Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2020, 11:47   #151
BANNED

Re: How are you protecting your car in the lockdown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Guys, my tires are losing air very fast. Had dropped to 16 PSI within a month.

Any reason for this? Puncture? The tires are not very old but have a few tubeless puncture repairs on them.
Spray soapy water solution on the tyres & valve and see if there are any bubbles appearing. If yes, it is a puncture else could be the valve.

Also see if there is damage to the rims where air could be leaking slowly.
Old 12th May 2020, 10:03   #152
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

So just a few days before the lockdown was enforced, I got a full tank for my car, as I usually go from a full tank to a full tank, but now that fuel has been sitting in the sun ever since. (2 months)

Are there any precautions that I should take, I had read somewhere that fuel stabilizers are a thing for when fuel is sitting for a long time? Should I look into getting one? Where would I be able to get one, in the current situation?

Whats the worse that can happen if I let it be?

I did start the car for a bit every month and drove in the society.

Moderators - I couldn't find the most relevant thread to post this in, so I am posting it here, please do let me know if there is a more relevant thread for such queries.
Old 12th May 2020, 10:45   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerus View Post
So just a few days before the lockdown was enforced, I got a full tank for my car, as I usually go from a full tank to a full tank, but now that fuel has been sitting in the sun ever since. (2 months)

Are there any precautions that I should take, I had read somewhere that fuel stabilizers are a thing for when fuel is sitting for a long time? Should I look into getting one? Where would I be able to get one, in the current situation?

Whats the worse that can happen if I let it be?

I did start the car for a bit every month and drove in the society.

Moderators - I couldn't find the most relevant thread to post this in, so I am posting it here, please do let me know if there is a more relevant thread for such queries.
Same is the case with me, I also go for tank fill & got my tank filled just couple of days before lockdown, now my TUV is also sitting with a full tank from almost past 2 months.
Also, I came to my hometown before lockdown so my TUV is away in another town and not even cranked once in past almost 2 months.
Hope I don't find a dead battery once I go back.
Old 12th May 2020, 10:59   #154
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerus View Post
I haven't experienced this situation per se, but I too fill petrol from tankful to tankful and last year there was a lean driving period. I filled up in January end and the refill was somewhere after mid April. No additional top ups in between. So essentially the same fuel for about three months. I used the car sparingly in between for short runs that's the only difference between our situations. There was/is no problem experienced whatsoever, not even big drop in FE. It is also to be noted that the car was then just over one year old and the fuel was petrol.
Old 12th May 2020, 11:43   #155
Senior - BHPian

No better way to keep the car in shape than have our running. Now that the lockdown is slowly easing up and some offices are starting to work at restricted capacity, I am planning to take out my car and head to office couple of times a week. While both my City and Brio have been doing short grocery runs throughout the lockdown period, this is the first time I'll be taking the ladies out for a 25 km run.

Feeling super excited to rev the ivtec again at long last
Old 12th May 2020, 11:45   #156
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just remembered that many Hyundai models get a fuse box with a master on/off switch, EXACTLY for times like these. Prevents battery drain. Use it, Hyundai owners!

How are you protecting your car in the lockdown?-2020hyundaiaura65.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 11:47   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
Also, I came to my hometown before lockdown so my TUV is away in another town and not even cranked once in past almost 2 months.
Hope I don't find a dead battery once I go back.
Please remove the battery, test it and charge it in a battery shop before attempting to start the vehicle. Not a good idea to attempt to start it as is.
Old 11th June 2020, 16:45   #158
BHPian

My car was standing at her designated parking since 15 March. The only thing that I had done was lifted up the wiper stalks.
On 9th of June, I dusted all the window glasses and the front windscreen. I had to open the car using the key as the remote unlock failed to unlock the doors. The event gave me palpitations and several thoughts cross my mind. I opened up the fuel filler cap to vent out any accumulated gases. Opened up the hood and had good look at the engine bay. And then I inserted the key in the keyhole and moved it into ignition position. All the usual tell-tale lamp started to glow and things appeared to be normal. Then I turned the key to crank the engine, lo & behold the car started puttering immediately. I immediately got out and again had a good look at the engine bay. Except for a slight difference in the engine noise everything was looking fine. I immediately took her for nitrogen top-up. All the tires had 4-5 psi less pressure. Post top-up I took her for a body wash to take down all the grime that had accumulated on the body surface. I took her for a short drive just to be sure that things are good. I used her one more time a day later. The only glitch that I found is that sometimes it fails to open or close using the remote key.
Now I am longing for a long drive. With the rains around the corner and all the greenery around it feels like stupid confined to the four walls.

Last edited by distiller : 11th June 2020 at 16:47. Reason: Removed capital letter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks