Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2007, 17:13   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The Ikon, inspite of its age, is still fresh looking. But for the higher maintenance costs, its far more desirable than the Esteem - which I'm surprised has not attracted any thoughts in this thread.
my sentiments exactly. at least for me, if I compare the Esteem and the Ikon, the Esteem comes across as an old and dated car, but the Ikon only feels like a car that has been superceded by a higher model. i guess its individual perception.

but i think it does offer very good value for money. A sedan with that build quality at 4.76L is really a good deal.

Also, I just love the interior ergonomics. the driving stance for me was just spot-on.

I wouldn't mind going in for an Ikon myself.
Old 11th March 2007, 17:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
That's another car that should have been stopped a long time ago. We know how HM and Maruti function (read Ambassador and Maruti 800).
WRT the M800, carmakers are not into charity. When they have made a sizeable investment on their tooling and dies, they are going to sell a product as long as they deem fit. If they have customers, good for them. If they think they are better off withdrawing a model and replacing it, they will do so.
Old 11th March 2007, 19:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

As of now i think the ikon can still go on for another year max without any major changes.i guess as long as the esteem is still running the ikon will run along side it...as soon as maruti makes a move with the esteem so will ford.
Old 11th March 2007, 20:18   #19
BHPian

I think the IKON should stay. It has buyers, it is tried and tested. A well built sedan with an ex showroom price of 4.76 l is a wonderful offer. Ford also needs it to keep up with the upcoming sedans that may come close to this price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
VERY TRUE! Ikon's 1.6 has the potential to beat Fiesta's 1.6. I prefer the Ikon 1.6 over the Fiesta's 1.6 anytime!!
I agree.. but it is also a fuel guzzler.
The 1.6 duratec though not as sporty as the IKON's 1.6 is still fun to drive, and better mileage (Mileage is my experience)
Old 12th March 2007, 10:39   #20
Team-BHP Support

A new lease of life to the Ikon... great news.
When the ikon still manages to get the sales charts moving, why would they discontinue it? Righty called Ford India's bread n butter model, it is definitely VFM. With respect to its competitors in that segment, its the better car anyday.

All they need to do now, is offer a TDCi engine on the Ikon, and they have a surefire winner (would kill the 1.4 Fiesta sales though).
Old 12th March 2007, 12:00   #21
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Wouldnt have to drive one wouldnt wanna see one ,this is one of those cars that I would never be seen driving dude.no offense to any Ikon owners.sorry if ive hurt your feelings
Old 12th March 2007, 12:00   #22
BHPian

I guess with the impending launch of the Logan, the CRDi version expected to be price at 5.5 lkhs, what if Ford fits in the 1.4 Fiesta Diesel Engine into the Ikon and price it at 5.5. I know its wishful thing, but if it does, man it would rock the entry level C segment diesel cars in India
Old 12th March 2007, 13:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by askicode View Post
I guess with the impending launch of the Logan, the CRDi version expected to be price at 5.5 lkhs, what if Ford fits in the 1.4 Fiesta Diesel Engine into the Ikon and price it at 5.5. I know its wishful thing, but if it does, man it would rock the entry level C segment diesel cars in India
seriously....that would just massacre indigo diesel sales, and prove to be a runaway success for Ford. so why is ford not doing that ????

i mean, they price the ikon TDCi at 5.5 or thereabouts, it would still be a good 2L cheaper than the Fiesta. So would it really cannibalise Fiesta sales ?? and as far as Ford is concerned, they have already earned enough and over, as has been mentioned earlier, from the Ikon.

So why are they not doing it ???
Old 13th March 2007, 13:59   #24
BANNED

Old wine in a new bottle !!!

Let's ask Ford to stop the production of Ikon since it's pretty outdated and sales are almost nil. Also, Ford cars has got the worst resale value in the market because of the huge maintenance costs.
Old 13th March 2007, 14:15   #25
Team-BHP Support

@Mithun : Let us also ask Maruti to stop production of the 800, the Esteem and so on if thats the point being put across.

Please get facts right before making such comments. If u dont like the Ikon dont bother, but please resist from such comments.
Old 13th March 2007, 14:16   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Today's newspaper is out marketing these old wine in a new bottle. Some changes are:-

Biege Interiors
Chrome exhaust trim
Alloy wheels ( this sounds VFM)
New instrument cluster
Spoiler

Dont know about the price, if it remains the same, then probably it could be VFM for some individuals.
Old 13th March 2007, 21:57   #27
BHPian

Hey, has anybody enquired about the price including the new option pack? Also, any idea how well beige interiors stand up to dust and grime... as in, is it bad enough to go for the black over beige? Not sure, but i think the accent and the NHC have been coming with beige interiors for some time...
Old 14th March 2007, 15:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
seriously....that would just massacre indigo diesel sales, and prove to be a runaway success for Ford. so why is ford not doing that ????

i mean, they price the ikon TDCi at 5.5 or thereabouts, it would still be a good 2L cheaper than the Fiesta. So would it really cannibalise Fiesta sales ??
So why are they not doing it ???
Of course it would cannibalise Fiesta and that's precisely why Ford isn't doing it. Buyers aren't fools to spend 2L more on a styling update that doesn't necessarily look better than its predecessor.
Old 14th March 2007, 15:54   #29
BHPian

4.76 Lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi) - as per Ford India website. Wonder how would logan match up to this. Looks real VFM?
Old 14th March 2007, 16:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Ford should put the Fiesta's 1.4 TDci 68 bhp engine into the Ikon to take on Logan, Indigo and Swift diesels. They should give the 1.6 Crdi 110bhp unit to the Fiesta so that it can stand head to head with the Verna.

Ford shouldn't get lazy just because the Fiesta is outselling the Verna at the moment.

Last edited by amit : 14th March 2007 at 16:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks