Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2020, 12:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio BS6 details updated on official website

BS6 Mahindra Scorpio launched at Rs. 12.40 lakh

Mahindra has updated the prices for the BS6 Scorpio on its website. The car is priced from Rs. 12.40 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Mahindra Scorpio BS6 details updated on official website-scorpio.jpg

The Scorpio BS6 is available in four variants - S5, S7, S9 and S11. The base S3 and the AWD variants have been discontinued.

Powering the Scorpio is a 2.2-litre diesel engine producing 140 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and 320 Nm @ 1,500-2,800 rpm. The engine is paired to a 6-speed manual gearbox. Mahindra has discontinued the 2.5-litre diesel engine and the 120 BHP, 2.2-litre diesel. The SUV is no longer available with a 5-speed manual gearbox either.

Variant-wise prices (ex-showroom, Delhi):

S5 - Rs. 12,39,999

S7 - Rs. 14,20,998

S9 - Rs. 14,83,999

S11 - Rs. 15,99,998

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 12:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Maybe people accept a low (<10) kmpl giving petrol engine in a Compass, Hector & European imported SUVs. But I don't think the customers can digest a Tata/Mahindra SUV giving 7-8 KMPL. These two make very heavy SUVs. No way a petrol engine is going to delivery any good mileage even with TGDI. Even if they offer petrol - nobody will probably buy it (And Mahindra & Tata both have tried and miserably failed in their flagship SUVs with petrol option in India). It must have been a simple decision for the bean counters to shelve the petrol powerplants for now in these cars.
Yeah, but the good thing about petrol engines is that the powertrain is way lighter than with the BS6 (DOC+DPF+SCR+DEF tank) and cost of acquisition is way less. Also the maintenance cost+hassle will be higher in BS6 diesels. Some diesels are also getting LNT instead of SCR. I've seen quite a few euro and US forums wherever people were not exactly having the time of their lives DIYing DPF cleaning etc. And this is when they have dedicated garages.

Last edited by ds.raikkonen : 29th April 2020 at 12:57.
Old 29th April 2020, 13:56   #18
BHPian

On road prices of the BS6 Scorpio in Bengaluru,Karnataka are as follows:

S5 - Rs. 15,86,000
S7 - Rs. 17,68,000
S9 - Rs. 18,42,000
S11 - Rs. 19,85,000
Honestly I don't know why a customer spending close to 20lacs will choose the dated Scorpio especially when when there's a sophisticated car(XUV5OO) is standing next to the scorpio in the showroom. W9 variant of the XUV5OO hardly costs 20k more and offers a lot more kit like the Sunroof, DRL,Keyless entry with start/Stop button and bigger infotainment screen as well.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 04:13   #19
BHPian

Can somebody explain why the makers are opting out of AWD/4WD models to make them BS6 compliant? Is it just cost or is there anything else in play here?. XUV500 and Scorpio seem not to offer AWD/4WD versions anymore.
Old 30th April 2020, 10:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahilrai166 View Post
On road prices of the BS6 Scorpio in Bengaluru,Karnataka are as follows:

Honestly I don't know why a customer spending close to 20lacs will choose the dated Scorpio especially when when there's a sophisticated car(XUV5OO) is standing next to the scorpio in the showroom. W9 variant of the XUV5OO hardly costs 20k more and offers a lot more kit like the Sunroof, DRL,Keyless entry with start/Stop button and bigger infotainment screen as well.
It shows still there are people who appreciate old school ladder frame boxy SUV designs over rounded modern monocoques.
Old 30th April 2020, 10:23   #21
BHPian

My boss of 50 wants to buy this old horse and no matter the amount of gayan is given by us he just wants the top end Scorpio BS6. BTW He was using a 2015 Scorpio till date and sold it just a few weeks ago.

What does this have that a XUV500 does not I may never know. With highways getting better and faster I don't think a box like car is the best thing to traverse these roads.
ajaiD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 10:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
My boss of 50 wants to buy this old horse and no matter the amount of gayan is given by us he just wants the top end Scorpio BS6. BTW He was using a 2015 Scorpio till date and sold it just a few weeks ago.

What does this have that a XUV500 does not I may never know. With highways getting better and faster I don't think a box like car is the best thing to traverse these roads.
Has he actually taken the trouble of a test drive of at least the other Mahindra offerings? The Scorpio is terrible terrible on broken roads!!! I drove one 2yrs ago from Pune to my native place in Nanded via some hinterlands and it was the most unpleasant driving experience of my life.
But some people get fixated and then it doesn't make sense to spend time explaining the better alternatives. But 20lacs is a lot of money and opens up all kinds of possibilities so wonder why he wants to throw it away on a car that isn't exactly 50s friendly

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 30th April 2020 at 10:46.
Old 30th April 2020, 11:07   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahilrai166 View Post
For some reason, there are people such as myself who cannot digest a softroader. While the XUV 500 is a highway beast, I could live with the straight line cruisability that the Scorpio offers. All I have to do in my boxy TUV is to maintain sedate speeds.

For this trade-off, I get to have total peace of mind when going anywhere. Broken back-roads in the city's outskirts to avoid traffic, non-existent hill-roads, rural roads and what have you. Besides, an OEM would need to pay me money to acquire a car with a sunroof, DRL, Keyless entry, infotainment screen etc., if the car doesn't have proper bad road ability.

Over the course of idle chit-chat with Mahindra service personnel during my scheduled service visits, I've learned that the Bolero, Thar, Scorpio and the TUV are the truly tough vehicles that Mahindra offers. They told me that where the Scorpio or the TUV can be driven on bad roads at a decent speed all the time, an XUV 500 would fall apart, period.

Of course, 20 lacs for any car doesn't make sense to me. So I made do with the smaller TUV 300, even though I did evaluate the Scorpio back in the day...and if only the Thar or Bolero were a tad more civil, they would be in my consideration set as well.
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 12:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post

I am 34; currently driving S10 AT. I have driven XUV on our so called highways but it is no where near a Scorpio. I do Delhi - Jammu - Delhi in 1 day and the sheer strudy-ness of Scorpio cannot be explained. Scorpio can jump over dividers in case of everlasting jams(not that I am endorsing it), it can do things which can only be seen. For me, it is Scorpio even if costs more than XUV. Scorpio makes much more sense for someone who is traveling regularly on highways. XUV is safer, no doubt about it, but a proper ladder frame is much more abuse tolerant and sturdy.
purohitanuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 08:07   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Scorpio S3+ variant to launch soon in 7 seater and 9 seater layouts.

Mahindra Scorpio BS6 details updated on official website-0293ca61773042298ac1d2baf2a724da.jpeg
Old 12th February 2021, 11:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

2021 Mahindra Scorpio S3+ variant launched, priced at Rs. 11.99 Lakhs. It does get customers dual front airbags, ABS, panic brake indication, seat belt reminder and speed alert systems.

Mahindra Scorpio BS6 details updated on official website-smartselect_20210212113738_chrome.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th February 2021 at 11:41.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac View Post
Can somebody explain why the makers are opting out of AWD/4WD models to make them BS6 compliant? Is it just cost or is there anything else in play here?. XUV500 and Scorpio seem not to offer AWD/4WD versions anymore.
Simply due to lack of demand. Dealers don't want to stock these variants and the prices do not justify a built to order option.

The 4x4 versions are still being exported though and available for fleet buyers.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 13:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Scorpio S3+ variant to launch soon in 7 seater and 9 seater layouts.

Attachment 2120813
Wondering, how they are going to accommodate 9 passengers in an SUV of 4456mm length. Will it not be cramped?

Last edited by Sreejith V : 12th February 2021 at 13:10.
Sreejith V is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 13:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreejith V View Post
Wondering, how they are going to accommodate 9 passengers in an SUV of 4456mm length. Will it not be cramped?
Of course cramped and depends on who is going to sit there. The third row opposite facing seats becomes a little wider, which is what makes it a 9 seater.

9 seater option is not something new in Scorpio. It has been there for the previous base variant S5 as well. Wondering why not just call S3. What is it with the "+".

Looks like smartly introduced ahead of new Scorpio launch to make appear current generation indeed starts from that 11.99L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
How are they saving money by detuning it when they had the 140hp engine ready just waiting to be plonked in lower variant?
That is probably to lure the prospective buyers of higher variants. To infuse a feel good factor in them for paying the premium over the base variant. Otherwise you can always buy a base variant and upgrade most other bells and whistles and convert it to a higher variant, which might still be cheaper than the company pricing. Of course, it is a pain, but doable.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 12th February 2021 at 14:04.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 13:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

I understand the cost cutting done by removing features but can someone explain to me the reduction in engine output. How are they saving money by detuning it when they had the 140hp engine ready just waiting to be plonked in lower variant?

Most Viewed