Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2020, 16:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Covid-19: MG provides 100 Hector SUVs for relief workers

MG is providing 100 Hector SUVs for doctors, medical staff, police and the local government officials fighting the Covid-19 pandemic in India.

Covid-19: MG provides 100 Hector SUVs for relief workers-mghector06.jpg

The SUVs will be provided free of cost, along with fuel and drivers. The cars will be supplied via MG's dealer network. MG will follow the recently introduced 'MG Disinfect and Deliver' process to deploy these Hectors.

MG had announced a donation of Rs. 2 crore for government hospitals and health institutions providing medical assistance in Gurgaon and Halol in Gujarat. The carmaker is providing gloves, masks, ventilators, medicines and beds.

MG is also planning to manufacture ventilators at its Halol plant in Gujarat.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 17:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Covid-19: MG provides 100 Hector SUVs for relief workers

First of all kudos to MG for this initiative. I am curious about what is going to happen to those 100 Hectors when the pandemic ends and they no longer are needed.

My views on this news are.
  1. The company might be looking at wiping out any Chinese image that it has right now. In these tough times, there is some negativity around everything related to China. My view but I might be completely wrong!
  2. MG also might get some more (more is always good) brand visibility from Government sectors and they might get more bookings from the Govt.
  3. Good acts and things like these will be remembered by people and hope it might help the company in the long run.
  4. One good thing is that the drivers are from MG, which means that the cars will be in the safest possible hands.

Last edited by vijayshouree : 22nd April 2020 at 17:35.
vijayshouree is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 18:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayshouree View Post
[*]The company might be looking at wiping out any Chinese image that it has right now. In these tough times, there is some negativity around everything related to China. My view but I might be completely wrong![/list]
This is some quick on the feet thinking. Kudos to whoever thought of this.

Another point is that India recently banned FDI from China as well. So this might be some form of PR exercise.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 01:05   #4
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Off Topic pertaining to the Virus, but extremely thoughtful on MG's Management, even though the expected result might be positive marketing

No wonder MG is hitting it out of the park. Like GTO mentioned on another thread that MG and Kia's entry in India are truly B-School case study materials

Coronavirus Pandemic: MG Provides 100 Hector SUVs to Frontline Workers Till May 2020

Automobile manufacturer MG Motor India on Wednesday said that it will provide 100 MG Hector SUVs to doctors, medical staff, police and local government officials for community service across the country, till the end of May 2020.

Accordingly, the carmaker will provide 100 Hector SUVs free-of-cost to support the national effort to overcome COVID-19. "All the cars would be provided along with fuel and drivers and will be used to ensure that the key stakeholders in this crisis, such as doctors, medical staff, police and local government authorities can travel safely as the Indian government intensifies its battle against COVID-19," the company said in a statement.

"The cars will be supplied via MG's nationwide network of dealers during the lockdown as per state government rules." As per the statement, the carmaker will follow the recently introduced ‘MG Disinfect and Deliver' process to deploy these 100 Hector SUVs.

"MG Motor has been offering support to communities during the current pandemic situation," the statement said. "The carmaker has donated ventilators and distributed Health and Hygiene Kits, PPE kits, Surgical Masks, Gloves, Sanitizers, Sanitizer Sprayers, Food and Ration Kits to combat the coronavirus threat."

Link to article below:

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/good-...ezW?li=AAgfYGb
amit_2025 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 11:42   #5
BHPian

Chinese definitely will face a tough time in India, Chinese People are already facing the backlash from people (I've heard of Chinese who're here in India have not been getting fair treatment from Indians as the Virus has been thought to be a courtesy of the Chinese)

In the past 1 month of lockdown: MG has been very active trying hard to hide its Chinese Origin.

All their works are very positive so as to create a positive buzz in the market

- Donating 100 Hectors for relief work (100 ZS EV in the UK)
- Making medical equipment (ventilators) with some company
- Sanitizing Car with (Medklinn)
- Mr.Chaba going live on radios & TV Shows (ABP news)
- Announcement of no pay cuts or job cuts
- Model launches as per schedule

However, with other negative Chinese news will act adversely in customer mindset. (news such as)
- Sub Standard PPE Kits & other Medical equipment from China supplied to India
- Chinese takeover of prominent businesses globally (increasing stakes in HDFC Bank / Volvo Cars)

I think MG always feared Indo China disputes & now the so called Chinese Corona Virus. These factors will inevitably affect MG Motors in India
FIAT3031 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 11:59   #6
BHPian

The way MG is struggling to maintain its "Good" image in India, I sincerely hope that this serves as a lesson and deterrent to other Chinese automotive companies who are dreaming of starting operations in India. I'm getting immense sadistic pleasure seeing MG frantically performing so many PR stunts to save themselves from the wrath of common Indians, who will be quite apprehensive about Chinese origin products.
But SAIC motors as played a masterstroke by entering India disguised as MG motors and fooling common and uninformed folks by portraying their vehicles as that of British origin. This might protect their sales and image to some extent.
Storm2.0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 13:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

I hope the same people keep venting their anger at desi manufacturers who still rely on imports from China to build every single vehicle they sell.

Most Viewed