Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2020, 10:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota to launch low-spec Yaris for fleet & taxi segment. EDIT: With CNG too (page 4)

According to a media report, Toyota is planning to launch a lower-spec Yaris for fleet operators.

Toyota to launch low-spec Yaris for fleet & taxi segment. EDIT: With CNG too (page 4)-2018toyotayaris01.jpg

The new fleet variant of the Yaris is expected to replace the Etios, which has now been discontinued. At present, the Yaris is available in four trim levels with the option of a CVT or manual transmission.

Even the base J Optional trim comes equipped with projector headlamps, power windows, height adjustable driver's seat, power adjustable ORVMs, rear seat armrest, cooled glovebox and 3 airbags. The fleet variant is likely to miss out on some of these features.

The Yaris is powered by a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that puts out 106 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 140 Nm of torque @ 4,200 rpm. Transmission options include a 6-speed manual and a 7-speed CVT with paddle shift. The report suggests that Toyota might introduce a CNG variant for fleet operators.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 11:09   #2
BHPian

re: Toyota to launch low-spec Yaris for fleet & taxi segment

Makes sense to replace the outgoing Etios which made a huge impact on the fleet segment back when Meru poularised radio cabs. Though with a petrol engine, best they can offer is a CNG variant which will be far cheaper to run.

Also, the current Etios vehicles running at various airports with Meru were not exactly new and most of them had severe issues with retro fit CNG kits. I can vividly recall stopping multiple times on the way home from the airport as the Etios had broken down due to some or the other issue. Based on my interaction with a dealer, even Hyundai was offering the Xcent Prime with vendor fit CNG kits (but they claimed it was factory fit). This is the primary reason why MSIL Tour range vehicles, especially the Tour S made much more sense for a commercial operator-reliable, factory fit CNG kit so safe, upgraded suspension to handle the weight of cylinders and handle well.
ds.raikkonen is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 11:09   #3
BHPian

I think for it to be successful, they should come out with factory fitted LPG/CNG kits.
I am not sure how many fleet owners will like to have petrol only cars because Etios for fleet was dominated by diesel variant.
arvindmanju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 17:40   #4
BHPian

The Honda City & Ciaz competitor now takes the place of Etios!

I am in agreement with the folks who believe Toyota has lost focus. All they are worried about is selling re-badged products and some of their top of the line products.
sudeepg is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 18:04   #5
BHPian

I wonder why they didn't decide to launch a minor facelift to Etios petrol and possibly a CNG kit and sell as taxi version? Both Yaris and Etios share the same engine so converting Etios engine to BS6 wouldn't have taken a significant investment. If they sell Yaris as taxi, that would be the last nail in the coffin for the already low selling Yaris. Neither is it cheap to own for taxi operators nor will it appeal to private buyers if it gets a taxi image.
Seriously, who is making these calls at TKM? That guy should come out of his hole and see what the Koreans are launching and learn from them! Its a shame to see such a capable car manufacturer making silly decisions (or no decisions at all!) when it comes to Indian market!
nagr22 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 18:06   #6
Team-BHP Support

Toyota's performance in India across segments is as different as chalk and cheese. While they have a stranglehold on two segments through Innova and Fortuner, they are embarrassingly pedestrian in everything else. How difficult should it be for one of the world's top 3 manufacturer to figure things out.

They seem to have instead chosen the easy way out and partnered with Suzuki. Not good for India as we'll lose out on their otherwise world class products.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 18:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
The Honda City & Ciaz competitor now takes the place of Etios!

I am in agreement with the folks who believe Toyota has lost focus. All they are worried about is selling re-badged products and some of their top of the line products.
My thoughts exactly when I read the headline. Toyota very egoistically priced the Yaris higher than City and entered the competition. The results are out and they have been reduced to convert the Yaris to the fleet segment.

Anyways, better late than never, if priced well, it can sell well. The Low Maintenance and Bullet Proof reliability of Toyota will woo the fleet segment for sure.
vsrivatsa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 18:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
I wonder why they didn't decide to launch a minor facelift to Etios petrol and possibly a CNG kit and sell as taxi version?
Etios is too old model to get a facelift and continue in business. The interiors look like from another era. It they want to continue in the market they should launch a new next generation Etios.

Quote:
If they sell Yaris as taxi, that would be the last nail in the coffin for the already low selling Yaris. Neither is it cheap to own for taxi operators nor will it appeal to private buyers if it gets a taxi image.
This is the only option left with Toyota now in case of Yaris. It's anyway a flop among private buyers, so why not introduce a CNG variant for the fleets and fill the space that will be left by Etios in the taxi segment. At least it will help them increase the sales figures of the already failed model.

However the best option for Toyota will be to reduce the price of Yaris and I'm sure it will be a success among private buyers.

Last edited by Flyer : 10th April 2020 at 18:20.
Old 10th April 2020, 18:33   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I really feel Toyota lost a golden opportunity to control further embarrassment. They should have quietly pulled the plug on the Yaris together with the Etios twins. Relegating this supposed executive-premium car into a taxi (taxi only!) role is just another stupid mistake like launching a petrol only variant in the first place - with that polarizing design language.

A CNG fitted Yaris = negligible boot space. That means the car can't be useful for airport / starred hotel ferry duties. That leaves basic corporate office hops & Uber-Ola type roles. How depressing.
Toyota should just stop this nonsense and focus purely on Innova-Fortuner + Maruti cars.
Reinhard is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 19:29   #10
BHPian

First of all, I think it a good move of Toyota's to replace the ageing Etios with the Yaris, BUT why scale down on the number of airbags? I didn't even realize the base J (o) variant came with just 3, instead of the 7 at launch time!?

They could have set a good example for other cab manufacturing companies to follow and promote safety but they deliberately chose not to, in the name of cost cutting. I'm not saying they were obligated to do it, but it would have been nice anyway.

For most people this would just be me nitpicking, though I'm not most people!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 20:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Toyota should just stop this nonsense and focus purely on Innova-Fortuner + Maruti cars.

If Toyota just concentrated on Innova - fortuner and Maruti cars that will be the end of Toyota as a car purchase option for many people including me. If I wanted to buy a tin can Maruti I will buy a Maruti I will not buy a dressed up Maruti Toyota branded product. I am sure many are there like me who are very disappointed with Toyota trying to sell Maruti cars as their own. There will be no more reliability and good build quality just rattling Toyota's.
M00M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 20:32   #12
BHPian

This move will surely help in increasing the sales of the Yaris but it might end up hurting the somewhat “premium” image it currently enjoys. ( I know that the Innova and Ertiga manage to do both but then there are exceptions)

Also it might not be able to be as successful as Etios in the taxi segment because -
1) It has smaller boot space and is less roomy in the back seat when compared to Etios
2)In almost all certainty, it’ll be considerably expensive than the Etios
Shashwat.75 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 22:44   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashwat.75 View Post
But it might end up hurting the somewhat “premium” image it currently enjoys.
Yaris doesn't 'enjoy' a premium image in the market - else it wouldn't have flopped!

This move towards the cab segment is only a late sign of desperation - not that it would be very effective without a diesel or factory CNG option!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 00:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ain't no cabbie buying an expensive, cramped petrol sedan and fit an LPG kit. Expect to see many Ford Aspires to be new favorite since MSIL doesn't have the diesel. My friend recently bought a Aspire Titanium+ diesel over a Yaris for his personal use. (As you can guess- 6 airbags was non negotiable)
Sidenote: If Toyota is so lazy, they should have just launched a re-badged Dzire and Ciaz.
landcruiser123 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 01:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I mean why? Just discontinue this dud too and be done with it.

Change the badges on Ertiga, WagonR, Dzire Tour and sell them to fleet owners instead.

Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed