Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2021, 14:28   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

No 1.4L TGDi petrol for the Alcazar, missed opportunity by Hyundai IMO! Although the 2L petrol NA is a large motor it doesn’t have the torque of the 1.4L TGDi!

The 1.5L diesel with 115bhp will be differently tuned to adapt to the additional weight.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...evealed-420406
Old 5th April 2021, 15:04   #227
BHPian

Brilliant strategy by Hyundai group. At one side ALCAZAR 7 seater SUV and on the other end it's the SONET 7 seater.

The SONET 7S will be squarely aimed at ERTIGA twins in terms of pricing. ALCAZAR will eat into the petrol propelled HECTOR twins sales, especially with that rumoured bigger 2.0L motor. Why should they leave those 3000units per month? It will be easier for a Hyundai sales man to differentiate it from a CRETA and push it over the HECTOR 1.5.

Another thing is that it's rumoured to have extended its wheelbase by 200mm which makes it the longest in its class at 2790mm.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 5th April 2021 at 15:07.
TorqueIndia is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 15:19   #228
Senior - BHPian

re: 7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
No 1.4L TGDi petrol for the Alcazar, missed opportunity by Hyundai IMO! Although the 2L petrol NA is a large motor it doesn’t have the torque of the 1.4L TGDi!

The 1.5L diesel with 115bhp will be differently tuned to adapt to the additional weight.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...evealed-420406
For a car that will pull along 7 adults and their luggage, I think the smooth, linear 2.0 NA engine may be a better option overall. The 1.4 DCT may be powerful on paper in terms of torque, but it may not be a scorcher on the road with that kind of load.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 16:20   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
For a car that will pull along 7 adults and their luggage, I think the smooth, linear 2.0 NA engine may be a better option overall. The 1.4 DCT may be powerful on paper in terms of torque, but it may not be a scorcher on the road with that kind of load.
If pulling luggage and load is what you are after, the diesel will blow both out of the water.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 16:53   #230

How will Hyundai place the Tucson in their India lineup after the launch of the Alcazar? Will the Alcazar replace the Tucson in Hyundai India's lineup or will Hyundai sell the Tucson at a higher price bracket?
Old 5th April 2021, 17:01   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
If pulling luggage and load is what you are after, the diesel will blow both out of the water.
Generally true. But off late, there is an evolving segment who do not want a diesel and wants petrol with reasonable pulling power. You can see many petrol cats being booked in the Crysta thread lately. For that segment, the 2.0 will make much more sense than the 1.4 GDI.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 5th April 2021 at 17:03.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 17:40   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
This will single-handedly dig the grave for both the Hector Plus and the Ertiga. I see a crazy number of Hector Pluses on the road nowadays and the Alacazar will only take this to the next level.

With a 2.0l and Hyundai features, any future entrants into the sub 25L 7 seater space are done for. The Safari might be spared since it is looks and feels much more SUVish and butch. Not sure about the new XUV500 though. If Mahindra goes for a soft roader approach then they will get hit by the Alcazar as well.
Agree with any 7 seater around 25lakh. But Ertiga ? you could buy 2 of those for 1 alcazar
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 17:46   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zv777 View Post
How will Hyundai place the Tucson in their India lineup after the launch of the Alcazar? ...
Moot point, that. The five seat Creta already holds its own in the list of features being offerred, against the present face-lift Tuscon. Some of those features are definitely useful, are not mere cosmetics and cannot be ignored.

The six/seven seat Alcazar with even more features and seating (or luggage space - as one desires to use it) will now perhaps cannibalise some more sales of the Tucson.

If one goes through the presentation and available literature of the new 2021 Tucson, there are two blanks as far as planned assemblies in countries worldwide are concerned - the first country is Brazil, the second is India.

So, your point hits the nail on the head - that is indeed the missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle. However, I am sure some light will shine through tomorrow (06 April) - the planned date of unveil of this 7 seater. The stated engine-gearbox combinations and features list will then give a big hint as to where all this is headed.

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 5th April 2021 at 17:50. Reason: additional
Rigid Rotor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 17:48   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
It's literally raining seven seaters!

Post the Tata Safari, the Alcazar and the KIA Sonet seven seater! Looks like this niche is expanding fast. Would be interesting to see how the slaes splits between 7 seater and 5 seater SUV in a while from now.

Drive on,
Shibu
These 7 seaters remind me of cars like the Swift being slapped on with a boot to make the Swift Dzire without actually being built grounds up to address the customer's requirements like true 7 seaters eg Innova (where also the space in the last row is debatable)
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:24   #235
BHPian

On a slightly unrelated note, I love the attention to detail Hyundai shows in their launches.
The word "Alcazar" refers to a Spanish castle, and sure enough, the camouflage pattern on the car shown in the video has little castles dotting it all over. The main motif bears a strong resemblance to the famous "Alcazar of Sergovia."

7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-screen-shot-20210405-6.14.49-pm.png

7-seater Hyundai Alcazar launching in June 2021. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 16.30 lakhs-alcazar_segovia.jpeg

Alcazar of Sergovia image from here
TejasKinger is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:52   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Agree with any 7 seater around 25lakh. But Ertiga ? you could buy 2 of those for 1 alcazar
A top Ertiga (XL6) runs about ~14L OTR in Pune. I don't see the base/mid trims of the Alcazar being too far from this number. With the amount of prestige a Hyundai SUV commands with the middle class most will opt for the Alcazar.
Old 5th April 2021, 20:32   #237
Senior - BHPian

Yes, but whats the connect between that castle and the car? Castle, by definition, is a 'fortified home'. And cues of strength comes out. Not to be confused for 'opulence and splendour' - which the word 'palace' evokes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasKinger View Post
On a slightly unrelated note, I love the attention to detail Hyundai shows in their launches. The word "Alcazar" refers to a Spanish castle, and sure enough, the camouflage pattern on the car shown in the video has little castles dotting it all over. The main motif bears a strong resemblance to the famous "Alcazar of Sergovia."

Last edited by Sebring : 5th April 2021 at 20:33.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 21:21   #238
BHPian

Hyundai, Please give us 5 star NCAP at launch and I'm your customer. I have made a mental note to buy only 5 star rated cars.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 05:51   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
No it wont. I have a 1.5 Diesel Creta. Its performance is great, but not mind blowing. I dont have an issue with that. But to expect the car with 7 pax in the same diesel engine tune to show better performance than the 2.0NA petrol engine is not going to happen. The Alcazar 1.5 diesel needs more torque for actually pullling the load and more bhp to help the salespersons 🤨.
Old 6th April 2021, 05:52   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
Hyundai, Please give us 5 star NCAP at launch and I'm your customer. I have made a mental note to buy only 5 star rated cars.
On a lighter note, you may need to buy both the Creta and Seltos for that. You get 4 rows of seating with an ~ aggregate rating of 5 stars.

On a serious note, I would hope for that too, as someone who would consider the Koreans seriously as a buyer. But I'm not sure this version will be undergoing serious enough engineering to alter the ratings by much. Fingers crossed though, doesn't hurt to wish for it.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed