Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Radical design change required in BMW? At-least a change in their kidney grille?
Yes 184 51.40%
No 174 48.60%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2020, 13:48   #16
BANNED

Re: BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?

Why all cars from a manufacturer should have a similar grill / look? Each car should have its own identity in terms of looks. A manufacturer's identity should be the quality, fit, finish, safety, attention to details, etc.

The most boring thing about BMW is its kidney styled grill.

And, why are they so obsessed with kidney? Why can't they use the 'design' of liver, heart or any other part of the body?
Old 26th April 2020, 15:59   #17
BHPian

I voted No. I really like the BMWs Grille. Except the 7 series and X7. It definitely gives it Road presence from your rear view mirror.

But the latest X7 grille looks ugly for majority folks of the car lovers.

The main reason why I believe it looks ugly because of those slim Headlamps. Maybe they could have designed a similar sized/bit smaller sized headlamps. But the ones on X7 just doesn’t suit the gigantic SUV.

But the ones on 3 series, 5 series etc just looks perfect.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:49. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Vasanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 16:52   #18
BANNED

None of my business, I'd say. First, there is nothing kidney in the shape of those grilles, dont know why some people are obsessed calling them that. Maybe some stupid journalist coined that term and its continuing ever since.

Unless one is a shareholder and a majority one at that, or a promoter, or a CEO, or a person who has authority at BMW to take decisions, who are you to tell them what they should and what they shouldn't do. Like their designs, have the money? Buy it. Else, there are thousands of other models without that design, buy those instead.

Its like telling Cadbury's that I dont like taste of your chocolate, it has that typical sweet taste for 50 years now, time to experiment with salty, pepper, or any other exciting taste.

Or for that matter telling Maruti Suzuki, i dont like F.E. focussed light builds of your models, try experimenting with tank like builds and superior quality.

Hello!! Who are you? Your market dont even contribute 1% to total worldwide sale figures of BMW.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:49. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Old 26th April 2020, 17:53   #19
GTB
BHPian

Voted for 'YES', considering the current Logo and Bigger Kidney Grille.

You wrote not only about BMW's newer bigger kidney grille, but also their new Logo. For every 10-13 years, BMW has been making changes to their Logo. New Ideas or there is always room for improvement and change is good. I am a fan of their logo from 1963- 1996.

Until 2018 or previous generation BMW's have great looking kidney grilles. I am particularly fan of current-generation M5(F90) and M2 competitions kidney grille. We might get bad looking grilles when they are in a big change. It takes a few years until they reach a better grille which suits all their portfolio. At the moment, BMW have various designs of kidney grilles on their complete portfolio. Some are with older designs, some with current-generation design and M4 or 4-series with newer kidney-grille.

I believe, I read on Team-BHP that bigger kidney grilles on 7 Series, X7 and x5 are developed particularly keeping Asian markets in mind. Be it moving from rear-wheel-drive architecture to front-wheel-drive architecture and making bigger kidney-grilles is to make good revenue. If these changes bring good revenue to their table, BMW will be happier to do it again.

Here are some of BMW previous Logos
Attached Thumbnails
BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-bmwlogo03.jpg  

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-bmwlogo02.jpg  

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-bmwlogo01.jpg  

GTB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 17:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Whether they change the design or not, it's their way of reminding Indians that they charge a kidney to buy and the other kidney to maintain your Beemer. That settled, I've voted NO, certain things shouldn't change.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 26th April 2020 at 18:01.
Durango Dude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 20:35   #21
BHPian

Voted for No, somethings just become more cherished with age like Royal Enfield motorcylces.
Old 26th April 2020, 20:53   #22
BHPian

Call me old school, but the kidney grille is what defines a BMW, I would hate to see one without this grille. There are lots of things that can be changed to get ahead of the competition, without changing the iconic grille design and of course, the logo .
I just love this face
Attached Thumbnails
BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-img_20200426_203730.jpg  

Last edited by pyrodrive : 26th April 2020 at 20:55.
pyrodrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 08:41   #23

Voted yes, the newer grilles don't go well with the other design elements of a BMW.

Front grille is such an important attraction element of any car. I feel the Designers at BMW have gone overboard with one and need to tone it down.

For me these grilles also reveal a lot of whats behind the grille, not classy at all.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:50. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Old 27th April 2020, 08:42   #24
BHPian

I voted 'yes'. My opinion is just limited to 'size of the grills'.

While it's a completely subjective opinion, I really hate the gigantic (kidney) grills on the X5, X7 and the 7 series. I liked the sleeker grills of the 5 series and the 8 series.
Old 28th April 2020, 10:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

I like the way Mercedes radiator grill design evolved over time. As far as BMW keeps it proportionate to the overall car design, I think people will like it.

Example:
Pics - NetCarShow.com
Attached Thumbnails
BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-bmwi4_concept2020102408.jpg  

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-bmwi8_roadster_ukversion201910241c.jpg  

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-bmwx12020102476.jpg  

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-bmwz42019102477.jpg  

HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 12:37   #26
BHPian

I sometimes feel for the job of the car designer, as equally, the car manufacturer. No matter what they do, there will always be a portion of the diaspora that they antagonise, or leave dissatisfied. I have seen people in this thread have an issue with the sales of certain cars, that were blockbusters in their own right, simply because they have an opinion on the styling of said car!

Responded to the poll with a resounding 'No' because evolution and change are inevitable, but not for the sake of it! Cheers
Old 7th May 2020, 14:10   #27
BHPian

The Chinese love big grills and everyone and their uncles will design cars with big grills presently. Why pick on BMW, look at Hyundai or Toyota for instance.
Old 7th May 2020, 17:54   #28
BHPian

Sorry to be blunt but the new grill seems to be inspired from a pair of women's breasts complete with cleavage.

Terrible and stupid design, hope this trend dies
Old 7th May 2020, 21:28   #29
BHPian

Kidney grille is iconic with BMW. Why a radical change and brand dilution? But I really hope they go back to more elegant and proportional grilles rathan the current oversized disproportionately large overlapping kidney grilles.

Btw millennials are anyone born between early 1980s and early 1990s. So millennials are already in the market

Last edited by rageshgr : 7th May 2020 at 21:35.
Old 7th May 2020, 22:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Voted No.

Don't fix what is not broken. Kidney grills are to BMW what horns are to Rhino. Why make a Rhino look like a Hippo

By the way here is my 2019 X3 (G01).

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-img_20200410_121614.jpg

I like this wide end to end grin... err, grill. It reminds me of Banzai below. Imagine Banzai w/o his teeth. It gives him his identity, playful, wicked and ferocious!

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-banzai.jpg

Cheers,
-BJ
bj96 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks