Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2020, 19:56   #46
BHPian

Re: Why it's important to offer the right engines + AT gearboxes + variants at the time of launch

Excellent thread.

I have always found the lack of options offered in India intriguing. Also, apart from engine, gearbox options there is also a lack of safety equipment in some options which I find very annoying. Even in a car with multiple engine/gearbox options like the Seltos the top trim Tech line gets 2 airbags but GT line gets 6? Why compromise on safety?

One thing someone told me was, whenever a buyer comes to buy a car, the salesman is advised to try to sell him the more expensive option or get them to upgrade. But not having the option available in any version is surely going to drive the customer away.

That said, not having an AT option these days in any new launch car is almost criminal.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th April 2020 at 20:07. Reason: Typo
Amsdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 19:40   #47
BHPian

Re: Why it's important to offer the right engines + AT gearboxes + variants at the time of launch

A question.

I agree with everyone on the thread.
Amazing thread and very valid points by everyone else indeed.

But all his matters for the manufacturers.
Does any of it matter for us car owners?
Except for maybe having to wait for the variant we want. If they launch it late, they lose out on sales. But we get a car we want in the end and the only thing we lose out is time.. isn’t it? Am I missing something?
Old 8th September 2020, 20:12   #48
BHPian

Great thread, just wondering if sometimes common sense takes a backseat in the manufacturer's minds for something so obvious. Especially harrier is so under equipped. How tough is it to include a auto-dimming rear view mirror during launch? And XUV300 & Nexon without nonAMT gearbox options is just blasphemy in my opinion. Every manufacturer should circulate this post internally as a case study.
Old 8th September 2020, 23:17   #49
BHPian

Brilliantly written GTO!!

I've bookmarked this for future reading/reference.

With so much at stake to create the right first impression and a lasting perception, carmakers simply need to do all the homework and groundwork necessary to offer their best options to begin with.

I sometimes wonder if some of them really do any market research at all !!
Old 6th February 2021, 21:15   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant, brilliant analysis! Thank you for putting everything I have felt about variant mix and gearbox offerings into words. The auto industry should pay the likes of McKinsey millions for this kind of analysis, and they're getting it for free here. Well...hope they learn and give the customer what they want!

The graveyard of poor variant selection is littered with corpses: Kicks, Civic, Harrier and Compass among others. The latter two strike very close to my heart since I recently bought a Kia Seltos GTX+ AT diesel after considering both the Harrier AT and the Compass (in whatever variant fit closest to my budget). For all the factors listed in this piece, neither became a serious contender and it became a straight race between the Kia and its Korean cousin. To be fair, Hyundai also suffered from a very specific strain of this disease (not offering the AT in highest trim) but seem to have now learned from their prior stupidity.

Sometimes I sit and ponder how much nicer if it would have been to have a Harrier or Compass parked in the garage if only someone at Tata/Fiat had read this article a couple of years ago!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks