So yes with a full load the diesel is going to struggle.
Attachment 2166533
I have seen the youtube videos of XUV300, which have the same 1.5L engine with 300nm Torque, that is around 50nm more Torque than ALCAZAR.

Xuv300 Diesel Clocks 0-100 in around 12 seconds or 12.5 seconds.

I'm also confused about this and wondering if 1.5L diesel mill is able to take the load of 7 persons. How will it perform, especially uphill & in Day-to-Day life?

Anyone going for Test Drive on 18th June?

Please Update Thread after your test drive (If possible with pictures). Please try to get as many passengers as possible while testing Diesel Automatic (7 seater).

I had a word with the Local Dealer today and they told me that Test drive vehicles will be available on 18th itself. I have specifically asked for Diesel Automatic 7 Seater. Let's see, how well it will perform!
Old 11th June 2021, 23:40   #473
BHPian

I am honestly amazed how they have pulled it off. I was expecting it to a monstrocity, but it doesnt look half as bad. Not a ravishing beauty in my eyes but definately exceeded expectations. Perhaps the dark colour also helps.

The interiors are brilliant as expected.

Well done Hyundai.
Locomotive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 09:26   #474
BHPian

Any news on the rear ventilation seats, Hyundai has not mentioned about it in the leaked brochure. It would be interesting to see how it would be implemented with tumble seats.
arvishnu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 10:46   #475
BHPian

Had went to Hyundai Showroom for servicing of our Verna. Was sitting idle on my chair and for the first time ever, am really thankful that I wasn't stuck in my usual schedule of feeding myself with a good dose of Team-BHP posts in the free time. Saw a Endeavour like rear silhouette going past my sight, that was it, I jumped off my seat, followed the car down the basement(with due permission obviously) and saw the "mighty" Alacazar in black sitting there tall.

From first look, the car looks way bulkier than Creta, the road presence of this car is definitely going to be eye-catching. Mind you, I am not a fan of the design of Creta at all( no offence to any owners ) but this car touched me differently. The stance of the car is tall and bulky, ample ground clearance, the spares are tucked beneath the rear boot, the car gets a 215/55 R18 Tyre profile on the top variant. The rear looks absolutely beautiful in person and so does the new front grille as compared to Creta.

Now coming to the interior( for disclaimer, I didn't check out the car in detail as my service was completed and was running late for some other work) , the black and brown leather combo screams luxury in person, the digital instrument cluster has great visibility and is colour rich, infotainment is same as Creta's, front seats are really comfortable and so are the captain seats( there were 2 cars there, one 7 seater and another 6, both were sporting the same rims and tyre profile). Now came the time to check the 3rd row seats, now my height is around 5'11 and that row wasn't for me at all(the middle row seats were adjusted as per my height), that row is not even suitable for a lesser heighted adult, that is strictly suited for children. I had to bend my knees to the level of my chest to even fit in there so one can make out the space on offer.

Now coming to the main part, pricing, the SA told me that the top variant (Diesel Auto) will cost around 25 lakhs OTR Vapi, Gujarat( for reference the top of the line Diesel Auto Variant of Creta costs around 19.6 lakhs here). He also said that the car will come with absolutely 0 introductory offers.

No pics were allowed to be taken and I acknowledged their request. So this is all that I could gather from my brief time with the car. Hope this helped ��

Last edited by HSR21 : 12th June 2021 at 11:12. Reason: Change of words
HSR21 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 12:31   #476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSR21 View Post
Now coming to the main part, pricing, the SA told me that the top variant (Diesel Auto) will cost around 25 lakhs OTR Vapi, Gujarat( for reference the top of the line Diesel Auto Variant of Creta costs around 19.6 lakhs here). He also said that the car will come with absolutely 0 introductory offers.
Thanks for the scoop . At 25L OTR I guess the Alcazar deserves the 2L diesel from the Tucson, a 1.5L engine sounds absurd at this price point!

Also since you saw the 7 str in top-end guise, it means the brochure that was leaked earlier has a mistake then.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 13:07   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the scoop . At 25L OTR I guess the Alcazar deserves the 2L diesel from the Tucson, a 1.5L engine sounds absurd at this price point!

Also since you saw the 7 str in top-end guise, it means the brochure that was leaked earlier has a mistake then.
I’m not sure if the Alcazar will command such a huge premium over the Creta. For any like for like variant the difference should be 1.2-1-5 lakhs and not more. The same logic applies to the Harrier and Safari duo as well. So if a top end diesel auto Creta costs 19L somewhere then why should the Alcazar cost 25L?
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 13:17   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I’m not sure if the Alcazar will command such a huge premium over the Creta. For any like for like variant the difference should be 1.2-1-5 lakhs and not more. The same logic applies to the Harrier and Safari duo as well. So if a top end diesel auto Creta costs 19L somewhere then why should the Alcazar cost 25L?
Exactly. Alcazar at best is worth Rs 1.5 to 2L over the Creta from what we have seen so far. Safari is based on Harrier a much bigger car than Creta, has a much bigger diesel engine. Even if they keep Alcazar diesel Rs 1L cheaper than Safari, I will go for the Safari or wait for XUV700. I am not paying Rs 25L for a 1.5L diesel! Creta top end diesel AT is Rs 21L OTR here. Alcazar isn't worth anything over Rs 22.5L to 23L OTR.
udaikalra01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 13:22   #479
BHPian

Quote:
True, 1.5L seems quite underpowered for a 7 seater 25L OTR car. I even doubt if the price SA quoted is of Diesel Auto Top end variant or just the costliest one in general (which might end up being petrol given the engine)

Quote:
Also since you saw the 7 str in top-end guise, it means the brochure that was leaked earlier has a mistake then
Sorry I did not elaborate it well, the 6 seater variant was the top end, I only sat in the middle row of the 7 seater variant briefly as SA was having a hard time pulling up the middle seat of the 6 seater variant for making room to get into the 3rd row.

Only thing I can tell about that 7 seater variant is that it was sporting the same alloys and tyre profile as the 6 seater top end variant. I really hope there is a 7 seater option for the top end variant as well unlike what's given in the brochure.

Sorry I couldn't get more details about the car due to time constraint, would have loved to spend more time with both the variants and share more info with Team-BHP family.
HSR21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 14:07   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Although there is one major aspect in the Harrier-Safari pricing, it is that the Harrier was already crossing 24-25L OTR and the Safari also had to be placed in a similar bracket of 25-26L OTR because the Innova is there just above it. It was out of desperation that Tata had to price the Safari at the price that it is available right now.

Also Safari and Harrier have the same wheelbase, Alcazar and Creta don’t. Harrier and Safari have the same rear doors if I am not wrong, Alcazar’s rear door is slightly larger than the Creta.

And finally Hyundai has a large price playground to play in, from 20L that is 1L above Creta’s SX(O) AT OTR to 24L OTR maximum. I expect the Alcazar to have very similar pricing to the Hector Plus, which is topping out at 23.88L OTR. Anything above 24L OTR for the Alcazar and buyers will flock to Tata showrooms to pick up the Safari.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed