Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2020, 17:23   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Pics: Suzuki Swift Sport caught in India!

Spotted at Delhi airport:

Pics: Suzuki Swift Sport caught in India!-img20200404wa0027.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 14:37   #2
BANNED

Suzuki Swift Sport Spied in India – At the Import Section of Airport

Pics: Suzuki Swift Sport caught in India!-2020marutisuzukiswiftsportspiednew2.jpg
Pics: Suzuki Swift Sport caught in India!-2020marutisuzukiswiftsportspiednew1.jpg
Quote:
Maruti Suzuki may not appreciate performance-focused or extra-premium products in its portfolio, owing to the brand’s history of failures with similar examples. The Maruti Suzuki Baleno RS, which was somewhat of a “hot hatch” in Indian standards, was recently discontinued. In other words, it won’t be getting a BS6 update like its regular avatar. Hence, Maruti Suzuki currently has a range of normal products that pack just enough to satisfy its target customer base (which is huge).

Now, an undisguised Suzuki Swift Sport has been spotted at Indira Gandhi International airport, New Delhi. While this may not suggest an impending launch, it certainly raises some interest as to why it was flown down to the country. A possible explanation is ‘homologation’ as many brands (including Maruti Suzuki) have brought down some interesting products from overseas for various testing purposes, over the years. This ranges from regular hatchbacks to even supercars.

The Suzuki Swift Sport is based on the Japanese brand’s popular HEARTECT platform but focused on dynamics and handling. At the heart of the matter is a 1.4-litre four-cylinder Boosterjet turbo petrol motor that makes 138bhp @ 5,500rpm and 230Nm @ 2,500-3,500rpm. This is mated to a 6-speed transmission that drives the front wheels. Put together, the hot hatch can do 100km/h from a standstill in about 8 seconds. Its top speed is limited to an impressive 210km/h. Given the hatchback’s focus, Maruti Suzuki could have introduced it much earlier (as a limited model) during the Volkswagen GTi days. Even though it seems a stretch, many consider the Suzuki Swift Sport as an excellent affordable alternative to the likes of a MINI Cooper 3-door.
wheelguy is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 20:35   #3

Re: Pics: Suzuki Swift Sport caught in India!

I highly doubt whether it'll be launched in India. There's too much factors riding against suzuki to launch it in India, at least in the 1.4 Boosterjet avatar. The baleno RS with its 1L Boosterjet already costed significantly more than the regular baleno 1.2 Alpha. The 1.4 L might also need to be imported and it can't avail excise duty benefits whether imported Or assembled here. This will shoot it's price north of 10 lakhs ex - showroom.

Although there might be reasons for us petrolheads to be excited if suzuki decides for a stunt like the S- Cross 1.6 ( yes I know it didn't end well, but just daydreaming) . Or if Suzuki is contemplating to assemble the 1.4 Boosterjet here for the Indian Jimny as well!
BLUEK12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 21:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Can they not bring it under the 2500 rule? Makes a lot of sense to test the waters with that and then figure if they want to launch or not. Makes a strong case for the Swift brand IMO.

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2020 at 07:11. Reason: No SMS language please (e.g. wanna)
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 23:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEK12 View Post
I highly doubt whether it'll be launched in India. There's too much factors riding against suzuki to launch it in India, at least in the 1.4 Boosterjet avatar. The baleno RS with its 1L Boosterjet already costed significantly more than the regular baleno 1.2 Alpha. The 1.4 L might also need to be imported and it can't avail excise duty benefits whether imported Or assembled here. This will shoot it's price north of 10 lakhs ex - showroom.

Although there might be reasons for us petrolheads to be excited if suzuki decides for a stunt like the S- Cross 1.6 ( yes I know it didn't end well, but just daydreaming) . Or if Suzuki is contemplating to assemble the 1.4 Boosterjet here for the Indian Jimny as well!
They might be testing the 1.4 turbo in indian conditions. They need that to take on seltos and creta with their new suv under development.
Old 6th April 2020, 23:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

I'd love to see the car launched in India. The Swift (although good with the 1.2), is simply outclassed by many rivals. What will the price be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEK12 View Post
The baleno RS with its 1L Boosterjet already costed significantly more than the regular baleno 1.2 Alpha.
Well, I fault Maruti's product planning and engineering. The 1.0 was pretty good engine (if not excellent) and could have been localized if the planned to use it in the Vitara Brezza, S-Cross, Ciaz, Baleno, and a Swift Sport. I'd say Maruti missed the opportunity. Look at Hyundai- the 1.0 is in the Grand i10, Aura, Venue, and the Verna.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 00:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I'd love to see the car launched in India. The Swift (although good with the 1.2), is simply outclassed by many rivals.
I believe Maruti was right not to plonk the 1L boosterjet into Brezza and it's cousins. It would have been impossible to pair with the 4 speed TC they're currently employing. Hyundai's DCT is what makes the 1.0L mill look good. The reliability of these DCTs are to be seen. That's another problem. I highly doubt whether Suzuki will employ DCTs on their vehicles. After all, even Volkswagen has given up DSGs on their volume models.

And I don't think the Swift's 1.2 is outclassed. It's just that the Swift has lost its special touch. I've always felt it's the new, less involving steering setup and the flimsy looking body panels which ruined the current generation swift.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 9th April 2020 at 17:49. Reason: Grammatical mistakes. Thanks.
BLUEK12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 03:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Can they not bring it under the 2500 rule? Makes a lot of sense to test the waters with that and then figure if they wanna launch or not. Makes a strong case for the Swift brand IMO.
Rumor has it that this is exactly what MSIL is contemplating. And if it's true, it's great news for auto enthusiasts in the country!

Finally, a proper premium performance product from Maruti Suzuki! (Sorry, the Baleno BoosterJet does not count - the naturally aspirated 1.2 was more fun to drive than the 1 liter BoosterJet in my opinion)

The Swift Sport also enjoys good aftermarket support, for those who may be interested in making it their "own". Forge UK has a brilliant intake/induction kit for this car, not to mention a plethora of other parts like intercooler upgrades and whathaveyou. There are some good exhaust options available too. A simple flash tune can see the car making Laura 1.8 TSI like numbers. Imagine that in a car that weighs less than 1000 kilos!

Pricing is going to be key, though. If they are going to try out the 2500 units scheme, prices would be fairly reasonable, going by how VW has priced the T-Roc. However, anything above 15 lakh, and it may not sell I'm afraid.

Fingers crossed for this one!
suhaas307 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 05:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maybe Suzuki will homologate those wheels and send the rest of the car back to Japan.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 08:40   #10
BANNED

1,4l turbo petrol motor + a light hatchback + 6 speed manual transmisison.

Even if this thing costs 11.49 lac ex showroom, it's still a steal. Just look at the fun per rupee factor that this baby Suzuki will bring with itself, secondly it will be the European Swift and not the tailor made Indian version.

All one needs is a simple remap and change the tyres from 17 to 16 inchers
Old 7th April 2020, 08:48   #11
Team-BHP Support

Even as a CBU it will be a good addition to the Indian car scene. And unlike other 'made in/for India' Suzuki models, this one is pretty high on safety standards as well. A good buy, especially if priced around 15 lakhs on-road.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 10:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Swift Sport has always been my dream attainable performance hot hatch, and I even wrote to Maruti a few times beseeching them to get it to our shores! Needless to say, nothing came of it other than a few automated replies and I resigned myself to never seeing this on Indian roads. Pretty sure that the situation remains the same and this car has ben brought for some other specific purpose, not to have it launched in our country. Sigh.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 12:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Even as a CBU it will be a good addition to the Indian car scene. And unlike other 'made in/for India' Suzuki models, this one is pretty high on safety standards as well. A good buy, especially if priced around 15 lakhs on-road.
I'm not sure, but I thought The Swift Sport was manufactured in India and exported. So would it really be a CBU??
Old 7th April 2020, 13:50   #14
BHPian

This might be brought as a test mule to gauge the public response as well as test the 1.4L boosterjet. Who knows they might think about plonking the 1.4 boosterjet in Scross and Brezza? Or maybe in the Creta rivalling SUV they are jointly developing with Toyota?
Old 7th April 2020, 14:02   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Can they not bring it under the 2500 rule?
The 2500-unit rule will exempt it from homologation formalities, but not import taxes. That could result in a price tag of 17 - 20 lakhs. No one will buy a Swift at that price, no matter what's under the hood.

I sure hope Maruti plans to add a sporty variant to the Swift (locally-built).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I'm not sure, but I thought The Swift Sport was manufactured in India and exported.
Where did you get that news? Nope, the Swift Sport isn't built in India.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks