Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2020, 03:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota to launch low-spec Yaris for fleet & taxi segment

The Yaris, even if it sells 1 lakh cheaper on-road than the ex-showroom prices of Ciaz, Verna & City; I still wouldn't buy it. What a boring car to look at, and drive.

Personal opinion (Owners do not be offended)

But yes, fleet operators have a lot of faith in the T badge, and this might work for Toyota. I guess they might find more buyers this way.

Last edited by parrys : 11th April 2020 at 03:22.
parrys is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 07:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yaris cant be a flop in a market like India. This model is perfect for countries like ours. The Marketing folks at Toyota need to be fired for over-pricing it - they missed big time. Innova success doesnt mean they can apply the same for other models.

However, good to see they have actually priced Glanza cheaper than its sibling from MSIL! And killed Etios twins. These are good decisions. Expanding Yaris to fleet market makes sense to expand the base. Cabbies vouching for this could be the best thing to happen to Yaris! Its easily better built than Ciaz and cheaper to maintain - perhaps the upfront costs were deterring the sales to fleet)

Last edited by Equus : 11th April 2020 at 07:34.
Equus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 08:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Yaris doesn't 'enjoy' a premium image in the market - else it wouldn't have flopped!

This move towards the cab segment is only a late sign of desperation - not that it would be very effective without a diesel or factory CNG option!
Let’s not get overtly critical over the selection of words, what I meant was it has been positioned at a considerable premium over its rivals because of some features ( mainly 7 airbags, front parking sensors and 4 disk brakes) and I feel that my earlier post conveys the same with little room for ambiguity.

I never said that it’s “premium” image managed to make it successful.
Old 11th April 2020, 09:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

If you come to think of it, Toyota had done most things right with the Yaris. Two big game changers in the Car were 7 air bags as standard, an automatic option with every variant. Now, which car in the C segment has this? None!

However, I think two things that did not work for the car, one the initial premium pricing and second, no novelty factor like a fancy HU or a sun roof. I do not know why Toyota took the route of roof mounted AC which eliminated the sun roof. Personally, I find the sun roof useless in our country, especially urban areas, but this is a novelty that Indians love. And with regard to the HU, the Yaris did have some gesture control stuff, but more than that they just needed to plonk in a big fancy HU with android auto and apple car play.

Folks say that the car is also small compared to the Ciaz and the City. But so is the Verna. Hence the size should not be an issue for the car. Toyota can still get some of these things right. That is if they are not lazy.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 10:42   #20
Team-BHP Support

I'm wondering what they mean by low spec. The J (opt) variant is already low spec and priced at 8.76L ex showroom.

I checked the feature list and the J is already bare bones. It has AC, power steering, power windows and a few others which I think is what Toyota will remove for fleet:

1. Remove power windows
2. Change optitron cluster to basic one with lower grade MID
3. Remove driver seat height adjust
4. Remove keyless entry
5. Remove electric ORVM adjust
6. Remove 60:40 split folding seats to cheaper fixed seats

Other than the above, I can't see what else Toyota can remove from the J grade.

I reiterate that the Yaris was a wonderful product priced completely in no mans land by Toyota. I would have bought one to change my 10 year Corolla if it was priced on par with the Verna when launched.

Hyundai have now significantly upgraded the Verna with a new CVT+host of features which make even the VX version of the Yaris feel spartan. Inspite of this the Verna SX (O) 1.5L CVT is 40K lower than the Yaris CVT.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 11:01   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I'm wondering what they mean by low spec.
If I am not mistaken, commercial cars can qualify for lower GST and RTO. These will have speeds fixed till 80 km. So, No, Toyota is not going to sell anything that reduces their profits
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 11:01   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I still think Toyota must have worked on a BS6 low capacity diesel engine. No matter what they do with the Yaris, the 1.4L diesel engine of the Etios was still a solid, frugal, durable engine with superb driveability. It's not easy to convince taxi operators to switch to CNG considering its range, lack of boot space, lesser life and lack of nationwide availability. Even if they bring in this stripped down Yaris, I doubt it will catch the attention of the cabbies when you have BS6 diesels from the competition. But if it were a Yaris diesel, then that would be a true successor of the Etios.
Irrespective of whatever, I am not sure if taxi market for manufacturers would be as lucrative as before in the coming months.
Old 11th April 2020, 11:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

This is what they should have done when the Yaris was first launched. But IMHO that was their most logical step for the Yaris considering that it has no buyers in the premium segment. This will definitely help in its sales and fleet operators will be happy with a Toyota option for high milage operations.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 11:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Toyota, if you cannot get diesel Yaris, forget fleet operators. 1.5 mill in tight traffic will have serious drinking problem and there are cheaper diesel option already available- aspire/xcent. Sorry Toyota cheaper Yaris is not going to workout.
Old 11th April 2020, 11:53   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If I am not mistaken, commercial cars can qualify for lower GST and RTO. These will have speeds fixed till 80 km. So, No, Toyota is not going to sell anything that reduces their profits
From my limited knowledge, GST is the same for commercial vehicles. Since any car can be for fleet use, like Innova.

RTO tax on other hand is more for commercial vehicles atleast in Karnataka. Commercial cabs are 15% road tax whereas private vehicles have slabs from 13-18%. For a car between 5-10L ex showroom private RTO tax is 14% but commercial is 15%.

The GST benefit maybe for input tax credit which you are referring to. This I don't know if it can be availed.

My guess is they will strip the features I mentioned and price it at maybe 7.99L for the fleet variant.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 12:30   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
GST is the same for commercial vehicles.

RTO tax on other hand is more for commercial vehicles atleast in Karnataka. Commercial cabs are 15% road tax
Yes, ITC is available on such commercial cars & RTO is also lower, around 3-5 % here in North, but you have to get Yearly Inspection & some fees.

https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahan...show_tax.xhtml

If a manufacturer certifies any variant as commercial, it becomes easy to get this registered otherwise it's complicated, maybe that's the reason of having a Commercial variant.
Old 11th April 2020, 12:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

CNG/LPG takes away its boot space and rear seat space is just enough for 2 adults. These two are very important for fleet market.

Yaris is a very good car and is well put together comparing to City and Ciaz. I was looking for a petrol automatic car couple of years back and budget was strictly under 12 Lakhs. Yaris have few drawbacks but I found it better option comparing to the competition.

Base J variant had;
1.5 litre engine
CVT
7 airbags+ABS
Price: 9.9 Lakhs ex-show room
Built quality (comparing to City and Ciaz)

Only important features missing in base variant were rear defogger and speed sensing auto lock. I even sent an email to their marketing team to delete some features like shark fin antenna from base variant and add above two instead.

Etios: They could have upgraded interior of Etios like last update they did in its Brazil version and continued selling in India. They even have an automatic Etios version there.

Last edited by Latheesh : 11th April 2020 at 13:01.
Old 11th April 2020, 13:11   #28
BANNED

Why would a cab operator pay more money and buy a Yaris, when Dzire and the others in the segment does the job for them? Only a minority of cab owners will be looking at Yaris segment. What’s the usp of Yaris that would make can owners consider it?
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 13:49   #29
BHPian

Etios was selling around 2k units per month before it was phased out from Indian market.
Even if Yaris base variant is able to sell approximately 40-50% of what Etios used to sell, it will be a win win situation for Toyota as it will help to boost some numbers.
Old 11th April 2020, 14:01   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
The Yaris, even if it sells 1 lakh cheaper on-road than the ex-showroom prices of Ciaz, Verna & City; I still wouldn't buy it. What a boring car to look at, and drive.

Personal opinion (Owners do not be offended)

But yes, fleet operators have a lot of faith in the T badge, and this might work for Toyota. I guess they might find more buyers this way.
Absolutely! Don't remember any other launch recently that felt so outdated and boring, right from the first wave of reviews - exteriors, interiors, engine spec or features! Wouldn't have considered it even if it was priced slightly above the Etios. Safety in the entry levels variants was the ONLY redeeming factor for this car, IMHO!

Cabbies, especially down south, love the Toyota diesels! But - even they are apprehensive Toyota petrol motors (due to perceived lesser fuel efficiency). Even if a cabbie wants to shop from this segment - the much more spacious and cheaper Ciaz should make a lot more sense.

Perhaps, Toyota should try a rebadged Ciaz instead of flogging this dead horse!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th April 2020 at 14:03.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed