Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2021, 09:08   #106
BANNED

re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Gentlemen, I believe that we are comfortably ignoring a few key points while drawing a comparison between the Alcazar and the Safari.

Most important aspect is, why anyone would choose the Alcazar over the Creta:
  • More flexibility: You have 6 seats, or 7 seats, or 4 seats + boot, or 5 seats + boot.
  • More Comfort: Added weight on rear axle always results in a better ride quality for middle row or rear passengers. We have seen the same in Safari, TUV 300 Plus, Xylo and other options.
  • Minor FE difference: In the city you can feel the difference, but if it's not 7 people on board, only 4-5, then the highway FE is more or less same, especially for the diesel versions

That Central Armrest and the Road to Third Row!
See gentlemen, if it's an easy and perfect tumble for the middle row, like in Innova Crysta, why would anyone, especially the adults, want to move to the third row via the narrow space available between the captain seats?

Safari has this design flaw, if this was a common issue, Innova would never have had it. Innova Crysta, with bigger and wider seats, has a perfect tumble option, but Safari, even Hexa, had the same issue. So, it's good to have a nice fixed, and wide armrest in the middle with storage options, instead of having 2 sticks of 2 inch diameter each, on the name of armrests. I don't understand what Tata designers have been doing regarding the captain seats, neither they could make the best in class seats with best in class support, nor they could make them tumble, it has been years since Hexa was made, and the flaw remains as it is. So, folding the seat and then moving to third row is the norm, moving through the gap between the seats is an exception. What we are doing is, we are trying to do the vice versa.

What if
It gets the middle row seat ventilation? Hyundai has more than 4 lac of a gap between Creta and Harrier. They can add smashing set of features in this car. In the pics, there seem to be some buttons ahead of the armrest too, there are infinite possibilities.
The customer is full time chauffeur driven? These CUVs offer a few distinct advantages like:
  • Better NVH due to smaller engines
  • Panoramic sunroof above your head, and ventilated seats under you (If offered). With the water or juice bottle in your right hand side (remember, mostly people sit in the left), ahead of a proper big armrest
  • A car in which you walk in, and not climb up to - I know people who chose compact UV over sedan because the sedan was too low, and over an SUV because the SUV was too high. Chauffeur driven are mostly the people in late forties or above aged, such things matter to them

This Car Is Going to Be a Success Because:
  • Look at the price of diesel and petrol: It will cost way lower than the already higher than this car priced Safari, Hector, Harrier etc to run.
  • Multiple engine and transmission options: Petrol, diesel and automatics. Come to Delhi-NCR and see, people want petrol cars now. Additionally, with the lighter weight, even the petrol of this car will cost lesser than a diesel Safari to run in real world (Not ARAI)
  • It is a Hyundai and it is a Creta + 2 seats: And Indian customers love that!

Low power and higher weight:
How many white plate cars always carry seven people?
Secondly, the 1.5 diesel can still pull the additional 100-150 kg weight, it will feel a bit of pain in the hills, but if you opt for the TC AT or the petrol gets CVT from Creta, then who is bothered about it? Everyone knows, a TC can make even the 1000 cc petrol engine pull the load. Additionally, Hyundai knows a thing or two when it comes to engine tuning, look at the performance of the new Creta too, the figures of 115 bhp on paper and the performance it offers, makes us question the 170 bhp of Compass, Hector, and Harrier, isn't it? And the older 1.6, with those 124 horses, was a proper exception.

IMO, the comparison with Safari itself is wrong, there is too big a price difference. But this car, and the Creta, are simply placed in a sweet spot. There is nearly zero competition at the price point this Creta plays at, and even if this costs up to 1.5 lac more. I am 100% sure that Hyundai will play in their own 4-5 lac price gap that is very well evident between 14-22 lac range. It doesn't matter how much competent this seven seat UV segment is getting, Hyundai is playing in that position, where you can buy anything, as far as it has a Hyundai or Kia badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
I doubt if this will even compete with the Safari/XUV500. At best against the Marazzo/Ertiga.
Indeed the key point, we are actually discussing something, that's not going to happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav100 View Post
On the other hand, Creta base starts at 10.30(diesel E variant as that is of relevance with this body size), so, I believe it would be safe to assume an Alcazar base model price of below 12 lac, perhaps could be even 11.49 lac if Hyundai doesn't get greedy.
That's exactly where I am going, Hyundai has such a huge ground to play in, with price and features, and has such a well established product, that if they move right, people will queue up outside the dealerships to get one. And 4 ventilated seats, if offered, will make a big kill I would say.

They can load it with features to the grille, and still significantly undercut the likes of Harrier, Hector, Safari etc. Only Mahindra can deliver a shock to Alcazar, else this is going to steal a lot from many junior as well as senior players.

Last edited by VKumar : 25th February 2021 at 09:22.
VKumar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 09:57   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Currently, Marazzo offers a 1.5L diesel, with a slightly higher torque rating. Similarly Ertiga and XL6 have 1.5L NA petrol engines. Even the old BRV has similar engines. The Alcazar would do just fine like others in the company. Just don't expect performance like the Creta from this people mover.

Alcazar's advantage:

1. A nice CVT gearbox available with the NA petrol engine

2. A nice TC gearbox available with the diesel engine

3. Turbo petrol and DCT options available

4. Loads of features (it might have few extras over the Creta). Just that pano sunroof is a big enough USP for the market!

These are some initial advantages that Alcazar might have, over its competitors. Now it depends on Hyundai how it prices the car and which segment it targets (12-18L vs. 15-20L, ex-showroom).

That said, that centre console looks like a sore thumb, very similar to the aftermarket handrests available in the market.

Anyday, I prefer the 'path' between the captain seats to be free. I can walk to the last row (even being a 6 fter I find it convenient than to tumble the middle row).

During long trips, we also keep our bag of essentials there (instead of it eating up my foot space). It remains within easy reach of the middle row and last row.

Last edited by ashis89 : 25th February 2021 at 10:00.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 11:06   #108
BHPian

People are speculating the 7 seater Creta to have ventilated. In my eyes I feel that the middle row seats are not going to give the supreme captain seat comfort as you would get in an innova. The reason being that the middle row seats are very thin when compared to the front chairs. The third row seems low and cramped just as the case with most three row seaters. What about the luggage space?
The middle row armrest needs to be adjustable by itself or else it won't serve the purpose to rest your arms. I like the integration of cup holders- a unique touch. I feel they integrated extra charging ports for the three row passengers or an extra air purifer or a third row AC vent?
The set up is very 'Jugar' in the first sight.
Someone who wants a so called premium alternative to an Ertiga/XL-7 can go for this. A bench seat configuration would have been a very practical decision. Again, safety is a big concern. The Safari is priced very attractively and feels more premium in terms of design and asthetics.
Old 25th February 2021, 19:45   #109
BHPian

The only thing that I see working against this product is its name. It may take some time to digest the 'Alcazar" name to mass people.
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 21:32   #110
Kln
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
The only thing that I see working against this product is its name. It may take some time to digest the 'Alcazar" name to mass people.
People are just going to call it' badi wali creta' or '7 seat wali creta'. The naming has been horrible. I don't know why Hyundai is even bothering to launch it as a completely different product line. Unlike Tata with the harrier/safari, Hyundai has no old popular discontinued flagship to fall back on for recall value.
Kln is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 23:56   #111
Senior - BHPian

At the rate Indians are accepting whatever Hyundai (and sister company Kia) churns out, I'm sure this will also be very successful. Hyundai has the right ingredients to succeed and I just hope Hyundai realize they are filling a segment the BR-V and Marazzo couldn't crack rather than directly competing with the Safari & Hector plus as the latter are larger cars.

Sure, BHPians can talk about lack of power, but the Innova sold with diesel engine producing a 100 BHP & 200 Nm of torque for over 10 years. (Even with powerful alternatives like the XUV 500 & Safari Storme in the latter years)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 25th February 2021 at 23:59.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 05:57   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
At the Innova sold with diesel engine producing a 100 BHP & 200 Nm of torque for over 10 years.
The Innova had a 2500 cc engine vs 1500 cc on the Creta. As someone who has the TC version of the Creta diesel I can say this: in its present state of tune, the engine is adequately powerful for a 4-5 seater when it comes to city/ highway driving. While climbing gradients, you do need to use the paddle shifters or S mode on steep inclines otherwise the default Comfort mode may tend to bog down the AT gearbox on occasion . This may be even more pronounced with 7 pax and luggage. Its not underpowered, but “ adequate “ . I think the 1.4 DCT or manual maybe a more interesting choice for the Alcazar.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 09:50   #113
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai might have an edge if this one has the E variant with diesel engine option. Unlike few auto makers, Hyundai's base models need very little add ons to make them liveable.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 14:25   #114
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai will introduce Alcazar in the Indian market by June 2021, making it the brand's first three-row SUV to be sold in India.

7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-20210227_141932.jpg

Quote:
Commenting on the announcement, S S Kim, MD and CEO, Hyundai Motor India,said, “The year 2021 will add a new chapter in HMIL history, as we gear up to enter and redefine a new segment. The Hyundai Alcazar will supersede the aspirations of new-age buyers and redefine existing benchmarks to ensure customer delight.”
Source
Old 27th February 2021, 14:27   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Hyundai will introduce Alcazar in the Indian market by June 2021, making it the brand's first three-row SUV to be sold in India.
Kindly edit the post as I think the First three row SUV for Hyundai to be sold in India was Terracan.
sv97 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 17:41   #116
BHPian

Quote:

Also not to forget the Current Santa fe
lancia_fanboy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:52   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hyundai branding guys obviously have not read Tintin. For Gen X in India who grew up on a generous dose of Tintin comics, the word "Alcazar" instantly reminds us of the ever-angry, unshaven, chain-smoking, unruly, general with a gun always in hand. Not the ideal image for a sedate and clean family SUV

Next up - Kia launches their 7-seat SUV and names it Carreidas!
Attached Thumbnails
7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-alc1.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 3rd March 2021 at 12:09.
84.monsoon is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 10:42   #118
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Alcazar rendered

7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-smartselect_20210305104040_chrome.jpg

7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-smartselect_20210305104049_chrome.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 11:26   #119
BANNED

Quote:
Hyundai Alcazar rendered
If the real production model is even 80% of this render, then the side profile and the rear are really nice looking.

Particularly the side profile, it's looking very balanced in styling elements and glass to metal ratio - has quite an urban and luxury flair in it.

Probably, just like Harrier and Safari, in this case also, the biggest confusion the customers are going to face is not between something outside the dealership; but among the ones which share the dealership floor.

Looks like the C pillar shark fin (From Hexa) was given away by Tata to Hyundai, and they have put it on their Alcazar after elongating it a bit.
Old 5th March 2021, 11:35   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai Alcazar rendered

Attachment 2128753

Attachment 2128754
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
If the real production model is even 80% of this render, then the side profile and the rear are really nice looking.

Particularly the side profile, it's looking very balanced in styling elements and glass to metal ratio - has quite an urban and luxury flair in it.

Looks like the C pillar shark fin (From Hexa) was given away by Tata to Hyundai, and they have put it on their Alcazar after elongating it a bit.
The side profile in this render including the taillights are picked out from the Kia Sorento, no way is the Alcazar going to have the same side profile. In the spyshots as well the taillights look no where close to this render!

7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-allnewkiasorento.jpg

7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-evoindia_202003_5c32c7ea872b4b0298c80710dd064cab_kia_sorento_features__specs__price__3_.jpg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks