Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2020, 18:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Colour blind may now be eligible for a driving license

According to a media report, the ministry of road transport and highways (MoRTH) is preparing draft norms that could allow colour blind people to drive private cars and those with mild or moderate colour vision deficiency to drive commercial vehicles.

The norms are being prepared after a panel of ophthalmologists from the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) gave their recommendations on this issue. Colour blindness is the inability or reduced ability to perceive colour differences in normal light conditions. It is reported that the panel found that the European Union has dropped the provision of colour blindness for applying for a driving license while in the United States, colour blind applicants are not issued commercial vehicle licenses.

Colour blindness could affect around 3% of the population in India and the prevalence of congenital colour blindness is about 8% in males and 0.4% in females.

Colour blind may now be eligible for a driving license-img_0383.jpg

Source

Link to the Team-BHP News
blackwasp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 19:34   #2
BANNED

Re: Colour blind may now be eligible for a driving license

While it’s a welcome move, I don’t remember Opthalmologist checking colour vision. I got my license 2 decades back, so not sure about my memory! Do Opthalmologist check colour vision for driving license fitness?
Old 30th March 2020, 20:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Great, and a welcome move.

Like any colour blind person, I would defend myself saying I am not, but the fact remains I can't tell half of the numbers in an Ishihara test. Not the main colours. Just some confusion regarding some red- green shades.

When I applied for my driving license at 18, I just had to do a basic eye test at the nearest big hospital. Didn't take 2 wheeler license due to family pressure.

After college, applied for 2 wheelers license, but this time went to a small eye clinic for the eye test. Old school doctor, after the usual eyesight test, he took an old book and asked me to read the numbers in it. I could make out only 2-3 numbers, couldn't make out the rest. He said, he wouldn't sign my fitness paper dismissively, even after I said I already held a driving license for the past 4 years.

Went to the nearby big hospital where I did my eye test earlier, after an eye test, got the paper signed.

Came home and straightaway googled the test, to find it was 'Ishihara' test. To say the least, I was furious for a few days.

Even for my Qatar driving test, it was just a simple eye test, not the Ishihara test.

I mean, traffic signals are red/amber and green. I can very well recognize them, and also all the blue, green, red signboards on the road.

It's not fighter jet stuff!!!!
DicKy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 23:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Other than costs, I don't why traffic lights can't have different shapes. Something like this:
Octagon with a red light for STOP
Diamond with a amber light for WARNING
Triangle with a green light for GO

Such things would tremendously help the colorblind to drive comfortably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Like any colour blind person, I would defend myself saying I am not, but the fact remains I can't tell half of the numbers in an Ishihara test. Not the main colours. Just some confusion regarding some red- green shades.
Don't be disheartened. I've also failed the Ishihara test while trying to apply for marine engineering.

According to a doctor in the Army hospital in Bangalore, over 2/3rds of men fail the Ishihara test. Mild color blindness is much more common than we think it is. The Ishihara test only required for specialty occupations like army, (merchant) navy, high tech power-plants, and some manufacturing plants. Such jobs require perfect color perception to see warnings and/or identify critical messages/controls. Using the Ishihara test to determine who gets a driving license is too strict and I haven't heard of before.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 30th March 2020 at 23:25.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 23:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Don't be disheartened. I've also failed the Ishihara test while trying to apply for marine engineering.
I failed mine while interviewing for Sainik School in class 5

I got a two wheeler license first and then a 4 wheeler.. almost 10 - 15 yrs back and I wasnt asked for this even once .

Its high time folks are given a standard driving test, Its either too restrictive or you get it through influence sitting at home
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 07:56   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Thread moved to the Street Experiences section!
Old 31st March 2020, 09:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I don’t remember Opthalmologist checking colour vision.
I am an Ophthalmologist, recent regulations in Karnataka make an eye check up mandatory for new applicants as well as renewals, and hence get a few patients for a check up along with the medical form.

The Questions in the form are
Quote:
(a) Does the applicant, to the best of your judgment, suffer from any defect of vision? If so, has it been corrected by suitable Spectacles?

Yes/No

(b) Can the applicant, to the best of your judgment, readily distinguish the pigmentary colours, red and green?

Yes/No

(c) In your opinion, is he able to distinguish with his eyesight at a distance of 25 metres in good day light a motor car number plate?

Yes/No
Hence Ishiara's is not mandatory - the applicant should be able to distinguish the pigmentary colours, red and green - which most people with color blindness (mild forms) are able to do.

When it comes to traffic lights, the people with mild degree of color blindness will still be able to distinguish each light from the other and in moderate degree's the placement of the light - red at top, green at the bottom

Defence, Railways and some Industries are stricter and don't accept even a mild degree of color blindness
slicvic is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks