Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2007, 18:34   #16
Team-BHP Support

However being a 5+ seater and if priced less than an Innova, it will have a good taxi market
Old 11th March 2007, 20:34   #17
BHPian

Indian market now has come out of the age and I feel that now families wants a Van where they can travel long distance in sheer comfort (e.g 7 seat configuration with 4 captain seat) and together in one vehicle. Right now Innova is the only choice ( I'm openion that Sumo, Scorpio etc don't qualify in my above mentioned requirement.). These families would surely go for Van if it's available at Sedan price and it could give a good competetion to Innova.

I've seen collegues and relatives buying petrol as well as Diesel Innova for the same reason. At 6 Lakh ex. show room price tag if available in Diesel, I might go for one such vehicle.

Last edited by nispatel : 11th March 2007 at 20:35.
Old 11th March 2007, 20:40   #18
BHPian

It seems some members are confusing Van with Estate. Estate provides more room but don't actually add to more number of seats where as Van actually add more number of seats making it suitable for the requirement for an upper middle class or a rich family. Van is very successful in US in families as their second car for the same reason.
Old 7th April 2008, 22:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

New look MCV

The new look MCV, based on the Sandero. Lets hope Mahindra-Renault launches this one!

(p.s. sorry, don't remember the source where I saved this pic from)
Attached Thumbnails
The renault logan MCV/MPV-Who is most likely to buy one?-8hko9jqn5b15d.jpg  

Old 7th April 2008, 22:51   #20
BHPian

I think I will buy one for my long distance travel needs with full family and luggage. If it comes in Diesel and around 6-7L why not? I do not like the real looks of this one, but surely consider one in this segment.
Old 27th November 2009, 01:20   #21

Why Mahindras would not bring in Logan MCV?

Can you imagine, why would Mahindras would not bring in the "Best selling Logan" in Europe to India?
Attached Thumbnails
The renault logan MCV/MPV-Who is most likely to buy one?-mcv33.jpg  

The renault logan MCV/MPV-Who is most likely to buy one?-mcv38.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th November 2009 at 09:22. Reason: Please use search before opening a new thread, Thanks
Old 27th November 2009, 10:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Because Mahindra is working on a compact SUV already. This would jeoperdize their plan of launching that. Add to that the "sweet-sour" relationship the partners are having.

Sometimes I feel that Mahindra and Renault had a one night stand and Logan was born. Neither Mahindra cares for it nor Renault! A good product killed by step motherly treatment and exhorbitant prices
Old 27th November 2009, 13:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Very true. Even I was waiting for this MPV to come but it never did. Had it come I would have bought it but seeing how the marriage is falling apart between Renault and Mahindra I am glad I bought my Marina. But this thing might have just clicked had it been priced right and brought in about 6 months from the Logan.
Old 27th November 2009, 13:58   #24
BHPian

my next target is definately a MPV in the sub 8-9L segment. if this is the vehicle then i will consider it.
Old 27th November 2009, 14:13   #25
BHPian

The key here is pricing. Logan was a flop, not because of looks/interiors/brand etc, there are plenty of such cars that are super-hits in India.

The problem was that they got greedy and tried to price it out of it's league. It should have been priced competitive the old Indigo, with pricing of it's lower variants in the same range of upper variants of budget hatches.

If they price and market their car properly, even now they have a market, though they have lost a lot of credibility.
Old 27th November 2009, 14:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
However being a 5+ seater and if priced less than an Innova, it will have a good taxi market
Exactly! It'll be slightly more expensive than the Logan but much more practical for taxi companies. The Logan has proved itself so there won't be any issues regarding reliability from a taxi company point of view. And it is more advanced than the Sumo/Tavera category.

Btw, since some have mentioned estates, they do go down well in the taxi market. The Indigo Marina serves the Meru operators in Bangalore along with the Logan.
Old 27th November 2009, 14:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post

Sometimes I feel that Mahindra and Renault had a one night stand and Logan was born. Neither Mahindra cares for it nor Renault! A good product killed by step motherly treatment and exhorbitant prices
Actually Renault had the Logan from a previous marriage
Mahindra and Renault did have the one night stand, the poor kid Logan is now suffering.

In my view Mahindra probably hoped to get more out of the collab with Renault and Nissan, but the French probably developed cold feet and now nobody wants to find a cure.

The last gen Clio with some makeup was something they could have introduced at a real cheap price along with the Logan.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Neither.

Nothing less than a Renault Megane will satisfy me. Logan in any form is pretty crappy looking and low on the style quotient for this day and age.
Old 27th November 2009, 15:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeew View Post
Can you imagine, why would Mahindras would not bring in the "Best selling Logan" in Europe to India?
The xylo sales would take a hit.
Old 27th November 2009, 16:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
The xylo sales would take a hit.
I think we have it up on ACI's website that toyota has definite plans for the Avanza in India.If Mahindra-Renault have a more powerfuldiesel engine , and raise the ground clearance it would be a credible MPV.It could probably eat the Avanza's marketshare and prevent it having a total monopoly.Indians may not like estates but the fact that it can seat three more people is a big plus point.No estate in India comes factory fitted with a third row of seats. I don't count the current MPVs/MUVs as estates.IMO one more reason why the logan failed is that the diesel engine did'nt have all the right stats.65 bhp looks low for a slightly aware buyer.But give it to the car,it is a capable machine.

Most Viewed