Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2020, 12:05   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by purb_du View Post
BUT what really blown me away was the sheer power of the engine post about 1700-1800 rpm. It took me by surprise and really had to recalibrate my grip on the steering which was precise and responsive.
Feedback like this from an initial test drive leaves me very happy. I am one of those who like underrated cars/ underdog brands to succeed in our market - after all, that is what is going to bring more diversity and variants here in the long run. I have been a fan of the solid build and handsome looks of the Kicks from the time that it launched in the market, even though I knew it would be a failure given the low brand equity that Nissan has here. The car was begging for a powerful engine and now that it is here, I hope the Kicks gets a fresh lease of life. After all, it is the era of turbo petrols and the fact that the Kicks has got a stonker of a turbo petrol makes me happy.

Hoping for more test drive reports from members in the coming days. Definitely do not want this car to fade into oblivion like the last one did.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 13:16   #197
Senior - BHPian

The turbo petrol performed better than the Korean Turbo Diesels? Wow, this I must check out! One of my pet peeves in Indian Kicks was the area around hand brake. Felt tacky. Even the hand-to-controls geometry was uncomfortable. The hard plastics gave it a cheap feel. Any marked improvements in interiors? Please fill us in
Quote:
engine felt way more powerful and accelerated way better than the 1.4 Turbo Gdi of the Korean brands. Do check it out.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 13:47   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The turbo petrol performed better than the Korean Turbo Diesels? Wow, this I must check out! One of my pet peeves in Indian Kicks was the area around hand brake. Felt tacky. Even the hand-to-controls geometry was uncomfortable. The hard plastics gave it a cheap feel. Any marked improvements in interiors? Please fill us in
The interiors and exterior was just like before. It was a manual so I cannot really comment on the CVT console. It is definitely not plush or spacious inside as the Seltos/Creta but I was more interested in checking out the engine performance and it did bring a grin.

I personally can do away with segment best interiors like a big sunroof or a touchscreen for eg. for something which is powerful and enjoyable to drive. And I think with time the controls and ergonomics feels in place and especially when we upgrade across category/segment things might feel out of place initially.
purb_du is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:02   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Feedback like this from an initial test drive leaves me very happy. I am one of those who like underrated cars/ underdog brands to succeed in our market - after all, that is what is going to bring more diversity and variants here in the long run. I have been a fan of the solid build and handsome looks of the Kicks from the time that it launched in the market, even though I knew it would be a failure given the low brand equity that Nissan has here. The car was begging for a powerful engine and now that it is here, I hope the Kicks gets a fresh lease of life. After all, it is the era of turbo petrols and the fact that the Kicks has got a stonker of a turbo petrol makes me happy.

Hoping for more test drive reports from members in the coming days. Definitely do not want this car to fade into oblivion like the last one did.

Absolutely ! Nissan is known for its legendary SUVs and hopefully it is able to do something with the Kicks this time around. I feel it is priced well enough for what it offers with this modern and powerful engine along with its looks. Only thing that worries me a bit is its after sales service.
purb_du is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 13:57   #200
BHPian

Is the ride quality of Nissan Kicks similar to that of Kia Seltos or is it better?
Old 8th June 2020, 14:00   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
Is the ride quality of Nissan Kicks similar to that of Kia Seltos or is it better?
Kicks ride quality is noticeably better than that of Seltos. Seltos' strong point is definitely not great ride quality.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 14:02   #202
KPR
BANNED

Has anyone who had earlier driven a fiat's Tjet / Abarth TDed this 1.3L turbo petrol? What is the feedback?
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 15:28   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a recent youtube drive review of the Kicks 1.3 manual, that seems quite detailed (in Hindi) and reasonably balanced. The reviewer says that once the engine crosses 2000 rpm, there is absolutely nothing like it - very punchy and free-revving. It easily beats the Creta/Seltos 1.4 TGDI engines according to this guy. He says the steering is a bit hard, but gear shifting is soft. Interesting fact he talks about is that it has the least turning radius in the segment. Major flaw pointed out is the lack of dead pedal on the manual variant.

84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 17:34   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Interesting fact he talks about is that it has the least turning radius in the segment. Major flaw pointed out is the lack of dead pedal on the manual variant.
Yes, the Kicks as we all know is on the same platform as the Duster/Terrano/Captur. Among its many strong points like its suspensions, ride quality and ground clearance, is its turning radius .

You can easily squeeze into the small lanes and take right angled turns with ease.

Likewise the same irritating drawbacks are also shared . The lack of a dead pedal for one!.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 22:19   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Major flaw pointed out is the lack of dead pedal on the manual variant.
Dead pedal is not a major flaw IMO, atleast to me. I have used cars with dead pedal on long journeys and realized I don’t use them and tend to pull my feet back. I am not sure how many feel this way.

Last edited by manson : 11th June 2020 at 18:30. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Godzilla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 14:40   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all. Just had a very short test drive of the 1.3 Turbo petrol manual Nissan Kicks.
Thank you for posting it.

As many mentioned, there seem to be some quarantine on Nissan kicks, as no major auto magazines have reviewed it yet. Being an enthusiasts' community, I recommend we take the lead in road-testing it.

Let me do my bit too.

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 11th June 2020 at 14:42.
WhiteKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 00:55   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Thank you for posting it.

As many mentioned, there seem to be some quarantine on Nissan kicks, as no major auto magazines have reviewed it yet. Being an enthusiasts' community, I recommend we take the lead in road-testing it.

Let me do my bit too.
True and I second that. Was wondering just today why such a response from major auto mags/channels etc, considering this particular 1.3 Turbo petrol engine created quite a buzz in the 2020 Autoexpo.

There is no lockdown now and test drive vehicles are available. On the contrary people were desperate to review the competitor product even during lockdown.
purb_du is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 09:51   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True and I second that. Was wondering just today why such a response from major auto mags/channels etc, considering this particular 1.3 Turbo petrol engine created quite a buzz in the 2020 Autoexpo.

There is no lockdown now and test drive vehicles are available. On the contrary people were desperate to review the competitor product even during lockdown.
All the reviews and walk-arounds so far have been of the 1.3 Manual, have not seen a single review or video of the XTronic CVT in any of the showrooms.

I guess there may have been supply chain delays in sourcing the CVT gearboxes, as it is most likely fully imported. Previously Nissan only had the CVT for the 1.5 NA version of the Kicks being manufactured in India, which has less than 150 NM of Torque. I bet the 1.3 Turbo CVT, with its 254 NM of torque, will require a different CVT box, able to handle heavy torque loads. Nissan may be holding off test drives until they have the CVT units of the Kicks 1.3 available, since it is always better to put the best forward and release the most complete and feature rich version to the media.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th June 2020 at 09:52.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 10:48   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

A detailed walkaround video of the new Kicks 1.3L Turbo petrol, courtesy DJ Bro @ Auto Trend:

RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 18:28   #210
GBX
BHPian

Any videos showing this remote engine start in action? It's nice to see it available on a MT car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks