Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:35   #1
BHPian

Precautions while taking test-drives or getting cars serviced post the lockdown?

Hello all, I just had this question in mind.

In certain threads, I had seen that some people were thinking of buying new cars. For that to happen, they would need to take a test drive first obviously. I just want to know from all - if you had to take a test drive (say a month after lockdown), what precautions would you want the dealer to observe? Or would you check out a friend's car instead (if considering the same car)?
nikhilthegunner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:53   #2
BANNED

re: Precautions while taking test-drives or getting cars serviced post the lockdown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
In certain threads, I had seen that some people were thinking of buying new cars. For that to happen, they would need to take a test drive first obviously. I just want to know from all - if you had to take a test drive (say a month after lockdown), what precautions would you want the dealer to observe? Or would you check out a friend's car instead (if considering the same car)?
Sanitizers shall be a norm at every doorstep wherever public movement is higher like a hotel, restaurant, malls and most if not all dealerships too. Also, the dealer would mostly have to start maintaining a sanitation checklist, especially for the TD-specific cars and areas where the human touch is the highest.

I think, providing TD's at the doorstep may also help the situation if there is a chance.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 12:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Precautions while taking test-drives or getting cars serviced post the lockdown?

When barbers are contemplating on one-time use and disposable chair covers for their customers once the salons open up, we can expect a lot more from car dealerships too.

Sanitizers, disposable gloves, disinfecting car interiors on regular basis etc should now become a norm with every dealer because it is not only going to help the dealership staff but also the potential buyers.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 13:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
When barbers are contemplating on one-time use and disposable chair covers for their customers once the salons open up, we can expect a lot more from car dealerships too.

Sanitizers, disposable gloves, disinfecting car interiors on regular basis etc should now become a norm with every dealer because it is not only going to help the dealership staff but also the potential buyers.

Heheheheh, car dealers might decide to use a one-time plastic seat cover for your test drive (like they do when you leave your car for service) and insist that it be used, thereby depriving you of the actual feel of the seat.

They could also insist on covering the steering wheel with a similar cover, again not giving you a complete experience.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 16:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Hello all, I just had this question in mind.

A very genuine concern you raised mate! Makes me wonder.

No matter how much one tries - sanitizing a car is a near impossible task. Only the probability of exposure reduces. A TD car gets driven by countless people in a day (unless it is a non selling model!). Nobody will be able to completely sanitize and disinfect it those many times in the day. They can "show" it being done by applying sanitizers on the steering, handles etc. but I don't think seats and other areas can be assured. If one must take a TD, it better be at the door step, customer should use generous amount of sanitizer, ensure social distancing by asking the SA to stay out and take a TD alone. Upon return, jump into a bath with dettol, throw the clothes for a thorough wash with hot water. I think thats the best possible.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 16:31   #6
BHPian

In my opinion, the chance of contamination will be mainly through mouth/nose via hands.
Other places like clothes will be minimal as the density will be less unless the car was occupied by a Covid patient who might have sneezed/cough inside the car. This can easily be avoided by taking temperature of the person.

Then won't it be simple just to provide a pair of disposable gloves and may be a mask. Not sure if it happens. If this happens, dealer may insist on payment for the same which may be re-imbursed if you actually book the vehicle.

Last edited by girishv : 22nd April 2020 at 16:35. Reason: Better readability
Old 22nd April 2020, 16:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
A very genuine concern you raised mate! Makes me wonder.

No matter how much one tries - sanitizing a car is a near impossible task. Only the probability of exposure reduces. A TD car gets driven by countless people in a day (unless it is a non selling model!). Nobody will be able to completely sanitize and disinfect it those many times in the day. They can "show" it being done by applying sanitizers on the steering, handles etc. but I don't think seats and other areas can be assured. If one must take a TD, it better be at the door step, customer should use generous amount of sanitizer, ensure social distancing by asking the SA to stay out and take a TD alone. Upon return, jump into a bath with dettol, throw the clothes for a thorough wash with hot water. I think thats the best possible.

Its not this big of an issue, there are various disinfectant sprays available. I got a pair of Dettol Sprays and I believe they will be perfect in sprayed near the steering, doors and centre console cause I believe those are areas with most amount of saliva droplets released while talking, etc
Old 22nd April 2020, 16:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Its not this big of an issue, there are various disinfectant sprays available. I got a pair of Dettol Sprays and I believe they will be perfect in sprayed near the steering, doors and centre console cause I believe those are areas with most amount of saliva droplets released while talking, etc
Like I also said, these areas can easily be sanitized with simple gels or liquids like Sterlilium. Problem is seats and seat fabrics. Most of our body actually touches these and these aren't easy to sanitize with gels or sprays due to their absorbent nature and sheer size. Our clothing that comes in contact can easily pickup the virus which is known to stay active for hours on most surfaces - which is what makes it such a dangerously contagious infection in first place.
Old 22nd April 2020, 16:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The best solution would be to use a good quality plastic cover on the seats, make sure that the customers use hand sanitizers and give them gloves.

It will be one hard time for the dealership if the car in question is doing well. They will need to employ a dedicated guy just to sanitize the car. And what if I tag along 5 of my family members for the TD. That's 5 separate seat covers and gloves just for our TD. They will need a truck load at the end of the day. In such a case, they will need to allow pre-booking of TD's which will be difficult to manage for a car that's in great demand.

All of these would work for luxury cars, but for a mass market car it can work but it's hard work for them.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 17:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

I will personally be wearing my disposable gloves, masks, full face helmet on top and washable rain suits over regular clothes so no part of my skin remains exposed. Probably going to seal the gap around the helmet visors and vents with duct tapes.
Old 22nd April 2020, 17:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

More than the test drives at present, am really worried about the servicing part for our cars. Two of our cars have service due next month and i will take pick n drop once the lockdown lifts as i have no plans of going in to workshops now.

The issue is that so many people enter and touch the cars while being serviced and its next to impossible to sanitise the car. The only thing possible is not to touch the car or sit inside once its back from service for 5-7 days as the virus is active for the said time on different surfaces. This is only possible for folks who own multiple cars.

Request members to be careful when you give your cars for scheduled service or repairs for the next couple of months and keep this is mind, please use pick/drop and avoid going yourself, take all necessary precautions.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 21:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw this ad from Ford sales team. Hope other companies will take the same measures too.

Precautions while taking test-drives or getting cars serviced post the lockdown?-eb99e2947bfe4ea3a926eec4aee7dcd4.png
Samba is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:00   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Precautions while taking test-drives or getting cars serviced post the lockdown?

I will be avoiding any & all public places for a while; that includes restaurants, cinemas, car dealerships etc. If & when I were to TD a car at a dealer, I'd wear gloves, a mask, and my sunglasses (read that eyewear can also help prevent the spread). During the TD, I would keep all the windows rolled down, make the sales guy sit on the backseat, and tell him to cough/sneeze facing outside (not inside the car). If I can test-drive the car alone, nothing like it. Post the test-drive, I would dispose of my gloves & mask, go home and get a change of clothes too.

The car brands are very serious about sanitizing cars. Whoever we're co-ordinating media cars with (post-lockdown), we've been specifically told that the cars will be completely sanitized before being handed over to us.

For servicing, frankly, I just prefer pickup & drop-off facilities. When the car comes back, I won't drive it for two days and then have my house help completely sanitize the car using a cloth + some disinfectant.

Last edited by navin : 23rd April 2020 at 13:03. Reason: typos and "sanitize" you can use disinfect but not "desantize"
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:14   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Precautions while taking test-drives or getting cars serviced post the lockdown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When the car comes back, I won't drive it for two days and then have my house help completely desanitize the car using a cloth + some disinfectant.
Is there any product which will totally fumigate the interior, post which we can leave it locked for ~2 hours? This will hopefully guarantee that all bugs are killed off inside the vehicle.

I remember my childhood days when we used to do 'pest control' which meant sealing each room and fumigating it with a chemical, which would guarantee all cockroaches etc would be dead.
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:21   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Is there any product which will totally fumigate the interior, post which we can leave it locked for ~2 hours? This will hopefully guarantee that all bugs are killed off inside the vehicle.
Don't know, but if the news of heat killing the coronavirus are true, roll up all your windows and park the car under the direct sun. Two days of "hot oven treatment" ought to do the trick. Then, wipe down all the touch points (steering, gearlever, doorpad, buttons & controls etc.).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks