Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2020, 15:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota to launch low-spec Yaris for fleet & taxi segment

As some members here have commented that one can just buy a Maruti instead of a Toyota, most fleet operators and cab drivers I have spoken to all say just one thing, that a Toyota is way more durable and reliable and needs less maintenance than any equivalent Maruti which is a huge factor in their choice of a Toyota even though initial entry is a bit more expensive.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 16:05   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Absolutely! Don't remember any other launch recently that felt so outdated and boring, right from the first wave of reviews - exteriors, interiors, engine spec or features! Wouldn't have considered it even if it was priced slightly above the Etios. Safety in the entry levels variants was the ONLY redeeming factor for this car, IMHO!
Don't completely agree with you on this. Ajmat will also echo my thoughts. We had the Yaris for a week with us and the initial impression was boring and pointless.

After a few days you begin to appreciate that there's more under the skin rather than the superficial initial outlook.

The car feels way more solid than the Hyundai, Maruti and Honda. It is screwed together with a precision that you know that nothing is going to be out of place even after 10 years. You know it was built to last the lifetime. The doors thud like a european car.

The engine while not the most powerful was very peppy in low end (toyota trait) in the manual. The CVT tuning was not as sharp as the Honda City but it was smoother and less rubber bandy. It also gave a little more feel once you figured out how to drive it optimally.

The brakes were brilliant in the top end with all round discs. The suspension damping and tuning was almost like european taught. Ride quality was the best, high speed stability was fantastic and the car even cornered well.

Just check our official review and you will see how impressed we were with the mechanicals.

Toyota's greed on pricing is what killed a brilliant product. The car was smaller than a city, not as feature packed and design was plain jane. Charging 17L that too 10grand over the City was plain stupid.

The car had depth of engineering similar to the Corolla and for this segment it deserved to be priced between the Verna and City not above.
Vid6639 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 17:01   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
After a few days you begin to appreciate that there's more under the skin rather than the superficial initial outlook.

Just check our official review and you will see how impressed we were with the mechanicals.
I will echo your thoughts as well, I sat in one, door shut was leagues ahead of the tinny Etios, the fascia was well put together, the stitching even looked genuine.

More than pricing which was a big mistake to begin with but can somehow be justified due to their NVH control glass and build, their absolutely horrendous rear seat planning did them in. Who makes a space saving rear ventilation duct on the roof, yet has a front centre armrest that protrudes 60% into the rear middle seat legroom, which results in the front armrest becoming a stub and more of a marginal elbow rest?

That's so bad that even amateur car designers cannot make that mistake, leave alone done by Toyota, one of the most experienced in the game.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 18:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Is there any possibility of Toyota plonking 1.5L Suzuki diesel mill in Yaris? It might not be the best option, however engine as such is quite good and makes a better proposition to me.
Old 11th April 2020, 20:02   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
If Toyota just concentrated on Innova - fortuner and Maruti cars that will be the end of Toyota as a car purchase option for many people including me. If I wanted to buy a tin can Maruti I will buy a Maruti I will not buy a dressed up Maruti Toyota branded product. I am sure many are there like me who are very disappointed with Toyota trying to sell Maruti cars as their own. There will be no more reliability and good build quality just rattling Toyota's.
You too me too seriously there! My post was/is a rant. I was just venting out frustration at a world class car maker simply running the show by badge engineering Suzuki cars. I don't like them doing that at all. I'm just saying that since they are only interested in doing so, at least pull the plug on the Yaris rather than further devaluing the Toyota brand by selling it as a cab (which may also not sell due to petrol engine).
Old 11th April 2020, 20:17   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Yaris is another typical mechanically strong and perfect Toyota. I am a fan of Toyota engineered cars, but I just hate their marketing strategies.

Unfortunately this car was killed by its optimistic pricing and the late arrival to the already over saturated market. When the market was moving away from C-segment sedans to crossovers, Toyota launched this car with no diesel option and priced more than a petrol City! This car should have been launched at-least 5 years back with a proper pricing!

The snubbing Yaris got from the Indian market is what Toyota deserved.

Now the decision to introduce the Yaris to fleet operators will be another flop.

Let's think from the fleet operators perspective, why will I consider a Yaris petrol for my fleet instead of a Verna or City diesel!

Will Toyota give a factory fitted CNG/LPG kit? No.
Now if the fleet operators install this from outside, Toyota will void their warranty!

Instead converting the Etios petrol to BS6 and selling it to the fleet owners with a CNG/LPG kit at a much cheaper price would have been a better bet for them! Similar to what Maruti did, like naming the Dzire to Dzire Tour for fleet owners and keeping the newer Dzire for the private buyers.
Similarly Etios xxx for the cab owners and the Yaris for the private buyers. This would have even prevented the further more dilution of the Yaris image!

Last edited by Samba : 11th April 2020 at 20:22.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 21:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Now the decision to introduce the Yaris to fleet operators will be another flop.

Let's think from the fleet operators perspective, why will I consider a Yaris petrol for my fleet instead of a Verna or City diesel!

Will Toyota give a factory fitted CNG/LPG kit? No.
Now if the fleet operators install this from outside, Toyota will void their warranty!

Instead converting the Etios petrol to BS6 and selling it to the fleet owners with a CNG/LPG kit at a much cheaper price would have been a better bet for them! Similar to what Maruti did, like naming the Dzire to Dzire Tour for fleet owners and keeping the newer Dzire for the private buyers.
Similarly Etios xxx for the cab owners and the Yaris for the private buyers. This would have even prevented the further more dilution of the Yaris image!
True, this only seems logical.

Why aren't Honda cars taxis in our country yet? They're reliable Japanese vehicles too, and similar to most closely priced Toyota's. Honda A.S.S isn't too shabby either, so I don't get it?
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 21:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
True, this only seems logical.

Why aren't Honda cars taxis in our country yet? They're reliable Japanese vehicles too, and similar to most closely priced Toyota's. Honda A.S.S isn't too shabby either, so I don't get it?
Too expensive and no right product in their portfolio. Though I have seen ample Citys and Amazes with a yellow number plate.
Old 11th April 2020, 21:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Too expensive and no right product in their portfolio. Though I have seen ample Citys and Amazes with a yellow number plate.
Now thanks to Toyota digging a grave for themselves, Honda has its chances. But thanks to the COVID-19 situation, nothing's going to be done in a hurry any time soon.
Old 11th April 2020, 23:14   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
A lot of love for Toyota in the taxi market has come from the Innova, and it trickled down to the corolla & etios.
The Etios was favoured over the Amaze due to the better overall practicality (more space, boot, etc.), and the segment king Swift Dzire & xcent were equally popular too judging by numbers on road.
The corolla too was preferred over the civic (back in 2006-2012 too) and it would have been the pick even now thanks to the practicality on offer + availability of a base entry level trim.

The Yaris IMO lacks the practical aspect that made the other models so popular. It will serve the private taxi market users primarily who prefer the honda city for its space and brand image; or the ertiga / ciaz which are very compelling choices as well.

I'm going to miss the etios & corolla taxis - these would always be our pick whenever renting taxis whilst outstation.
lamborghini is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 10:38   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Toyota to launch low-spec Yaris for fleet & taxi segment. EDIT: With CNG too (page 4)

While learned BHPians discuss the pros & cons, I would like to point out that there is hardly any flopped car that saw a reversal in fortunes once its cab-version was released. Any car is a hit or flop based on many fundamental reasons, and the taxi / fleet owner is usually more astute than even the private customer; he won't ignore the macro factors.

At best, a stripped-down Yaris will add a couple of sales to the model, but its not enough to turn a dud into one that'll bring in a smile to the finance department's face.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 10:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota to launch low-spec Yaris for fleet & taxi segment. EDIT: With CNG too (page 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
..Who makes a space saving rear ventilation duct on the roof, yet has a front centre armrest that protrudes 60% into the rear middle seat legroom, which results in the front armrest becoming a stub and more of a marginal elbow rest?

That's so bad that even amateur car designers cannot make that mistake, leave alone done by Toyota, one of the most experienced in the game.

This problem in old versions and current top versions can be solved by Delhi modification guys for about 10k, where some new part in installed and your existing arm rest is moved ahead. In non-top version of current model, there is no front arm rest, but just a bottle holder which frees up good space in the second row.
Old 13th April 2020, 11:11   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi folks, remember the taxi market is starved of good spacious reliable and chap sedan alternatives. Toyots Etios is out and so is Mahindra Verito. The Tata Indigo and Manza are long gone and so is the Ford Fiesta. The Tata Tigor and Ford Aspire are rather too small. The fleet operators alternatives are narrowing down rapidly, the Desire Tour being the mainstay.

Toyota may be able to seize a piece of this action with the low-spec, low-priced Yaris. The fleet operators and drivers will seize it for the reliability and possible higher yields on account of being a larger sedan/more comfort.
Old 13th April 2020, 11:47   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Toyota may be able to seize a piece of this action with the low-spec, low-priced Yaris. The fleet operators and drivers will seize it for the reliability and possible higher yields on account of being a larger sedan/more comfort.
Yaris is not spacious either. Rear bench is quite narrow and compared to Etios and Yaris feels claustrophobic. Boot space is below average. Where it shines is w.r.to build quality, it is among the best in segment which unfortunately is of least importance to taxi operators. Once Maruti launches 1.5L Diesel Ciaz, I have strong feeling that taxi market will love this.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 11:55   #45
BHPian

I fail to understand why would taxi segment want to buy this petrol only car? As far as I know, there is no diesel or cng model in the line up or expected anytime soon.
So why does Toyota want to even release this version?

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 13th April 2020 at 12:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks