Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Radical design change required in BMW? At-least a change in their kidney grille?
Yes 184 51.40%
No 174 48.60%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2020, 20:23   #31
BHPian

Re: BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?

The BMW kidney grille is very iconic and is definitely a very nice and distinguishing feature but IMHO it’s not the kidney grille that needs a change but the trend of making them bigger and bigger needs to go. The NEw 7 series looks really bad when compared to the previous generations that looked rather tasteful and majestic when compared to the new one with a grossly oversized kidney grille design!

Getting rid of a BMW staple like that is definitely not on the cards for BMW and a lot of people love it.

It just needs to be implemented differently.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:50. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Old 24th May 2020, 09:35   #32
BHPian

I had voted no. I have always loved the kidney grills.

But, I want to change my opinion on this. They are going crazy with the grills. They look ridiculous. They need to change back to sensible sizes. I have no idea why BMW keep doing this to themselves when things are going great. They had recovered from the Chris Bangle debacle well I thought. Until this!

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-screen-shot-20200524-9.30.41-am.png
The new 7 looks ridiculous in my opinion!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:50. Reason: Spacing
Old 31st May 2020, 22:32   #33
BHPian

The 4 series https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/02/06/b...anything-else/

THIS is absolutely ridiculous and BMW is definitely going over the top with the big kidney grills.
bas karoo yaar

but look at this Jaguars have a pretty understated yet classy design, Yes , the XJ has a FAT REAR but their cars although stylish and iconic, in my opinion don't sway too far from the accepted and much loved designs. a.k.a NOT BOLD.
and maybe that's the reason Jaguars are not as commonly seen as the most stylish cars, where BMW has a totally different approach by being a little bold and people talk about them as a result.
just my two paise.
Old 23rd July 2020, 14:13   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Mass production of some components such as the new grill begins for the BMW iNext!

Shows its new grill.

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-p90393455highresstartofproduction.jpg

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-p90394310highresstartofproduction.jpg

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-p90393449highresstartofproduction.jpg

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-p90393457highresstartofproduction.jpg

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-p90393459highresstartofproduction.jpg

Source:BMW
Old 23rd July 2020, 23:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

I think the kidney's got bigger commensurate with the price of the car that was going through the roof to remind the buyer that he may have to sell his kidney's for getting one! That's just an aside.
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 13:50   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW Head of Design:

“Sometimes design icons need to change"

“Some products – being cars or other physical items – are best experienced in person,” said Herr Dukec during an online meeting. “And we believe that customers will have a different opinion of the new kidney grille when they see the new M3/M4 in real life,”

Quote:
In Summer 2020, BMW unveiled the 4 Series Coupe, a previously popular model, but quite controversial with the new design language. Of course, the controversy can be attributed mostly to the oversized kidney grille.

A few months later, BMW delivered another new product: the G80 M3 and G82 M4. And as we expected, the bread-and-butter models of the M family featured a similar oversized kidney grille. And customers’ feedback through online mediums has been quite brutal.

Whether this new design language is successful, remains to be seen. But a couple of things are certain. Firstly, BMW truly believes in this new approach and customers’ embracement of it. Secondly, the large kidney grille won’t trickle down to other BMW products, only to selective model lines based on that customer base and fit.

Link
Old 17th November 2021, 22:31   #37
Team-BHP Support

Looks like BMW designers are looking at even larger grille designs for the electric era.

The XM concept teaser previews a massive kidney grille, "displaying the front end design of the new BMW luxury class"

BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-bmwmpost2021_11_17_19_31.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 18:58   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW’s giant-grille Tokyo Auto Salon booth: Not Big Enough?

Quote:
BMW is making its biggest grilles yet just to piss off everyone who hates good taste.
Mind you, this set of grilles won’t come attached to a car. That’s because these engorged kidneys are parts of something so massive that BMW can park multiple cars inside it. I’m talking about the Bavarian marque’s 2023 Tokyo Auto Salon booth, which is interesting, as BMW has bowed out of several international auto shows recently. There was no official BMW booth in Los Angeles this year, nor was there one in Detroit.
Mind you, it’s likely because BMW Japan plans to unveil something at Tokyo Auto Salon; your guess is as good as mine on what that something is.
Quote:
can see from BMW’s render, it looks like it should accommodate multiple cars, and the giant grilles feature some neat Easter Eggs. Not only is there an M3 Competition emblem on the upper right slat, the right grille appears to feature a giant parking sensor. More importantly, this big-grilled booth makes a statement, and that statement is “y’all can suck it; this is who we are now.”
BMW and the Kidney grille - Is a radical design change needed?-bmwtokyoautosalontopshot.jpg

Link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks