Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2020, 17:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Close Look: Toyota Vellfire

Have seen plenty of them during my visit to Malaysia, I must say, they do look good in flesh. At this price, there will hardly be any takers as Carnival makes much more sense.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 21:22   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Toyota Vellfire is on sale in India at a price of Rs. 79.50 lakhs (ex-showroom).
Nice review Samurai & Team. Rated now customary 5 stars. An engaging read. I just don't like the looks of this car. Its straight from a toy store. Of course - the luxury on offer is startling. Lovely cabin & creature comforts in this one for those rich back seat passengers.

Why isn't this thread in the usual Official review forum but in Indian car scene forum? Is it because we didn't get to keep the car for as long as we need to be sure for an official review? (Sorry if this is already answered & I missed it. Don't bother to answer again then.)
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 22:27   #33
BHPian

May be it looks ugly to many eyes !
But boy, it does grab attention . There is no way this get unnoticed . Pound for pound Bling Machine (more so in black).
And the interiors , especially the middle row is fabulous.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 11:55   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is why five star hotels and corporates can forget about adding the Vellfire to their fleets via EPCG scheme - they can purchase it duty free. Toyota doesn’t want to sell it to them, because it doesn’t meet the SHEV branding criteria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Such a stratospheric price tag mean that this car is only for people/organizations who benefit from EPCG.
Toyota cannot stop any hotel or corporate from buying the Vellfire under the EPCG scheme. If I am a hotelier, I can walk into a Toyota showroom and purchase the Vellfire. Because it doesn't affect margins, dealers will only be too happy to support such sales.

IMHO, we will definitely see Vellfires being bought by EPCG-eligible customers. On the other hand, competition from the Carnival & V-Class might make things a bit tougher for Toyota in the hospitality segment.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 02:30   #35
BHPian

As pointed out by many, only the niche / specific set of buyers will purchase this car. If I were in the market for people mover like this, would have customized Innova Crysta - adding Captain Seats in the middle row, some more creature comforts and enjoyed the 80% comfort of Vellfire at 30% of it's price.
Old 9th April 2020, 10:32   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Toyota cannot stop any hotel or corporate from buying the Vellfire under the EPCG scheme. If I am a hotelier, I can walk into a Toyota showroom and purchase the Vellfire.
Technically they can. So when someone buys under any concessional scheme, the goods are to be cleared at customs using buyers credentials, this can be either via direct invoicing from Toyota HQ to customer or High Sea Sales for smaller shipments. In both the cases, different prices apply than what we see here and Dealerships cannot book such orders without involving Toyota.

Yes, you are correct, after the initial sales to HNI & Politicians, Hospitality industry will be the segment to target but the competition will be more. For most Hotels/ Tour operators, a Kia can meet 99 % of requirements at less than half the costs (even after EPCG benefits).

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th April 2020 at 10:36.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 22:30   #37
BHPian

I am quite impressed with Toyota's practical and well thought-out approach towards moving away from conventional IC engines. The Vellfire as a product however is unimpressive sans the hybrid technology it employs.
Old 19th May 2020, 13:38   #38

Had bought velfire on 9th March from Pioneer Toyota in Chd. I have previously bought few Land Cruisers from Pioneer Toyota Chandigarh for our company apart from regular Toyotas. This car was also bought for the Family of the Chairman of the company i work for.

The other cars in the garage are few Maybachs, Rolls Royce Ghost , BMW 7, LC200s apart from Regular Mercs, Audis and BMWs.

This Velifire was bought as a replacement for a Regular Merc S which had recently met with an accident and was totalled.

The car has hardly been driven because of the lockdown.

The car is very comfortable to sit in the middle seats and is a rich mans Van. You can't look at it as a VFM car but if you compare the price of Velfire internationally.. it commands a very less premium on international price as compared to LCs and LX450.
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look: Toyota Vellfire-vel2.jpeg  

A Close Look: Toyota Vellfire-vel3.png  

A Close Look: Toyota Vellfire-velfire1.png  

Tj00072 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 12:22   #39

Ugly as it may look, and boxy as it may seem, one cannot deny that this beast has PRESENCE. And that may not be a bad thing for the targeted buyer.

However, it is pretty obvious (like the many theories that have been floated around on this page) that Toyota is not looking for volumes on this vehicle.

I had been to some countries in South-East Asia where MPVs are a common sight on roads, and vehicles like the Vellfire play a more utilitarian role similar to the Innova's in India.

I too am a strong advocate for proper Hybrids in India, and feel that the Government should incentivize Hybrids as a proper and necessary step towards extensive electrification in future.
frozen.ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 20:05   #40
BANNED

Toyota increases Vellfire's price by 4 lakh rupees, now it costs 83.5 lakh ex-showroom, Delhi. - Link
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 00:36   #41
BHPian

83,50,000. Are you kidding me ?

This isn't even about just Toyota, vehicle pricing in this country has completely abandoned all sanity. With our population, they will always find takers though, so it won't matter how outrageously they behave.
reihem is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 12:24   #42
BHPian

83 lakhs for a 115 hp/198 Nm vehicle. Let that sink in.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 12:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Price hike is steep and is uncalled for in these testing time, but isn't overall power rating for Vellfire 300+HP?
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 12:55   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
It doesn't sink in cause this is a Hybrid vehicle with 2 electric motors front and back. The front electric motor can give 140BHP and the rear can provide 67BHP.

Combined power of all 3 power trains is ~320 bhp but overall power is closer to ~196BHP since the system decides how to use the 3 power trains on it's own.

Let's get the facts right before putting down the car

It is expensive but after you spend some time in it, you realise it is a very niche car for someone who has very specific needs. This is the reason it is sold out for this year.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 12:57   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It doesn't sink in cause this is a Hybrid vehicle with 2 electric motors front and back. The front electric motor can give 140BHP and the rear can provide 67BHP.
I had completely forgotten about the hybrid aspect and the higher combined figure. Thanks. Yes it does makes much more sense now.

Most Viewed