Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2020, 13:02   #136
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass facelift launch in early 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
So, if you need a Compass and in diesel automatic, it is available only with the 4*4. You can get the 4*2 only with the manual transmission.

The Compass diesel is very competent and I would recommend it. It is not the best automatic box around but you will learn to live with it. Good build quality, great ride and handling and a decent sized footprint for both city and highway rides.

I wouldn't recommend the petrol engine. The diesel is the one to go for.

Hard to recommend the 2021 Compass as there is hardly any info. Also of what we got to see is the China spec and not sure of what changes will be made for India. Also expect a bump up in prices.

Cannot also comment on the facelift Tucson as I have not seen it or driven it personally.
Thank you for your valuable views sir. That gives me tremendous confidence. And thanks for letting me know that 4x2 is not available as an automatic in Diesel. I will then try the manual transmission and the automatic and make a choice - albeit the automatic would be quite expensive and likely go beyond my budget! Given that I am not an off roader, I might be forced to give it a miss!
Old 22nd November 2020, 20:01   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumitra_joshi View Post
All in all, I wanted a fun to drive car yet I am plan to travel around with my family - the Boss (The Missus ) and two young boys and occasionally parents - which means that for next 2-3 years at least, 5 seat car would do for us).
[*]Do you think it is worth investing in 4x4 if you have never done off roading? Do you think it offers that "slight" advantage in case road conditions are bad?[*]Do you think it is worth going for an automatic 4x2 instead? Both the Missus as well as I have never driven an automatic so this is a fancy feature at the moment for us but would like some views of BHPians on this.[*]Should I even consider the petrol? I have always driven a petrol engine vehicle in India but the much higher torque of the diesel got me attracted to it. Any thoughts on that would be really appreciated![*]I know Jeep has limited service centers but is that a real hindrance? I am based out of Pune so I would reckon, locally I should get all the support. Should I consider the Tucson instead on that front?
Go for the AT. Your knee will thank you for it.

I haven't driven the Compass, but I have sat in it at my FNG and got a good idea of the space, vis a vis my Grand Vitara. For highway drives it is basically a 4 seater. And if your trip is for more that 5-6 days you may find the boot lacking.
It is a tight squeeze for 5 people in the city.
Now the main question:- how many kms per year will you do on family highway trips and how many kms in the city?
If the highway trips are more then you can look for a larger car like the Tata Harrier.
New Creta and Seltos are roughly the same internal size as the Compass but at a lower price point.(3 star crash rating is a drawback)
Or up your budget and go for the Tuscon AT. Long term maintenance will be costly for this.
At your stage of family even the Ecosport petrol AT will do. Cracker of a handler, sharp engine and gearbox. And full safety kit.
Jeep Compass Petrol AT could be considered only if you really like the driving experience.
If you have the budget get the 4x4. It helps tremendously in highway and ghats driving, particularly in the rains. Unfortunately with full safety kit you are looking at a budget of 28L for the Compass variant.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 22:26   #138
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to the Jeep dealer at Pune and he is offering me a discount of about 1.5 Lakhs as "relationship discount”.
I would check the manufacturing date of the unit they are offering you. I almost signed on the dotted line before finding out they are offering discounts only on old stock (January-February 2020 production).
Mustang Sammy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:27   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,
All in all, I wanted a fun to drive car yet I am plan to travel around with my family

I spoke to the Jeep dealer at Pune and he is offering me a discount of about 1.5 Lakhs as "relationship discount".
Do you think it is worth investing in 4x4 if you have never done off roading? Do you think it offers that "slight" advantage in case road conditions are bad?
  1. Do you think it is worth going for an automatic 4x2 instead? Both the Missus as well as I have never driven an automatic so this is a fancy feature at the moment for us but would like some views of BHPians on this.
  2. Is it worth waiting for the 2021 model which is likely to be more expensive? I plan to go for the Limited Plus trim and TBH, I am not looking forward to more gizmos than what is already there. So if the motor is the same, I am probably not very interested ...
  3. Should I even consider the petrol? I have always driven a petrol engine vehicle in India but the much higher torque of the diesel got me attracted to it. Any thoughts on that would be really appreciated!
  4. I know Jeep has limited service centers but is that a real hindrance? I am based out of Pune so I would reckon, locally I should get all the support. Should I consider the Tucson instead on that front?
If you want a fun car then the petrol AT is not an option. The powertrain on the petrol is miserable and is no better than a Creta. The DCT is laggy and this coupled with the turbo lag results in a horrible experience. Save yourself the money. I test drove it last year and I was baffled with the price it demanded.

The interiors are extremely small and based on my judgement even the Creta/Duster have better rear seat space. The Compass is a 4 seater at best.

Get the AT. Your knees will thank you in the long run.

A 1.5 lakh discount is low. Last I heard 2-2.5 lakh discounts were normal on old Compass stock. You won't get these discounts on the 2021. The Compass is not selling and the dealer will bend over backwards to make a sale at this point of time.

I would prefer the Tucson Diesel AT over the Compass anytime. Better kit, better service and a well entrenched OEM in India.

Last edited by yd_gli : 23rd November 2020 at 11:28.
yd_gli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:15   #140

The question is whether Jeep India will price this well to take the Harriers and Hectors of the world head on, or be delusional enough to peg themselves to the CBU Karoqs. Poor gearboxes and sparingly specc'ed dashes dont help much either.

I see this facelift to be a potential turnaround for the company or it may go the FCA way into oblivion.
Old 24th November 2020, 16:01   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican90 View Post
The question is whether Jeep India will price this well to take the Harriers and Hectors of the world head on
There is no question here, it's a given that the prices are only going to go up with every refresh/update. It's better to accept this fact and take a look at the upcoming product accordingly.

The only questions are -> What updates are coming to the Indian version of the compass? and
How much will be the price hike from JEEP?
Old 25th November 2020, 09:56   #142
Senior - BHPian

Nice facelift! I really like the subtle changes. They haven't ruined the exterior by going overboard.

And Jeep has paid attention where it matters - the interior. That was always the weak point. It looks modern now - and I love that they haven't skimped on those gorgeous big seats or the hefty door pads to make it look good in the showroom and brochures. The available room looks snug, but there is enough space in that cabin there. And these things matter in the long run once you start living with the car.

Now, the big question is how many more years will Jeep India take to get this here? Might be another example of a little too late!
Old 25th November 2020, 13:07   #143
BHPian

My only gripe here is with the nudge guard. Looks like even with this facelift, Jeep has still maintained the same alignment.

Why does it still stick out so low to the ground. 4×4 and SUV tags are worthless if the car has such a paltry ground clearance.
Old 1st December 2020, 14:25   #144
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I did a bit of research and could not find too many "worth the wait" changes in the compass facelift as compared to the outgoing one. Except the U connect5 and 10" infotainment system and they too lie in the "beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder" territory. But that is my view.

Wanted your opinions on whether its wise to go in for the current model if one can extract a good discount (say 2-2.5 lacs)? I have my eyes on the Limited Plus 4X2 MT. The AT was disappointing and I guess I dont need a 4X4.
Old 1st December 2020, 14:32   #145
Senior - BHPian

Jeep compass facelift spotted testing

Jeep Compass facelift launch in early 2021-20201201_143116.jpg

Jeep Compass facelift launch in early 2021-20201201_143119.jpg

Source : MotorBeam
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 15:33   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrokneel View Post
Hi Guys,

I did a bit of research and could not find too many "worth the wait" changes in the compass facelift as compared to the outgoing one.
I was almost going to pay booking amount for a Trailhawk last week (with an approx 2L discount), but after much pondering I figured that since this will be a long term vehicle for me, what's the harm in waiting 2-3 more months as I'm in no hurry.

A fresher product (although the same mechanically) and one that will have more than a few minor changes which all add up to being slightly substantial in my opinion. I am particularly keen on a wireless charger but not sure what all are they passing on the indian facelift. With FCA I do not have high hopes though, so if you're willing to forego the few 'minor' interior changes then get the existing stock for a much better deal.
Old 1st December 2020, 16:17   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
I was almost going to pay booking amount for a Trailhawk last week (with an approx 2L discount), but after much pondering I figured that since this will be a long term vehicle for me, what's the harm in waiting 2-3 more months as I'm in no hurry.

A fresher product (although the same mechanically) and one that will have more than a few minor changes which all add up to being slightly substantial in my opinion. I am particularly keen on a wireless charger but not sure what all are they passing on the indian facelift. With FCA I do not have high hopes though, so if you're willing to forego the few 'minor' interior changes then get the existing stock for a much better deal.
Seems like Jeep has stopped production of the old compass and the dealerships are busy getting the old stock cleared. The limited plus 4X4 AT, Limited Plus 4X4 MT are already out of stock.

The dealer is pushing the
Limited plus 4X2 MT
Longitude Plus 4X2 MT
Longitude plus 4X4 AT and the
Trailhawk

The discount being offered isn't too great (around 1.5 on the longitudes,1 on limited plus and 2 on the trailhawk). Seems like there is a rush to buy with these discounts or FCA just dosen't want to dilute the pricing further. I was expecting a good cut given that its the turn of the year and an outgoing model. Lets see if anything changes during the course of the month.
Old 1st December 2020, 17:44   #148
BHPian

A friend was offered a Trailhawk with the discount of above mentioned 2 lacs last week, I reckon this month the discount would be upwards of 2.5 or maybe 3. Its anyways overpriced and this discount was similarly offered last year (1.5-2 ) if I recollect, he politely gave them a counter offer of 3.5 off the sticker price and left the showroom, he's eagerly awaiting a call back from the sales chap hopefully soon.
Old 1st December 2020, 19:53   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
If you want a fun car then the petrol AT is not an option. The powertrain on the petrol is miserable and is no better than a Creta. The DCT is laggy and this coupled with the turbo lag results in a horrible experience. Save yourself the money. I test drove it last year and I was baffled with the price it demanded.
I am a Compass petrol AT owner for the past 1.5 yrs, have been on many long distant trails covering hills, snow, sand, rock etc and i do not agree with the above opinion. The powertrain is good. The gearbox was slow to start with but post first service it is a lot better. While the engine may not be as good as the 2.0 diesel, but I have never felt it lag on power required, and it behaves like a big engine, not a 1.4.

Between the 2.0 diesel and the 1.4 petrol, i would always advise the former, but the latter is not as bad as it is made out to be.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:01   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
I am a Compass petrol AT owner for the past 1.5 yrs, have been on many long distant trails covering hills, snow, sand, rock etc and i do not agree with the above opinion. The powertrain is good. The gearbox was slow to start with but post first service it is a lot better. While the engine may not be as good as the 2.0 diesel, but I have never felt it lag on power required, and it behaves like a big engine, not a 1.4.

Between the 2.0 diesel and the 1.4 petrol, i would always advise the former, but the latter is not as bad as it is made out to be.
Can you please shed some light on the fuel economy you get
There has been a lot of discussion in the past regarding the low fuel economy of the 1.4 AT
Your first hand experience will really help potential buyers like me
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks